Author Topic: Anfield use close season for concerts and other sports  (Read 44269 times)

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
Anfield use close season for concerts and other sports
« on: August 21, 2018, 04:09:54 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-45257725

Forgive me if this has been posted elsewhere or there is an existing thread. Feel free to move mods.

I can understand both sides of the debate and it must be a pain for local residents throughout the season. I enjoy the delights of the school holidays when travelling to work with much quieter roads etc. No doubt additional income for the club, and by proxy the local community, when concerts etc are on is a good thing, but it can`t be easy for local residents even during the season so I understand their opposition. Also, I have never been a fan of anything other than football taking place on the pitch, even during the summer, in case it causes unnecessary damage. Not sure what the answer is, or what the outcome will be.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Anfield use close season for concerts and other sports
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 05:27:48 pm »
No brainier from a business point of view

Technology as such now the pitch would be fine

If approved I suspect any anfield Road end development would be designed to make stage installation very  straightforward

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 06:26:55 pm »
Fantastic for the club, the area and the City, however I can see the local residents issues with it though. I work with someone who lives across the road from the Etihad and while she is a bit of a moaner at times, I understand why she gets pissed off when a concert is held there, with the noise and cars parking everywhere. The Old Trafford cricket ground is about 200 yds from our offices and when the Foo Fighters were there last year, after about 3 hours of sound checks from about 11am, everyone was totally fucked off with the noise.

I imagine there will be a curfew on the events, with the concerts being early starts. I went to see Guns N Roses at Maine Road in the early 90's and that was supposed to finish by 7pm, a Rock band that close to houses cannot be a nice experience if you are not into the music.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline richmiller1

• No! We will not let you go, let him go!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 06:26:58 pm »
I'd missed this completely. Interesting.

I'm slightly surprised they see there being sufficient long term demand to warrant going down this route. We aren't exactly a user friendly location for late night gigs and events.

As noted above, it could have big implications for the road end redevelopment business case.

Events of this nature were also key to the business case of Everton's new stadium. Yes, yes, stifle that laughter. Getting there 4 (ha) years ahead and capturing a few events on a long term basis that they might have been targeting could have implications for their funding model.

Having been recommended by the planning officers this is almost certain to happen. Wonder what we have lined up.

Offline richmiller1

• No! We will not let you go, let him go!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 08:16:42 pm »
Also, how could Anfield possibly host NFL? Pitch is too short surely?

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 08:33:08 pm »
Also, how could Anfield possibly host NFL? Pitch is too short surely?

An NFL pitch is 120 yards including the end zone - Anfield is 110yds. I think there is just enough space behind the goals to get the extra 5 yds needed
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline RedorRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 11:26:17 am »
Why not provide the residents within a certain area free tickets for the events which they could either use or sell back to the club at face value?

That way they could enjoy the event or at least receive some money back for their inconvenience. Selling back to the club would help avoid the tickets getting into the hands of touts.

The outlay would be far less than the revenues generated..... I mean you could also throw in some food and drink vouchers and it still wouldn’t make a dent in the profits.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 11:38:35 am »
It's not like the stadium suddenly sprung up. It's been there for over 100 years attracting huge crowds and noise to the area. I imagine the vast majority of the local residents have moved there in the last 20-30 years, after all the noise and inconvenience started happening and is no doubt partly why house prices/rents are cheaper.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 07:43:16 pm »
What's the deal with everyone getting in on hosting NFL games nowadays? Chelsea's doing it, Spuds will be doing, City are doing it... dunno about United.
I imagine the NFL has gone through the whole supporter opposition against games being overseas(like our's do) so will these games be part of the NFL season or will it be during their off-season?
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2018, 09:55:42 pm »
It's not like the stadium suddenly sprung up. It's been there for over 100 years attracting huge crowds and noise to the area. I imagine the vast majority of the local residents have moved there in the last 20-30 years, after all the noise and inconvenience started happening and is no doubt partly why house prices/rents are cheaper.

Agree you cannot complain about the match day stuff, but concerts are a different proposition, as they were never part of the equation and they are a lot louder than a match and go on a lot longer.

What's the deal with everyone getting in on hosting NFL games nowadays? Chelsea's doing it, Spuds will be doing, City are doing it... dunno about United.
I imagine the NFL has gone through the whole supporter opposition against games being overseas(like our's do) so will these games be part of the NFL season or will it be during their off-season?
Money.

They are regular season NFL games. A lot of the Franchises move around, so the loyalty isn't there like we have. Over the last 5 years, the Jacksonville Jaguars and the Oakland Raiders have appeared as the home team 9 times between them - the Jaguars were formed about 18 years ago, the Raiders have moved from Oakland to LA and back to Oakland. The LA Chargers will be appearing this year, they used to be the San Diego Chargers and the Tenessse Titans used to be the Houston Oilers.. Of the famous, established big name teams, only the Miami Dolphins and the San Francisco 49ers have appeared as the home team. The New York Giants, Jets, Washington Redskins, Dallas Cowboys, Chicago Bears, New England Patriots, Denver Broncos and Philadelphia Eagles have only ever been the away team with mainly one appearance in the 11 years of playing in London. In the States, I don't think many fans go to away games, probably due to the huge distances involved. I picked the Redskins in the early 80's, they play in the NFC East, made up of the Redskins, Dallas Cowboys, NY Giants and the Eagles.

Offline Macred

• Main Stander
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2018, 10:08:27 pm »
The planning committee meeting takes place on 28 August. If approved expect progress on the ARE as the two are connected i.e. the design for the ARE is going to be changed to assist with hosting non football events.

Prior to the main stand planning going in, Anfield had unrestricted permission to host events, it was removed at that stage i.e they only lost the right in the last 6 years. Anfield has hosted baseball, boxing, tennis and other events over the years.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline RedPat

• Legacy Fan
  • Kenny Godglish
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2018, 05:02:38 pm »
The plans have been rejected by the council.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpools-latest-plans-anfield-stadium-15081352
Great news good result for the local residents whom the club have pissed on for years.
Kenny Godglish

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2018, 05:04:40 pm »
Would have got the go ahead if it was Goodison....

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2018, 05:29:12 pm »
I noticed the announcement after the game about litter. Then walked past a load of bins completely full down Walton Breck Road.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2018, 05:55:45 pm »
The plans have been rejected by the council.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpools-latest-plans-anfield-stadium-15081352
plans for other sporting use rejected by 4-3, plans for music concerts deferred until a later date
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline GoldenGloves25

• Kopite
  • You are a reptile, Carmichael!!
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2018, 07:17:22 pm »
Great news good result for the local residents whom the club have pissed on for years.

I agree, would hate to live by the ground if you get some dickhead lad band like The Courteeners and their dickhead fans pissing in my bins. Although, like most decisions by the council to do with the club progressing and making money, I believe its its sheerly political tit-for-tat by Fat Joes cronies.

A slave to rhythm and the fickle nature of charm.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2018, 07:37:42 am »
I agree, would hate to live by the ground if you get some dickhead lad band like The Courteeners and their dickhead fans pissing in my bins. Although, like most decisions by the council to do with the club progressing and making money, I believe its its sheerly political tit-for-tat by Fat Joes cronies.

Wrong half of the city council only interested in doing Everton's bidding and personally financing their own stadium.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2018, 03:55:25 pm »
How did Everton get permission to host the Bellew fight a few years back? Was it because it was a one-off?

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2018, 04:09:14 pm »
How did Everton get permission to host the Bellew fight a few years back? Was it because it was a one-off?

He's an Everton fan so managed to get the club to host it - http://www.skysports.com/boxing/news/12183/10244414/everton-granted-licence-to-host-may-29-boxing-event-at-goodison-park. I presume it was also because it was a one off.

Offline roots99

• Main Stander
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2018, 08:20:31 pm »
Anyone noticed in the Echo articles about this the asides about the Rd End are saying the build will be £40-50m whereas before it was always £60-70m?
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in." - Bill Shankly

Offline Uncle Ronnie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: September 5, 2018, 03:27:19 pm »
Sounds like this could still happen I guess?

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/announcements/315266-liverpool-fc-anfield-residents

Liverpool FC has planned two drop-in sessions next week for local residents who live around Anfield to find out more information about the club's planning application to host concerts and major events at the stadium.

The initial planning application went to Liverpool City Council’s planning committee last week and was deferred with a request from the committee for more information regarding event management plans in response to issues raised by the local community.

The planning application was due to be reported back to the planning committee on Tuesday September 11 but, following consultation with Anfield and Everton ward councillors, the club has requested that it be put back to enable local residents to attend drop-in sessions to further understand the plans and provide their feedback.

Senior club officials will host the drop-in sessions and local residents will be sent invitations over the coming days.

Andy Hughes, chief operating officer at LFC, said: “We have been made aware of residents’ concerns regarding our application to host additional events at Anfield.

“We have therefore arranged these drop-in sessions at Anfield to provide more detail about the application, and also the ongoing work and improvements we’re making around the stadium on matchdays and in the community. We want to listen and understand any feedback and concerns.

“We will use this feedback to help improve how we continue to engage with the local community and work proactively with our partners in terms of our matchday and event operations to further improve how we minimise the impact on residents around the stadium.”

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2018, 11:52:22 am »
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpools-controversial-plans-anfield-approved-15166227

Quote from: Liverpool Echo
Liverpool's controversial plans for Anfield are APPROVED

Nick Tyrrell
3-4 minutes

Liverpool Football Club has had its controversial plans for the future of Anfield APPROVED.

The Reds have brought a difficult planning saga to an end today, winning a key victory at Liverpool Town Hall that means a key aspect of its long-term strategy for Anfield can now go ahead.

After a surprising result in front of the Planning Committee last month - when proposals to hold major sporting events that don't involve football at the ground were rejected, the club has achieved an important result today.

It means that Anfield can now play host to major music concerts for around 50,000 people at its famous ground.

But that victory did come at a price - with the Reds having to make some major changes to the proposals after strong objections were made by local residents.

People were concerned that the added events at the stadium would make their lives more difficult - and explained how they can already suffer on match days through issues such as parking, anti-social behaviour and noise.

After the music concert side of the application was deferred, Liverpool suggested that it would reduce the number of planned concerts from 10 to 6 - and crucially indicated it would be willing to accept a temporary two-year licence for the events, meaning that the permission can be reviewed.

Today at the Planning Committee, Chief Operating Officer Andy Hughes also outlined plans for a community fund for Anfield's neighbours that would be made from the cash the club will make from parking for these high-profile events.

Other measures include a commitment to employ a dedicated local resident liaison officer who will specifically deal with local people's concerns - as well as adding additional bins outside the ground during the events.

But it was not the comfortable meeting that the Reds had hoped it would be, with a combined 11 local residents and ward councillors still speaking in objection to the plans.

Many said that it was too little, too late from the Reds and said the proposals should be put on hold until the club had proven it can make life easier for its neighbours.

But despite those objections, the committee decided Liverpool had done enough to appease concerns - and granted the permission on a temporary basis.

A motion to reject the proposals from Liberal Democrat Councillor Mirna Juarez was seconded by Labour councillor Harry Doyle but rejected by the rest of the committee, who then voted to pass the plans.

It means that Liverpool now has a two-year licence to hold 50,000 seater concerts as well as boxing matches and other combat sports at the stadium from next summer.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2018, 12:12:29 pm »
Another revenue stream for the club which is good news turnover wise.

This probably accelerates progress on the Annie Road end now which is even better.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2018, 03:48:32 pm »
ANNOUNCE ANNIE ROAD

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2018, 08:10:46 pm »
Announce Bruce Springsteen!
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline LFCEmpire

• Legacy Fan
  • Icelandic Kopite
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2018, 11:43:12 pm »
Annie road ta.

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2018, 08:24:08 am »
Announce Bruce Springsteen!

This all day, Bruce must be ready for Liverpool by now.
Who would the other five shows be?
Probably McCartney, Sheeran, U2, Coldplay and Beyonce/Jay Z..... not my choices but to get fifty thousand will need serious pull.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2018, 06:26:08 pm »

Probably McCartney, Sheeran, U2, Coldplay and Beyonce/Jay Z..... not my choices but to get fifty thousand will need serious pull.

Foo Fighters got 50,000 at the Etihad and Emirates Old Trafford - Guns N Roses could fill Anfield as could Metallica.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2018, 07:05:09 pm »

Take That have sold out the Millennium Stadium as has Robbie Williams, my missus always goes with her mates, well over 70000 people. Whoever is there they'll have no issues selling out
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2018, 03:40:58 am »
Metallica are due back in the UK in May/June 2019.

Would definitely give Klopp his Heavy Metal Football.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #31 on: October 1, 2018, 07:08:59 pm »
McCartney, Springsteen, Metallica?

Nah, the first one is Take That  ;D ;D

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/announcements/319250-take-that-concert-gig-anfield-liverpool

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #32 on: October 1, 2018, 07:13:12 pm »
Barlow's a red, so it's deffo happening that.

Preferred it to have been ABBA if am honest.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #33 on: October 1, 2018, 07:27:34 pm »
Well at least he's not in UKIP
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #34 on: October 1, 2018, 08:45:57 pm »
Was hoping we might see Callum Smith at Anfield next summer and we get poxy take that.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #35 on: October 1, 2018, 08:53:43 pm »
Was hoping we might see Callum Smith at Anfield next summer and we get poxy take that.

Are they a poor tribute act?

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #36 on: October 1, 2018, 09:17:30 pm »
Barlow's a red, so it's deffo happening that.

Preferred it to have been ABBA if am honest.

Mark Owen is also a Red, I believe.

Personally, I'd love to see The Cure at Anfield, but the neighbours certainly wouldn't. They often do three hour shows and have been known to play right through the curfew. 😀
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Macred

• Main Stander
« Reply #37 on: October 4, 2018, 01:23:26 pm »
Nobody looking forward to Status Quo then?

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #38 on: October 4, 2018, 02:23:01 pm »
They’re dead
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: October 5, 2018, 08:26:41 am »

No mate, things are changing for the better.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.