Author Topic: Drink Better Beer - Belgian, German, Craft, Ales, Lagers all your hoppy goodness in one place  (Read 275212 times)

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
Not necessarily craft, but Hotel Chocolat's cocoa beers and quite nice and a pleasant little present to yourself after succumbing to their prices for other people's presents.
hotel chocolat sells beer?
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
I only recently discovered Aldi supermarkets here in the States, and tried out their Wernesgrüner Pilsner. I was so pleasantly surprised, beats the hell out of 'domestic' beers here! Who'd have expected such a nice brew in a discount supermarket? Nicely priced, too!

Aldi are notorious (in a good way!) in Germany and the UK for their very good and well priced beer and wine.

Sadly in the part of the US I am stuck in, Aldi can't sell beer and wine.

Anyway, Kölsch - now THAT is a nice style brew.  8) 

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
Aldi do the German brew Reinbacher. I stumbled across it one day last year . 2.99 for four cans and 99p a bottle. It's brewed according to the Purity Law too. Don't let the price put you off . It's nice.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline kevlumley

• Legacy Fan
  • Forza Liverpool
My local has a beer and cider festival over Halloween. One that stood out for me was Twickenham ales, 'Saison', which i would say was very Belgian influenced and a nice tasting ale. I really enjoy this brewery, very consistent.

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
You’ll like the Wylam stuff I’d have thought based on that list. Very similar tastes to myself. Also get yourself a Trolltunga by Buxton and a Westbrook Gose if you like sours

Thanks for the reccomendation, will have to investigate further, and I do always enjoy investigating beers further...

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
Thanks for the reccomendation, will have to investigate further, and I do always enjoy investigating beers further...
Wylam are good. I sunk one of theirs (Freak Magnet) at the weekend and it was very nice.

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
Have been a relatively recent convert to the craft beer scene, as we just had a local wine shop/bar open and they also stock a good range of craft beer as well.

Really enjoying some of the stuff being produced by Cloudwater (although pricey!), Magic Rock, Verdant, Wild Beer company, and Gipsy Hill, any other recommendations on here?
If you can get any Mikkeller stuff then jump on it. I've not even scratched the surface of their beers but I've loved each one I've tried

What sort of beers are you into? If you'd try anything, look for Juice Springsteen by Alphabet. As the name suggests, it's... Juicy.

Seedling by Land & Labour is another interesting one I've had recently.

I find it hard to look past Beavertown beers (although they're not a craft brewer anymore and some of the more militant beer lovers would punch me for recommending them). Some good breweries here in Ireland now too. Galway Bay, Kinnegar, Hills Town, Lacada, White Hag, Whitewater...

Online filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
If you can get any Mikkeller stuff then jump on it. I've not even scratched the surface of their beers but I've loved each one I've tried

What sort of beers are you into? If you'd try anything, look for Juice Springsteen by Alphabet. As the name suggests, it's... Juicy.

Seedling by Land & Labour is another interesting one I've had recently.

I find it hard to look past Beavertown beers (although they're not a craft brewer anymore and some of the more militant beer lovers would punch me for recommending them). Some good breweries here in Ireland now too. Galway Bay, Kinnegar, Hills Town, Lacada, White Hag, Whitewater...

Well I do like a Juicy pale Ale so that sounds like something I might like, I do have a soft sport for Beavertown's Gamma Ray myself.

Will normally end up with a Cloudwater DDH if I'm out for a drink and enjoying a few NEIPAs of late as well

• Kopite
Well I do like a Juicy pale Ale so that sounds like something I might like, I do have a soft sport for Beavertown's Gamma Ray myself.

Will normally end up with a Cloudwater DDH if I'm out for a drink and enjoying a few NEIPAs of late as well
ah good stuff. Assume you've tried Hazy Jane by Brewdog?

Online filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
ah good stuff. Assume you've tried Hazy Jane by Brewdog?

I have indeed, always a good choice at the Brewdog pubs!

Offline woz92

• Legacy Fan
This wins plenty of awards here in New Zealand. Has anyone tried?
YNWA 96

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Aldi do the German brew Reinbacher. I stumbled across it one day last year . 2.99 for four cans and 99p a bottle. It's brewed according to the Purity Law too. Don't let the price put you off . It's nice.

Gave it a try tonight (along with a taster pack of their Baileys knock-off) and it does do the job nicely. It actually tastes like lager, so can't whack it for £2.99.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
i keep mentioning this beer

https://www.obrienswine.ie/blog/tag/200-fathoms/

its been released at last, now hop on it if it tickles your fancy

i just ordered 4. drinkstore and mchughs have some

id act quick. think they only bring out 800 a year

• Kopite
i keep mentioning this beer

https://www.obrienswine.ie/blog/tag/200-fathoms/

its been released at last, now hop on it if it tickles your fancy

i just ordered 4. drinkstore and mchughs have some

id act quick. think they only bring out 800 a year
My mate runs a bar/offie and he's trying to get me a couple of bottles. Unlikely to get it though, he was a bit late putting his name down for some.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
My mate runs a bar/offie and he's trying to get me a couple of bottles. Unlikely to get it though, he was a bit late putting his name down for some.
mchughs have it on their site, drinkstore had it too

you can collect for free in drinkstore or get free delivery over 70

my dad used to smoke and i never did, he gave them up but still says one of the best feelings ever was a smoke he had one day tired after minding my sister as a baby

i know what he meant as last year the night before my new born son was coming home from hospital i cracked one of these open, first drink in weeks, my god it was good. i still have one left over from last year.

xmas eve i will down that and one of this years
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 10:35:44 am by Hellrazor »

• Kopite
mchughs have it on their site, drinkstore had it too

you can collect for free in drinkstore or get free delivery over 70
Just registered with McHugh's there but it was gonna be €6 delivery (I'm in Derry) so I cancelled it. Ah well.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
Got my craft beer advent calendar ready to go from tomorrow  ;D

Got it from Costco last couple years it's really good, albeit slightly over-priced. Good way to start to Christmas having averaged at least a bottle of beer since the beginning of December.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Just registered with McHugh's there but it was gonna be €6 delivery (I'm in Derry) so I cancelled it. Ah well.
you might get one you never know

Got my craft beer advent calendar ready to go from tomorrow  ;D

Got it from Costco last couple years it's really good, albeit slightly over-priced. Good way to start to Christmas having averaged at least a bottle of beer since the beginning of December.
hmm with them i think id drink a few in one go, i dont think id bother opening one every day

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Definitely trying some of this.

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
Canadian Cream Ale called Muskova.

Hoppy and floral and silky smooth in the mouth, one of the best beers I've drunk in a long while.

https://muskokabrewery.com/beer/cream-ale/

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Want to get some ale for a big ale drinker for Christmas. Any favourites that people would recommend?

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
Want to get some ale for a big ale drinker for Christmas. Any favourites that people would recommend?
If you want to buy him decent ale, a good plan is always to find out what some of your local breweries are and then which ones have got a brewery shop or tap where you can buy direct. You get brewery fresh beer and help a small business at the same time. You could put together a really interesting and unique box of 12 bottles that way by visiting a few. If he likes all styles make sure you chuck in some stouts and porters along with the pale ones for a bit of variety.

If you want to spend a fortune you could go down the craft cans route, but there’s no need really if you got some interesting local brewers. Get your missus to drive you round them all, then you can have samples as an excuse to work out what you think he’d like  ;) :hally

Offline stara

• ra-boom-de-ay. RAWK's very own Dicktionary Corner.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Young Master’s Mo Mo Wit. 😀
50+1. Real FFP rules. Now.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed

7 times the fun.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

7 times the fun.

After March 29th all that will be available will be that, Kestrel and Tennents brain damage.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline RedBootsTommySmith

• Kopite

7 times the fun.

God, I remember when I was about 15, we used to get that from the offy, drinking it in the streets or taking to parties. Awful stuff. It was that and Woodpecker cider for us urchins.
Victorious and glorious....

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
God, I remember when I was about 15, we used to get that from the offy, drinking it in the streets or taking to parties. Awful stuff. It was that and Woodpecker cider for us urchins.

The Silver Jubilee, us kids robbed one off the table in the street party and hid behind a car to drink it, we were 10 and younger. One of the Dads caught us and just laughed and gave us some cans as well. My cousin passed out on the couch ;D
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
Got some of this for tonight Hapkin...

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
Only drink Asahi these days.

Have done for the last few years.

Don’t think any beer I’ve drunk in the past comes close. Peroni and Grolsch which are both owned by the same company are the only other beers I like... apart from Guinness of course
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
I've noticed my local Tesco has started stocking Crate brewery beers. Their brewery with pub attached is right beside the London Stadium, we were in it before West Ham away last season. They've a good range of craft beers and do great pizza.

I picked up a few of the tins at the weekend. The pale ale is excellent and easily drinkable at 4.5%. The IPA is nice too but a good bit stronger at 6%

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
I've noticed my local Tesco has started stocking Crate brewery beers. Their brewery with pub attached is right beside the London Stadium, we were in it before West Ham away last season. They've a good range of craft beers and do great pizza.

I picked up a few of the tins at the weekend. The pale ale is excellent and easily drinkable at 4.5%. The IPA is nice too but a good bit stronger at 6%

Prefer Howling Hops next door. The queues in crate can get stupid and it's a bit up it's own arse. Nice in the summer if you can get a table outside by the river tho.
Gutted its a monday as was look forward to a session in howling hops.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
One of the best value beers out there in both Tesco and Sainsbury's stores is Leffe Brune (or Blonde if you prefer) @ £3 a 75cl bottle. Love the rich tangy taste of brune
 but the blonde isn't to my taste. Mmmmm got two in the cupboard - don't think they'll stay there overlong.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 10:37:23 pm by JohnnoWhite »
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Yeah, Leffe is lovely. I like both of those myself.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
One of the best value beers out there in both Tesco and Sainsbury's stores is Leffe Bruin (or Blonde if you prefer) @ £3 a 75cl bottle. Love the rich tangy taste of bruin but the blonde isn't to my taste. Mmmmm got two in the cupboard - don't think they'll stay there overlong.
sometimes they do 2 for a 5er

bruin is nice slightly chilled

the blonde is more of a summer drink left in fridge for hours

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
For the Lager drinkers, Menabrea is becoming more avaliable in supermarkets. Probably my favourite lager and well worth a try if you haven't had it before.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
Yeah I absolutely hammered blonde beers for years, Leffe is a good one. These days I prefer the pale ales and IPA's loving this one at the moment (American style IPA) although it is pricey only get it every so often:

Online Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
I bought a four pack of Brewdog Indie IPA just before Christmas as I had never had it before and it was on offer. I noticed that the first can I opened wasn't actually full, nowhere near in fact. I then checked the rest of the pack and realised that another can was half-empty. The other two were fine.

I decided not to take them back to Tesco but instead I packed up the other half-full can and sent it directly to Brewdog in Aberdeen with an attached letter. Within about two days I had received a phonecall saying that they would send me some complementary Brewdog cans.

On Christmas Eve I received £48 worth of cans - 24 cans in total!!!

A lovely gesture and indicates why they have been such a success...customer care.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
For the Lager drinkers, Menabrea is becoming more avaliable in supermarkets. Probably my favourite lager and well worth a try if you haven't had it before.
yeah a couple of restaurants ive been in serve it

its nice