Author Topic: NBA Discussion  (Read 603795 times)

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: NBA Discussion
« Reply #4680 on: May 7, 2018, 06:27:37 pm »
It's not 100m mate it's a team game, you forgetting all the time MJ didn't make the finals? or does he get a pass?

I remember people saying LBJ not got clutch now he showing he always has, they moved it to well we talking about finals.

As i said keep moving goals post, James is overall better player than MJ.
until he gets close to the number of rings as MJ he won’t be considered the greater player (ie the GOAT), better player there’s a good argument (and for me he’s a better all round player) but greater player? Not for me, you are ultimately judged by what you do in the biggest moments and the finals between 2011 and 2016 were all do able with the team he had (bar 2015 but I do think he wins that with a healthy kyrie as they were 2-1 up when he got injured), had he been 5-1 then yeah maybe he’s the GOAT but not at 3-3 in those

although while we are at it do you Lebron deserves a pass for 2011 finals? Because that one will be held against him much more than the other 4 finals he lost (and to be fair that he got to the first one with that team was a massive achievement)

Could your name be Skipppppppppp by any chances?
no, I’m more a Stephen A man myself. Plus more people see my comments on here than they do skips on his show :)

Offline lorenzo

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4681 on: May 7, 2018, 06:37:43 pm »

This is what i dislike about this debate mate, if your going talk rings and excluded Bill Russell then this debate is a waste of time. I respect your opinon, which is shared by alot if not more thna mine is on LBJ but we can't speak rings as advantage for MJ over him when he don't even have the most rings. No one use that arguement when its Bill Russell vs MJ. Overall James body of work too this date is better than MJ i couldn't careless if he won less rings. Sam jones, Tom Heinsohn, K.C Jones, Tom Sanders, John Havilcek, Jim Loscutoff, Frank Ramsey and Robert Horry.

Man half of these names i never even heard of, which i am pretty sure most people don't know either which validates my point rings is a team game.

Also your argument about team is nonesene, MJ had all star team always and also HOF coach Phil Jackson jesus.....Lets not forget Scottie Pippen/Horace Grant/Rodman/Steve Kerr.

Bulls went 55-27 without him in 1993-94, and took the Eastern Conference champion Knicks to a Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Semifinals. Those 55 wins were only two less than the year before with Jordan, when the Bulls won the NBA championship.

If that stat alone does not tell you Jordan was not alone, you could say the same about Wade/Bosh no doubt. But how did MJ fair without Phil Jackson in the other 7 season without him? While Phil was able to go to La and win MJ went to Washington and the rest is history.

James has done it with two different teams, with different level of players and managers.
« Last Edit: May 7, 2018, 06:52:46 pm by lorenzo »

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4682 on: May 7, 2018, 07:06:09 pm »
How many teams were in the league when Russell won those rings?

As for bringing up the 93/94 bulls, surely that proves my point about Jordan’s greatness, as they couldn’t get to the conference finals without him despite being fine in the regular season??

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4683 on: May 7, 2018, 07:07:21 pm »
Van Gundy has left the Pistons.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4684 on: May 7, 2018, 07:08:57 pm »
Van Gundy has left the Pistons.
another job for Stephen A to tout Mark Jackson for!

Offline lorenzo

• Kopite
« Reply #4685 on: May 7, 2018, 07:16:26 pm »
How many teams were in the league when Russell won those rings?

As for bringing up the 93/94 bulls, surely that proves my point about Jordan’s greatness, as they couldn’t get to the conference finals without him despite being fine in the regular season??
1989? You not going to address the coach aspect or players? Not going address James doing it with worse team than bulls? and unbeaten golden state? James is going to crush MJ in regular and post season stats. We agree to disagree.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4686 on: May 8, 2018, 06:28:11 am »
Gonna say one of Casey/derozan/Lowry will be gone this summer, can’t lose 10 in a row to the same team, especially this season when you are clearly the better team (albeit they have lebron), but if they get rid of those two not sure what they’d get back in return

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4687 on: May 8, 2018, 08:00:16 am »
“Raptors are the 1st #1 seed to get swept before conference finals in 49 years”

On the plus side maybe Raptors fans here will wait until they make the conf finals before they say how great their record is, how they should’ve had 3rd All Star player etc

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4688 on: May 8, 2018, 08:13:56 am »
Gonna say one of Casey/derozan/Lowry will be gone this summer, can’t lose 10 in a row to the same team, especially this season when you are clearly the better team (albeit they have lebron), but if they get rid of those two not sure what they’d get back in return

I'm not sure getting rid of Casey would do much because there isn't loads of amazing coaches around. Lowry is the one I'd get rid of but I can't see many clubs wanting to take on that contract at his age. I said last summer I wouldn't have given him a new one, Ujiri has to pull something out of the bag now because we don't have much cap space.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4689 on: May 8, 2018, 08:16:31 am »

On the plus side maybe Raptors fans here will wait until they make the conf finals before they say how great their record is, how they should’ve had 3rd All Star player etc

Oh come on, I was joking when I said I thought you're a good poster. I don't remember saying we should've had a 3rd all-star either! In the end though this was still a largely enjoyable season, the Raps aren't an organisation that finish with that kind of regular season record every year. We're a team that has to build through the draft and second/third tier free agents every year. 
« Last Edit: May 8, 2018, 08:18:27 am by Gerry Attrick »

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4690 on: May 8, 2018, 09:15:01 am »
Oh come on, I was joking when I said I thought you're a good poster. I don't remember saying we should've had a 3rd all-star either! In the end though this was still a largely enjoyable season, the Raps aren't an organisation that finish with that kind of regular season record every year. We're a team that has to build through the draft and second/third tier free agents every year. 
It wasn’t for you brother:) it was a general rant as i kept hearing how great Raptors especially Rockets are and i give these teams credit for strong regular season but not make a contender in my head unless they prove it in the play-off’s. Rockets seem to be doing ok though now, although i think it will still be a bad season if they lose to Warriors as they were the 1st seed just like Raptors.

Cavs being 4th seed messed up many things in the East imo, Pacers match them just better and if Pacers won against Cavs, Raptors would be winning 4-2 against Pacers imo and waiting to play Celtics/76’ers. That’s the strange thing about seedings. We all remember how my Warriors kicked out Mavs when we were 8th and they were 1st seed.

I agree with you that I’d part ways with Lowry rather than DeRozan, getting rid of him would make them worse. Also i don’t know how but they should ship out Ibaka. they will probably wait to see if Lebron signs with Cavs or go to West first though before pulling trigger ;D

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4691 on: May 8, 2018, 09:29:22 am »
It wasn’t for you brother:) it was a general rant as i kept hearing how great Raptors especially Rockets are and i give these teams credit for strong regular season but not make a contender in my head unless they prove it in the play-off’s. Rockets seem to be doing ok though now, although i think it will still be a bad season if they lose to Warriors as they were the 1st seed just like Raptors.

Cavs being 4th seed messed up many things in the East imo, Pacers match them just better and if Pacers won against Cavs, Raptors would be winning 4-2 against Pacers imo and waiting to play Celtics/76’ers. That’s the strange thing about seedings. We all remember how my Warriors kicked out Mavs when we were 8th and they were 1st seed.

I agree with you that I’d part ways with Lowry rather than DeRozan, getting rid of him would make them worse. Also i don’t know how but they should ship out Ibaka. they will probably wait to see if Lebron signs with Cavs or go to West first though before pulling trigger ;D

I knew we were in trouble when we had to face the Cavs, I remember saying in here that I wanted us to play the Pacers. We don't have anybody on the wing that can even limit LBJ. Anunoby, Miles, Powell, DeRozan etc aren't great defenders at all. We're almost certain to lose Van Vleet this summer because we don't have the money to bring him back, he'll be quite a big loss. He provided loads of good plays in the regular season.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4692 on: May 8, 2018, 09:48:36 am »
another job for Stephen A to tout Mark Jackson for!
Exactly ;D
And strangely, this one wouldn’t be the worst pick in my opinion. He would do better than Van Gundy.
I think writing was on the walk on this one, he just couldn’t develope a system to use those guards well and getting Blake was not the answer they were looking for. Giving him coaching job was ok but teams need ti think twice giving the cosches all power and making them president of basketball operations as well. Doc actually became better coach this year after West became GM and made the moves.

Now watch him get the Magic job again.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4693 on: May 8, 2018, 02:00:27 pm »
Toronto need to trade DeFrozen, aka Costco Kobe, Lowry, and they need to get rid of their coach, get rid of Drake at the games, get rid of the lame '' we are the north'' until they get passed LeBron, blow it up.

Useless useless turds.

Offline BigJimFinn

• Main Stander
« Reply #4694 on: May 8, 2018, 06:22:41 pm »
Report: Spurs looking to trade Kawhi this summer

http://amicohoops.net/nba-rumors-kawhi-leonard-san-antonio-spurs-peter-vecsey-gregg-popovich-nba-injuries/

The San Antonio Spurs are “done” with star small forward Kawhi Leonard and will look to trade him this offseason, according to Hall-of-Fame basketball writer Peter Vecsey on his Patreon page.

The well-connected Vecsey cited a source who said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich didn’t even want Leonard attending practices.

“Keep him away from us,” Popovich would say, via Vecsey’s source. Apparently, Leonard’s uncle had been “poisoning (Leonard’s) mind against everyone.”

According to Vecsey, Leonard’s uncle “convinced Kawhi the Spurs’ medical staff were more concerned with the team’s best interests, not his.”

Meanwhile, an opposing Western Conference executive told Vecsey that “San Antonio’s hoary Holy Grail has lost its luster. I’m convinced Kawhi will be traded, but it’ll be to an Eastern team.”

It could be true, certainly, but Vecsey is a cnut comparable to Duncan Castles. Just look at that brief blurb item wasting almost as many words to polishing his knob with "Hall-of-Fame writer" and "well-connected" as with the actual content of the item. And then the classic finishing quote from anonymous opposing Western Conference executive, translating as "a loser who is pissed off for looking foolish in comparison season after season". That is like asking Everton staff whether Salah is going to leave Liverpool.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4695 on: May 9, 2018, 03:46:36 am »

Hey man, if we can't use titles to measure Jordan's greatness then you can't use playoff success/failure to measure Raptors' greatness. :D

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4696 on: May 9, 2018, 09:45:28 am »
Hey man, if we can't use titles to measure Jordan's greatness then you can't use playoff success/failure to measure Raptors' greatness. :D
;D so there was an argument that they could be the best team ever and i missed that? ;)

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4697 on: May 9, 2018, 09:50:03 am »
It could be true, certainly, but Vecsey is a cnut comparable to Duncan Castles. Just look at that brief blurb item wasting almost as many words to polishing his knob with "Hall-of-Fame writer" and "well-connected" as with the actual content of the item. And then the classic finishing quote from anonymous opposing Western Conference executive, translating as "a loser who is pissed off for looking foolish in comparison season after season". That is like asking Everton staff whether Salah is going to leave Liverpool.
You are right, he is a complete tool but i think this one doesn’t even have to be said. Pop is a no nonsense coach and i bet when Kawhi wws cleared out and rejected to come back, Pop made his decision. Now only problem is where would Kawhi want to play and how they can work out the pieces. Not many teams who can afford to pay him max this year. Knicks and Lakers can go after him and reports suggest Miami will too.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4698 on: May 9, 2018, 09:51:48 am »
Nice showing by my Warriors although in the end they made the Pelicans cut the deficit. All big 4 played well, looks like Kerr doesn’t even use Zaza anymore. Let’s steal 1 from Rockets and take it from there.

My guess is 4-2 for my Warriors.
« Last Edit: May 9, 2018, 11:01:19 am by elsewhere »

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4699 on: May 9, 2018, 12:13:53 pm »
The twitter thread on Chinese names for NBA players is worth googling, some belters there. Steph “The Sky F*****” Curry, Charles “Flying Pig” Barkley, Javalle  “Gaffe God” McGee, Manu “Demon Blade” Ginobili, James “Free Throw Mamba” Harden etc
Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Offline lorenzo

• Kopite
« Reply #4700 on: May 9, 2018, 04:50:19 pm »
Nice showing by my Warriors although in the end they made the Pelicans cut the deficit. All big 4 played well, looks like Kerr doesn’t even use Zaza anymore. Let’s steal 1 from Rockets and take it from there.

My guess is 4-2 for my Warriors.
Chris Paul is coming for your Warriors they don't want that smoke 8)

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4701 on: May 9, 2018, 06:44:21 pm »
Kings name Peja as their Assistant GM. It would be great to see him back, now they need Hedo Turkoglu as their head coach ;)

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4702 on: May 9, 2018, 07:01:25 pm »
My Take on Rockets-Warriors:

Rockets took the season series 2-1but play-off's are different animal. Steph looks healthy, Draymond back to being monster defensively as well as dishing assists and shooting great behind the arc recently. KD is well, he is KD, this is his stage. Because of the match up's, West and Zaza are practically unplayable in this series, so Looney, McGee and the young guns will have to show what they're made of. I think we will see both teams going small many times. Clint Cappela is x factor for them, he needs to be such a problem that the Warriors have no choice but to keep a true big man in the game at all times. I am expecting Eric Gordon to be non existent and Harden will have a few off nights. one of Klay/Steph can have off nights but we still win when 2 plays well enough. Also, Hope the refs are tight with flop calls. It’s the WCF FFS! :wave

Conclusion: Series will be mostly hype and it will be a letdown for everyone. Rockets splits first 2 home games and my Warriors take the series 4-2.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4703 on: May 9, 2018, 07:04:15 pm »
My take on Rockets-Warriors;

Golden State win. The end.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4704 on: May 9, 2018, 07:13:37 pm »
I havent bet against GSW since they became one of the greatest teams ever. This is the closest I've been to thinking they might lose though.

Ultimately, I'll say GSW in 6 but one of their wins will be pulled out of nowhere. A real, ''how did we survive that one'' kind of game.
KD hasn't shot well from 3 for a while, that will need to change.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4705 on: May 10, 2018, 01:42:54 am »
;D so there was an argument that they could be the best team ever and i missed that? ;)

Greatest basketball team in Canadian history, eh?

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4706 on: May 10, 2018, 02:47:12 am »
Chinese names for NBA players:

Boogie Cousins: "Technical Mamba" - because of his propensity to get Ts.
Kyrie: "Flat Mamba" - flat Earther
Shaq: "The Giant Shark" - end of his career, "OFat" a play on ONeal.
Michael Jordan: "Gang Boss"
Dirk: "The German Panzer Tank"
Tony Parker: "The Little French Sports Car"
Joel Embiid: "The Great One"
Tristan Thompson: "The King of Eights" - based on several historical Chinese rulers, because he got a contract of $80 mill based off 8 pts, 8 rbs.
Tim Duncan: "The Stone Buddha"
Isiah Thomas (the currently active one): "The Great 5'8" "
Demar DeRozan: "The King in the North" (based off Game of Thrones)
Kyle Anderson: "Human Peristalsis" because of his pace of play, also "Standing Around Mamba"
Giannis: "Letters, Bro" because of his last name
Robert Horry: "Mr Crucial"
Kyle Lowry: "The Little Cannon"
Mo Williams: "Mo Wont Pass"
JR Smith: "The Nerve Knife" - so inconsistent like a knife to your nerves
Charlie Villanueva: "The No-Eyebrow Knight"
Other names for Harden: "Porcelain Mamba" also "The Mayor of Jingdezhen" (a city known for porcelain) because of his propensity to flop.
Dwight Howard: "The Magic Beast", later "The Evil Baby"
Bobby Portis and Nikola Mirotic: obviously, "The Gash Brothers"
Oladipo: "Diligent Mamba" because of his improvement
Andre Iguodala: "Coffin Mamba" or "Vampire Mamba" because he's dead during the season and comes alive in the playoffs.
Clint Capella: Chinese call alley oop baskets "eating pancakes" so hence he's "The Pancake Mamba" when this happens Harden and Paul are known as the pancake makers.
Eric Gordon: "Pi Mamba" because of his round face

link
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 02:50:40 am by Dread Breath »

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4707 on: May 10, 2018, 03:08:04 am »
Others: Garnett: "The Wolf King"
Westbrook: "God Turtle" because he looks like a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle
Ray Allen: "Righteous Mans Sword"
Steven Adams: "Box Out Mamba"

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4708 on: May 10, 2018, 04:07:28 am »
Great game but there were some ridiculous non-calls in that last minute or so.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4709 on: May 10, 2018, 09:05:06 am »
FFS 76’ers, another loss in dying minutes of the game. They have to learn to close games in the olay-off’s but that will come with experience anyways. I was really expecting 76ers to take this to 7 games.

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4710 on: May 10, 2018, 09:28:07 am »
76ers were 4 ahead with something like 2 minutes to go. Couldn't execute down the stretch. Reddick had an open three to put them up 5 with a minute or so to go but bricked. He was actually really exposed this series just because of his height, found it very very hard to get a shot off from distance, a bit of a shame because he's an all-time great shooter. End of the day what really mattered was shot-making and the Celtics were better in that area. Baynes had more threes in this series than RoCo and Bellinelli combined. I'm not sure how they'll go against the King but the Celtics just too good in this series.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4711 on: May 10, 2018, 01:49:21 pm »
Interesting article about what would the NBA have been like if Lebron didn't make it to the NBA

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/05/10/nba-without-lebron-james-playoffs-championships-cavs-warriors-raptors
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4712 on: May 10, 2018, 08:28:32 pm »
Interesting article about what would the NBA have been like if Lebron didn't make it to the NBA

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/05/10/nba-without-lebron-james-playoffs-championships-cavs-warriors-raptors
more interesting what if is if magic and bird hadn’t come along as the finals, from memory the finals weren’t broadcast live so the sport would probably be worse off than the nhl is

Oh and brad Stevens didn’t get a vote from the coaches for their coach of the year, lol.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4713 on: May 10, 2018, 08:35:15 pm »
more interesting what if is if magic and bird hadn’t come along as the finals, from memory the finals weren’t broadcast live so the sport would probably be worse off than the nhl is

Oh and brad Stevens didn’t get a vote from the coaches for their coach of the year, lol.
exactly. There was only 30 seconds highlights of NBA finals in midnight news before Magic and Bird.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4714 on: May 10, 2018, 11:52:56 pm »
exactly. There was only 30 seconds highlights of NBA finals in midnight news before Magic and Bird.
I never knew that.

Amazing as it's such a lauded era of the NBA in the 80's and those finals  with the lakers/Celtics were not on tv live.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4715 on: May 11, 2018, 12:11:23 am »
I never knew that.

Amazing as it's such a lauded era of the NBA in the 80's and those finals  with the lakers/Celtics were not on tv live.
aye, the silna brothers must have gotten so much shit at that time for the deal they cut with the nba, oh how well that turned out ;D

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4716 on: May 11, 2018, 09:02:01 pm »
Raptors fire Casey as expected, looks like Budenholzer will head there. Great coach but may not be a good fit for thise players, it will be interesting to see his summer moves.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4717 on: May 11, 2018, 09:02:55 pm »
I'm sorry but firing Casey and replacing him with Budenholzer is so dumb I can't even find the words to describe it. I'd prefer Casey every day of the week and twice on sundays.

Casey made us fun to watch, yeah we'd give up a ton of points on any given night but for the most part I enjoyed watching the Raps play basketball. He wasn't dealing with the most talented roster in the east by anybody's standards, so to get the team to 59 wins is a testament to his coaching. I don't care for Budenholzer one iota, his style of play doesn't enthuse me at all and in case anyone forgot a better Hawks team also got swept by LeBron.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 09:11:22 pm by Gerry Attrick »

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4718 on: May 11, 2018, 09:11:25 pm »
Has Stephen A mentioned mark Jackson yet?

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4719 on: May 11, 2018, 09:19:41 pm »
I'm sorry but firing Casey and replacing him with Budenholzer is so dumb I can't even find the words to describe it. I'd prefer Casey every day of the week and twice on sundays.

Casey made us fun to watch, yeah we'd give up a ton of points on any given night but for the most part I enjoyed watching the Raps play basketball. He wasn't dealing with the most talented roster in the east by anybody's standards, so to get the team to 59 wins is a testament to his coaching. I don't care for Budenholzer one iota, his style of play doesn't enthuse me at all and in case anyone forgot a better Hawks team also got swept by LeBron.
Interesting stat for you:

Casey: 2-12 vs Cleveland in the playoffs

Bud: 0-8 vs Cleveland in the playoffs