Author Topic: Formula 1 2022: The return of ground effect(s)  (Read 190723 times)

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
Re: Formula 1 2022: The return of ground effect(s)
« Reply #1680 on: May 19, 2022, 11:41:43 am »
Yeah exactly. Don't think the rods were there at the second test, they were something they added during the season proper to help with the floor?

Got to wonder how much weight they've added
In theory they shouldn't have added any weight. If you think of a can of baked beans for example;

Those ribs have been added to increase stiffness, without them it would be very easy to squash the can radially. To give the same stiffness without the ribs you'd probably need to double or triple the thickness of the material.

Hopefully Mercedes have analysed where their floor is flexing/resonating and been able to add ribs to those areas. 
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #1681 on: May 19, 2022, 11:51:44 am »
Yeah exactly. Don't think the rods were there at the second test, they were something they added during the season proper to help with the floor?

Got to wonder how much weight they've added

I don’t think the weight would play a huge part, F1 cars are usually under the weight limit and weight has to be added to get them above the minimum weight. The added weight is usually added as low as possible to keep the centre of gravity low so if it on or close to the floor I wouldn’t have thought it’s a huge issue.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Online CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1682 on: May 19, 2022, 12:06:34 pm »
Poland doesn't even have a B-grade circuit let alone the Baltics. The Kielce circuit would need a lot of work to upgrade to F1 levels. It's a peculiar and quite fun track in the woods but the safety is a bit inadequate.
They were building a Finnish track that's not that far from the Russian border IIRC, I'm sure they were going for Grade 1 too.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #1683 on: May 19, 2022, 12:20:46 pm »
I don’t think the weight would play a huge part, F1 cars are usually under the weight limit and weight has to be added to get them above the minimum weight. The added weight is usually added as low as possible to keep the centre of gravity low so if it on or close to the floor I wouldn’t have thought it’s a huge issue.
A lot of teams are struggling to hit the minimum weight limit this season with some having to remove paint from the livery.

It's quite a big issue.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/f1/news-f1-teams-resort-scraping-paint-overweight-cars
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 12:22:50 pm by Funky_Gibbons »
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #1684 on: May 19, 2022, 04:43:35 pm »
They were building a Finnish track that's not that far from the Russian border IIRC, I'm sure they were going for Grade 1 too.

The Kymi Ring will host the MotoGP from this year onwards. It's not that close to the Russian border, it's in the Helsinki-Lahti forested areas in the interior. However, they've said they're not pursuing F1 because of the hosting fees. If Mika or Kimi had been in their primes it might have been a different story though. The overnight twilight in summer would make a 7 pm start and a US-friendly race time very easy.
Linudden.

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #1685 on: May 20, 2022, 08:06:16 am »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1686 on: May 20, 2022, 08:07:24 am »
Will be interesting to see who’s upgrades work best later on, McLaren think they’ve found half a second a lap.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1687 on: May 20, 2022, 10:22:25 am »
Will be interesting to see who’s upgrades work best later on, McLaren think they’ve found half a second a lap.
Well that’s huge if true
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1688 on: May 20, 2022, 10:39:25 am »
Well that’s huge if true

Yeah but even if true others wont have stood still either.

McLaren believe they have the permanent solution to their brake problems, among other upgrades.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1689 on: May 20, 2022, 10:40:30 am »
Yeah but even if true others wont have stood still either.

McLaren believe they have the permanent solution to their brake problems, among other upgrades.
Teams like McLaren and Mercedes have huge gains they can make though, the teams at the front will have made smaller gains you’d imagine
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1690 on: May 20, 2022, 10:55:41 am »
Teams like McLaren and Mercedes have huge gains they can make though, the teams at the front will have made smaller gains you’d imagine

Mercedes I can believe but McLaren? Best thing about coming back to the track McLaren initially tested well on is we all get to see I suppose

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1691 on: May 20, 2022, 11:00:24 am »
Ferrari reckon they've found a few tenths on RB, In season development, they'll all find time. Though McLaren need about a second and half if they wanna be at the front.

See how these upgrades do in 5 minutes!

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlbertFab...GClMYiwGQ&s=19
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 12:56:01 pm by naYoRHa2b »

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #1692 on: May 20, 2022, 01:18:20 pm »
Formula 1: Red Bull ask for FIA inquiry into Aston Martin design amid 'copying' claims

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/61525597

But it seems like the FIA are happy;

« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 01:22:31 pm by Funky_Gibbons »

Offline Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1693 on: May 20, 2022, 01:51:44 pm »
Red Bull complaining?

What next?

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #1694 on: May 20, 2022, 02:12:21 pm »
What are the rules around reverse engineering? Surely the answer to the charge is just "we looked at what a fast car was doing and had a go ourselves."

Ferraris looking good in FP1.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #1695 on: May 20, 2022, 02:47:36 pm »
What are the rules around reverse engineering? Surely the answer to the charge is just "we looked at what a fast car was doing and had a go ourselves."

Ferraris looking good in FP1.
Racing Point were fined and docked points last year for copying parts of the Mercedes so it's certainly frowned upon.

It seems though that Aston Martin have been able to show they've been working on this concept for sometime though and not just reversed engineered the Red Bull design.....

But I don't think this is what Red Bull are implying, they've lost some engineers to Aston Martin recently and are wondering whether design information (their IP) has been leaked.   

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #1696 on: May 20, 2022, 04:48:53 pm »
Mercedes 2 & 3 after qualifying sims.

Car looks really low to the ground but is a lot more stable with no porpoising. Let’s hope they don’t change the set-up again..

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1697 on: May 20, 2022, 04:51:06 pm »
Racing Point were fined and docked points last year for copying parts of the Mercedes so it's certainly frowned upon.

It seems though that Aston Martin have been able to show they've been working on this concept for sometime though and not just reversed engineered the Red Bull design.....

But I don't think this is what Red Bull are implying, they've lost some engineers to Aston Martin recently and are wondering whether design information (their IP) has been leaked.

Aren't Racing Point and Aston Martin the same as well, just with a name change. Perhaps signs of a pattern of behavior

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #1698 on: May 20, 2022, 04:52:52 pm »
Aren't Racing Point and Aston Martin the same as well, just with a name change. Perhaps signs of a pattern of behavior
Yes they are

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1699 on: May 20, 2022, 04:52:56 pm »
Mercedes 2 & 3 after qualifying sims.

Car looks really low to the ground but is a lot more stable with no porpoising. Let’s hope they don’t change the set-up again..
It just looks closer to the road than it has done too….(maybe my eyes deceiving me of course)
W

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1700 on: May 20, 2022, 04:54:05 pm »
It'd just be nice to have three teams fighting for wins
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #1701 on: May 20, 2022, 04:54:20 pm »
It just looks closer to the road than it has done too….(maybe my eyes deceiving me of course)
It definitely is.

Sky just put a stat up saying the Mercedes are ranked 1 & 2 for straight line speed. Both cars have new power units but that’s still some improvement.

Offline Paul_h

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1702 on: May 20, 2022, 05:06:05 pm »
Russell looks quick around here...outside bet for the race win?
Mercs look to have solved their issues with the updated bodywork

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #1703 on: May 20, 2022, 05:08:14 pm »
Having a power unit deficit doesn't matter that much in Barcelona so it's not a surprise to me that Mercedes are quite competitive. When it's Baku and Montréal that's a much bigger hill to climb. The first five races were all very engine-dependent. That being said, Ferrari will have a stronger PU tomorrow and Red Bull were sandbagging like crazy so merely beating Pérez to P4 would be a major win for Mercedes tomorrow.

I'm thinking a three-stop race could be the way to go here. All dependent on how competitive the hards are.
Linudden.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1704 on: May 20, 2022, 05:15:48 pm »
Ferrari didn’t improve much between FP1 and FP2 (and neither did Max), so I suspect that they haven’t really turned it up yet.

Still expect the same front 4 in qualifying
W

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #1705 on: May 20, 2022, 05:16:16 pm »
Russell looks quick around here...outside bet for the race win?
Mercs look to have solved their issues with the updated bodywork
They just showed his fastest lap and it looks like he lost a little time when negotiating slower cars. Car looked absolutely nailed to the floor though.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #1706 on: May 20, 2022, 05:17:24 pm »
Ferrari didn’t improve much between FP1 and FP2 (and neither did Max), so I suspect that they haven’t really turned it up yet.

Still expect the same front 4 in qualifying
Looked like Ferrari were struggling with tyres though, Leclerc had a few moments later into his run.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1707 on: May 20, 2022, 05:24:19 pm »
McLaren have gone backwards with their "upgrades"  ;D

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #1708 on: May 20, 2022, 05:38:58 pm »
Looked like Ferrari were struggling with tyres though, Leclerc had a few moments later into his run.

Apparently Leclerc ran quite old mediums (nine laps) to begin with, which is tough on heavy fuel a few laps in. S2 is where you mainly make laptime during the race and that's Ferrari's strong sector so it's not that concerning at the moment. I expect the second stint to be what decides the race, rather than the first. If Leclerc takes pole and leads Verstappen before getting undercut, he can then use the fresher tyres to stay close enough to undercut Verstappen in a switchback on the fresh hards. In the mid-range fuel load, any tyre differences start to even out.

He had 0.3 s on Verstappen in both sessions, I'd expect that to be a lot closer in qualifying trim but also because Ferrari will be more focused on setting the car up for having the race pace now.
Linudden.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #1709 on: May 21, 2022, 12:51:40 pm »
0.5s between the top 6.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1710 on: May 21, 2022, 12:53:52 pm »
Interesting… really interesting…

Long may it continue
W

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1711 on: May 21, 2022, 12:59:53 pm »

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #1712 on: May 21, 2022, 01:08:31 pm »
Apparently Leclerc was really fast on a soft long run at the end of the session. Verstappen could've definitely done the same. My guess is that Mercedes are going all-out in qualifying trim on this particular circuit. You can take turn 3 easy flat even on lower wing levels when running on low fuel and fresh tyres. They could push Sainz and Pérez down the grid but risk being eaten alive tomorrow once the tyres overheat in the S2 and S3.

Can either Russell or Hamilton get within 30 seconds of the win in a green-flag race on this particular track though? I'd guess so.
Linudden.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #1713 on: May 21, 2022, 03:22:07 pm »
Green Bull copywriter malfunction :wave
Linudden.

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #1714 on: May 21, 2022, 03:33:07 pm »
count me in with the many, many others who'd like to see a carlito win this weekend.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1715 on: May 21, 2022, 03:33:43 pm »
That looks a very good time from Russell in Q2
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #1716 on: May 21, 2022, 03:35:31 pm »
I think the others were on scrubbed tyres, but that’s still a good time from Russell.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #1717 on: May 21, 2022, 03:42:27 pm »
Magnussen is looking pacey too.

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #1718 on: May 21, 2022, 03:44:54 pm »
schumacher's gone from being on fire to being on fire.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1719 on: May 21, 2022, 03:45:00 pm »
Charles the only one to save a set of softs.