The Liverpool FC Forum > Former LFC Players

Fernando Torres

<< < (1519/1528) > >>

Cu Chulainn:

--- Quote from: stoa on October 26, 2021, 12:44:13 pm ---I have to say, it was great to see that he had his name sung by the Kop one more time after leaving us those years back. I think it also meant a lot for him to get that kind of closure. I was never really mad at him for leaving. The club had bigger issues back then than a striker who was having a hard time finding his form and wanting to leave. I could also see why he wanted to leave, because G&H fucked the club and it was obvious that we were going nowhere with them in charge. I never got the hatred for Torres when Javier Mascherano got a lot less directed at him for going to Barca and refusing to play for us only half a year or so earlier.

--- End quote ---
I can only speak for myself, but personally it was because of where he went, with the hatred between Liverpool and Chelsea in the Rafa/Mourinho days being very fresh in the memory. Had he gone to, say, Arsenal, City, or abroad, I'd have had no problem. All ancient history now, as you say, great he had that healing moment with the fans, and I remember him as one of my favourite ever players.

Yorkykopite:

--- Quote from: Ravishing Rick Rude on October 25, 2021, 02:19:22 am ---Benayoun also had a good partnership with Torres. They always looked dangerous.

--- End quote ---

True, but Benayoun was immediately benched if he didn't perform.

Desert Red Fox:

--- Quote from: Dench57 on October 26, 2021, 02:53:37 pm ---Broke my heart when he left, never idolised a player the way I did Torres and haven't since. Hardened me to the mercenary nature of football so that Sterling, Suarez, Coutinho didn't have the same impact. He felt so glamorous, so box-office, those flowing blonde locks tearing past defenders...can't help having a soft spot for him after all of it

--- End quote ---

yeah, it broke my heart too. Not to the point of burning down his jersey, but still... ;D

That wound took its time to heal, to be honest. Even with the arrival of the chaotic maelstrom of talent and assholishness that was Suarez and the promising signs of Brendan's first season with us. Even with the brilliance (and awful ending) of the 2013-14 season, it still hurt.

But heal it did. I don't bear him any ill will now, I understand why he did it though I'll never understand *why* he chose *that* club. Still, he was a brilliant player for us and I'll always remember his time here with joy and giddiness - the Blackburn goal, leaving Vidic in the dust... all good memories.

And if he returns yet again, after that friendly match, I hope the reception he gets is warm.

Ravishing Rick Dude:

--- Quote from: Yorkykopite on October 26, 2021, 05:36:24 pm ---True, but Benayoun was immediately benched if he didn't perform.

--- End quote ---

Even when he performed was benched  ;D

Loved Rafa but he used to frustrate the hell out of me.

bradders1011:
Sat at Anfield tonight looking like Bruce Wayne

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version