Author Topic: The Athletic  (Read 25078 times)

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The Athletic
« on: August 6, 2019, 11:46:05 am »
Saw this linked on Twitter by James Pearce as he's moved to write for them, thought it might be of interest to some here.

https://theathletic.co.uk/

Longform, ad-free journalism (much like The Blizzard, but daily articles in place of the quarterly magazine) on football across Europe and internationally. They also have US sports coverage if anyone follows teams over there.

They have James Pearce and Simon Hughes writing Liverpool content, Mel Reddy has done articles for them too although I'm not sure if she still will now she's with ESPN.

Michael Cox is on board for tactics pieces, and Rafa Honigstein is covering German football, along with journalists for each Premier League club, some Championship ones Scottish football and women's football.

There's a free trial until the end of August then it's subscription based, but they're offering the first year for 50% off (so 30 quid for the year) as part of the launch.

I'm impressed with the majority of what I've read so far. James Pearce has an interview with Tom Werner, Honigstein has interviewed Peter Krawietz, and there's a look at the transfer window from the perspective of the clubs themselves. Plenty more, but those are the ones I've read so far.

The one article I'm not a fan of so far is their "The Owner" piece which seems to be aiming for the Secret Footballer sort of perspective, but is written terribly. Hopefully they either find a way to improve that editorially in the future, or can it. Seems out of place given the quality of the other articles.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 08:48:07 am by royhendo »

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
Michael Cox is on board for tactics pieces, and Rafa Honigstein is covering German football, along with journalists for each Premier League club, some Championship ones Scottish football and women's football.

Was going to start a thread on this and seen you beat me to it. Cox is brilliant, and to be honest makes you realise how good some of the posters are on here when they take the time to analyse our games (they know who they are...). Might jump on board and see how it is. Also covers US sports as well.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
Almost signed up just because a S*n journalist had a full on meltdown during the big announcement.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Almost signed up just because a S*n journalist had a full on meltdown during the big announcement.
ah fat man’s tears at not being offered way more money plus equity was brilliant, as for that owner I reckon it’s darragh mcanthony (the £700k to selling for several million a few months later sounds a lot like Dwight Gayle)

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
I really wonder about the sustainability of it without ads. Adding Honigstein, in addition to the others, is a great pick-up

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan

What's this about?
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
I really wonder about the sustainability of it without ads. Adding Honigstein, in addition to the others, is a great pick-up

Imagine they will at some point, but just not the spam type adverts that you get on the Mirror for example. Clicked on an article for the Mirror earlier the website is terrible, can barely read the article because of all the pop-ups. They'll probably be a handful of sponsors over time where they're just referenced on the site.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
It’s £5 a month, that’s why there are no adverts...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
They actually post good content, too.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline iamrobk

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
I've been subscribed to the US site for over a year now so I'm excited to get all this additional coverage as well. Articles seem good so far, though most of it is clearly stuff they'd all been working on for a while now in anticipation of the site launching. I don't really read it as much as I should (thought about cancelling my subscription for a while) but I think that'll change now.

FWIW don't worry about thinking you need to sign up ASAP to get a discount - they're always running half-off (or similar) promotions here even though the site launched well over a year ago now. Actually, the best deal I've seen was this past July 4th where I got an offer for 76% off (1776, the year of the Declaration of Independence for you non-Americans... lol).

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
£2.49 a month before the end of August, but yeah, subscription fees are why there's no ads.

I've been subscribed to the US site for over a year now so I'm excited to get all this additional coverage as well. Articles seem good so far, though most of it is clearly stuff they'd all been working on for a while now in anticipation of the site launching. I don't really read it as much as I should (thought about cancelling my subscription for a while) but I think that'll change now.

FWIW don't worry about thinking you need to sign up ASAP to get a discount - they're always running half-off (or similar) promotions here even though the site launched well over a year ago now. Actually, the best deal I've seen was this past July 4th where I got an offer for 76% off (1776, the year of the Declaration of Independence for you non-Americans... lol).
Can you subscribe with the offer discounts to extend a subscription you already have, or do you have to cancel and then resubscribe?

What's this about?
https://twitter.com/vonstrenginho/status/1158318634797862914

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline iamrobk

• Legacy Fan
Can you subscribe with the offer discounts to extend a subscription you already have, or do you have to cancel and then resubscribe?
I was in the middle of a 1-year sub and wasn't able to take advantage of the 76% off offer, and believe me I tried everything I could think of lol. So while as always YMMV, I wouldn't count on being able to take advantage of new discount offers if you're in the middle of an annual sub (may be different for monthly subs...).

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
As a model, it looks like it's working in the US.  I'm not sure if it'll catch on here.

Sure, we all love to get transfer gossip from James Pearce, but that'll still be there on Twitter and I'm not sure if all of us are dying to read his longform pieces.  Might have preferred if they focused more on the analysis/colour pieces, rather than the local club guys, but I guess with the likes of Cox and Honigstein (and probably Taylor, though I hate that snide prick) they should get eyeballs that way. More analytics stuff would be nice.

I'll probably end up giving it a go at some stage as I can always look at their US content too.  Ultimately, the model of letting everyone have all content they want for nothing and expecting newspapers/new media to survive just on google ads was always unsustainable, so I can't really complain if they start looking for a subscription.

I don't see much outside football so far.  If the likes of Jonathan Liew joined up I'd pay up, if only to stop having to enter that godawful Independent website.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
Keep in mind they're also offering credits if you refer others.  Think I got $25 for getting my Dad to sign-up.

At least for US sports fans, the site is great as they tried to hire the best local journalist for each team/sport.  Much easier to then follow your favorite teams if don't live in the area anymore as most major papers now charge regardless.  So I'd end up with a NYT, WaPo, LA Times, Chicago Tribune and Minneapolis Star-Tribune subscription for triple the price if I wanted to get the same type of coverage as I get from the Athletic.

Now obviously with the UK it's a bit different as is there a large following for Rugby or Cricket?  Though maybe NBA is growing in the UK?

In the end if you want good journalism you need the journalists to get paid.  In the US you're seeing the death of most papers in mid to small market as they're bought by hedge fund/private equity/investment funds and then have all profits sucked out so those firms get paid.  If you don't support something good then eventually you'll be left with the shit leftover or worse nothing at all.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
Living in the US, my only favorite team is Liverpool FC.

Could give a shit about any US professional team or league .   :wave   :P

Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade

What about college sports? Their college football coverage this summer has been good.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I was in the middle of a 1-year sub and wasn't able to take advantage of the 76% off offer, and believe me I tried everything I could think of lol. So while as always YMMV, I wouldn't count on being able to take advantage of new discount offers if you're in the middle of an annual sub (may be different for monthly subs...).
Cheers, I thought that'd be the case. Gift subscriptions (which apparently do stack according to their FAQ page) are slightly cheaper than a full price subscription, so I'll probably go that route if it's the case in a year's time.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

I just had a look at it's £109.99pm or £3'ish2.49 if you pay upfront.
« Last Edit: August 6, 2019, 07:13:36 pm by WhereAngelsPlay »
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
How much content is posted a week? I do quite a bit of reading, so trying to gauge how much bang I’d get for my buck.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Can’t really be arsed reading about other clubs beyond Liverpool so not very tempted at the moment. Interesting model will be interesting to see how it goes.

Yours
Steve Davis

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
How much content is posted a week? I do quite a bit of reading, so trying to gauge how much bang I’d get for my buck.
Difficult to gauge right now as the football coverage only launched yesterday. There was a lot of content posted at launch, and by my count at least 10 articles on the second day today, maybe a couple more than that.

If you like US sports as well then there will be a lot more articles each day as they've been covering those sports for a while now.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
Will there be podcasts?

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
;D

Imagine being passed over the The Athletic and then your response is to completely justify their decision hahahaha
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Will there be podcasts?
they do for other sports so I’d guess there will be some

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Will there be podcasts?
There aren't currently, but their UK editor has said that football podcasts are on the way.

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
This fantastic (and very long) piece from Simon Hughes made for a great read on my commute this morning

The inside story of FSG’s love affair with Liverpool and the Boston Red Sox

https://theathletic.com/1089599/2019/08/07/the-inside-story-of-fsgs-love-affair-with-liverpool-and-the-boston-red-sox/

Offline Andy_lfc

• Kopite
Will there be podcasts?

They are working in conjunction with the TIFO podcast to start with for this season - I had never head of it but the Athletic journalists will be making guest appearances on it over the season.  Listened to their VAR in the Premier League podcast and was interesting if a little technical.

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
This fantastic (and very long) piece from Simon Hughes made for a great read on my commute this morning

https://theathletic.com/1089599/2019/08/07/the-inside-story-of-fsgs-love-affair-with-liverpool-and-the-boston-red-sox/

This was fantastic. A genuinely great piece of writing. If they continue this level then I'll keep my subscription after the free trial

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
I have really enjoyed it so far, as I have an interest in US sport as well I suspect I may keep the subscription when the free trial expires

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.

This is the first picture I've ever seen of Mike Gordon

"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Online .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Couldn't*

Sorry - pet hate of mine.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
We all know that a monthly subscription fee, even one double that of The Athletic's, is no guarantee of avoiding adverts...

Personally I'm not in a rush to pay for the pleasure of having James Pearce parrot the club's agenda at me.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
We all know that a monthly subscription fee, even one double that of The Athletic's, is no guarantee of avoiding adverts...

Personally I'm not in a rush to pay for the pleasure of having James Pearce parrot the club's agenda at me.
True, but they've been around in the US since 2016 and seem to have avoided advertising so far.

Whether the content is worth it really depends on whether you want just Liverpool content or anything football related. There isn't too much in the way of Liverpool articles and although there are some I'd say it isn't worth the monthly fee just for those (personal opinion, some may well disagree). However I've read some very good articles focused on other clubs and players, and Michael Cox's tactical pieces are great as well.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Pearce’s writing is awful, that won’t change with the subscription. But there’s a lot of other good writing on the site.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Another fascinating read-- https://theathletic.com/1122761/2019/08/10/the-long-road-to-anfield/

Okay I'll stop posting these now :D

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Wont lass in its current version. Ads pay the bills

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Rafa has joined as a columnist for them. His first column is about why he left Newcastle; not too much in the way of new information, rather understandably as presumably he's bound by NDAs or similar.

He says his future columns will be focussed on football in general.

Wont lass in its current version. Ads pay the bills
Ads pay next to nothing. If they get enough subscribers it's a far more sustainable business model. Big if, granted, but certainly a better option for sustainability than advertising is. They already have quite the number of subscribers in the US and Canada to give them some time to build an audience in the UK.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
Based on what I've seen so far, and with a yearning for long form quality football articles that aren't based around clickbait which is basically all the Echo exists as now - I'm giving it a go as a subscriber.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.