Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12264244 times)

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Youth and Under 23 Thread
« Reply #99000 on: February 12, 2019, 03:25:59 pm »
Pogba on pogba

Ferguson had omitted Wayne Rooney, Jonny Evans and Darron Gibson after a night out and, lacking three injured central defenders, played Michael Carrick in the back four and selected a new central-midfield partnership of right-back Rafael da Silva and Park Ji-sung.

And Pogba told Canal+: "It was a very, very difficult moment for me because I was in love with Manchester and I was a Mancunian.

"It was the match against Blackburn in December 2011 at Old Trafford.

"Paul Scholes had retired, Darren Fletcher was injured. There was no one left to play in midfield. And I was training and I was beginning to get better bit by bit and the coach never stopped telling me, 'You're this far'.

"And I didn't understand. This far away from what? Playing? From having some playing time? From getting on the field? Or what?

"And there was Rafael in midfield and I was disgusted. I was disgusted and I didn't get on either."

United lost 3-2 to Blackburn with Pogba remaining an unused substitute and he said that day convinced him to leave Old Trafford.

http://en.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/276115.html

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #99001 on: February 12, 2019, 03:27:53 pm »
Doesn't exactly sound like a lad who was assured of breaking in to that team regardless of the players in front of him.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #99002 on: February 12, 2019, 03:38:23 pm »
Doesn't exactly sound like a lad who was assured of breaking in to that team regardless of the players in front of him.

Or maybe he's just a preening tit who thought a lot of himself, much like he is now.

Fact is, Ferguson is quoted as saying he wanted him in the first-team squad, and is also quoted as saying he didn't want to hold him back. Which is the point I made - managers don't "hold back" talents. Pogba's impatience doesn't disprove that.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #99003 on: February 12, 2019, 03:50:08 pm »
He played 37 times, including 8 apps in the CL for Juve the next season and won the league.

He was ready and was being held back in favour of inferior players.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99004 on: February 12, 2019, 03:56:27 pm »
He played 37 times, including 8 apps in the CL for Juve the next season and won the league.

He was ready and was being held back in favour of inferior players.

Ferguson says he wasn't. Ferguson was the one picking the team.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #99005 on: February 12, 2019, 04:01:21 pm »
He was wrong then wasn't he.

And he might have continued to be wrong to not play Pogba possibly indefinitely.

Cos essentially the notion of the cream rising to the top is predicated on the selection whims of one man, the players manager.

...unless of course the player removes himself from that situation as Pogba and Sancho did.

Offline trimore

• Legacy Fan
  • Dastardly and Muttley with sick laughter
« Reply #99006 on: February 12, 2019, 05:23:36 pm »
Marginal additional minutes? He's played nearly 1700 minutes and counting for Dortmund this season. He'd have needed to play like Garrincha to approach 600 or 700 at Man City. To describe a player's attitude as disappointing if they want to play football matches is absolutely ludicrous.

If what PoP is saying is true and the star players are obvious and easy to pick out before in the youth set up before they ever kick a ball in the first team then no, I don't think Sancho had to play like Garrincha to get 600 to 700 at Man City when Mahrez has over 1200 and counting for City. I really don't know why you would find that ludicrous? Like a single young forward with no experience but loads of obvious talent has never helped a team win trophies before.

Go off to sleep in the sunshine, I don't want to see the day when it's dying

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #99007 on: February 12, 2019, 06:30:55 pm »
I can see the different points of view being discussed, but if you look at life and say that all talents in all the fields are given clear path/enough opportunities, then it's plain delusion. Life has never been like that. A lucky few get their chances to expose their talents. I'm not in the game like PoP is, but if you apply what you know about the world to football, then you'd think there'd be sufficient obstacles in front of you even if you've 'talent'.

Coaches maybe good in recognizing talents, but they're not Gods. To claim there are no lost talents at the top level in football is extremely reaching for me, and it's simplistic to conclude if you're talented enough, you'll make it. It works in some cases, it doesn't because there're plenty of obstacles to get to the top, there's going to be politics, there's going to be money - so there's going to be agents & clubs and negotiations, there's going to be influences, wrong advises, lack of opportunities and so on and on factors at play. Are these factors not in football? I don't know. I just see it to be a case by case individually. You got two talents, you'll have different coaches guessing who'd be the elite one at that age, but there's every chance that both of them will make it, or only one of them will make it, or neither will. Who knows? To say every coach will agree which of the two will make it or know to predict make it seem like they're Gods, and I know they are not. Apply that to 100s of players these coaches see and then someone claiming each & every one of the predictions that these coaches make are agreed between them and spot on about everybody at that age, just sounds insane and out of this world to me.

There're going to be lost talents in football and there have been plenty before. I'm very sure of it.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 06:37:00 pm by PoetryInMotion »

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #99008 on: February 12, 2019, 06:51:42 pm »
I can see the different points of view being discussed, but if you look at life and say that all talents in all the fields are given clear path/enough opportunities, then it's plain delusion. Life has never been like that. A lucky few get their chances to expose their talents. I'm not in the game like PoP is, but if you apply what you know about the world to football, then you'd think there'd be sufficient obstacles in front of you even if you've 'talent'.

Coaches maybe good in recognizing talents, but they're not Gods. To claim there are no lost talents at the top level in football is extremely reaching for me, and it's simplistic to conclude if you're talented enough, you'll make it. It works in some cases, it doesn't because there're plenty of obstacles to get to the top, there's going to be politics, there's going to be money - so there's going to be agents & clubs and negotiations, there's going to be influences, wrong advises, lack of opportunities and so on and on factors at play. Are these factors not in football? I don't know. I just see it to be a case by case individually. You got two talents, you'll have different coaches guessing who'd be the elite one at that age, but there's every chance that both of them will make it, or only one of them will make it, or neither will. Who knows? To say every coach will agree which of the two will make it or know to predict make it seem like they're Gods, and I know they are not. Apply that to 100s of players these coaches see and then someone claiming each & every one of the predictions that these coaches make are agreed between them and spot on about everybody at that age, just sounds insane and out of this world to me.

There're going to be lost talents in football and there have been plenty before. I'm very sure of it.

I think you're probably right when it comes to mid-level talents. There are probably any number of players who spend their careers at a lower level than they are capable of, too. But the gap between the average academy player, and someone who can make an impact at a side competing for the title in the toughest league on Earth (tm) is huge. People could see it with Sterling. I think if anything the risk is that you get too many false positives there. You can see a kid who looks amazing for his age group, but once he moves up to the first team, he just hasn't got that extra something to get him through. Or he fails to reach his potential for various reasons.

And yes, there is a question of opportunity. You have to be better than whatever is in front of you to play, so the quality of what you are behind is crucial. Rickie Lambert would never have got a game if he had been kept on at Liverpool, but by moving down the leagues he was able to show what he could do. Ultimately, he was not good enough to be a starter for us. Maybe we got it right. But the whole loan system is built on this idea. The lads playing at Rangers, in another world they could be Rangers academy players. They would be getting the same games up there that they are not going to get here. Does that ultimately improve their chances of playing for us? The jury is still out on that one. We send a lot of players out on loan, and while it definitely helps us to move them on, and them to put themselves in the shop window, are they getting experience that will actually help them to make it at Liverpool? Or is it just Lambert again? Proving they can do it at a lower level does not mean that they are more likely to do it where we really want to see it.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #99009 on: February 12, 2019, 06:53:02 pm »
interesting article with Barry Lewis (LFC U18 manager) talking about his squad.  I saw it in the Echo. 

https://www.goal.com/en/news/gerrards-cousin-the-scouse-german-and-meet-liverpools-next/hxe540f7d1lz1tegjs55wktvw

Barry Lewtas.

Thanks for posting

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99010 on: February 12, 2019, 06:54:30 pm »
I don't think anyone said there are no lost talents in the game. I certainly didn't. I said that true top class talent doesn't get held back, because they're game changing potential is easy to see. What they do with it, is up to them, but my point which I thought I made clear earlier, is that as long as a young player is impressing in training and working hard and I'd better than the experienced players in front of them, they will get their chance. They also have to be physically and emotionally ready to be in that level of game. Managers aren't that stupid. If they think a player will get them wins, they'll play them.

Edit - I do like your post, though, PiM! It makes sense in a broader picture for sure

Offline KingKolo

• usernamechangefullcirclejerk
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99011 on: February 12, 2019, 07:03:18 pm »
Or maybe he's just a preening tit who thought a lot of himself, much like he is now.

Fact is, Ferguson is quoted as saying he wanted him in the first-team squad, and is also quoted as saying he didn't want to hold him back. Which is the point I made - managers don't "hold back" talents. Pogba's impatience doesn't disprove that.
It's not that managers hold them back, but at the top clubs there are two senior players for every position.

There's no hope of a youngster getting a chance without an injury. If that injury doesn't come, they've wasted a few years.

Players with the ability of Messi, Pogba etc will be fast-tracked, but what about those with top class potential rather than world class potential?

For example, it'll be interesting to see what happens with Adam Lewis, Alby Moreno, and any potential LB incomings this summer.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99012 on: February 12, 2019, 07:19:59 pm »
It's not that managers hold them back, but at the top clubs there are two senior players for every position.

I understand that, and see where people are coming from. What I'm saying, is that if the Academy player is better than the two in front of him, he will get starts. Managed starts, for sure, to protect his body, but starts nonetheless. The idea that a top class talented young player will regress JUST because there are two senior players in front of them, is the idea I'm arguing against. It's not the numbers, it's the relative talent and ability.

There's no hope of a youngster getting a chance without an injury. If that injury doesn't come, they've wasted a few years.

Again, I disagree. There's also a drop in form, or that youngster just destroying everyone in training. That player will get a chance, regardless of injuries or lack of them.

Players with the ability of Messi, Pogba etc will be fast-tracked, but what about those with top class potential rather than world class potential?

For example, it'll be interesting to see what happens with Adam Lewis, Alby Moreno, and any potential LB incomings this summer.

I thought I was clear in my distinction, but evidently I wasn't - I already mentioned those players. I said those might struggle to get minutes. I am arguing strictly against the blanket statement that "Top class" academy players are "held back" at top clubs. I am old and cynical at this point about development. I say "if the player isn't getting minutes, then maybe they aren't actually as good as their competition in the first team"

A lot of youth players flatter to deceive at the youth levels in terms of stepping up to first team - they are perfect for their own age group because their physical prowess helps them to dominate. But the step up to senior football catches them out, because at that level everyone has physical prowess. There was a study done that showed that the early developers who usually stand out up age 18 have less impact on first team football than the late developers who are physically dominated at their youth age groups but develop speed of play as compensation, and then step up ready for first team football because they can think and play quicker than their taller, older age-group peers. That's why the FA Youth Cups and the FIFA Youth World Cups are bad indicators of future talent for the most part.

Offline KingKolo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99013 on: February 12, 2019, 10:04:05 pm »
I understand that, and see where people are coming from. What I'm saying, is that if the Academy player is better than the two in front of him, he will get starts. Managed starts, for sure, to protect his body, but starts nonetheless. The idea that a top class talented young player will regress JUST because there are two senior players in front of them, is the idea I'm arguing against. It's not the numbers, it's the relative talent and ability.

Again, I disagree. There's also a drop in form, or that youngster just destroying everyone in training. That player will get a chance, regardless of injuries or lack of them.

I thought I was clear in my distinction, but evidently I wasn't - I already mentioned those players. I said those might struggle to get minutes. I am arguing strictly against the blanket statement that "Top class" academy players are "held back" at top clubs. I am old and cynical at this point about development. I say "if the player isn't getting minutes, then maybe they aren't actually as good as their competition in the first team"

A lot of youth players flatter to deceive at the youth levels in terms of stepping up to first team - they are perfect for their own age group because their physical prowess helps them to dominate. But the step up to senior football catches them out, because at that level everyone has physical prowess. There was a study done that showed that the early developers who usually stand out up age 18 have less impact on first team football than the late developers who are physically dominated at their youth age groups but develop speed of play as compensation, and then step up ready for first team football because they can think and play quicker than their taller, older age-group peers. That's why the FA Youth Cups and the FIFA Youth World Cups are bad indicators of future talent for the most part.
Sorry, it's easy to lose track of what certain people are saying precisely, with all the various replies on here. I agree with pretty much all of this.

My issue is with stockpiling of talent and the level of competition in U23 football.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99014 on: February 12, 2019, 10:11:15 pm »
Sorry, it's easy to lose track of what certain people are saying precisely, with all the various replies on here. I agree with pretty much all of this.

My issue is with stockpiling of talent and the level of competition in U23 football.

I agree, it is immoral what some clubs are doing. My input was solely about the reality of football development rather than the ideal. Managers lose their jobs over their player selections, so a young player would have to be shit hot to force their way in. But a player of that calibre is not going to be impeded by a manager who will usually do anything to ensure points on the board.

Offline KingKolo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99015 on: February 12, 2019, 10:16:14 pm »
I agree, it is immoral what some clubs are doing. My input was solely about the reality of football development rather than the ideal. Managers lose their jobs over their player selections, so a young player would have to be shit hot to force their way in. But a player of that calibre is not going to be impeded by a manager who will usually do anything to ensure points on the board.
I do think we currently have a manager in place who will give youth a chance, when it's warranted.

As long as Klopp's in charge, I can't imagine us in a situation like the one Chelsea have with Hudson-Odoi (for example).

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99016 on: February 12, 2019, 10:42:58 pm »
I do think we currently have a manager in place who will give youth a chance, when it's warranted.

As long as Klopp's in charge, I can't imagine us in a situation like the one Chelsea have with Hudson-Odoi (for example).

Well we nearly lost Brewster last summer and perhaps only his terrible injury kept him at lfc.  Crazy to think he’d contemplate rushing off to a Germany to get more game time when he was going to be out until at least Christmas. 

Offline Maldini

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99017 on: February 13, 2019, 01:18:11 pm »
That's great for us and Dortmund. But to me that's a slightly disappointing attitude from a young player if true. He would have got plenty of minutes as City are competing on all four fronts, as Mahrez and Bernardo Silva's playing times have shown. I'd like to think whatever marginal additional minues he gains at Dortmund isn't worth giving up the chance to learn from experienced pros like Aguero, De Bruyne and David Silva day in, day out over a season or more.

He was ready for top flight football at 16, he waited a year, got no games and left for his own benefit. I don't see any problem with it at all. He's a generational talent who could become the best in the world, he was right not to wait around for City to realise that. He and Foden were just about in the same position of progress when he left, since then Foden has only started less than a handful of meaningless cup games while Sancho is arguably the best prospect in Europe.

Offline MartinSkrtelsBasement

• Kopite
« Reply #99018 on: February 13, 2019, 02:16:45 pm »
He was ready for top flight football at 16, he waited a year, got no games and left for his own benefit. I don't see any problem with it at all. He's a generational talent who could become the best in the world, he was right not to wait around for City to realise that. He and Foden were just about in the same position of progress when he left, since then Foden has only started less than a handful of meaningless cup games while Sancho is arguably the best prospect in Europe.

Agreed.

If anything, it shows a good attitude in my book.

Not easy for any young man who doesn't speak the language to leave his homeland and compete with men as a teenager. I'd say the vast majority would opt to stay in their comfort zone when presented with a similar choice.
Pirlo is a silent leader. He speaks with his feet.
—Marcello Lippi

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99019 on: February 13, 2019, 02:53:58 pm »
U18s vs Wigan in the youth cup tonight. Potential bannana skin with wigan having a couple regular england youth internationals.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99020 on: February 13, 2019, 07:05:29 pm »
1-0 glatzel

Online Theoldkopite

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Survived The Boy's Pen in the 60's.
« Reply #99021 on: February 13, 2019, 07:24:38 pm »
2-0 Bobby Duncan.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #99022 on: February 13, 2019, 07:24:50 pm »
Is Bobby playing tonight?
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #99023 on: February 13, 2019, 07:25:16 pm »
Oh, the answer is obviously yes, thanks 😀
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Online Theoldkopite

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99024 on: February 13, 2019, 07:42:01 pm »
Oh, the answer is obviously yes, thanks 😀

:D :D :D

Online Theoldkopite

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99025 on: February 13, 2019, 07:48:10 pm »
2-0 h/t. Good game. Wigan look useful but Liverpool looking dangerous down our right wing.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #99026 on: February 13, 2019, 07:53:09 pm »
I think you're probably right when it comes to mid-level talents. There are probably any number of players who spend their careers at a lower level than they are capable of, too. But the gap between the average academy player, and someone who can make an impact at a side competing for the title in the toughest league on Earth (tm) is huge. People could see it with Sterling. I think if anything the risk is that you get too many false positives there. You can see a kid who looks amazing for his age group, but once he moves up to the first team, he just hasn't got that extra something to get him through. Or he fails to reach his potential for various reasons.

And yes, there is a question of opportunity. You have to be better than whatever is in front of you to play, so the quality of what you are behind is crucial. Rickie Lambert would never have got a game if he had been kept on at Liverpool, but by moving down the leagues he was able to show what he could do. Ultimately, he was not good enough to be a starter for us. Maybe we got it right. But the whole loan system is built on this idea. The lads playing at Rangers, in another world they could be Rangers academy players. They would be getting the same games up there that they are not going to get here. Does that ultimately improve their chances of playing for us? The jury is still out on that one. We send a lot of players out on loan, and while it definitely helps us to move them on, and them to put themselves in the shop window, are they getting experience that will actually help them to make it at Liverpool? Or is it just Lambert again? Proving they can do it at a lower level does not mean that they are more likely to do it where we really want to see it.

Yes, I do agree with many of the points presented here, but I just don't think there's a hard and fast rule here. Lambert is one player who proved at a lower level who couldn't make the step up. Matic is one player who proved at a lower level & then came back & made the step up. Kane is one player who struggled in loan spells at lower level, and then given opportunities at higher level, suddenly exploded. I really think you can get examples for any developmental arc in football, every case has been achieved, so I don't really see any big differential line to say that, "okay a player has to be at this stage at this age with these many appearances at this level to become a top level player".

We all talk about Sterling and the title challenge, but there's also Flanagan and the title challenge and see the different paths either career has taken.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #99027 on: February 13, 2019, 08:01:36 pm »
I don't think anyone said there are no lost talents in the game. I certainly didn't. I said that true top class talent doesn't get held back, because they're game changing potential is easy to see. What they do with it, is up to them, but my point which I thought I made clear earlier, is that as long as a young player is impressing in training and working hard and I'd better than the experienced players in front of them, they will get their chance. They also have to be physically and emotionally ready to be in that level of game. Managers aren't that stupid. If they think a player will get them wins, they'll play them.

Edit - I do like your post, though, PiM! It makes sense in a broader picture for sure

Thanks PoP. I can see the point about how managers play youngsters if they feel they're better than the experienced options and I agree, but I'm more interested in knowing what you think about the case where a youngster is not quite better than the experienced player now, but has the potential to develop and become better than the experienced option (or at that level) in a few years. So, do you think the manager has to look for the development of the youngster for the sake of the squad and future and give the opportunities that will help the player develop, or should they keep denying the opportunities, just because as a youngster, now he's not a better option than a senior pro? Which is more beneficial in the long-term? What do you think managers do? And what do you think managers should do?

If the player knows his potential and sees himself starved of opportunities, he'll want to leave. It used to happen often outside England, but now the door's opening elsewhere for English youngsters too. You don't give the chance, no problem, plenty of others are waiting to do that. See Sancho, Odoi, Lookman, Brewster etc.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 08:04:07 pm by PoetryInMotion »

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99028 on: February 13, 2019, 08:14:25 pm »
Yes, I do agree with many of the points presented here, but I just don't think there's a hard and fast rule here. Lambert is one player who proved at a lower level who couldn't make the step up. Matic is one player who proved at a lower level & then came back & made the step up. Kane is one player who struggled in loan spells at lower level, and then given opportunities at higher level, suddenly exploded. I really think you can get examples for any developmental arc in football, every case has been achieved, so I don't really see any big differential line to say that, "okay a player has to be at this stage at this age with these many appearances at this level to become a top level player".

We all talk about Sterling and the title challenge, but there's also Flanagan and the title challenge and see the different paths either career has taken.

That's often down to application, though. Hark back to what Houllier saw in Carragher and the great lengths he went to, to make sure he fueled and prepared his body properly. Contrast that to Carragher's peers (Thompson, Warnock, for example) to see what NOT listening to that kind of advice does to players.

Online Theoldkopite

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99029 on: February 13, 2019, 08:56:16 pm »
2-0 full time. Bury away in quarter final.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #99030 on: February 13, 2019, 09:00:58 pm »
Good result, thanks.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #99031 on: February 13, 2019, 10:50:23 pm »
Seen a bit of Duncan but nothing from Glatzel really, both sound really exciting, and quite prolific.

Good chance to go all the way in the youth cup now, would be great for them to win it.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99032 on: February 14, 2019, 03:14:15 am »
Haven’t really been following but are we still in the UEFA U19 competition that goes along with the Chamnpions League?

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99033 on: February 14, 2019, 07:31:42 am »
Haven’t really been following but are we still in the UEFA U19 competition that goes along with the Chamnpions League?

Yes.  There are some play off matches in a few days, then the draw for the knock outs is 22 Feb I think.

Offline ElPayaso

• Main Stander
« Reply #99034 on: February 14, 2019, 05:46:04 pm »
#4 playing for Wigan last night was our former Emeka Obi (if he ever was our player?) - https://www.transfermarkt.com/emeka-obi/profil/spieler/458728

Was anyone keeping an extra eye on him? I missed the game unfortunately, but I remember he was kind of a big deal when he was first linked with us.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #99035 on: February 14, 2019, 10:16:47 pm »

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #99036 on: February 15, 2019, 10:40:05 am »

Fair points. Horses for courses, really.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #99037 on: February 15, 2019, 04:03:05 pm »
Harry Wilson is getting more and more noticed by the media now. Here is an article/interview on/with him in today's Grauniad:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/feb/15/harry-wilson-derby-county-liverpool-interview

Offline KingKolo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99038 on: February 17, 2019, 09:40:30 am »
Foden is not a top class talent. He's decent, but he's not a "future world class" player. My statement was that top class youth academy players are not being held back. The players who are being "held back" are the players who aren't top class. They might be very good, but "very good" is not enough to displace experienced senior professionals.
Foden stepped up with two goals yesterday (one of them not involving awful goalkeeping), on an awful pitch against pro opposition in the game of their lives. I agree that he may well not be a world class talent, but the signs are good for him becoming a regular player for a top team.

Players like Henderson and Milner show that you can reach the very top level with hard work, without necessarily having magic wands for feet, but they were both playing regular senior football by the time they were Foden's age. My argument is that, although world class talents will find their way into first teams because they're that good, talents a level below may slip through the net or fail to reach their potential because they spent crucial development years (18-22) when they should be making the final steps, sitting on the bench and/or playing U23 footy.

I think the Chelsea and Man City stockpiling is at a level above ours though.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99039 on: February 17, 2019, 12:26:26 pm »
Just watching some goals from Duncan and Glatzel as I haven't had a chance to watch them play together yet but they seem to really enjoy playing as a strike partnership. Always seem happy to set eachother up but there seems to be a healthy little competition there too in which they try to outdo eachother

One thing I love about the goals I saw is that a large volume of them are shots driven towards the bottom corners. Obviously there were some wonderful finishes high into the net displaying they've got that in their locker but it was good to see smart shot selection in looking to finish low and out of reach of the keeper. Both of them have wonderful technique