Author Topic: Android Phones - Apps and stuff  (Read 258625 times)

Online Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Android Phones - Apps and stuff
« Reply #2400 on: November 12, 2017, 10:52:15 am »
Looking for an app to back up SMS messages that I can upload onto a computer and print off. Preferably something that keeps the date and times of each text.

I had something previously. SMS Backup and Restore or something like that. It was OK for the backing up part, but not the uploading. Had to download some shit to convert it into a readable format so can't be arsed with that again.

Use ifttt.com.
Install app and connect to Google drive.
Create a recipe when SMS received it writes a row into a Google spreadsheet.
If you want outgoing too, create another recipe for SMS sent.

Offline ArthurDooley82

• Box-clever, non-pink, manly man's man. Contact for more details. No bibs! Grrrr :)
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2401 on: November 12, 2017, 04:27:38 pm »
Got one last week, lovely little phone, quite chunky though. Really good battery life.

Nice one for the little review  :thumbup

Offline plasterered

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a....
« Reply #2402 on: November 15, 2017, 11:29:49 pm »
Download 'Show box' - tons of films and TV on there and you can pick and choose what episode you want to play and when. It is a brilliant app.

You will need to google 'show box download apk' though as it won't appear on the PlayStore.

I believe you can actually download videos off there too. Though I have not tried that yet. I just stream at 720p. Which on a phone or tablet is more than watchable.

Cheers Show box and the ikes just apps then do they run on WIFI as my mobdro only runs on my 4G

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2403 on: November 16, 2017, 11:59:40 pm »
Cheers Show box and the ikes just apps then do they run on WIFI as my mobdro only runs on my 4G

Yeah show box runs on WiFi.

Terrarium mentioned above is the same. Both very useful. But the amount of ads on Terrarium pisses me off. Show Box you tend to get 1 which you can close right away.

Mobdro works on WiFi too. Perhaps you're internet provider blocks it. If that is the case install a VPN on your phone (Open VPN works fine) and change your location to another country. I only use Mobdro occasionally as I find it hit and miss. But using a VPN helps.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2404 on: November 25, 2017, 09:00:26 pm »
anyone here get a honor 9?

decided to take a punt on it. 300 pounds on Amazon.co.uk on black friday. looks a nice phone and reviews all seem very positive.

Offline plasterered

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a....
« Reply #2405 on: November 26, 2017, 11:31:18 pm »
Yeah show box runs on WiFi.

Terrarium mentioned above is the same. Both very useful. But the amount of ads on Terrarium pisses me off. Show Box you tend to get 1 which you can close right away.

Mobdro works on WiFi too. Perhaps you're internet provider blocks it. If that is the case install a VPN on your phone (Open VPN works fine) and change your location to another country. I only use Mobdro occasionally as I find it hit and miss. But using a VPN helps.
Sound. Im on BT broadband Can i get vpn app from play store or do i need an external source?

I also wonder if i can use a slimport cable to stream mobdro from my phone but watch on the tv via the cable ?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2406 on: December 3, 2017, 01:36:04 pm »
Sound. Im on BT broadband Can i get vpn app from play store or do i need an external source?

I also wonder if i can use a slimport cable to stream mobdro from my phone but watch on the tv via the cable ?

I've got Opera VPN on my phone. Works a treat and it's free.

Got an S8 the other day. Very very impressed with it. So much better than the S6. Haven't really got to sit down and play much with it though, hopefully get to do that tonight.

Any recommendations for a free music player

And also a decent app for TV remote. Had Peel pre-installed on the S6 which controlled all my TV's (Samsung, LG, Toshiba and Panasonic) and was great. But the only one available on Play store is for Smart TVs. None of my TVs are Smart TVs so that's pretty useless.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2407 on: December 3, 2017, 02:10:08 pm »

Free vpns will work but you don't need a vpn on BT for Terrarium or any of the others (unless you want to hide your activity),Mobdro is the only one that blocks itself and that is only during Prem footy,once the football finishes it starts working again.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline outlaw_nas

• Kopite
« Reply #2408 on: December 10, 2017, 08:12:35 am »
I've got a Samsung 8. Whilst on any app randomly Google play loads up. How do I stop that?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2409 on: December 10, 2017, 08:52:01 am »
I've got a Samsung 8. Whilst on any app randomly Google play loads up. How do I stop that?

Is your device rooted? Does it have any apps installed that shouldn't be? ie have you turned on installing unknown sources and allowed those apk's?

Is it every app or specific ones?

Offline outlaw_nas

• Kopite
« Reply #2410 on: December 10, 2017, 08:14:34 pm »
Always been with Apple and first time on android.
Sorry for asking but what do you mean by rooted?
How do I check them settings?

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2411 on: December 11, 2017, 04:08:55 pm »
If Google Play is opening every time you open an app there is some sort of malware on your phone. I'd either factory reset or try and run a malware scan from (ironically) an app downloaded from Google Play.

Offline outlaw_nas

• Kopite
« Reply #2412 on: December 11, 2017, 08:07:50 pm »
Phone isn't jail broken.
It doesn't happen all the time but randomly every couple of hours. Even if I have Tom Tom on and driving then randomly Google app will open.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2413 on: December 11, 2017, 09:55:48 pm »
Phone isn't jail broken.
It doesn't happen all the time but randomly every couple of hours. Even if I have Tom Tom on and driving then randomly Google app will open.

Check that all of your apps are up to date & if they are you need to scan it for adware

Offline outlaw_nas

• Kopite
« Reply #2414 on: December 12, 2017, 09:28:28 am »
adware scan and anti virus are not picking anything up, will do update now and see if that helps

Offline outlaw_nas

• Kopite
« Reply #2415 on: December 12, 2017, 09:29:54 am »
[emoji36] [emoji1]

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2416 on: December 12, 2017, 09:46:36 am »
Have you got any app on there that isn't quite right? You'll be surprised what's allowed on the app store. Maybe something published by a small independent developer? None of the major, well known apps would cause that. Otherwise just back your shit up and do a factory reset.

Offline outlaw_nas

• Kopite
« Reply #2417 on: December 12, 2017, 09:59:11 am »
it loads of that page ^ randomly, so far all app seem standard, will have to do a reset i think
btw whats a good adware software

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2418 on: December 12, 2017, 04:03:18 pm »
Which google app is loading up, it might be that you are getting spurious activations of google assistant somehow.

Offline outlaw_nas

• Kopite
« Reply #2419 on: December 12, 2017, 09:21:07 pm »
Which google app is loading up, it might be that you are getting spurious activations of google assistant somehow.
This one

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2420 on: December 12, 2017, 09:29:31 pm »
I wonder if it's something to do with not having an equaliser installed. That said I'd be absolutely amazed if the Samsung s8 doesn't have one pre installed.

My Lenovo didn't come with one so had to add a third party one.

Does it relate to music playing at all?

Nah I have the s8 and it comes with one.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2421 on: December 12, 2017, 09:35:25 pm »
Are you using the gear with your s8?

Offline outlaw_nas

• Kopite
« Reply #2422 on: December 13, 2017, 06:52:59 am »
No don't have one.

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #2423 on: December 13, 2017, 07:48:44 am »
Can you check what apps are running/active in the background on your S8? 

If the app/process responsible for launching the playstore can be identified, disabling it may solve your problem.
Phuk yoo

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2424 on: December 13, 2017, 08:06:46 am »
While we're on the subject of S8's, does anyone have any recommendations for a glass screen protector? I got one but it is awful. Having to press the screen so hard and doesn't always register what I'm pressing. A quick google suggests you can't adjust the screen sensitivity, and many people are having the same issue when using a glass screen protector. Doing my head in.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2425 on: December 13, 2017, 04:45:52 pm »
While we're on the subject of S8's, does anyone have any recommendations for a glass screen protector? I got one but it is awful. Having to press the screen so hard and doesn't always register what I'm pressing. A quick google suggests you can't adjust the screen sensitivity, and many people are having the same issue when using a glass screen protector. Doing my head in.

You don't need one for the S8 do you,it has a Gorilla glass 5 front and back

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ZUU3Me6CyWw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ZUU3Me6CyWw</a>

That being said did you remember to remove the plastic film before you put the screen protector on ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_dTXKhFWtE

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2426 on: December 14, 2017, 02:35:11 am »
This one

Ah, if it is going straight to a link in the play store that sounds like a forced redirect and if you are not on a page with adverts then malware does seem like a possibility.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2427 on: December 14, 2017, 06:55:47 am »
You don't need one for the S8 do you,it has a Gorilla glass 5 front and back

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ZUU3Me6CyWw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ZUU3Me6CyWw</a>

That being said did you remember to remove the plastic film before you put the screen protector on ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_dTXKhFWtE

I still managed to crack the back of mine.

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #2428 on: December 14, 2017, 09:36:46 am »
Gorilla glass will help with scratches and scuffs, but will not prevent the screen from cracking after a fall.
Phuk yoo

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #2429 on: December 14, 2017, 11:34:56 am »
The more scratch resistant glass is the more brittle it becomes

I always have a tempered glass screen protector and case on all my phones. Never once had a cracked screen

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2430 on: December 14, 2017, 01:28:49 pm »
He really had to go to town on that to smash it.I also use a screen protector and have never had a problem with screen responsiveness which make me wonder if Barney forgot to remove the film.I never go for the flagship models anymore as I have lost and broken so many,had my A3 for nearly 2yrs now and it is still ticking along nicely.

Helps that I have started to add a zipper to my overalls pocket so I no longer have to watch them fall 10m onto a hard slab.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2431 on: December 14, 2017, 01:39:32 pm »
He really had to go to town on that to smash it.I also use a screen protector and have never had a problem with screen responsiveness which make me wonder if Barney forgot to remove the film.I never go for the flagship models anymore as I have lost and broken so many,had my A3 for nearly 2yrs now and it is still ticking along nicely.

Helps that I have started to add a zipper to my overalls pocket so I no longer have to watch them fall 10m onto a hard slab.

No mate, I got the phone at the end of November. Tried to keep the film on it until the cover arrived but constant in and out of pocket made it come off.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2432 on: December 14, 2017, 01:56:20 pm »
No mate, I got the phone at the end of November. Tried to keep the film on it until the cover arrived but constant in and out of pocket made it come off.

Strange one then mate,never had a problem with mine,it has a cheap gorilla glass protector & is the cheapest Galaxy model.

For the record I knew it was a long shot but it was the only thing that I could think of that would cause the problem.

Offline wadey-LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • Round the fields of Anfield Road
« Reply #2433 on: December 15, 2017, 02:20:54 pm »
Galaxy S8 Screen Protector, i-Blason [Case Friendly] Premium Edge-to-Edge Full Coverage Tempered Glass Screen Protector for Samsung Galaxy S8 (Black) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XHPMW98/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_EO9mAbZHSSFM6

Thats the screen protector I use for my s8, works a treat.
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly

Online blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2434 on: December 15, 2017, 02:51:45 pm »
Hi guys,

I'm after an app that my brother in law can use to track his bands workload. Stuff with date/time/location etc. They tend to play a lot of weddings so it needs to be able to have notes  available for best songs/requests/names of key people etc. He is a complete non techy.

He currently uses (no laughing) Lotus Notes on an old XP and a filofax type diary.  What I'd like to get him on to is something he can enter in his phone and it will auto update onto his PC (which I've just got him).

I normally use Google Calendar for my stuff like this but wondering if theres any better software that I could build him a template to use.

Any help appreciated as usual
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2435 on: December 15, 2017, 04:50:51 pm »
Galaxy S8 Screen Protector, i-Blason [Case Friendly] Premium Edge-to-Edge Full Coverage Tempered Glass Screen Protector for Samsung Galaxy S8 (Black) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XHPMW98/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_EO9mAbZHSSFM6

Thats the screen protector I use for my s8, works a treat.

Did you notice any change to your screen sensitivity when you put it on? Might pick one of them up

Offline wadey-LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • Round the fields of Anfield Road
« Reply #2436 on: December 16, 2017, 12:49:13 am »
Did you notice any change to your screen sensitivity when you put it on? Might pick one of them up
Not as much as a different one I tried, towards the top sometimes needs a stronger touch but overall it seems fine.
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2437 on: January 22, 2018, 02:27:36 pm »
Do yourselves a favour and get Data Wing. Best game I've played in ages. It's also free with no adds.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #2438 on: January 22, 2018, 06:23:33 pm »
Is there decent app that tells me how much degradation the battery had had, i have a Samsung Galaxy J5, but feels like the battery is starting to expire, only took it off charge couple of hours ago already used 25% of the battery, & i've hardly used my phone?
#Sausages

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2439 on: February 25, 2018, 11:56:01 am »
Anyone use Mealime?  Looks like a brilliant app where you can organise meals for the week and it gives you the shopping list you need for all your meals too.

And free.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.