Author Topic: The PL run-in  (Read 983287 times)

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The PL run-in
« Reply #3880 on: April 12, 2021, 12:31:18 am »
Did one of those result prediction things, and, being generous to our rivals, 5 wins and 2 draws from us squeaked us into fourth. Agree though that more points than that will be dropped by everyone. Ultimately comes down to us and whether we can maintain consistency for the last seven games. Which remains an open question.

Yep. We need to play a lot better than we did yesterday if we are to stand any chance.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #3881 on: April 12, 2021, 01:46:33 am »
West Ham's run in a by far the easiest.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline kj999

• 180 + 90 = ...............er..............hang on................ oh yeah 180........ :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Maths Mug!
« Reply #3882 on: April 12, 2021, 04:41:43 am »
Cause it's tomorrow ;D

oh yeaaaaah :faceplam:

Anyway, West Ham did win so
Clarity of Thought before Rashness of Action...

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3883 on: April 12, 2021, 08:41:42 am »
Beating Leeds will be a giant step.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3884 on: April 12, 2021, 08:43:37 am »

West Ham is West Ham.
Spurs are Spurs.
Everton is Everton.
Leicester is Leicester.

If we do our job, their results are irrelevant.

Offline kb2x

• Kopite
  • The Mystery Continues....
« Reply #3885 on: April 12, 2021, 09:36:37 am »
If we win 5 of our last 7 I'd be confident we'll end in 4th.

Leicester have a horrid final 3 fixtures and will probably drop out.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3886 on: April 12, 2021, 10:15:36 am »
If we win 5 of our last 7 I'd be confident we'll end in 4th.

I'm not sure we can afford to lose both the other two though.

5 wins, 1 draw and a loss and think we'd 100% make top 4.

Offline eeekaj

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3887 on: April 12, 2021, 10:34:13 am »
I know it's not as easy as it says on paper but we really should win 5 of our last 7 (even with our injuries):

Leeds (A)
Newcastle (H)
Man Utd (A)
Southampton (H)
West Brom (A)
Burnley (A)
Crystal Palace (H)

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #3888 on: April 12, 2021, 11:03:22 am »
3. Leicester - 56 (7 games remaining)
4. West Ham - 55 (7 games remaining)
5. Chelsea - 54 (7 games remaining)
6. Liverpool - 52 (7 games remaining)
7. Tottenham - 49 (7 games remaining)
8. Everton - 47 (9 games remaining)

Leicester to play: Manchester United, Chelsea, Tottenham (3 out of 7 remaining)

Chelsea to play: West Ham, Manchester City, Arsenal, Leicester (4 out of 7 remaining)

Liverpool to play: Manchester United (1 out of 7 remaining)

West Ham to play: Chelsea, Everton (2 out of 7 remaining)

Tottenham to play: Everton, Leicester (2 out of 7 remaining)

Everton to play: Tottenham, Arsenal, West Ham, Manchester City (4 out of 9 remaining)

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3889 on: April 12, 2021, 11:14:08 am »
I know it's not as easy as it says on paper but we really should win 5 of our last 7 (even with our injuries):

Leeds (A)
Newcastle (H)
Man Utd (A)
Southampton (H)
West Brom (A)
Burnley (A)

Crystal Palace (H)
That was the run of opponents at the turn of the year that effectively ended our title challenge and started the terrible run that we've only just come out of.  We took two points from those four games!

The league table doesn't lie and they're all bottom half sides but also all capable of heading away 20 crosses, blocking 10 shots, scrambling away 50 clearances and then scoring from their only foray across the halfway line.

I'm clinging to the hope that having Jota back to help out Salah with the burden of goal-scoring will make enough of a difference.

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3890 on: April 12, 2021, 11:29:42 am »
It does feel like there is a clear route towards top four now, so we’ve just got to hope that it can concentrate the minds (2016/17 style if you will).

Offline eeekaj

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3891 on: April 12, 2021, 11:34:16 am »
That was the run of opponents at the turn of the year that effectively ended our title challenge and started the terrible run that we've only just come out of.  We took two points from those four games!

The league table doesn't lie and they're all bottom half sides but also all capable of heading away 20 crosses, blocking 10 shots, scrambling away 50 clearances and then scoring from their only foray across the halfway line.

I'm clinging to the hope that having Jota back to help out Salah with the burden of goal-scoring will make enough of a difference.

Yep, totally agree, but I'd rather face these sides than who Leicester/Chelsea have to face. Difference this time is that we have the likes of Jota/Fabinho back. I really think we will do it, and a week ago I thought we had no chance!

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3892 on: April 12, 2021, 11:39:32 am »

Leeds (A)
Newcastle (H)
Man Utd (A)
Southampton (H)
West Brom (A)
Burnley (A)
Crystal Palace (H)
I think we will need to win 6. Our goal difference isn't great compared to the others so we can't rely on ending up on level points.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3893 on: April 12, 2021, 11:43:01 am »
I think we will need to win 6. Our goal difference isn't great compared to the others so we can't rely on ending up on level points.

If we win 5 and say only lose one you’d expect the GD to improve a fair bit and we’d be needing others to not win a few so you’d hope we’d end up with the edge.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #3894 on: April 12, 2021, 12:13:45 pm »
this run-in will be quite exciting seeing as we won't be winning the prem again this year - it's like one of those world cup group of deaths

it's good that we can still show our passion for the club rather than a mid-table boring end to the season
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline jlb

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3895 on: April 12, 2021, 12:24:09 pm »
Which of these fixtures (if any) will have fans in attendance?

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3896 on: April 12, 2021, 12:27:54 pm »

Leeds (A)
Newcastle (H)
Man Utd (A)
Southampton (H)
West Brom (A)
Burnley (A)
Crystal Palace (H)

If we win our next 3, I am fairly confident we will win our all 7 matches to wrap this up. (Or we guarantee Top 4 before last match and play a weak team against Palace in our last match.)

Leeds away won't be as scary as people think, we play better against teams who actually try to play football and have a weak defense.
United match will be the tough test for us.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3897 on: April 12, 2021, 12:37:15 pm »
If we win our next 3, I am fairly confident we will win our all 7 matches to wrap this up. (Or we guarantee Top 4 before last match and play a weak team against Palace in our last match.)

Leeds away won't be as scary as people think, we play better against teams who actually try to play football and have a weak defense.
United match will be the tough test for us.

United are such a strange team. It'll depend on how he plays it, but for what it's worth given how strange the season has been I actually fancy our first win at old trafford in a fucking age to happen this time out. Not really based on much other than that seems to have been the case for a lot of results this year.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Online Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #3898 on: April 12, 2021, 01:10:10 pm »
Which of these fixtures (if any) will have fans in attendance?
The last one, presuming the next phase of the roadmap happens on 17th May.  The PL were talking about moving the penultimate fixture to after 17th May (midweek) so each club has fans in for at least one game
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Online Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #3899 on: April 12, 2021, 01:22:51 pm »
I think 69 points will be enough, Leicester's last three games look horrendous, think they may miss out, West Ham have a fairly easy run in, apart from Chelsea, Chelsea have three tough games and they also have the FA Cup and Champions League too (which we may not have after Wednesday - although hoping we do turn it round)  The Bitters are still in the mix too and Spurs.  It's going to be a fun ride.

Win all out games and we'll be there, but with this season who know what happens!

Give me a piss the League season over scrapping it out for top four any day of the week!

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3900 on: April 12, 2021, 01:25:56 pm »
Newcastle away isnt an easy game for West Ham.
I can see them losing that with the players Newcastle have back.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3901 on: April 12, 2021, 01:43:27 pm »
I think 69 points will be enough, Leicester's last three games look horrendous, think they may miss out, West Ham have a fairly easy run in, apart from Chelsea, Chelsea have three tough games and they also have the FA Cup and Champions League too (which we may not have after Wednesday - although hoping we do turn it round)  The Bitters are still in the mix too and Spurs.  It's going to be a fun ride.

Win all out games and we'll be there, but with this season who know what happens!

Give me a piss the League season over scrapping it out for top four any day of the week!

I do think the game against Madrid could end up being significant. If we turn that around then in all likelihood we'd face a 2 legged semi v chelsea, which IMO would affect both our form and theirs in the league. A nice problem to have of course, maybe.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Online Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #3902 on: April 12, 2021, 02:10:21 pm »
I do think the game against Madrid could end up being significant. If we turn that around then in all likelihood we'd face a 2 legged semi v chelsea, which IMO would affect both our form and theirs in the league. A nice problem to have of course, maybe.
true, if we only have the league to concentrate on we can at least throw all our eggs into that basket without distraction. Although I would still prefer to be in a CL semi-final of course

Offline jlb

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3903 on: April 12, 2021, 02:20:00 pm »
The last one, presuming the next phase of the roadmap happens on 17th May.  The PL were talking about moving the penultimate fixture to after 17th May (midweek) so each club has fans in for at least one game

Thanks, at least we're home if fans are only allowed for the last game.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #3904 on: April 12, 2021, 02:28:44 pm »
But they are managed by Davey Moyes and have Lingaard as their best player at the moment.
I fancy our chances against them.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3905 on: April 12, 2021, 03:18:40 pm »
United are such a strange team. It'll depend on how he plays it, but for what it's worth given how strange the season has been I actually fancy our first win at old trafford in a fucking age to happen this time out. Not really based on much other than that seems to have been the case for a lot of results this year.

No chance we are winning there, not with the Premier Game Manchester Officials Limited in charge.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #3906 on: April 12, 2021, 03:24:22 pm »

If we go out on Wednesday but bounce back against Leeds I think we'd get top 4 from there. Pretty much one game a week, hopefully Henderson back.

If we go through on Wednesday it'd probably hurt our top 4 chances, but we'd have a great chance of winning the CL.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3907 on: April 12, 2021, 03:34:25 pm »
It does feel like there is a clear route towards top four now, so we’ve just got to hope that it can concentrate the minds (2016/17 style if you will).

Yeah, this is what it comes down to.

Even a few weeks ago, I was clinging to the hope that top four was still possible... but now I actually believe it!

Too many possible permutations to be sure of how the final table will look, but I reckon City and United are certs for top 2 places, then it will be a matter of just a couple of points separating us, Leicester, West Ham and Chelsea. I can see Spurs and Everton falling off the pace though.

As others have said, 68 points (W5,D1,L1) will likely be enough to get a top four place, 70 points (W6,L1) will pretty much guarantee it. What's clear is that we absolutely must win at least five of our last seven games, and that's going to be tough. But like Parappa the Rapper, you gotta believe!

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3908 on: April 12, 2021, 03:39:04 pm »
No chance we are winning there, not with the Premier Game Manchester Officials Limited in charge.

I seen us play well at OT and lost. We have a mental block with that place. Providing we win the rest that game can be our margin of error.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3909 on: April 12, 2021, 03:41:03 pm »
Yeah, this is what it comes down to.

Even a few weeks ago, I was clinging to the hope that top four was still possible... but now I actually believe it!

Too many possible permutations to be sure of how the final table will look, but I reckon City and United are certs for top 2 places, then it will be a matter of just a couple of points separating us, Leicester, West Ham and Chelsea. I can see Spurs and Everton falling off the pace though.

As others have said, 68 points (W5,D1,L1) will likely be enough to get a top four place, 70 points (W6,L1) will pretty much guarantee it. What's clear is that we absolutely must win at least five of our last seven games, and that's going to be tough. But like Parappa the Rapper, you gotta believe!

Kick, punch, it's all in the mind!

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #3910 on: April 12, 2021, 05:11:23 pm »
Injuries are piling up for Leicester and West Ham as well.  This season has been ridiculously grueling for all teams.  Who knows how much they have left in the tank?  If Lingard wasn't having the purplist of purple patches I think West Ham would already be out of it.  We'll see.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #3911 on: April 12, 2021, 07:10:47 pm »
Kick, punch, it's all in the mind!
We never do it the easy way
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #3912 on: April 12, 2021, 08:18:04 pm »
Can't figure out if WBA were good today or Saints just terrible - they keep playing like they played today and they might even stay up

Offline dutchkop

• has an issue with his phlemish phalange (bunch of jackals, leave him alone).
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3913 on: April 12, 2021, 10:25:34 pm »
one game at a time.. first Madrid - tough ask without the crowd, but score 1/2 in first half and then anyone's game.

same for Prem league table.. one game at a time.approach - just win the games

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3914 on: April 12, 2021, 10:43:54 pm »
After tonight's games ...

Leicester (56)

WBA (h)
Crystal Palace (h)
Southampton (a)
Newcastle (h)
Man Utd (a)
Chelsea (a)
Tottenham (h)

West Ham (55)

Newcastle (a)
Chelsea (h)
Burnley (a)
Everton (h)
Brighton (a)
WBA (a)
Southampton (h)

Chelsea (54)

Brighton (h)
West Ham (a)
Fulham (h)
Man City (a)
Arsenal (h)
Leicester (h)
Aston Villa (a)

LFC (52)

Leeds (a)
Newcastle (h)
Man Utd (a)
Southampton (h)
WBA (a)
Burnley (a)
Crystal Palace (h)

Tottenham (49)

Everton (a)
Southampton (h)
Sheffield Utd (h)
Leeds (a)
Wolves (h)
Aston Villa (h)
Leicester (a)

Everton (48)

Tottenham (h)
Arsenal (a)
Aston Villa (h)
West Ham (a)
Sheffield Utd (h)
Wolves (h)
Man City (a)
Aston Villa (a) postponed fixture

Online exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #3915 on: April 12, 2021, 11:07:34 pm »
Win our next 2 and if Chelsea V West Ham is a draw and it'll look fantastic for us.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Anfield Kopite

• Will vote for anyone who gives out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3916 on: April 12, 2021, 11:21:26 pm »
One by one other teams fall away. Over the last couple of weeks Arsenal, Villa, Spurs, Everton surely blown top 4. 4 teams (Leicester, Chelsea, West Ham and Us) fighting for 2 spots.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #3917 on: April 12, 2021, 11:42:51 pm »
Been a good weekend for us - did our bit, Spurs have lost, and Leicester's defeat keeps 3rd & 4th open and tightens things up.  Big game for Everton tomorrow - they're still a definite factor with two games in hand that could take them to 53 points.
Spoiler
3rdLeicester31+1856
4thWest Ham31+1255
5thChelsea31+1954
6thLiverpool31+1652
7thSpurs31+1749
8thEverton29+347

Tomorrow:
Brighton vs Everton

Next matches:
Everton vs Spurs
Newcastle vs West Ham
Leeds vs Liverpool
Chelsea vs Brighton
[close]

Updated:

3rdLeicester31+1856
4thWest Ham31+1255
5thChelsea31+1954
6thLiverpool31+1652
7thSpurs31+1749
8thEverton30+348

Next matches:
Everton vs Spurs
Newcastle vs West Ham
Leeds vs Liverpool
Chelsea vs Brighton

Everton's game in hand is against Villa, which is by no means a guaranteed 3 points.  A draw between Everton & Spurs on Friday night would be good for everyone above.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 11:46:30 pm by jackh »

Online Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #3918 on: April 13, 2021, 12:01:03 am »
I think Everton are done, they have Spurs, Arsenal and Villa up next and their form has gone to pot

Everton's record at Arsenal is worse than their record at Anfield.  Two wins in 33 years and nothing since 1996.

Their recent record against Spurs ain't great either

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #3919 on: April 13, 2021, 12:13:50 am »
Every team is going to lose 2 or 3.

We need to not lose our heads when it happens to us....
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W