Author Topic: Kop to be expanded ...  (Read 171210 times)

Offline RedorRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Kop to be expanded ...
« Reply #160 on: February 20, 2018, 09:49:33 am »
Must of missed that haha, Also remember the new shop was originally supposed to be in the main stand expansion, What has happened to that space?
Yeah I’ve been wondering the same...... that’s a big space? Are they planning on it still being retail for match days?

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #161 on: February 20, 2018, 09:54:58 am »
Yeah I’ve been wondering the same...... that’s a big space? Are they planning on it still being retail for match days?

Prob no need with the size of the new club store.

Imagine they'll see how this bar goes and then make a decision.

Offline The Lord Admiral

• Anny Roader
« Reply #162 on: February 21, 2018, 12:42:41 am »
Must of missed that haha, Also remember the new shop was originally supposed to be in the main stand expansion, What has happened to that space?

I wouldn't be surprised if that gets fitted out with more corporate entertainment areas if the ARE gets done. Guessing though.

Offline Macred

• Main Stander
« Reply #163 on: February 21, 2018, 08:59:58 am »
I wouldn't be surprised if that gets fitted out with more corporate entertainment areas if the ARE gets done. Guessing though.

McNasty's or Pizza Hut, would do some good business on matchdays and a nice little earner.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: February 21, 2018, 09:27:18 am »
McNasty's or Pizza Hut, would do some good business on matchdays and a nice little earner.

We had a maccies did we not on the outside of the kop? A few years back

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: February 21, 2018, 10:26:11 am »
We had a maccies did we not on the outside of the kop? A few years back

Yeah we did, always used to be a nice treat as a kid going the game and getting a happy meal as well, 2 in 1!!

The club have actually done quite well recently in getting the surrounding area up to some sort of standard where people can come early and have a drink and some food or if you have kids you can go to the family zone. It would be good if the club had a couple of decent sports bars set up with reasonable prices and decent bar food where, if you wanted, you could watch the early kick off or the late kick off before heading into the game or before heading home/into town after the game

Offline RedorRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #166 on: February 21, 2018, 10:27:08 am »
Was inside the Kop when it first was seated....

Offline RedorRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #167 on: February 21, 2018, 10:29:12 am »
Yeah we did, always used to be a nice treat as a kid going the game and getting a happy meal as well, 2 in 1!!

The club have actually done quite well recently in getting the surrounding area up to some sort of standard where people can come early and have a drink and some food or if you have kids you can go to the family zone. It would be good if the club had a couple of decent sports bars set up with reasonable prices and decent bar food where, if you wanted, you could watch the early kick off or the late kick off before heading into the game or before heading home/into town after the game
Would be good to have a huge sports bar that plays the away games in it on match day..... will it up, get a good atmosphere in there. I’m sure we could come to some arrangement on the TV rights.... the rest of the world watches all the games.

Offline Jonny-B

• Kopite
« Reply #168 on: February 21, 2018, 11:33:47 am »
Would be good to have a huge sports bar that plays the away games in it on match day..... will it up, get a good atmosphere in there. I’m sure we could come to some arrangement on the TV rights.... the rest of the world watches all the games.

Other clubs do beam backs. But not the 3pm Saturdays. We hardly ever play then anyway.

Edit having read other clubs forum the rules in the Championship are 4 3pm beambacks a season and the away allocation must be sold out. No idea how this translates to the premier league.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 11:35:46 am by Jonny-B »

Offline Macred

• Main Stander
« Reply #169 on: February 21, 2018, 12:49:44 pm »
There was a thread on it on here... closed  2003 as was not making money on non-match days. 

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=12912.0

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #170 on: February 21, 2018, 03:29:03 pm »

Agreed, Although its quite telling that the remaining chippies always have a massive queue whilst those places in shipping containers never seem to!

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: February 22, 2018, 12:07:11 am »

Hadn't thought about this for years... Have you seen the way Yawkey Way was developed at Fenway?? Yum-Yum.

http://petermcgurk.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/part-3-working-with-neighbours.html
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 12:15:52 am by Peter McGurk »

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: February 22, 2018, 01:29:37 pm »
The area around Fenway is a really cool place to go before, during and after a baseball game. It was done up really nicely and hopefully Anfield will get a similar treatment once the council does the regeneration

If we do the Anny Road as well as the main plus the new club shop the surrounding area should match up, not just for the club but for the people who live and work around there

Offline Macred

• Main Stander
« Reply #173 on: February 22, 2018, 02:34:42 pm »
Hadn't thought about this for years... Have you seen the way Yawkey Way was developed at Fenway?? Yum-Yum.

Something like that would be good, and on the other side on the frontage of the hotel (the front facing Wb Road looks good, the other side drab imo) rather than the rather boring thing they have drawn currently It would make the area have a really good vibe imo. Dont know what you do about the weather. They also have this Kop bar plan too but I cant find the online plans for that to see what it will look like.

This is the hotel:

« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 02:38:29 pm by Macred »

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #174 on: February 22, 2018, 02:37:41 pm »
Pointless planning so much outdoor space as majority of the time the weather is too wet or cold for anyone to be stood outside.

Club bars and club food stalls (as they've done by the Main, entrance to Centenary at Kop end and on Anny Rd) are their way of doing this, as is the vastly increased size of the concourse area within the Main Stand itself.

Online emitime

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #175 on: February 22, 2018, 04:13:08 pm »
Pointless planning so much outdoor space as majority of the time the weather is too wet or cold for anyone to be stood outside.

As long as it's not pissing it down (which it doesn't very often), I think most people should be suitably dressed to stand outside for a bit given they're going to a football match.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #176 on: February 22, 2018, 04:30:25 pm »
As long as it's not pissing it down (which it doesn't very often), I think most people should be suitably dressed to stand outside for a bit given they're going to a football match.

Dressed to sit under covered stands for 90 mins, yeah.

Not sure how many games you've been to at Anfield, I'm knocking on 27 years as a ST holder who has always gone to the area for a drink a few hours before and after games, and I can safely say that unless everywhere that offers drinking inside shuts down that the vast majority will not want to stand outside for hours in the cold shitty wet weather of North West England. No matter how suitably dressed.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: February 22, 2018, 04:33:23 pm »

Not sure how many games you've been to at Anfield, I'm knocking on 27 years as a ST holder who has always gone to the area for a drink a few hours before and after games, and I can safely say that unless everywhere that offers drinking inside shuts down that the vast majority will not want to stand outside for hours in the cold shitty wet weather of North West England. No matter how suitably dressed.

Exactly, from about about October to April, the last thing you want to do is stand outside.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: February 22, 2018, 04:50:09 pm »

They are changing the name as Tom Yawkey was a bit of a racist owner in his refusal to sign black players.

The Redsox were the last team to integrate in baseball,12 years after Brooklyn Dodgers signed Jackie Robinson and broke the baseball colour barrier.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online emitime

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #180 on: February 22, 2018, 05:15:47 pm »

I know it's a bit warmer in the ground, but it's hardly heated.

Dortmund have a decent outdoorsy bit. I know their weather is a little better, but it's not like it's warm during the winter; it was fine outside last February.

I'm sure most people that go to the pubs would continue to do so, but you're not going to get all 50,000 in them. I don't think an alternative is totally without merit.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #181 on: February 22, 2018, 05:37:58 pm »
I know it's a bit warmer in the ground, but it's hardly heated.

Dortmund have a decent outdoorsy bit. I know their weather is a little better, but it's not like it's warm during the winter; it was fine outside last February.

I'm sure most people that go to the pubs would continue to do so, but you're not going to get all 50,000 in them. I don't think an alternative is totally without merit.

It's a hell of a lot warmer in the ground than standing under a few slightly sheltered outdoor areas with sideways wind, frost, heavy rain, or a combination of those which we constantly experience.

I mean how many do you see on the all outside the petrol station by the Sandon when the weather is like that?

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: February 22, 2018, 05:42:57 pm »
Something like that would be good, and on the other side on the frontage of the hotel (the front facing Wb Road looks good, the other side drab imo) rather than the rather boring thing they have drawn currently It would make the area have a really good vibe imo. Dont know what you do about the weather. They also have this Kop bar plan too but I cant find the online plans for that to see what it will look like.

Not really designed as 'active frontage'. There'll only be one active door to the hotel.

Possibly a commercial opportunity missed above the 'shops' but then what's the market for even small offices in L4? As for being outside, nothing wrong with a heated tent or pavilion - even a big band stand.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 09:52:44 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline JCM

• Anny Roader
« Reply #183 on: February 22, 2018, 08:49:19 pm »
I really like the new design of the hotel.  Its a great idea to mirror the style of the new Main Stand and to blend it in with the new shop. Its clever as it brings the whole development together.
LFC Collectables

Offline Macred

• Main Stander
« Reply #184 on: February 22, 2018, 09:26:30 pm »
I really like the new design of the hotel.  Its a great idea to mirror the style of the new Main Stand and to blend it in with the new shop. Its clever as it brings the whole development together.

I will delete this if it is the wrong thread but in case no one has seen it. These are the new shops going opposite The Albert. So all following the same kind of design theme with the brick columns etc.

The end property is earmarked to be a cafe/bar.

Re. the cold, if you have patio heaters and a coat on, being outside not a problem.

Offline JCM

• Anny Roader
« Reply #185 on: February 22, 2018, 09:47:44 pm »
That looks good too.  Does anyone know what (if anything) is happening with the Albert ?
LFC Collectables

Offline Macred

• Main Stander
« Reply #186 on: February 22, 2018, 10:05:00 pm »
That looks good too.  Does anyone know what (if anything) is happening with the Albert ?

Nothing seen to say it is going presently (it is still shown on the plans for the shops opposite) and there have been mixed messages about it in the past. Going, staying etc. I like it, bit of history and contrast but it needs buying by the club and tarting up and looking after.

The plans for the new Kop bar went in last week but I cant find them on the council planner and that may something in there about The Albert. All teh road is getting done this summer and the plan has always been to remove the wall around the Kop and that would likely tie in with the Kop being a bar etc.

Offline JCM

• Anny Roader
« Reply #187 on: February 22, 2018, 10:17:51 pm »
Interesting, cheers Macred
LFC Collectables

Offline RedorRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #188 on: February 23, 2018, 09:01:42 am »
I will delete this if it is the wrong thread but in case no one has seen it. These are the new shops going opposite The Albert. So all following the same kind of design theme with the brick columns etc.

The end property is earmarked to be a cafe/bar.

Re. the cold, if you have patio heaters and a coat on, being outside not a problem.

Still an opportunity my seed to have brought that land and extended the Kop out that way. The Kop is getting dwarfed by the rest of Anfield and new grounds in general.

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: February 26, 2018, 11:13:01 pm »
Question, can any future Kop expansion be in the form of a second tier?  Maybe hack off the seats beyond row 68 allowing the existing Kop to retain its profile with rail seating and add a second tier based on new building regulations with around 35 rows possibly adding 7000 seats?  Standing Kop with 18000-20000 with seats above? 
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #190 on: February 26, 2018, 11:18:41 pm »
Question, can any future Kop expansion be in the form of a second tier?  Maybe hack off the seats beyond row 68 allowing the existing Kop to retain its profile with rail seating and add a second tier based on new building regulations with around 35 rows possibly adding 7000 seats?  Standing Kop with 18000-20000 with seats above? 

It wouldn't be the Kop.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Macred

• Main Stander
« Reply #191 on: February 27, 2018, 09:05:17 am »

The whole point of the Kop is it is one tier, ideally all standing (safely). The ARE, Main, KK can be as many tiers as you want. The only viable alternative would be for the Kop to switch ends as there is plenty of space at the ARE. But that option is not popular either... but maybe the club should have an online poll rather than making assumptions.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #192 on: February 27, 2018, 09:13:44 am »
The whole point of the Kop is it is one tier, ideally all standing (safely). The ARE, Main, KK can be as many tiers as you want. The only viable alternative would be for the Kop to switch ends as there is plenty of space at the ARE. But that option is not popular either... but maybe the club should have an online poll rather than making assumptions.

The Kop has been in that position since 1906. Moving it to the opposite side, whilst the current one will still be there, and switching its name would not then make it The Kop.

Kind of like if he moved to a new stadium and called it Anfield it would not be Anfield.

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: February 27, 2018, 09:53:26 am »
The Kop has been in that position since 1906. Moving it to the opposite side, whilst the current one will still be there, and switching its name would not then make it The Kop.

Kind of like if he moved to a new stadium and called it Anfield it would not be Anfield.

And the sun would shine in your eyes at a three o'clock kick-off (I wish!).

Offline Macred

• Main Stander
« Reply #194 on: February 27, 2018, 10:21:12 am »

Less and less chance of that!!

On the plus side, the opponents keeper would also be blinded while also having the Kop behind him sucking in goals that the keeper can not see! I jest.

Offline Macred

• Main Stander
« Reply #195 on: February 27, 2018, 10:26:24 am »

No I get that but how many people wanted to move or were happy with a move, about 50/50?

And what makes the Kop, its position, what it is made of, its design, or the people in it?

I dunno, but like say an attachment to Melwood, sometimes you can not let history hold you back from going forward. Is the Kop with seats all that? If they could make a giant single tier at the ARE and get more people in at the right place is that not better? And if they make it so it could easily convert to standing, and you have all that space behind for crowd management - I would say any logical analysis would say it makes sense. It also then allows the Kop to have a 2nd tier and remove some of the problems of expanding that maybe? Not saying I want to do that but I can see merit in doing it that way.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #196 on: February 27, 2018, 10:31:30 am »
No I get that but how many people wanted to move or were happy with a move, about 50/50?

No idea. I don't think it's a vote that should be put to the masses - a huge load of which have probably never been to Anfield or stood/sat on the Kop.

And what makes the Kop, its position, what it is made of, its design, or the people in it?

Well it was a name given to the stand built in that location in 1906. Whilst the fans may make it, those fans have been on a stand in that location for over 110 years.

If we moved to a stadium in London but called it Anfield would it still be Anfield?

I dunno, but like say an attachment to Melwood, sometimes you can not let history hold you back from going forward. Is the Kop with seats all that? If they could make a giant single tier at the ARE and get more people in at the right place is that not better? And if they make it so it could easily convert to standing, and you have all that space behind for crowd management - I would say any logical analysis would say it makes sense. It also then allows the Kop to have a 2nd tier and remove some of the problems of expanding that maybe? Not saying I want to do that but I can see merit in doing it that way.

If they wanted to build a single tier stand at the opposite side then fine, no problem. It, however, is not the Kop and shouldn't be called as such.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: February 27, 2018, 12:51:23 pm »

Used to hate that when we stood in the Anny Road, couldn't see a thing.

You can't call the Anny Rd the Kop. :o
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline poopscoop

• Kopite
  • And what a delighted scorer – it's Tommy Smith!
« Reply #198 on: February 27, 2018, 02:42:40 pm »

I disagree with that. The Kop is not the kop I grew up with - not even remotely. In essence what we have now is as soulless (architecturally) as any other stand. It is the people who invest themselves in the match and supporting LFC that make it what it is. You drop any other set of fans in there and its pants - with the exception of the Irish and crazy Dutch boys in the playoff before Euro 96 - the character of the fans make it what it is.
I'd have no problem if the club developed a single or two tier structure (a la Holte End) at the Anny Road end, if it meant better access to matches for young people or affordable ticketing. It's not iconoclastic to suggest the existing Kop has had its day and perhaps the most feasible solution to improving the ground is at the other end of the pitch. 

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #199 on: February 27, 2018, 02:46:31 pm »
I disagree with that. The Kop is not the kop I grew up with - not even remotely. In essence what we have now is as soulless (architecturally) as any other stand. It is the people who invest themselves in the match and supporting LFC that make it what it is. You drop any other set of fans in there and its pants - with the exception of the Irish and crazy Dutch boys in the playoff before Euro 96 - the character of the fans make it what it is.
I'd have no problem if the club developed a single or two tier structure (a la Holte End) at the Anny Road end, if it meant better access to matches for young people or affordable ticketing. It's not iconoclastic to suggest the existing Kop has had its day and perhaps the most feasible solution to improving the ground is at the other end of the pitch.

As said, I've no problem if the club wanted to do that, however for me it would be ridiculous to then call it the Kop, given that the Kop as a named stand has been in that position for over 110 years - before what it was now, before what it was when it was the standing terraces we remember and I expect long before the famous atmosphere it became known for ever happened.