Author Topic: Trains from London - any general tips, please?  (Read 61097 times)

Offline MKB

• Martin
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Trains from London - any general tips, please?
« Reply #280 on: April 20, 2022, 09:26:20 am »
I noticed yesterday, Avanti (yet again) cancelled the last EUS-LIV before the match, the 17:03.  The next two trains were heavily delayed, so some fans will have missed nearly all of the game.

In fact, the 17:03 did run, and return as the 19:47 from Lime Street, but it ran empty without any passengers being allowed to board in BOTH directions!

Online bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #281 on: April 20, 2022, 09:31:06 am »
Avanti are an absolute scam of a TOC, enabled by the scam of a rail policy.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Levitz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #282 on: April 20, 2022, 11:32:56 am »
One of the (many) sneaky things Avanti have done is to remove all Advance tickets on mid-length routes from Liverpool.  Advance tickets to Nuneaton, Tamworth and Lichfield went a while ago, and recently all Advance fares to Stafford were pulled.

And, of course, if there are no Advance fares on a route, there won't be any of these sale fares.

They have some trains now where it's cheaper to travel from Lime Street to Euston, than it is to travel half way.

Yeah. They go onto the split ticket thing which has made things a lot more expensive.
Liverpool ist Rad!

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #283 on: April 20, 2022, 11:45:40 am »
Avanti are an absolute scam of a TOC, enabled by the scam of a rail policy.

Yep, they're a fucking joke.

Virgin weren't perfect but they were absolutely amazing compared to this joke of a company.
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Online bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #284 on: April 20, 2022, 11:47:02 am »
Virgin used to clean the trains. Avanti scraped the Virgin branding off in 2020 and left it. They're a mess.

I used to live in London and get the train up to the game every week and really trusted Virgin - missed 1 half of football (and that was Gerrard's testimonial) in 8 years. I don't trust this lot to get me to Crewe on time.

Offline MKB

• Martin
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #285 on: April 20, 2022, 01:18:35 pm »
On the 07:47 back from Lime Street to Nuneaton this morning, the Train Manager was up to the old trick of announcing on the Tannoy that anyone with an Off-Peak ticket should get off at Runcorn as their ticket wasn't valid.  I thought they'd stamped out that misinformation.  Many Off-Peak tickets are valid on that train.   For example, Liverpool-to-Nuneaton Off-Peak Return (any operator), is valid on any train apart from those departing Liverpool between 02:30 and 04:14.  To all intents, it's an anytime ticket.  I feel sorry for anyone who falls for this and unnecessarily gets off the train.

What shocks me is the number of businesses still stumping up for their employees to travel first-class on the £510 return tickets to Euston, when they can just buy them a Standard Premium upgrade and give them £20 for a take-out breakfast from Lime Street to eat on board instead: they get the same first-class seats and better food/drink without the need to wait for it to be brought round.

Online RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #286 on: April 22, 2022, 04:36:34 pm »
rail sale is on by the way - although not much use for many of our remaining games etc.
YNWA.

Online RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #287 on: April 22, 2022, 04:37:37 pm »
Virgin used to clean the trains. Avanti scraped the Virgin branding off in 2020 and left it. They're a mess.

I used to live in London and get the train up to the game every week and really trusted Virgin - missed 1 half of football (and that was Gerrard's testimonial) in 8 years. I don't trust this lot to get me to Crewe on time.

pre-covid they promised a complete refurbishment and rebranding of the trains but i think covid gave them a convenient excuse to skip all of that.
YNWA.

Offline ooter1

• Kopite
« Reply #288 on: April 22, 2022, 07:02:47 pm »
Does anyone have any advice on getting to Gatwick airport from Wembley after the cup final asap for a 2130 flight, is it doable assuming no ET?

Offline TeddyTime33

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA, Chester via Newtownards
« Reply #289 on: April 22, 2022, 07:13:21 pm »
Does anyone have any advice on getting to Gatwick airport from Wembley after the cup final asap for a 2130 flight, is it doable assuming no ET?
Gatwick express from Victoria takes about 30mins, takes 30 mins from Wembley park to Victoria on the tube, it's probably doable if you left the stadium at full time and got out quick but anything after that you're probably running it very close

Online stevienash

• Legacy Fan
  • 'White liquid in a bottle has to be milk.'"
« Reply #290 on: April 22, 2022, 07:15:22 pm »
It’s a good hour to get to Gatwick from Wembley I would of thought. So say game finishes at half 6 and you get on tube to Victoria by 7 you will be there about 8 ish. If it goes to extra time and pens don’t think you would make it

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: May 2, 2022, 08:38:05 am »

So 3 weeks to the end of the season and Avanti still haven’t released train tickets for May 22. No doubt they’re waiting for the Rail Sale to end so they can ramp up their prices.

Offline 1964allezallezallez

• Main Stander
« Reply #292 on: May 2, 2022, 12:45:54 pm »
So 3 weeks to the end of the season and Avanti still haven’t released train tickets for May 22. No doubt they’re waiting for the Rail Sale to end so they can ramp up their prices.

22 May was excluded from the sale on Euston to Liverpool and Manchester routes

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #293 on: May 2, 2022, 02:40:25 pm »

That weekend was excluded from the sale as was the week before. I don't think it's been confirmed whether they'll be engineering works or not.

Offline MKB

• Martin
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: May 4, 2022, 12:36:15 pm »
Network Rail have now confirmed timetables for 22 May, but, as have become the norm lately, Avanti have chosen not to release any inventory in the Advance fare buckets on any trains before the match, unless you want to chance the 15:19 arrival.  Going back, there are no Advance fares on the 18:47 or 19:47.

If, like me, you only want to go part way, Avanti are continuing their policy, despite the denials of their Twitter team that its actually happening, despite the evidence before their eyes, of no longer providing any Advance fares on any service on any day between Liverpool and any Trent Valley stations.

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #295 on: May 4, 2022, 02:24:28 pm »
Network Rail have now confirmed timetables for 22 May, but, as have become the norm lately, Avanti have chosen not to release any inventory in the Advance fare buckets on any trains before the match, unless you want to chance the 15:19 arrival.  Going back, there are no Advance fares on the 18:47 or 19:47.

If, like me, you only want to go part way, Avanti are continuing their policy, despite the denials of their Twitter team that its actually happening, despite the evidence before their eyes, of no longer providing any Advance fares on any service on any day between Liverpool and any Trent Valley stations.

Yep, just booked mine. They’ve done this for most of the season only occasionally getting caught out when there is a fixture change. It seems all they have done since winning the franchise from Virgin is to rebrand the carriages, remove Advance tickets for football fans and put out an advert featuring a tortoise which actually is an accurate depiction.

Offline Dan6times

• "Oh, he's not seeing me, I'll get him later... DAN!"
  • Kopite
  • Imagine not supporting Liverpool
« Reply #296 on: May 9, 2022, 03:09:13 pm »
I'll be going from Luton Airport Parkway to Wembley Saturday morning. What's the best route?
“For those of you in the cheap seats I'd like ya to clap your hands to this one; the rest of you can just rattle your jewelry!”

Online Dan The Man 28373

• Legacy Fan
  • We Always win in Rome!!
« Reply #297 on: May 9, 2022, 08:44:15 pm »
I'll be going from Luton Airport Parkway to Wembley Saturday morning. What's the best route?

Get an East Midlands train to London St Pancras, then tube across to Euston, then West Midlands train to Wembley Central Overground, about 75mins journey time.  Or take the tube from Kings Cross St Pancras, Metropolitan line, to Wembley Park tube.

Online RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: July 5, 2022, 09:23:49 pm »
anyone need a return train London Euston to Lime Street for Crystal Palace? Need a railcard - mate accidentally booked instead of a two together and can't cancel now

15 Aug 12.07pm->14.19pm
16 Aug 10.07am->14.41pm

£33

possibly may have an easyhotel reservation too, for about £38 or so i think
« Last Edit: August 8, 2022, 12:25:25 pm by RainbowFlick »
YNWA.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #299 on: July 12, 2022, 12:14:23 pm »
Everyone needs to watch out, Avanti West Coast are cancelling a load of weekend services due to staff shortages, 4 of the last 5, [including the last train] Euston-Liverpool trains were cancelled last Saturday, Sundays are just as bad, it's a complete mess.

Likely this situation will carry on well into next season, or even next year

« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 02:13:22 pm by Statto Red »
#Sausages

Online bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #300 on: July 12, 2022, 03:55:22 pm »
The National Rail app often has the Euston platform on about 10 seconds before the screens and announcements - it isn't long, but it's enough to get to the front of the queue if you're not reserved.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #301 on: July 13, 2022, 04:07:49 pm »
The National Rail app often has the Euston platform on about 10 seconds before the screens and announcements - it isn't long, but it's enough to get to the front of the queue if you're not reserved.

Or those more savvy use other stuff such as Realtime Trains & or Traksy.

Traksy is live track map shows where the trains are.

https://traksy.uk/live

#Sausages

Online bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: July 13, 2022, 04:15:01 pm »
Yeah RTT is great. Never used Traksy before, cheers.

Offline lfc79

• Kopite
« Reply #303 on: July 20, 2022, 09:50:10 pm »
anyone looked into the ticket prices for this season, it appears that Avanti might well just be standard returns £98, and looking at the west midland trains £46 return to Crewe so maybe £57

Online RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #304 on: July 22, 2022, 08:29:33 am »
anyone need a return train for Crystal Palace (Euston to Liverpool and back)? Need a railcard - mate accidentally booked instead of a two together and can't cancel now

15 Aug 12.07pm->14.19pm
16 Aug 10.07am->14.41pm

£33

still available if anyone needs
YNWA.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #305 on: July 27, 2022, 07:47:36 pm »
Given issues with constant AWC cancellations at the moment, i'm not surprised if AWC are not releasing advance tickets for Saturday or Sunday travel, when they're not sure what trains are going to be run.
#Sausages

Online Barry Banana

• because johnster was a rubbish username?...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Long live the King
« Reply #306 on: July 27, 2022, 09:27:48 pm »
anyone looked into the ticket prices for this season, it appears that Avanti might well just be standard returns £98, and looking at the west midland trains £46 return to Crewe so maybe £57

You can just get London Northwestern / West Midlands from Liverpool you know. £51 off peak, £36 Super Off Peak. Times need to fit of course but they do for Fulham away.
Long live the King

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #307 on: July 27, 2022, 09:47:38 pm »
You can just get London Northwestern / West Midlands from Liverpool you know. £51 off peak, £36 Super Off Peak. Times need to fit of course but they do for Fulham away.

Main issues is having to change at Crewe or Stafford, & it can take nearly 4 hours, when AWC takes 2 hours 15.

To get to Fulham away, using LNWR, you'd need the 07.05 from Lime Street [which calls at 07.15 Liverpool South Parkway], change at Crewe for the 08.33, arrival time at Euston 10.52, which leaves enough time to cross London to get to Craven Cottage for the 12.30 kickoff.

#Sausages

Online Barry Banana

• Legacy Fan
  • Long live the King
« Reply #308 on: July 27, 2022, 10:38:58 pm »
Main issues is having to change at Crewe or Stafford, & it can take nearly 4 hours, when AWC takes 2 hours 15.

To get to Fulham away, using LNWR, you'd need the 07.05 from Lime Street [which calls at 07.15 Liverpool South Parkway], change at Crewe for the 08.33, arrival time at Euston 10.52, which leaves enough time to cross London to get to Craven Cottage for the 12.30 kickoff.

Yeah - that’s plenty of time. And I was responding to a post suggesting you’d need to select a West Midlands fare from Crewe and then add on the Liverpool bit. You don’t. You can just book the whole thing from Liverpool for cheaper.
Long live the King

Online RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #309 on: July 28, 2022, 12:13:14 am »
Given issues with constant AWC cancellations at the moment, i'm not surprised if AWC are not releasing advance tickets for Saturday or Sunday travel, when they're not sure what trains are going to be run.

it's a convenient excuse, ever since they've taken over they've often been delayed releasing tickets for matchdays and there's even more of a scarcity of advance tickets than usual.
YNWA.

Online Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #310 on: July 28, 2022, 09:11:53 am »

I thought super off peak was arrival into London after 1pm? Can you get one for Fulham?

Also, I am sure LNW website used to have an option to view their trains only. I cannot see it now, just looks like trainline.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 09:16:08 am by Craig S »

Online Barry Banana

• Legacy Fan
  • Long live the King
« Reply #311 on: July 28, 2022, 11:38:13 am »
I thought super off peak was arrival into London after 1pm? Can you get one for Fulham?

Also, I am sure LNW website used to have an option to view their trains only. I cannot see it now, just looks like trainline.

Off peak only for Fulham. £51 or £35 with railcard. Can add unlimited tube for a couple of quid. Need to do it on main website now - doesn’t show on app any more. It’s on the first booking page of website and also on the page showing all train times. Should be fairly obvious.
Long live the King

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #312 on: July 28, 2022, 12:14:29 pm »

LNWR still have the view our trains option [certainly on desktop anyway], it appears with, our trains only, just the best fares, everything, you have to type in the stations you're going to first.

LNWR site gives you the option of an off peak day travelcard return Liverpool-Euston for £54, which i would recommend, if you're not staying overnight, given single fare on the tube is £3.20 alone.

Bare in mind 18.46 is the last train back, with a connection to the Liverpool train on a Saturday.
#Sausages

Offline MKB

• Martin
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #313 on: August 7, 2022, 01:19:12 pm »
Fuming with Avanti yesterday.  Coming down for the afternoon from the Rebellion Festival in Blackpool just for the game, no sooner had the match starred than Avanti announced that the next THREE trains back to Preston after the game were all cancelled, and this on their already reduced timetable that was supposed to deal with staff shortages.  Decided to cut our losses and leave at half-time to get the last train running.

I've spoken to several Avanti staff over the past few months and the story is always the same.  Avanti management are treating them like shit so no-one volunteers to do extra shifts.  It's going to be a nightmare getting to/from games this season.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #314 on: August 7, 2022, 01:35:27 pm »
Fuming with Avanti yesterday.  Coming down for the afternoon from the Rebellion Festival in Blackpool just for the game, no sooner had the match starred than Avanti announced that the next THREE trains back to Preston after the game were all cancelled, and this on their already reduced timetable that was supposed to deal with staff shortages.  Decided to cut our losses and leave at half-time to get the last train running.

I've spoken to several Avanti staff over the past few months and the story is always the same.  Avanti management are treating them like shit so no-one volunteers to do extra shifts.  It's going to be a nightmare getting to/from games this season.

I'd avoid Avanti West Coast like the plague at the mo, trains are being cancelled left right & centre, Friday the last train to Euston from Liverpool was 17.47, AWC is a mess, staff cant wait to leave, i believe the relations between staff & management at AWC are worst than at Goodison.
#Sausages

Online Dan The Man 28373

• Legacy Fan
  • We Always win in Rome!!
« Reply #315 on: August 8, 2022, 06:37:04 am »
This is frustrating news for me, I live in Reading, so can get the Cross Country services to Birmingham New St, then the LNW stopping services to Lime St.

But for Sunday games, either 2pm or 4:30pm, I'm reliant on going via Euston on Avanti, either on the way up or on the way back.  Can't think of any other routes that might take more time.

Any thoughts? And I've dismissed National Express & Megabus!! 

Online arhey

• Main Stander
« Reply #316 on: August 8, 2022, 10:42:02 am »
This is frustrating news for me, I live in Reading, so can get the Cross Country services to Birmingham New St, then the LNW stopping services to Lime St.

But for Sunday games, either 2pm or 4:30pm, I'm reliant on going via Euston on Avanti, either on the way up or on the way back.  Can't think of any other routes that might take more time.

Any thoughts? And I've dismissed National Express & Megabus!! 

Hi mate, I'm in Windsor and usually drive up for the games. Normally go all home games but didn't get anything in the ballot for league games 1st half of the season, will be going all cups and CL though so DM me if you want a lift for those

Online Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: August 8, 2022, 12:07:51 pm »

The 1730 was running, if that was not too late for you. Can you put in for a refund?
If you had got the 1730 on an open you could say you intended to get the 1530 and so they made you 2hrs late. That is a 100% refund for the whole return ticket.

Online RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #318 on: August 8, 2022, 12:25:37 pm »
anyone need a return train London Euston to Lime Street for Crystal Palace? Need a railcard - mate accidentally booked instead of a two together and can't cancel now

15 Aug 12.07pm->14.19pm
16 Aug 10.07am->14.41pm

£33

still there if anyone needs
YNWA.

Offline MKB

• Martin
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: August 8, 2022, 01:12:19 pm »
The 1730 was running, if that was not too late for you. Can you put in for a refund?
If you had got the 1730 on an open you could say you intended to get the 1530 and so they made you 2hrs late. That is a 100% refund for the whole return ticket.

We considered the 17:30 but (a) at 13:30, there was no guarantee Avanti wouldn't subsequently cancel that, and (b) we wouldn't be back at Rebellion until nearly 22:00, so the evening headliners would be missed.  Very painful decision to leave early.  I'm a stickler for not going till the final whistle normally.

Sadly, our bar-coded 15:30 train tickets got scanned on the 14:30 train, so they know we took the 14:30.  Although that ran late and got us in to Blackpool 45 minutes later than it should have, it was before the original arrival time, so we can't claim Delay Repay.   Going to see whether I can make a claim under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 for a full refund and day's expenses since we essentially had a wasted trip, and Avanti were negligent in not determining and announcing, before we left Blackpool on Saturday morning, that they didn't have crew to run trains later that day.  (The crew going down already knew lots of trains back were going to be cancelled, which did at least alert us to check regularly.)

I've just got over a grand out of Lufthansa via MCOL, so that experience will come in useful.  Will be doing a Letter Before Action this week once I've researched if I have a legal case.

The upside was that the 14:30 got us back in time to see full sets on Saturday night from Grade 2, Cockney Rejects and Gary Numan who were all ace, and four other less well-known bands.