Author Topic: Struggling with depression  (Read 618529 times)

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Struggling with depression
« Reply #6720 on: February 26, 2019, 09:52:44 am »
Been bedside by my dad for the last week in hospital. Useless docs still not sure what it is but think it’s encephalitis. I’ve seen people die before me in hospital before, but in the last week have seen two old men die in the same bed before my eyes. Just breathed their last breath in front of me. The nurses and docs are so blasé about it but can’t help but feel seeing this shit is going to fuck me right up.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6721 on: February 26, 2019, 10:12:40 am »
Nothing over the counter works or would be worthwhile.

Lift heavy and sleep well.

Or go see doctor and get on TRT

I might go for that.  I might have given the impression that I just couldn't be arsed and see it as too much like hard work and looking for a quick fix, but my issues run far deeper than that and are on a more psychological level.  I also feel that my T levels are just naturally low.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6722 on: February 26, 2019, 10:17:01 am »
Been bedside by my dad for the last week in hospital. Useless docs still not sure what it is but think it’s encephalitis. I’ve seen people die before me in hospital before, but in the last week have seen two old men die in the same bed before my eyes. Just breathed their last breath in front of me. The nurses and docs are so blasé about it but can’t help but feel seeing this shit is going to fuck me right up.

Sorry to hear that.  This April marks 19 years since I lost my dad.  I could have - should have - stayed at his bedside, but I was 26 years old and he was my closest male friend.  I couldn't bear it so I ran.  I've regretted it every day since and this time of the year always messes me up because it was his birthday on Valentine's Day.

I don't know how much at risk your dad is - my apologies as these days I only dip into this thread - but believe me you are far better off being there for him.  As for the staff, well doctors and nurses see this stuff all the time - they HAVE to become detached otherwise they wouldn't be able to show up for work.

Seek some PTS counselling when you feel the time is right.

Popcorn's Art

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6723 on: February 26, 2019, 10:55:10 am »
Sorry to hear that. This April marks 19 years since I lost my dad.  I could have - should have - stayed at his bedside, but I was 26 years old and he was my closest male friend.  I couldn't bear it so I ran.  I've regretted it every day since and this time of the year always messes me up because it was his birthday on Valentine's Day.

I don't know how much at risk your dad is - my apologies as these days I only dip into this thread - but believe me you are far better off being there for him.  As for the staff, well doctors and nurses see this stuff all the time - they HAVE to become detached otherwise they wouldn't be able to show up for work.

Seek some PTS counselling when you feel the time is right.

Don't beat yourself up over it mate - my Mum died April 1st 2007, I was 40 and me and our kid were lying in the bed next to her as she took her last breath and it is one of the worst things I have ever experienced. I have no idea if she knew we were there, but the thoughts that she did and was fighting to stay and was terrified really fucks me up.She was terrified of purgatory because of the religious c*nts when she was a girl driving that shit home to all the kids. The day before I went the game, 4-0 arsenal, Crouchy hat-trick and did not enjoy a minute of it - I went as my stepdad insisted, he said she wouldn't know and would have wanted me to go. I still feel shit over that at times when I know I shouldn't.

I have been doing great but Saturday should have been her birthday and then Sunday should have been my father in laws - my Mums birthday has really messed me up and I feel so so low right now.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6724 on: February 26, 2019, 04:13:56 pm »
Don't beat yourself up over it mate - my Mum died April 1st 2007, I was 40 and me and our kid were lying in the bed next to her as she took her last breath and it is one of the worst things I have ever experienced. I have no idea if she knew we were there, but the thoughts that she did and was fighting to stay and was terrified really fucks me up.She was terrified of purgatory because of the religious c*nts when she was a girl driving that shit home to all the kids. The day before I went the game, 4-0 arsenal, Crouchy hat-trick and did not enjoy a minute of it - I went as my stepdad insisted, he said she wouldn't know and would have wanted me to go. I still feel shit over that at times when I know I shouldn't.

I have been doing great but Saturday should have been her birthday and then Sunday should have been my father in laws - my Mums birthday has really messed me up and I feel so so low right now.

Sorry to hear that mate.  This Mother's Day will mark four years since my arsehole brother threw me out of what was once my house with my mum, and the last time I spoke to her she screamed down the phone, basically calling me a lying bastard.  Plus, it's my parents' wedding anniversary next month too.  Absolutely breaks my heart.  February-March-April are always really difficult for me and I've been on the floor for almost three weeks.  Hoping I'm over the worst of it but we will have to see.

Can't imagine what you must have felt losing your ma like that.  We just end up feeling so fucking helpless.  I'm not religious parse, but as you know I'm of the faith so I get what you're saying.  I'm always guilt tripping myself.  It's one of those situations where 75% of the time it doesn't bother you too much, but it's always just there, right at the back of your head; and every so often it barges its way to the front and fucks you up for a few days, or weeks.  You have my sympathies. 

I think what I need is to sit down with someone and just have a long chat over a few pints.  Been a long time since I did that.
« Last Edit: March 3, 2019, 09:26:02 am by Red Berry »

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6725 on: March 3, 2019, 09:25:41 am »
I hate alcohol.

I hate my personality disorder.

I hate being clingy, needy and creepy.

I have no idea why someone hasn't punched my lights out.

Maybe that will happen today.

I never want to leave the house again.

Popcorn's Art

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6726 on: March 3, 2019, 10:04:55 am »
If you've not already done it, you need to go see your GP and get yourself started on treatment. You know what you don't like about yourself and they will be able to help you deal with it.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6727 on: March 3, 2019, 02:05:54 pm »
If you've not already done it, you need to go see your GP and get yourself started on treatment. You know what you don't like about yourself and they will be able to help you deal with it.

Already had 18 months therapy.

Popcorn's Art

Offline kkhaku

• Kaladze
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter: k_rrar
« Reply #6728 on: March 3, 2019, 03:08:34 pm »
I might go for that.  I might have given the impression that I just couldn't be arsed and see it as too much like hard work and looking for a quick fix, but my issues run far deeper than that and are on a more psychological level.  I also feel that my T levels are just naturally low.

Most doctors will not put you on TRT supplementation unless they are very sure you're low. I'd be wary of any doctor that prescribes it using a single blood test - testosterone levels in the blood fluctuate by the minute and you need a through screening to be absolutely sure. Especially as the symptoms of low t can be confused with a variety of other things. Ask for thyroid tests too, hyper and hypothyroidism can both mimic the symptoms of anxiety and depression.

Extra testosterone when you don't need it can have some horrible side effects, especially for someone who who struggles from anxiety or depression, but on the other hand if you are found to be low, the supplementation can be absolutely life changing. Hardest part is finding a GP who's willing to do all these tests on you to actually find out.
"God is dead." - Freidrich Nietzsche, 1882
"Nietzsche is dead." - God, 1900

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6729 on: March 4, 2019, 09:47:14 am »
Most doctors will not put you on TRT supplementation unless they are very sure you're low. I'd be wary of any doctor that prescribes it using a single blood test - testosterone levels in the blood fluctuate by the minute and you need a through screening to be absolutely sure. Especially as the symptoms of low t can be confused with a variety of other things. Ask for thyroid tests too, hyper and hypothyroidism can both mimic the symptoms of anxiety and depression.

Extra testosterone when you don't need it can have some horrible side effects, especially for someone who who struggles from anxiety or depression, but on the other hand if you are found to be low, the supplementation can be absolutely life changing. Hardest part is finding a GP who's willing to do all these tests on you to actually find out.

I looked up the side effects and wasn't impressed.  In fact my original question actually pertained more to food supplements rather then a medical solution.  I really should have specified that at the time.  I tried a herbal remedy but I never really noticed anything much, but I want to avoid the stuff used by the dedicated gym goers.

Popcorn's Art

Offline cheshiremike

• Podcast/Youtube Addict. Sworn enema of CheshireDave
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #6730 on: March 4, 2019, 10:43:13 am »

Been life changing for me however I paid to go the spire (private) as all the NHS wanted to do was put me on meds.

Cost around £1k for everything, full blood counts for everything and tests for everything! This is when they came back and said it was low t. Had 3 lots of bloods till they signed me for TRT. Then they signed me back to NHS.

Offline Kelvinlfc

• Legacy Fan
  • #JFT96
« Reply #6731 on: March 7, 2019, 11:35:50 am »
Lost a friend to this horrible illness took his own life last night found this morning. The signs were there looking back in hindsight at how his behaviour had changed over the past week but unfortunately I didn't look close enough to reach out a helping hand. It's hard because everybody is so busy living their own lives if you aren't approached for help it's rare you can actually spot the problems before it's too late.

Please anyone in here suffering and I know it's said every day but reach out there is no shame. Every individual is a candle and if you extinguish your own flame the world becomes a darker place.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #6732 on: March 7, 2019, 07:24:11 pm »
Lost a friend to this horrible illness took his own life last night found this morning. The signs were there looking back in hindsight at how his behaviour had changed over the past week but unfortunately I didn't look close enough to reach out a helping hand. It's hard because everybody is so busy living their own lives if you aren't approached for help it's rare you can actually spot the problems before it's too late.

Please anyone in here suffering and I know it's said every day but reach out there is no shame. Every individual is a candle and if you extinguish your own flame the world becomes a darker place.

I'm really sorry to hear that, Kelvin.

I hope you are not too hard on yourself over what has happened. I doubt you could have even imagined it would end like this. I've been suicidal myself and people around me would never have even known. We rarely have any real idea of what is going on inside someone else's head. It's much easier recognising the signs in hindsight. Sometimes there are no real outward signs, though.

People go through all kinds of ups and downs in life. We all go through periods of stress and anxiety. We never really think it will end this way for people we value in our lives, do we?

I do wish your friend could have reached out and got the support he clearly needed. Many do, and find that it can make a difference. For whatever reason, some just don't. I agree with you 100%. Anyone out there who is suffering in silence, please do reach out and try to gain some support. It might just make all the difference. It's no magic wand and it doesn't make all our troubles go away, but it just may help us get through them and come out the other side.

Take care, Kelvin, and I'm really sorry about your mate.
« Last Edit: March 7, 2019, 07:26:04 pm by Sons of pioneerS »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6733 on: March 7, 2019, 08:21:22 pm »

So sorry for your loss. :(

Popcorn's Art

Offline mgs88

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6734 on: March 10, 2019, 08:34:18 am »
Last weekend my wife said she thought she wanted to leave me.  She's been struggling with turning 30 because our lives aren't exactly where we want them to be but I didn't think it was this bad. After a week of her going and staying at her dad's house to get some time to think she came back on Thursday night and seemed a but better and wanted to try and sort things out and we agreed to go to marriage counselling.  I went to a friend's 30th party with her last night (against my better judgement) and things seemed ok at the party but when we got home it was like a switch flipped. I can't shake the feeling that if she just got her head right about turning 30 things between us would get better but now I'm not sure. I'm begging to think that she is just agreeing to counselling to make me happy but doesn't actually want to try. Needless to say my heads a mess this morning and I don't know what to do with my self.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6735 on: March 10, 2019, 08:55:20 am »
Last weekend my wife said she thought she wanted to leave me.  She's been struggling with turning 30 because our lives aren't exactly where we want them to be but I didn't think it was this bad. After a week of her going and staying at her dad's house to get some time to think she came back on Thursday night and seemed a but better and wanted to try and sort things out and we agreed to go to marriage counselling.  I went to a friend's 30th party with her last night (against my better judgement) and things seemed ok at the party but when we got home it was like a switch flipped. I can't shake the feeling that if she just got her head right about turning 30 things between us would get better but now I'm not sure. I'm begging to think that she is just agreeing to counselling to make me happy but doesn't actually want to try. Needless to say my heads a mess this morning and I don't know what to do with my self.

What you need to do is be supportive of her. My wife did not and still does not understand or deal with my depression, which really has not helped, as it makes you feel really alone at times. You can't just "get your head right" about things, it's not as cut and dried as that. Turning 30 and 40 never bothered me, 50 was different, but only because we have two young kids, they are 10 and 8 now, and I started thinking about how long I had left to live and was scared of leaving them without a Dad at a young age, it got so bad I was thinking about it too much, especially at night as another day had passed in my life. I've got my head sorted on that now, but it took a long time. Have you asked her what exactly about turning 30 is bothering her?  Is she disappointed that she isn't achieving targets or is it something else? Are the targets realistic or even that important?

The fact that she has agreed to go to counselling is a positive, so try to get that arranged as soon as you can.

Best of luck

Offline mgs88

• Main Stander
« Reply #6736 on: March 10, 2019, 09:10:57 am »
What you need to do is be supportive of her. My wife did not and still does not understand or deal with my depression, which really has not helped, as it makes you feel really alone at times. You can't just "get your head right" about things, it's not as cut and dried as that. Turning 30 and 40 never bothered me, 50 was different, but only because we have two young kids, they are 10 and 8 now, and I started thinking about how long I had left to live and was scared of leaving them without a Dad at a young age, it got so bad I was thinking about it too much, especially at night as another day had passed in my life. I've got my head sorted on that now, but it took a long time. Have you asked her what exactly about turning 30 is bothering her?  Is she disappointed that she isn't achieving targets or is it something else? Are the targets realistic or even that important?

The fact that she has agreed to go to counselling is a positive, so try to get that arranged as soon as you can.

Best of luck
I have asked her about what's bothering her about turning 30. I think it's mainly that we've not been in a financial situation to have kids yet but there seems to be other issues that keep changing. She's decided that because were both 30 were now old.

I really want to help her get better because I have seeing her like this but I just feel so helpless and it seems like I annoy her more than help her when I try.

We're booked in for counselling for a week on Wednesday but I'm not sure how much good it will do if she's just doing it to please me and not actually work on things.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6737 on: March 10, 2019, 09:58:20 am »
I have asked her about what's bothering her about turning 30. I think it's mainly that we've not been in a financial situation to have kids yet but there seems to be other issues that keep changing. She's decided that because were both 30 were now old.

I really want to help her get better because I have seeing her like this but I just feel so helpless and it seems like I annoy her more than help her when I try.

We're booked in for counselling for a week on Wednesday but I'm not sure how much good it will do if she's just doing it to please me and not actually work on things.

30 is nothing, it really is still young. At 30 I was in a different relationship and having major health issues, my missus was single and doing her best Judith Chalmers impression, travelled all over the place, 5 holidays abroad every year. We only met when I was 39 and she was 37, I was 41, missus was 39 when our eldest was born and 44/41 when we had the youngest. If we had been in a larger house, we would have had another.

Go into the sessions with an open mind, being negative about them now won't help. Even if she doesn't want to be there, you can hopefully learn skills on how best to help her. What is that thing they say, men want to fix things but women just want someone to listen?

Offline mgs88

• Main Stander
« Reply #6738 on: March 10, 2019, 11:06:34 am »
30 is nothing, it really is still young. At 30 I was in a different relationship and having major health issues, my missus was single and doing her best Judith Chalmers impression, travelled all over the place, 5 holidays abroad every year. We only met when I was 39 and she was 37, I was 41, missus was 39 when our eldest was born and 44/41 when we had the youngest. If we had been in a larger house, we would have had another.

Go into the sessions with an open mind, being negative about them now won't help. Even if she doesn't want to be there, you can hopefully learn skills on how best to help her. What is that thing they say, men want to fix things but women just want someone to listen?
That's my thoughts as well 30 isn't old and we still have plenty of time to do the things in life that we want to do. I just wish I knew if she is thinking about leaving me because of the whole turning 30 thing or if it's because she actually doesn't want to be with me any more. She says she still loves me though.

I am going into it with an open mind. I really want this to help us and to help us get back on track. She's the love of my life. I don't know what I'll do if she does end up leaving me.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6739 on: March 10, 2019, 11:18:19 am »
My bestie turned 30 in December and she's had a few twinges over it. Another female friend told me it's deffo a woman thing; even if a woman's not interested in having kids at a given moment she can't escape her own biology.  I'm sure counselling will help you both. Just remember,  you can never be 100% ready to have kids :)

Popcorn's Art

Offline mgs88

• Main Stander
« Reply #6740 on: March 10, 2019, 12:45:53 pm »
My bestie turned 30 in December and she's had a few twinges over it. Another female friend told me it's deffo a woman thing; even if a woman's not interested in having kids at a given moment she can't escape her own biology.  I'm sure counselling will help you both. Just remember,  you can never be 100% ready to have kids :)
Thanks I'm hoping so too. My heads just a mess just now. She seems to swing from being fine with me to only giving the briefest responses. I'm trying to not crowd her and make things worse but it's driving me mad not knowing how she will react any time I do or say some thing.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #6741 on: March 10, 2019, 01:57:04 pm »
30 is a weird age . You are coming out of your Saturn Return. It's when Saturn comes back into your birth chart for the first time. It's basically saying to you .... Choose a path you are not a kid anymore and that's why a lot of feel some kind of pressure at this age or something life changing happens around this age. It usually starts at 28 and ends around 30 .

He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6742 on: March 10, 2019, 02:44:57 pm »
Thanks I'm hoping so too. My heads just a mess just now. She seems to swing from being fine with me to only giving the briefest responses. I'm trying to not crowd her and make things worse but it's driving me mad not knowing how she will react any time I do or say some thing.

Well I'm not one for relationship advice, but it seems less of a mid life crisis as more of an identity crisis, which is something else my bestie went through, and probably still is.  You might just need to get to know her all over again.  What's important is not to over think or over analyse.  Make your choices and follow through.  You can't decide for her - only help her in her choices.

Popcorn's Art

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6743 on: March 10, 2019, 07:08:46 pm »
Dont know why but everything just makes me want to cry these days.

I've no real reason to be upset about stuff but life just feels really shitty lately.  Not necessarily for me but for people I love or just society in general.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6744 on: March 11, 2019, 12:16:17 pm »
This might seem like an odd request, but if there are any guys in the Liverpool/Aigburth area who would want to meet up for a coffee or some such I'd really appreciate the chat.

Short answer is that I don't know many males and I think I should.

Popcorn's Art

Offline mgs88

• Main Stander
« Reply #6745 on: March 11, 2019, 05:36:02 pm »
So now my wife's said she doesn't want to go to counselling. My heads completely gone, I really don't know what to do.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #6746 on: March 11, 2019, 05:56:04 pm »
Dont know why but everything just makes me want to cry these days.

I've no real reason to be upset about stuff but life just feels really shitty lately.  Not necessarily for me but for people I love or just society in general.

I wouldn't worry about society in general just focus on the people you love.

I can remember being terrified about the threat of nuclear war in 1983 as well as the very real PIRA activity.

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6747 on: March 11, 2019, 06:17:19 pm »
I wouldn't worry about society in general just focus on the people you love.

I can remember being terrified about the threat of nuclear war in 1983 as well as the very real PIRA activity.
The mind is a fascinating and complex machine when I posted there was no particular reason for my emotions. 

I opened up Facebook this morning and had a reminder it's my Dads birthday today, so there you go, my subconscious had remembered I should be thinking about him and be upset that I couldn't wish him a happy birthday.

He died September 2015.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #6748 on: March 11, 2019, 09:43:13 pm »
30 is a weird age . You are coming out of your Saturn Return. It's when Saturn comes back into your birth chart for the first time. It's basically saying to you .... Choose a path you are not a kid anymore and that's why a lot of feel some kind of pressure at this age or something life changing happens around this age. It usually starts at 28 and ends around 30 .

You sound like me ma!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 09:45:45 pm by Indomitable_Carp »

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6749 on: March 12, 2019, 06:26:56 pm »
I can feel this slowly creeping back up on me after I suffered with it back in 2017 and was suicidal for a period of time resulting in me nearly being sectioned and being sent the doctors straight from work.

Everything’s piling up on me at the min and I’m feeling it coming.

Offline Perham

• Effes v2.0 - RAWK's Official Dog Snogger!
  • Legacy Fan
  • All is well
« Reply #6750 on: March 14, 2019, 06:51:52 pm »
I saw a few posts on here about memories of your first love and how to get past it. Well my first ever girlfriend broke up with me on Tuesday and I've been really down ever since. I don't think it's depression but I'm really worried that that's what's gonna happen and I want to open up about it before it gets any worse because I'm usually a really positive and generally happy person and I've never had any problems with mental health before so the way I reacted was surprising. Usually when I'm sad time makes things better but it's been three days and every day I've felt worse and worse. I can't home today and just cried for a solid hour and I don't know how I'll get past this. I realise now that I basically built my whole life around her and everything in my life was centred around her so I'm left with a big hole in my life which I don't know how I can fill. The thing is I can't even blame her because she's a great person and I can't help feeling like it's my fault because I know that I'm really not a good person at all and I know I need to work on improving who I am as a person or I'll end up destroying my life. The thing is I've never really had too many friends so I've had to deal with this on my own pretty much and that's why I'm writing this here because right now I feel like I have nothing to look forward to in life and I feel like my whole lifes falling apart. Sorry if that sounds dramatic and I know that it isn't true but it's how I'm feeling at the minute.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 06:54:57 pm by Perham »
if I came home to allison in bed with my wife I'd ask him to phone Virgil to see if he wanted to pop round too.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6751 on: March 14, 2019, 07:33:15 pm »
I saw a few posts on here about memories of your first love and how to get past it. Well my first ever girlfriend broke up with me on Tuesday and I've been really down ever since. I don't think it's depression but I'm really worried that that's what's gonna happen and I want to open up about it before it gets any worse because I'm usually a really positive and generally happy person and I've never had any problems with mental health before so the way I reacted was surprising. Usually when I'm sad time makes things better but it's been three days and every day I've felt worse and worse. I can't home today and just cried for a solid hour and I don't know how I'll get past this. I realise now that I basically built my whole life around her and everything in my life was centred around her so I'm left with a big hole in my life which I don't know how I can fill. The thing is I can't even blame her because she's a great person and I can't help feeling like it's my fault because I know that I'm really not a good person at all and I know I need to work on improving who I am as a person or I'll end up destroying my life. The thing is I've never really had too many friends so I've had to deal with this on my own pretty much and that's why I'm writing this here because right now I feel like I have nothing to look forward to in life and I feel like my whole lifes falling apart. Sorry if that sounds dramatic and I know that it isn't true but it's how I'm feeling at the minute.

You are being far too hard on yourself here. What you are feeling is normal and completely natural under the circumstances. Although a bit of a cliche, time is indeed a healer, but three days is absolutely no time at all. The loss of a loving relationship often affects a person in the same way as a bereavement. It's a big loss, and loss is a big deal for human beings. My first relationship ended after six years and it felt like someone I loved had died. It takes us quite a bit of time to process that kind of loss and upheaval in our lives. You will get there, but you have to give yourself time and space in which to process everything.

You may well feel a bit worse before you start to feel better, but that's the process working itself through. Don't beat yourself up for feeling as you do. As I said, it's normal.
Crying is not a bad thing. It helps get the pain out and it's just another part of the process of adjusting to losing what was, and adjusting to what now is. You are bound to feel raw, but it's best to acknowledge it and ride it out, because it will ease in time.

You clearly invested a lot of time, energy, emotion and love into your relationship and, as you say, this now leaves a big void. I know what that feels like, and it's absolutely horrible. As I said, it's very much like a bereavement, and it takes time to come to terms with things of such magnitude, but you will do. I am 100% certain of that. The void is something that will eventually be filled with other things, other people and other experiences, but in the meantime I think it's best to just accept that it's there for now.

You sound like you have a bit of a downer on yourself generally anyway, going by how you say you aren't really a good person. Maybe this is something you feel you could benefit from addressing in the future, when you feel a bit more able? Self-reflection is no bad thing so long as it's not needlessly self-critical. It's a good way of working out what we can improve on in order to help us get through life more effectively. Self-development, however you decide to go about it, can be a very positive way of filling a void in our lives. It can provide direction and purpose.

You don't sound dramatic at all. You sound like someone experiencing a big loss in their lives and going through all the associated thoughts and feelings that go along with that. Sometimes, when I feel like that I just do nothing. I take time out where I can and I try to ride out the wave of emotion. I do this because I know it cannot be sustained, and will calm sooner or later, and then I will be more able to think about how to move forward. You know this too, because you say you have experience of time being a help in the past. It's just that some things affect us more deeply and take longer to process. Try to give yourself that time and space, and always keep in mind that these feelings are normal given the circumstances.

Take care of yourself.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6752 on: March 14, 2019, 07:43:53 pm »
I can feel this slowly creeping back up on me after I suffered with it back in 2017 and was suicidal for a period of time resulting in me nearly being sectioned and being sent the doctors straight from work.

Everything’s piling up on me at the min and I’m feeling it coming.

Sorry to hear that.

On a positive note it's clear from what you have said that you have experience of coming through this once before. I'm assuming there were avenues of support open to you that you could maybe access again before things get too bad? I hope so, anyway.

Are there any positive areas in your life currently that you could also focus on to lighten the mood a little? I know when I've noticed the storm clouds gathering in the past I've learned to put some energy into things that I still enjoy and sort of take me outside of my head, if that makes sense. Just having the dog to walk on the beach is a help to me. Even little things like that can be useful. Obviously, though, really troublesome issues still need to be addressed, of course.

I hope things ease up for you, but if not, I hope you look for and receive the support you require.

Take care of yourself.

Offline Perham

• Effes v2.0 - RAWK's Official Dog Snogger!
  • Legacy Fan
  • All is well
« Reply #6753 on: March 14, 2019, 08:05:18 pm »
You are being far too hard on yourself here. What you are feeling is normal and completely natural under the circumstances. Although a bit of a cliche, time is indeed a healer, but three days is absolutely no time at all. The loss of a loving relationship often affects a person in the same way as a bereavement. It's a big loss, and loss is a big deal for human beings. My first relationship ended after six years and it felt like someone I loved had died. It takes us quite a bit of time to process that kind of loss and upheaval in our lives. You will get there, but you have to give yourself time and space in which to process everything.

You may well feel a bit worse before you start to feel better, but that's the process working itself through. Don't beat yourself up for feeling as you do. As I said, it's normal.
Crying is not a bad thing. It helps get the pain out and it's just another part of the process of adjusting to losing what was, and adjusting to what now is. You are bound to feel raw, but it's best to acknowledge it and ride it out, because it will ease in time.

You clearly invested a lot of time, energy, emotion and love into your relationship and, as you say, this now leaves a big void. I know what that feels like, and it's absolutely horrible. As I said, it's very much like a bereavement, and it takes time to come to terms with things of such magnitude, but you will do. I am 100% certain of that. The void is something that will eventually be filled with other things, other people and other experiences, but in the meantime I think it's best to just accept that it's there for now.

You sound like you have a bit of a downer on yourself generally anyway, going by how you say you aren't really a good person. Maybe this is something you feel you could benefit from addressing in the future, when you feel a bit more able? Self-reflection is no bad thing so long as it's not needlessly self-critical. It's a good way of working out what we can improve on in order to help us get through life more effectively. Self-development, however you decide to go about it, can be a very positive way of filling a void in our lives. It can provide direction and purpose.

You don't sound dramatic at all. You sound like someone experiencing a big loss in their lives and going through all the associated thoughts and feelings that go along with that. Sometimes, when I feel like that I just do nothing. I take time out where I can and I try to ride out the wave of emotion. I do this because I know it cannot be sustained, and will calm sooner or later, and then I will be more able to think about how to move forward. You know this too, because you say you have experience of time being a help in the past. It's just that some things affect us more deeply and take longer to process. Try to give yourself that time and space, and always keep in mind that these feelings are normal given the circumstances.

Take care of yourself.
Thanks mate I really needed the encouragement. Yeah it does have the feeling of a bereavement right now and it is hard but I'm trying and like you said I'll just have to give it time. The void will be hard to fill as that time was the happiest time of my entire life and I'm not sure I'll ever fully get over it but I'll try my best and life goes on. About being a good person I know it's something I should work on because I feel like I constantly bring others down and not intentionally but I need to change that. I tried to not do that to her because I genuinely did love her but I fear that I did a bit towards the end and that's why we broke up. I can't help but feel like the bad guy in all of this. Thank you again for the reply it's very much appreciated
if I came home to allison in bed with my wife I'd ask him to phone Virgil to see if he wanted to pop round too.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6754 on: March 14, 2019, 08:10:16 pm »
After a change in meds last Sept I think it was and doing online CBT I had really started to feel good again - people had noticed the change.

weekend of 23/24th Feb would have been my Mums and my Wifes StepDads birthdays - my Ma died in 2007 before the kids were born and her Stepdad died in 2015. Anyway, I felt shit that weekend and had a proper plummet in feelings - been feeling like shit again, can't be arsed, struggle to do things at home. My youngest sons behaviour over the past few weeks hasn't helped, I'm sick to death of dealing with all the shit.

Starting to feel a bit better now and have got an appt with a new counsellor on Monday night, so hopefully things are on the turn again.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6755 on: March 14, 2019, 09:02:08 pm »
Thanks mate I really needed the encouragement. Yeah it does have the feeling of a bereavement right now and it is hard but I'm trying and like you said I'll just have to give it time. The void will be hard to fill as that time was the happiest time of my entire life and I'm not sure I'll ever fully get over it but I'll try my best and life goes on. About being a good person I know it's something I should work on because I feel like I constantly bring others down and not intentionally but I need to change that. I tried to not do that to her because I genuinely did love her but I fear that I did a bit towards the end and that's why we broke up. I can't help but feel like the bad guy in all of this. Thank you again for the reply it's very much appreciated

You're welcome.

Maybe you did make some mistakes, but who doesn't? At least you sound like you are willing to acknowledge them and learn from them. That bodes well for the future.

I made many horrendous mistakes in my past. I had a lot of issues, was extremely emotionally immature and a very negative person to be around. I lost a number of relationships and people I loved because of it. I've had to do a lot of work on myself in order to get to the place I'm in now, with a long-term relationship of around 15 years. I only mention this because it shows that despite the pain of a break-up, we can and do eventually get over it and move on. How we do that is up to us individually, but we do get there. I also mention it because it shows that even though we all mess up at times, we can still learn from it, improve ourselves and find new people, new things and new places that we can enjoy.

Just reading your post back again you said how your relationship was the happiest time of your life. This just highlights for me the depth of the loss you will be feeling and how the pain will not just go away in a few days. These things take time. Processing it all takes time. Sadly, these feelings are sort of the price we pay for loving and caring. The more we love and care, the more vulnerable and raw we are if/when it falls apart. This is one reason why some people don't invest as much of themselves into relationships as they could do. Because they simply don't feel able to risk the pain. Personally, I'd rather love 100% and take the pain if it happens.

You mentioned bringing others down. I wonder what drives that? Maybe you would benefit from working that out and addressing it. I used to bring others down too. I had no confidence and no self-esteem, and that influenced how I acted around others, even those I loved dearly. We can work on things though. We can make changes and learn from our mistakes. Actually, I think we learn far more from our mistakes than we do our successes. Well, if we are willing to do so, that is. You sound like you are, and that bodes well.

Look after yourself.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6756 on: March 14, 2019, 09:18:03 pm »
After a change in meds last Sept I think it was and doing online CBT I had really started to feel good again - people had noticed the change.

weekend of 23/24th Feb would have been my Mums and my Wifes StepDads birthdays - my Ma died in 2007 before the kids were born and her Stepdad died in 2015. Anyway, I felt shit that weekend and had a proper plummet in feelings - been feeling like shit again, can't be arsed, struggle to do things at home. My youngest sons behaviour over the past few weeks hasn't helped, I'm sick to death of dealing with all the shit.

Starting to feel a bit better now and have got an appt with a new counsellor on Monday night, so hopefully things are on the turn again.

I'll probably sound like a stuck record if you just read my first reply to Perham, but that nose-dive in feelings seems fairly normal to me given the context. By that, I mean you aren't doing anything 'wrong' here, and although those feelings are obviously unpleasant, they are natural given the circumstances in which they occurred. As such, it sounds like something to acknowledge, but not buy into and agonise over too much. I know I've mentioned this before, but things/feelings/thoughts often come in waves that we can neither prevent or fight. Sometimes it's better to just ride them out. I often picture myself surfing a wave in my mind, rather than becoming overwhelmed by it. Waves, well they always dissipate. They all break and then calm eventually. The trick is in how we learn to surf them. I hope that makes some sort of sense.

If you feel a bit shit, maybe allow yourself to do so. Don't give a shit for a couple of days then come back to it when you feel a bit more up to it. Self-care is important. We can't feel great all the time. It's a bit like the weather really. We try to hold onto the sunny weather, but no matter what we do it will piss down again at some point. Then again, when it's pissing down, we also know that at some point the sun will come back out. That's the way it works, and we can't fight it. We just have to work with it.

Anyway, sorry if this sounds like utter bollocks. It's just how I see things.

All the best with the new counsellor. I hope it helps you. Take care of yourself.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 09:19:38 pm by Sons of pioneerS »

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6757 on: March 15, 2019, 03:17:00 pm »
I'll probably sound like a stuck record if you just read my first reply to Perham, but that nose-dive in feelings seems fairly normal to me given the context. By that, I mean you aren't doing anything 'wrong' here, and although those feelings are obviously unpleasant, they are natural given the circumstances in which they occurred. As such, it sounds like something to acknowledge, but not buy into and agonise over too much. I know I've mentioned this before, but things/feelings/thoughts often come in waves that we can neither prevent or fight. Sometimes it's better to just ride them out. I often picture myself surfing a wave in my mind, rather than becoming overwhelmed by it. Waves, well they always dissipate. They all break and then calm eventually. The trick is in how we learn to surf them. I hope that makes some sort of sense.

If you feel a bit shit, maybe allow yourself to do so. Don't give a shit for a couple of days then come back to it when you feel a bit more up to it. Self-care is important. We can't feel great all the time. It's a bit like the weather really. We try to hold onto the sunny weather, but no matter what we do it will piss down again at some point. Then again, when it's pissing down, we also know that at some point the sun will come back out. That's the way it works, and we can't fight it. We just have to work with it.

Anyway, sorry if this sounds like utter bollocks. It's just how I see things.

All the best with the new counsellor. I hope it helps you. Take care of yourself.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, you've given me some new ideas on how to look at an approach things, which i will take on board.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6758 on: March 15, 2019, 04:26:53 pm »
I think im just about done. Been ok for a few months, weaned myself of tablets. Some twat winds me up at work. Now Ive got a bruised hand, a hole in the wall. Just spent an hour sat on the toilet at work with my head in my hands. Insomnia will really kick in now. Stomach is hurting, cant eat. A shit weekend has now got worse. Its so, so tiring. Im so sorry for ranting, all the best to those in pain.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6759 on: March 15, 2019, 08:59:02 pm »
I think im just about done. Been ok for a few months, weaned myself of tablets. Some twat winds me up at work. Now Ive got a bruised hand, a hole in the wall. Just spent an hour sat on the toilet at work with my head in my hands. Insomnia will really kick in now. Stomach is hurting, cant eat. A shit weekend has now got worse. Its so, so tiring. Im so sorry for ranting, all the best to those in pain.

Sending hugs.  Know exactly how you feel.  It's one of the reasons I left my job.

See about taking time off work, and if you can try to arrange a private therapist.  It might help in the short term.  You can also contact Talk Liverpool.  They will probably take time to get you some help, so the private therapist can help you in the meantime.

Popcorn's Art