Author Topic: The Wire for Newbies and Those Still Watching... No spoilers  (Read 355936 times)

Offline Sinos

• itis
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Wire
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2008, 05:55:06 pm »
3 is already up on places like eztv.it if you go and look
My ass cheeks clapped together louder than an excited Latino man with maracas... I had just laid the mightiest fudge dragon ever known to mankind in its very own water bath.

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/tybuq/did_you_ever_think_you_were_going_to_die_from_a/

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2008, 06:02:32 pm »
3 is already up on places like eztv.it if you go and look

As a pre-air, though.

From tv.com
Next episode: Not For Attribution
"They're dead where it doesn't count." - Fletcher

Airs: Sunday January 20, 2008

Ep4 won't air til the 27th, so unless there's a pre-air release it won't be around until after that date.

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2008, 06:16:16 pm »
The shows come out a week early on HBO on demand that's why they're always up on torrents early.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2008, 06:21:33 pm »
fucking love the omar character (no not like that! ;)) one of the best characters and acting performances (from Michael K. Williams) i can remember on tv. everytime he comes on screen hes the focus, even in small parts, and he steals pretty much every scene he stars in. hope the actor goes on to star in a few more films and chooses some good roles cos he is incredibly talented. he has a brief cameo in Gone Baby Gone.

some of my favourite quotes!

State's Attorny Ilene Nathan: Mr. Little, how does a man rob drug dealers for eight or nine years and live to tell about it?
Omar: Day at a time I suppose?

Omar: Ayo, lesson here, Bey. You come at the king, you best not miss.

Omar: All in the game yo, all in the game.

Det. James 'Jimmy' McNulty: I got to ask you. If every time Snotboogie would grab the money and run away, why'd you even let him in the game?
Witness: What?
Det. James 'Jimmy' McNulty: If Snotboogie always stole the money, why'd you let him play?
Witness: You got to, this is America, man.

Det. Ellis Carver: You know, this is why I think we can't win this.
Det. Thomas Hauk: How come?
Det. Ellis Carver: They screw up, they get beaten. We screw up, we get a pension.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2008, 07:55:59 pm »
There's a couple of folks from The Wire in a miniseries that was on last year called The Kill Point, Omar, Johnny Weeks and Bodie. Decent little series.

I miss Bodie :'(

Offline ConnieLFC

• New York family capo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes?
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2008, 08:10:29 pm »
Same here, Claire!  One of my faves.

Reckon he had to spit at the audition?   ;D   Brilliant that a bodily function could so define a character.

Offline Rorus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2008, 08:15:38 pm »
The shows come out a week early on HBO on demand that's why they're always up on torrents early.

That's it. Show's on Monday coming so the torrent'll be after that.

Shh ;)

There's a couple of folks from The Wire in a miniseries that was on last year called The Kill Point, Omar, Johnny Weeks and Bodie. Decent little series.

Have you heard of The Corner. By the Same guy (David Simon) as the Wire and has Lester (Clarke Peters) among others. Also David Simon wrote most of Homicide: Life on the Street. It's set in B'more and (I thought) was pretty good for it's time. Better than NYPD Blue anyway.
"Give evil nothing to oppose, and it will disappear by itself" Tao Teh King

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2008, 08:22:15 pm »
Same here, Claire!  One of my faves.

Reckon he had to spit at the audition?   ;D   Brilliant that a bodily function could so define a character.

;D He definitely had it down to a fine art.

Have you heard of The Corner. By the Same guy (David Simon) as the Wire and has Lester (Clarke Peters) among others. Also David Simon wrote most of Homicide: Life on the Street. It's set in B'more and (I thought) was pretty good for it's time. Better than NYPD Blue anyway.

Nope, but looks good, see if i can grab it. Ta :wave
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 08:25:57 pm by Claire. »

Offline Walshy7

• metete un palo por el culo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Its evolution baby
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2008, 09:14:07 pm »
two episodes to go in season 2, just in time for season 3 premiere next week on fx
'You two scousers are always yappin, im gonna teach you some serious rappin, i come from Jamaica my name is john barnes, and when i do my thing the crowd go bananas'

Offline Rorus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2008, 10:10:02 pm »
Nope, but looks good, see if i can grab it. Ta :wave

I'm sure I saw it on Piratebay earlier. No worries  :wave

two episodes to go in season 2, just in time for season 3 premiere next week on fx

The last 2 of season 2 are some of the best TV I've seen. Fantastic how they weave the series to it's conclusion.

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Gay for Dirk, wants him naked.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2008, 08:14:06 am »
'Dee' Angelo (as you can see) and Bubbles are my favourite characters. Hooked on the first season again now, and these characters are by far the most 'chained' to their situation and the most unhappy about it. Bubbles wants to get clean, but still has to keep up his informant-role to make something out of his life, so still has to go to the projects and get tempted. D'Angelo isn't cut out for the streets and has lots of moral objections against how his uncle runs things. But it's the only thing he knows.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 08:16:26 am by Henry Chinaski »
"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'"
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2008, 09:19:22 am »
love the way bubbles say "mcnuldy!"

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2008, 09:23:58 am »
'Dee' Angelo (as you can see) and Bubbles are my favourite characters. Hooked on the first season again now, and these characters are by far the most 'chained' to their situation and the most unhappy about it. Bubbles wants to get clean, but still has to keep up his informant-role to make something out of his life, so still has to go to the projects and get tempted. D'Angelo isn't cut out for the streets and has lots of moral objections against how his uncle runs things. But it's the only thing he knows.

I see your Dee, and raise you a String.

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2008, 09:30:00 am »
I see your Dee, and raise you a String.
This product is elastic, yo!
"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'"
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2008, 09:32:51 am »
This product is elastic, yo!

Stringer is The Man. The Dapper Don.

Amazing to think he's a Londoner.

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2008, 09:33:52 am »
Amazing to think he's a Londoner.
Just saw that. He's the black Silvio Dante.
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2008, 09:43:48 am »
This scene is among the best ever on telly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQbsnSVM1zM
Most of the scenes between McNulty and Bunk, dialogues and physical expressions, are sheer class anyway.
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2008, 10:10:48 am »
This scene is among the best ever on telly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQbsnSVM1zM
Most of the scenes between McNulty and Bunk, dialogues and physical expressions, are sheer class anyway.

The first season is brilliant; well, they all are, but lets just say you have many treats for you in store if you are only up to the first season.

I am very envious of you.

Just lent my sister and her husband the first three seasons; spread the wealth so to speak.
Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Offline Rorus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2008, 10:54:37 am »

I've got to agree it's one of the finest uses of 'fuck' and it's derivatives I've had the pleasure of watching.

The first season is brilliant; well, they all are, but lets just say you have many treats for you in store if you are only up to the first season.

Omar in court in season 2 had me excited like a child on christmas day!

1-7 of 5 are down now. I'm gona get busy with this shit.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 10:56:40 am by Rorus »

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2008, 11:33:07 am »
Omar is a stone cold legend. So many fantastic characters but he's right up there with String, Brother Mouzone and McNulty.

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2008, 12:21:44 pm »
Omar is a stone cold legend. So many fantastic characters but he's right up there with String, Brother Mouzone and McNulty.

The characters in the show are so memorable, even the side characters - think of Butchie who is an ace character associated with Omar. I remember the scene where Butchie realises something is going on in Omar's world; Omar senses this and asks:"What do you see, Butchie?" Butchie: "Too much, boy, too much." Great line from someone who is blind.

Every character is so deep in this show - no cardboard cutouts. Just like real life. Mind you if I ever see Brother Mouzone coming towards me in real life I think I will shit myself!

Still pissed off this series only has 10 episodes. Deserved 15. Series 4 was just right at 13....series 5 feels like it should have more time to round things off.

Fucking bean counters at HBO - great for them to give The Wire people the chance to do what they've done for the 4 previous series, but series 5 really deserves more.
Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Offline Walshy7

• metete un palo por el culo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Its evolution baby
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2008, 04:21:39 pm »
finished season 2 lat night, season 3 starts next week, very , very good
'You two scousers are always yappin, im gonna teach you some serious rappin, i come from Jamaica my name is john barnes, and when i do my thing the crowd go bananas'

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2008, 07:52:21 pm »
love the way bubbles say "mcnuldy!"
I think he says 'McNutty' which suits the character better.

As State Senator Davis would say: 'Shiiiiiiiiittt'
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Consigliere

• Through a glass darkly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2008, 08:09:41 pm »
Does Clay Davis remind anyone of Cleveland from The Family Guy?

Incidentally, I have a question about one of the developing plots in Series 5...

Spoiler
Why do the senior management at the newspaper always favour that young bloke reporter who comes out with the suggestions for stories? Is he related to them or something? Why do they keep on overulling the seasoned sub-editor? (the black guy with bald head) in preference to the young guy
[close]

Offline Rorus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2008, 08:33:58 pm »

He's the boy Omar. Great dialogue, perfectly delivered. Ice cold but with a heart of gold. Not many TV shows would have dared place a openly gay character so prominently. Credit to the actor for playing him so well. The writers planned to have him killed off in Season 1 but simply couldn't on the strength of his performance.

String's the shit too. Consumate, cynical executive 'playa'. Him and Avon toegether was a great bit of casting.

Still pissed off this series only has 10 episodes. Deserved 15. Series 4 was just right at 13....series 5 feels like it should have more time to round things off.

I've seen up to 7 and am wondering how they plan to cram so much in. Some crazy, crazy shit going down in that mutha fucka. Reflects the times maybe.
Why does shameful, hack written shite like 24 and lost get a free reign and blank cheques and The Wire has to fight for viewers and ultimately it's survival?

I think he says 'McNutty' which suits the character better.

'Hey McNutty! My mainest man'.

One of my favorite bit's of dialogue from the show.

Poot: "It's a cold world, Bodie" 

Bodie: "Thought you said it was getting warmer?"

Poot: "The world goin' one way, people another"

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2008, 08:49:07 pm »
Another great quote-
Dialogue from 3rd season (don't worry, no spoilers)
Carcetti is wondering about running for mayor.

His advisor (Wilson?) says that Spiro Agnew became vice-president for Nixon after being mayor of Baltimore.
Carcetti: 'Agnew? That asshole?'
Wilson: 'Hey, one man's asshole is another man's vice-president'
Carcetti: 'True now more than ever'.

Brilliant
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Rorus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2008, 08:56:16 pm »

Incidentally, I have a question about one of the developing plots in Series 5...

Spoiler
I figure he represents the prevalence towards 'more with less' in most modern media. They plan to print wishy washy crap (as opposed to rigourous, investigative journalism) and have an eye for the kind of bull shitter they need. Maybe the writers were inspired by the NY Times journalist, Michael Finkel, sacked for falsifying elements of his stories.
[close]

Offline Hoodfella

• Attention seeker. ENT Speciallist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Strictly Morrocan Hashish - No Skunk here son!
    • TRIGGS VEGA
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2008, 09:13:35 pm »
Yep, one of the best shows ever. No doubt. Could wax lyrical for ages, but it has just about been covered by you all.

All I want to add is if you love The Wire, YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST watch the EMMY AWARD WINNING series 'THE CORNER'. It is based on  true story and is an offshoot of The Wire and is of course set on the same Baltimore corners (or Baltiless as they say in Playmakers!!).
It is hard hitting and ties in nicely with The Wire to see really where all the money was coming from for the dealers.

Don't know if you all know that The Wire is based on Melvin Williams (well mainly the First and Third Series as Avon Barksdale), anyway, point is if you are interested in seeing an episode of 'American Gangsters' which is a show on BET in the  States, which talks to him and covers his drug dealing and legend.

Will look for the links to the torrents of the above to programs. D/load if you can, you wont be disappointed.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 09:32:50 pm by Hoodfella »
If you really want to do something, you will find a way. If you don't, you will find an excuse.

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. 

Plato o Plomo - Pablo Escobar.

Hashish is both the cause of and solution to all of my problems!

Offline Hoodfella

• Legacy Fan
    • TRIGGS VEGA
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2008, 09:26:06 pm »
American Gangsters Season 2 Episode 3

http://www.fulldls.com/torrent-tv-792545.html

The Corner from HBO
Season One Complete - 6 Episodes

http://www.fulldls.com/torrent-tv-808657.html

Let me know what you think if you snatch any of these, the first might be a litlle harder to get, not many seeds, though I am one of them.

If you really want to do something, you will find a way. If you don't, you will find an excuse.

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. 

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2008, 09:35:11 pm »

The Corner from HBO
Season One Complete - 6 Episodes

http://www.fulldls.com/torrent-tv-808657.html

Let me know what you think if you snatch any of these, the first might be a litlle harder to get, not many seeds, though I am one of them.

I can't get that Corner link to work. Heard a lot about it though, so would be interested in grabbing that...

Offline Hoodfella

• Legacy Fan
    • TRIGGS VEGA
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2008, 09:36:24 pm »
Ok hold on.....

EDIT: The site seems to be down. But just keep trying, because that is definetly the link, However.............

http://thepiratebay.org/tor/3516107/The_Corner-_by_HBO_-_All_6_Eps

Also some more on the series:

ou want to force politicians and lawmakers to watch this film. You want high school kids considering drugs to watch this film. And you want to watch this film yourself, over and over, for the sheer drama of the story and for the tremendous performances by each and every person in it.

Equally poignant were the appearances by the people who weren't performers: at the end of the series, there's a brief meeting with the real individuals who were portrayed in the six episodes, along with a "five years later" update on what actually happened to other characters whose real-life counterparts didn't live long enough (or live free long enough) to participate in the on-camera reunion.

Dutton's direction is brilliant, presenting the cold facts of a deadly situation with great compassion as well as narrative force. Although not explicitly political and never preachy, the film makes the unpopular point that medical treatment backed up with intensive rehab works and pouring money into fruitless attempts at law enforcement doesn't.

This series is a great American tragedy and crime story combined, a fit companion to "The Godfather" and "Grapes of Wrath," combining the gritty crime story of the first with the deadly grind of verité poverty from the latter to produce an engrossing synecdoche of our culture at the end of the century.

This isn't an "inner city" movie -- this is about all of us. What Dutton shows us in the Baltimore ghetto happens in rural towns in the heartland, too. One small mistake leads to another until, all too soon and too often inevitably, the chances of a happy ending become very, very slim. A universal plot, as timeless and as touching as Shakespeare's finest.

Source: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0224853/
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 09:46:53 pm by Hoodfella »

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2008, 10:26:28 pm »
finished season 3 tonight and it managed to even surpass season 1. it was incredible, absolutely untouchable. as soon as it finishde i just thought to myself this is the best season of tv ever alongside band of brothers, which frmo me is high praise believe me!

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2008, 10:33:26 pm »
finished season 3 tonight and it managed to even surpass season 1. it was incredible, absolutely untouchable. as soon as it finishde i just thought to myself this is the best season of tv ever alongside band of brothers, which frmo me is high praise believe me!

Cheers Hoodfella  :wave

I bought Band of Brothers a few weeks ago, not seen any of it yet though. Too much good stuff stockpiling.
The end of S3 was immense- and without spoiling it for anyone, I could never have seen that coming.

Offline Hoodfella

• Legacy Fan
    • TRIGGS VEGA
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2008, 10:40:47 pm »
The end of S3 was immense- and without spoiling it for anyone, I could never have seen that coming.

No worries mate.

I know...was disappointed by it, you know cant say no more though really, dont wanna spoil for people.

On a side note I actually know Idris Elba (Stringer Bell), goes to the same barber as me, and he and my brother have made a track together, they met in the studio before the barber. So yea he also makes music too.

Small world.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 10:44:07 pm by Hoodfella »

Offline Hoodfella

• Legacy Fan
    • TRIGGS VEGA
« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2008, 10:45:34 pm »
finished season 3 tonight and it managed to even surpass season 1. it was incredible, absolutely untouchable. as soon as it finishde i just thought to myself this is the best season of tv ever

Couldn't agree more.

Offline Canada Loves Anfield

• Everything you do is a balloon
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2008, 07:26:34 pm »
Just finished episode 7 of season 5

Oh man - this series is going out with a bang - just incredible eye catching stuff. I am going to miss this series as much as I miss the Sopranos
If it acts like a cock and a banner appears on the kop with its name written down the shaft of a cock, it probably is...

Liverpool FC - Toronto Supporters Club: http://lfctoronto.com/

Offline Andy2006

• Legacy Fan
  • Telephone!
« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2008, 07:35:59 pm »
What is the OnDemand thing that people watch this off?

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2008, 07:46:09 pm »
I'm having trouble finding ep5. If anyone can help, you'd be making an old man very happy.

Offline Canada Loves Anfield

• Everything you do is a balloon
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2008, 08:31:27 pm »
I'm having trouble finding ep5. If anyone can help, you'd be making an old man very happy.

Go to surfthechannel.com mate
If it acts like a cock and a banner appears on the kop with its name written down the shaft of a cock, it probably is...

Liverpool FC - Toronto Supporters Club: http://lfctoronto.com/

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2008, 08:41:33 pm »