Author Topic: Decent films forgotten  (Read 25188 times)

Online bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
Re: Decent films forgotten
« Reply #160 on: December 4, 2020, 07:13:49 pm »
The Right Stuff

Great film about breaking the sound barrier and the space race.

Decided to give it a watch based off your and rafathegaffa's recommendations.

What a movie. The big brass bollocks on them.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: December 4, 2020, 11:22:33 pm »
I don't know if it's been mentioned here already, and it's probably a cult classic, but Forbidden Planet is up there with the best.  One of Leslie Nielson's best roles.

Hell, for that matter, chuck Airplane! in there.  I think it's been largely forgotten as one of the best spoof comedies.  And Top Secret for that matter.  The jokes are so dumb but it just works!
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #162 on: December 7, 2020, 12:07:29 am »
Chinatown.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #163 on: December 8, 2020, 07:57:16 am »
The Right Stuff

Great film about breaking the sound barrier and the space race.
Chuck Yeager has passed away aged 97.

Might be time for a rewatch.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #164 on: December 8, 2020, 08:22:30 am »
whistle down the wind

watched this with me dad

charming little movie

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #165 on: December 8, 2020, 09:36:29 am »
Decided to give it a watch based off your and rafathegaffa's recommendations.

What a movie. The big brass bollocks on them.

And sadly the timing of discussing this.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-55225903

Yes, he in particular had absolutely massive balls of steel.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #166 on: December 8, 2020, 09:37:15 am »
Chuck Yeager has passed away aged 97.

Might be time for a rewatch.

Just noticed your post Ray. We obviously both thought the same thing around the same time.

Yes, deffo going to dust this one off and give it a watch.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #167 on: December 8, 2020, 12:02:43 pm »
Just noticed your post Ray. We obviously both thought the same thing around the same time.

Yes, deffo going to dust this one off and give it a watch.

Do you know if the new Disney series of the same name is about the same story? I havent seen the film version you guys are talking about but will have a look, thanks.

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #168 on: December 8, 2020, 12:04:37 pm »
Do you know if the new Disney series of the same name is about the same story? I havent seen the film version you guys are talking about but will have a look, thanks.
It is, and it's nowhere near as good as the film, by all accounts.

Online Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: December 8, 2020, 12:16:00 pm »
Classic Peter Sellers double bill.

Two Way Stretch and The Wrong Arm of the Law.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: December 8, 2020, 01:35:34 pm »
It is, and it's nowhere near as good as the film, by all accounts.

Thanks mate. I think I will have a go at the series and keep a look out for the film.

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: December 8, 2020, 02:37:54 pm »
Good thread, was thinking about making a post during lockdown in the film forum about the movies i grew up watching that don't really get repeated on tv and aren't available on streaming sites.

Growing up in britain, particularly in the 90s, a lot of films i watched for the first time were through Moviedrone on BBC and Channel 4 premieres on a sunday night (stella artois/film4 sponsored stuff). Exposed me to films you wouldn't normally have watched.

I loved Miller's Crossing, and the great Oh Danny Boy scene.

Recently through the YouTube rabbithole i found myself watching clips of Spartacus and Ben Hur. Absolutely stunning productions for the 50s era.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: December 8, 2020, 03:06:18 pm »
Coma was a well made really creepy movie with Michael Douglas and many other big names
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #173 on: December 8, 2020, 03:22:22 pm »
whistle down the wind

watched this with me dad

charming little movie

Great movie.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #174 on: December 8, 2020, 03:31:36 pm »
Good thread, was thinking about making a post during lockdown in the film forum about the movies i grew up watching that don't really get repeated on tv and aren't available on streaming sites.

Growing up in britain, particularly in the 90s, a lot of films i watched for the first time were through Moviedroneon BBC and Channel 4 premieres on a sunday night (stella artois/film4 sponsored stuff). Exposed me to films you wouldn't normally have watched.

I loved Miller's Crossing, and the great Oh Danny Boy scene.

Recently through the YouTube rabbithole i found myself watching clips of Spartacus and Ben Hur. Absolutely stunning productions for the 50s era.

I think that's where I saw Electraglide in Blue (see up the thread) and Repo Man. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLGrXGEMOSo
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #175 on: December 8, 2020, 05:11:26 pm »
Coma was a well made really creepy movie with Michael Douglas and many other big names

The image of the suspended bodies is something else

Offline Nitramdorf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: December 9, 2020, 07:08:31 am »
Am just watching Zulu Dawn, it has maybe been forgotten over the years in favour of Zulu. The stars/names in it seem endless. It's on prime at the moment.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #177 on: December 11, 2020, 06:41:47 pm »
One for this list: The Mission. Striking cinematography. Story feels stuck halfway between Herzog and Mallick, or the mid-point between Aguirre, the Wrath of God and Scorsese's Silence. The last half hour is harrowing stuff . Amazing Morricone score too
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 06:56:30 pm by rafathegaffa83 »

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #178 on: December 11, 2020, 10:46:36 pm »
One for this list: The Mission. Striking cinematography. Story feels stuck halfway between Herzog and Mallick, or the mid-point between Aguirre, the Wrath of God and Scorsese's Silence. The last half hour is harrowing stuff . Amazing Morricone score too

Echoed, especially the last half hour bit...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: December 12, 2020, 12:05:27 am »
Fully agreed. Great opening scenes too - Iguacu.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: December 12, 2020, 12:09:42 am »
Just watched Inherent Vice (modern noir) 2014. Probably appeal to anyone who liked The Big Lebowski, (and who didn't) in my opinion. Too many great lines to remember, especially in my current condition - or even otherwise.

Joaquín thingy, josh Brolin, Benicio del Toro (best name in movie history), Owen Wilson
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 12:23:47 am by Dr. Beaker »
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #181 on: December 12, 2020, 01:02:03 am »
Currently watching Se7en.

I know some of you have gone down the old film sort of way from what I posted. And that fits too.

I think I meant when I posted this more not older films that have gone forgotten through time but more films that were good but just not considered (either via box office or reviews) great but are actually great to watch.

Se7en sort of fits into that for me. An actual great film. Has great reviews. But is sort of not always on any top film list or top of any ‘must watch’ chart.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #182 on: December 12, 2020, 02:29:17 am »
Fully agreed. Great opening scenes too - Iguacu.

That alone should have earned Menges his Academy Award

Echoed, especially the last half hour bit...

Spoiler
The bit where the Portuguese/Spanish soldier seems to have a few moments of guilt/indecision before burning the mission down is devastating
[close]

Online MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: December 12, 2020, 02:59:25 am »
I see Leon was mentioned on the first page. Heath Ledger’s joker has to be based on Gary Oldman’s character out of that.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #184 on: December 12, 2020, 03:29:30 am »
I'm going to raise you Subway. Though as I said earlier, I like any Luc Besson film...his approach to detail just gets me.

It's funny but there's some massive films in this thread that are hardly forgotten, just unheard of by new generations - which may mean the same thing. Films that made an impression but were also obscure: The Harder They Come, Themroc, The Tenant.
Oh, and Tremors [emoji846]

Online djahern

• aka Gail Yodeller
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: December 12, 2020, 03:31:44 am »
The Three/Four Musketeers (far better than the recent Hollywood remakes)
Empire of the Sun (don't know why this gets so little attention)
Brighton Rock (sinister and one of those films which has disappeared).
The Killing Fields (amazing and underrated film)
Excalibur (best Arthurian legend film)

The one that jumped out for me of films I’ve seen was Empire Of The Sun. A film I loved but hadn’t seen in many years - watched it tonight and it’s still fantastic, gone back into the list of my favourite films.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #186 on: December 12, 2020, 03:54:20 am »

Spoiler
The bit where the Portuguese/Spanish soldier seems to have a few moments of guilt/indecision before burning the mission down is devastating
[close]

Spoiler
Possible to argue that internal cultural conflict is the apex of the film personified...
[close]
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #187 on: December 12, 2020, 02:07:39 pm »
Devil in a Blue Dress, 1995, one of the best 'modern' Noirs i've ever seen which also has Denzel and Don Cheadle in the prime of their lives giving it everything plus Tom Sizemore for good measure.

Mark Kermode's DVD of the week this week.  ;D

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: December 12, 2020, 02:14:22 pm »
The Hot Rock, the terrific adaptation of Donald Westlake's Dortmunder books, with Redford as the lead, getting a gang together to pull an ambitious heist that attracts more trouble the further they go. It's exciting, funny and really watchable with a superb Quincy Jones soundtrack, but you never see it on TV anymore, probably because the then newly constructed World Trade Center is so prominent in some of the scenes. Also gave its name to a Sleater Kinney album.

Offline stara

• ra-boom-de-ay. RAWK's very own Dicktionary Corner.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: December 12, 2020, 03:05:54 pm »
Red Rock West popped up in mind while seeing Red Rock written above. I think I need to dust up my DVD collection and give Red Rock West  a spin.
50+1. Real FFP rules. Now.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: December 12, 2020, 04:58:16 pm »
The Last Of The Mohicans.

DDL, Epic scenery and cinematography and a fantastic score.

Oh and Madeleine Stowe. ;)

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #191 on: December 12, 2020, 07:13:28 pm »
The one that jumped out for me of films I’ve seen was Empire Of The Sun. A film I loved but hadn’t seen in many years - watched it tonight and it’s still fantastic, gone back into the list of my favourite films.

It’s an incredibly underrated film, never gets the attention it deserves.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: December 12, 2020, 09:13:25 pm »
Excalibur (best Arthurian legend film)

Glad someone shares my opinion on this!

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #193 on: December 12, 2020, 09:14:26 pm »
The Last Of The Mohicans.

DDL, Epic scenery and cinematography and a fantastic score.

Oh and Madeleine Stowe. ;)

That's so weird. I literally came in here to post about that, and especially the cinematography and score.

Offline stara

• ra-boom-de-ay. RAWK's very own Dicktionary Corner.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: December 12, 2020, 09:17:30 pm »
That's so weird. I literally came in here to post about that, and especially the cinematography and score.

The battle on hill path is one of my favourite cinematic experiences ever.
50+1. Real FFP rules. Now.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: December 12, 2020, 10:50:18 pm »
The Illusionist - came out around the same time as the better remembered The Prestige and I can see that there's more to talk about for that film and it's a little more 'showy' for want of a better word but I like the slower pace and the story of The illusionist and I find it a lot sweeter than The Prestige.

Where The Wild Things Are - it sort of came and went without a trace so I don't know if people are even aware of it and it's definitely not for everyone, not even for people who ordinarily like oddball Spike Jonze, but I connected to it in a big way, it's one of my favourite films.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Trabolgan

• Anny Roader
  • "For The Honour"
« Reply #196 on: December 13, 2020, 11:11:56 am »
The name of the film escapes me but its set in a Liverpool social club and its either a Paddys day party booked into an Orange Lodge club or vice versa, the Prods booked into a Ctholic social club? i remember James Ellis played a blind guy who beats two muggers up!! it was a hilarious film made in the late 80s?
For The Honour

Offline Nitramdorf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: December 13, 2020, 12:01:51 pm »
I havent seen it for a few years but always watch The Hill with Sean Connery when its on. Set in an army prison camp in the desert. Great film.

This is currently on iplayer if anyone fancies it. Have seen a few other mentions in this thread.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #198 on: December 13, 2020, 12:18:56 pm »
Sparticus, The Vikings, Whisky Galore!, Calamity Jane, Blues Brothers, Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, See no evil hear no evil, Silver Streak, The Warriors, Sliding Doors, Big Fish

All terrific.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #199 on: December 13, 2020, 12:20:41 pm »
The name of the film escapes me but its set in a Liverpool social club and its either a Paddys day party booked into an Orange Lodge club or vice versa, the Prods booked into a Ctholic social club? i remember James Ellis played a blind guy who beats two muggers up!! it was a hilarious film made in the late 80s?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Surrender_(film)

Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.