Author Topic: Crystal Palace  (Read 18629 times)

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Crystal Palace
« Reply #120 on: July 5, 2021, 11:18:33 am »
Vieira will be unfairly compared by the media to Hodgson's last couple of seasons.  That Hodgson left behind a shambles of an aging, contract-expiring squad will be overlooked.

I'd expect the Palace fans will show a lot more patience than the media.

Offline Fortneef

• Palace Fan. Punka wallah?
  • Kopite
« Reply #121 on: July 9, 2021, 10:12:57 am »
woohoo!  a transfer !

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #122 on: July 9, 2021, 10:25:31 am »
woohoo!  a transfer !

;D

Congrats!

How many more first team players you reckon they need to get signed in the next few weeks?

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: July 9, 2021, 10:30:36 am »
;D

Congrats!

How many more first team players you reckon they need to get signed in the next few weeks?
10 more should do it.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Fortneef

• Kopite
« Reply #124 on: July 9, 2021, 01:35:21 pm »
😢 We need 4 more just for a first XI

Offline zimmie'5555

• passenger on an intergalactic spaceship... sometimes wishes he was a woman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: July 28, 2021, 06:15:26 pm »

Online Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: July 28, 2021, 06:25:04 pm »
I like Andersen a lot, was impressed with him at Fulham. Palace having a good window so far. Supposedly a favorite to sign Conor Gallagher on loan from Chelsea too.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #127 on: July 28, 2021, 06:29:58 pm »
Good signing. Decent window for them so far under the circumstances. Squad still needs depth

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: July 28, 2021, 06:36:05 pm »
I like Andersen a lot, was impressed with him at Fulham. Palace having a good window so far. Supposedly a favorite to sign Conor Gallagher on loan from Chelsea too.
He could be the new Hermann Hreidarsson!  He was relegated with Palace amongst his five Premier League relegations.

I hope they do well as I like their fans and I also don't want The Owl taking some perverted glory from them being relegated after he had heroically kept them in the Premier League throughout his reign.  I still think they'll go down though - it's a tough looking league next season and they're wafer thin on numbers and already a lot of new faces to bed in.

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: July 28, 2021, 06:37:39 pm »
I'm rooting for them a little but looks like it'll be a tough season with a new inexperienced manager and half of the team quickly cobbled together from transfers and loans.

Offline davidlpool1982

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: July 28, 2021, 07:06:28 pm »
I quite like Viera, City wanted him to stay within their system so much they shuffled him to New York to be coach there, so there must be something lurking within. The fans are always loud and passionate, if a bit droning with the same song seemingly being sund for 30 mins at a go. Much rather Palace stay in the league than some others.

Offline 67CherryRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: July 28, 2021, 07:15:28 pm »
I've just taken a look at their squad - are they really as desperate for players as people make out? I know they had loads out of contract at the end of last season, but by the looks of it most of them are still there, so they must have extended.

Offline zimmie'5555

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: July 28, 2021, 09:04:05 pm »
I've just taken a look at their squad - are they really as desperate for players as people make out? I know they had loads out of contract at the end of last season, but by the looks of it most of them are still there, so they must have extended.

Think they could probably do with another 4 or 5 even after signing Andersen and Olise. The attacking options are great with everyone fit but the midfield looks a little thin and I think their only senior RB is Kelly

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #133 on: July 29, 2021, 01:08:49 pm »
I quite like Viera, City wanted him to stay within their system so much they shuffled him to New York to be coach there, so there must be something lurking within. The fans are always loud and passionate, if a bit droning with the same song seemingly being sund for 30 mins at a go. Much rather Palace stay in the league than some others.
I think, based off his coaching career so far, that there's not anything to suggest he's a talented coach or has any new ideas. Time may prove me wrong. I think the desire to keep him within the City umbrella is because he's a well-recognised name who carries a lot of prestige from his playing days. He's a name, like Lampard before him, like Kane perhaps in the future, that allows their owners to more effectively sports wash their image.

I think from looking at their current squad list, some are still training with them and listed but haven't agreed to the contract yet. They are imbalanced, that's the best that can be said - 6 senior CBs (two of whom are yet to commit to new contracts), and 3 RBs (including our own former players and treatment-heavy Nathaniel Clyne and Martin Kelly) but not a single recognised Left Back after Van Aanholt left for Turkey.

In the midfield, James McCarthy is still training with them but has no contract at present, McCarthur has one year left and is leaving, Riedewald is potentially for sale, Eze is injured and will miss most of the season and Olise, for all his talent (and I think he's a great buy) is still a teenager unproven at this level. They then have 6 forwards of varying capabilities.

So really, it's not as bad as the doom-mongering that some, myself included, indulged in early in the window. You'd say they need a couple of left backs, probably another right back given the fitness record of two of the three (doubt they'll get one though) and probably another couple of bodies in midfield. 4 or 5 should do it like Zimmie said. Again, if injuries hit this side in any notable way, to Zaha, Kouyate, Cahill etc, they'll be in massive peril.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline zimmie'5555

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: July 31, 2021, 06:26:27 pm »

Gallagher confirmed now, another good signing.

Online Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: August 1, 2021, 10:03:55 pm »
Still badly need a striker I think. Benteke, Ayew and Wickham are all varying levels of poor. Benteke has 33 goals in 146 games, Ayew has 12 in 98 and Wickham has 11 in 50. Should be all over Edouard IMO.

Cahill has left the club too.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: August 2, 2021, 02:25:27 pm »
Cahill going is big. One of their outstanding performers last season and covered up the cracks of that defence, a defence that simply could not rely on Kelly, Dann or Sakho to stay fit. Sakho is struggling to find a club coincidentally. Dann hasn't managed 20 league apps in 5 years and only 40 apps in the last 3.

That says Guehi and Andersen are nailed on really as the starting pair, you would think. They need more defensive cover, another midfielder and as Lone Star says, they pretty desperately need another striker. That's not a numbers issue in terms of bodies, it's because they are so poor there. Ayew scored 1 in 33 last season. Benteke actually got a respectable 10 in 31 (only 20 starts), which really surprised me, given 3 is the most goals he'd managed in the 4 years previous.  At 31 now and given the inconsistency and dip he's shown, it would be irresponsible for them to just hope he'll get double digits in the league again, especially as Eze who assisted him 4 times of those 10 is now injured.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: August 2, 2021, 02:32:51 pm »
Cahill going is big. One of their outstanding performers last season and covered up the cracks of that defence, a defence that simply could not rely on Kelly, Dann or Sakho to stay fit. Sakho is struggling to find a club coincidentally. Dann hasn't managed 20 league apps in 5 years and only 40 apps in the last 3.

That says Guehi and Andersen are nailed on really as the starting pair, you would think. They need more defensive cover, another midfielder and as Lone Star says, they pretty desperately need another striker. That's not a numbers issue in terms of bodies, it's because they are so poor there. Ayew scored 1 in 33 last season. Benteke actually got a respectable 10 in 31 (only 20 starts), which really surprised me, given 3 is the most goals he'd managed in the 4 years previous.  At 31 now and given the inconsistency and dip he's shown, it would be irresponsible for them to just hope he'll get double digits in the league again, especially as Eze who assisted him 4 times of those 10 is now injured.

Divock for £30m. Make it happen Patrick.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: August 2, 2021, 02:44:40 pm »
Divock for £30m. Make it happen Patrick.
I honestly think, play him in their set up with Zaha and Olise either side of him and he gets 15 league goals.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #139 on: August 2, 2021, 03:13:33 pm »
😢 We need 4 more just for a first XI

Any Derby players available?

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: August 2, 2021, 03:17:43 pm »
Sakho is struggling to find a club coincidentally.

Signed for Montpellier last week.
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #141 on: August 2, 2021, 03:19:56 pm »
They seem to be working from back to front, defence looks pretty sorted now so hopefully a nice big bid for Origi incoming once they get onto their attack
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: August 2, 2021, 03:25:28 pm »
Signed for Montpellier last week.
So he has! Googled him last week when looking at Palace's squad and he hadn't found a club at that point. His career certainly didn't go the way he'd hoped, as decent a move as Montpellier is. He's only 31, he should be still in his prime as a CB and playing for us or a top European team, had he made better choices and developed further.

They seem to be working from back to front, defence looks pretty sorted now so hopefully a nice big bid for Origi incoming once they get onto their attack
It really would suit both parties I think, in terms of clubs. Whether it would suit Origi, I'm not sure. He seems to me as a player who doesn't have the passion he once had for the game and is happy to linger on the edges of the squad, play the odd few minutes and pick up his wages nowadays. There's been no pressure for a move or even a loan from his side for the last couple of years, even though he's not had significant game time in the past two seasons.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #143 on: August 2, 2021, 03:42:20 pm »
It really would suit both parties I think, in terms of clubs. Whether it would suit Origi, I'm not sure. He seems to me as a player who doesn't have the passion he once had for the game and is happy to linger on the edges of the squad, play the odd few minutes and pick up his wages nowadays. There's been no pressure for a move or even a loan from his side for the last couple of years, even though he's not had significant game time in the past two seasons.

Tricky isn't it. I blame Pickford. He was absolutely nowhere until T-Rex arms dropped that ball on his head and the rest is history.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: November 6, 2021, 09:31:46 pm »
Vieira is doing such a great job with them, i suppose none of us saw that coming. They are in top half but could've easily been 5-6th if it wasn't for very late goals being conceded. VAR hasn't been their best friend either.

Offline Lynx the saucy mynx

• Kopite
« Reply #145 on: November 6, 2021, 10:19:23 pm »
Vieira is doing such a great job with them, i suppose none of us saw that coming. They are in top half but could've easily been 5-6th if it wasn't for very late goals being conceded. VAR hasn't been their best friend either.

I just hope he doesn’t go to Arsenal if Arteta ever gets sacked. I feel he’s on a good trajectory, and the romanticism of Arsenal will ruin it.

The links are guaranteed.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #146 on: November 6, 2021, 10:22:42 pm »
What’s weird is Viera’s previous stops wouldn’t make you think he had this in him.  My prediction for relegation seems pretty doomed at this point.  Long term I’d question whether this was more down to recruitment than a manager.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: November 7, 2021, 12:58:54 pm »
What’s weird is Viera’s previous stops wouldn’t make you think he had this in him.  My prediction for relegation seems pretty doomed at this point.  Long term I’d question whether this was more down to recruitment than a manager.
Exactly. He was out of depth in Nice and that's all in his resume before Palace job.
Brave but also dumb decision by Palace board but clearly working fine so far. Vieira always comes across well so I am happy for him. Early but as Lynx said, i can see him jumping for Arsenal job if he solidifies his position in Palace.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #148 on: May 19, 2022, 11:21:21 pm »
Is this the only Palace thread we have?

Gallagher has 0 goals or assists in his last 13 games - and created no big chances since… erm well the last post on this thread actually.

For all the hype around him, his pressing is much better than his actual on the ball play.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: May 20, 2022, 08:04:28 am »
Bullshit all the media about Viera and the fans being dickheads and invading pitches. 
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: May 20, 2022, 08:08:06 am »
I’ll never forgive them for what they done last night.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: May 20, 2022, 08:18:37 am »

Why are you bothered? Everton are insignificant. They will go down next season anyway ...

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: May 20, 2022, 08:46:48 am »

I mean. If we're going to be haunted forever by comebacks in Crystal Palace games in the last week of a season - I'm not sure last night is the one I'd lose sleep on.

Leeds aren't going to beat Brentford anyway.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: September 4, 2022, 08:44:13 pm »
The channel 4 documentary on youth football at Palace has been great.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #154 on: November 25, 2023, 10:30:06 pm »
Not a lively thread this is it?

Just watching MOTD and Eze and Doucoure both went down injured, Doucoure looks a bad one. Big blow for them in what should be a pressure-free season, could they get dragged in?

They'll get a few bob for Olise though.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: November 25, 2023, 10:32:59 pm »
Not a lively thread this is it?

Just watching MOTD and Eze and Doucoure both went down injured, Doucoure looks a bad one. Big blow for them in what should be a pressure-free season, could they get dragged in?

They'll get a few bob for Olise though.

Not a chance they get dragged in with the dirge that is below them.

They're fucking turgid as fuck though. But when you bring back Roy Hodgson, what else can you expect? They'll finish between 16th and 12th and that'll be that.

I understood getting Hodgson in last season when they sacked Vieira, but keeping him on this year is so fucking pointless. Where's the ambition?
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #156 on: November 25, 2023, 10:33:33 pm »
Not a chance they get dragged in with the dirge that is below them.

They're fucking turgid as fuck though. But when you bring back Roy Hodgson, what else can you expect? They'll finish between 16th and 12th and that'll be that.

Utopia...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #157 on: November 25, 2023, 10:44:34 pm »
Fingers were burnt with Vieira weren't they? With the entire South London catchment area they could be one of the league's most interesting sides but they're consistently dull.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #158 on: November 25, 2023, 10:52:26 pm »
What a goal though

Offline Fortneef

• Kopite
« Reply #159 on: November 26, 2023, 12:03:32 pm »
What the fuck do you expect Palace to do?

Put an ad in Thornton Heath job centre and pick the best of the dozens of world class manager cvs that come flooding in?

What you managerially-entitled lot are forgetting is juat how many bravely appointed exciting/young/exotic managers are complete disasters.