Author Topic: Westworld - HBO's next thingamajig  (Read 98582 times)

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Westworld - HBO's next thingamajig
« Reply #80 on: October 4, 2016, 04:13:43 pm »
Spoiler

Some things I don't really get about it. These may be stupidest observations/queries but I will have to watch it again as I was being constantly distracted whilst watching.

Is the world they are in is actually physically real? I was under the impression before it started that they were in a virtual reality of sorts. Like a matrix sort of thing.

It's a real world with the robots existing in what they believe is real place and time

Are the newcomers just dressed up and sent to the location to start their day and do as they wish?

Yes, that's what they've paid to do.

Ed Harris says he's been there for 30 years, is his day restarted on a daily basis?

Ed Harris is a human, or from what we've seen so far he is

Are the management people and the programming team on site?

The management must be local westworld as they take the faulty robots there to see what's wrong

Is this like a Truman show sort of world where is boxed in? Surely the landscape is too vast for that to be the case.

Guessing that will be dealt with as the series continues.

Sorry if these are.idiotic questions but want to gain a grasp of this. Will have to rematch again

[close]
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: October 4, 2016, 04:22:03 pm »
Spoiler
Some things I don't really get about it. These may be stupidest observations/queries but I will have to watch it again as I was being constantly distracted whilst watching.

Is the world they are in is actually physically real? I was under the impression before it started that they were in a virtual reality of sorts. Like a matrix sort of thing.

It's a physically real place, which did make me curious what happens if a visitor falls off a cliff or something but I imagine there's safety related paperwork they have to sign.

Are the newcomers just dressed up and sent to the location to start their day and do as they wish?

That seems to be the case, I assume there's some kind of training done beforehand to ride horses and shoot guns but that's just a guess.

Ed Harris says he's been there for 30 years, is his day restarted on a daily basis?

The impression I got was that he'd been visiting for 30 years, not that he had actually been there for 30 years. It wasn't totally clear if events only last a day or not as the hosts we followed had a tendency to die on that first day, it's possible that things are supposed to run for a week or so before ending.

Is this like a Truman show sort of world where is boxed in? Surely the landscape is too vast for that to be the case.

It seems like it's a boxed in world (the limits were shown in the control room) that covers a pretty vast area, which is plausible I guess considering there are locations in America that are pretty huge and desolate. It seems the crew are somewhere nearby, the town seems quite close to the perimeter of the site so presumably it's located around there.
[close]
« Last Edit: October 4, 2016, 04:23:47 pm by Schmidt »

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #82 on: October 4, 2016, 04:35:38 pm »

Sorry if these are.idiotic questions but want to gain a grasp of this. Will have to rematch again

They are in a physical world with real androids. You see them being made.

The management people are onsite. You see them go into the world. They also have to live away from home while working their rotation for x amount of months.

The newcomers are sent in, probably by train. Then they start the story, this one was about bandits in the hills. And it's choose your own adventure from there.

Ed Harris is a mystery. It's not even clear if he's human or android. So he could have been living there as an android, but off the grid, for 30 years, retaining his memories and forgotten by the operators. He couldn't get shot, which would indicate he is actually human, per the rules they've laid down.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: October 4, 2016, 04:49:30 pm »
The original was the precursor to Jurassic Park, only with androids instead of dinos. In fact, the original is also what inspired Terminator. You could say that the original film is very underrated as far as popular culture goes in recent cinema.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: October 4, 2016, 04:56:13 pm »
Never seen GITS, but it has been on my 'to-do' list for a while now.

Spoiler
I think he is mate, I think he's stuck in the system (or a prisoner, or addicted), and is trying to somehow get to the next 'level'.
[close]
You should definitely watch GITS as soon as possible. As far as cult classics in sci-fi go, it's right up there. I'm actually amazed they haven't turned it into a live action film yet and fucked it up. If that were done right, it would be amazing, yet slightly pointless also given that it wouldn't actually benefit from being live action. The artwork is stunning.

Looks like I spoke too soon. Fuck sake!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GNm7IHLHgY
« Last Edit: October 4, 2016, 04:59:40 pm by Macphisto80 »

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #85 on: October 4, 2016, 05:01:45 pm »
The original was the precursor to Jurassic Park, only with androids instead of dinos. In fact, the original is also what inspired Terminator. You could say that the original film is very underrated as far as popular culture goes in recent cinema.

Terminator .... wow, you learn something new every day. Never heard that before and I'm a huge T1/T2 fan.

Offline SyukriJ

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • Out of darkness cometh light
« Reply #86 on: October 4, 2016, 05:06:58 pm »
They are in a physical world with real androids. You see them being made.

The management people are onsite. You see them go into the world. They also have to live away from home while working their rotation for x amount of months.

The newcomers are sent in, probably by train. Then they start the story, this one was about bandits in the hills. And it's choose your own adventure from there.

Ed Harris is a mystery. It's not even clear if he's human or android. So he could have been living there as an android, but off the grid, for 30 years, retaining his memories and forgotten by the operators. He couldn't get shot, which would indicate he is actually human, per the rules they've laid down.

The last part (gun), was that explained in the first episode or did you get that from the movie?

I watched both for the past few days so can't recall if it was explained in the first episode.
"One of the things I keep reminding players is that when you're lost in a fog you must stick together" - Bob Paisley

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: October 4, 2016, 05:34:19 pm »
The last part (gun), was that explained in the first episode or did you get that from the movie?

I watched both for the past few days so can't recall if it was explained in the first episode.

The guy with the girl tried to shoot him about three times, nothing happened to Ed Harris' character.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: October 4, 2016, 05:38:08 pm »
The guy with the girl tried to shoot him about three times, nothing happened to Ed Harris' character.
Yes, and there was a voiceover (or maybe Harris saying it?) that real people couldn't get shot. You know,m it was Harris, along with him saying to be a winner you needed losers, and James Marsden was made to lose.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: October 4, 2016, 05:39:50 pm »
Terminator .... wow, you learn something new every day. Never heard that before and I'm a huge T1/T2 fan.
I wouldn't go as far as saying that Cameron directly borrowed from the film (seeing that Terminator wasn't even his to begin with) but there's definite inspiration taken from it. In fact, Halloween - outside of Jurassic park that is - owes more to Westworld than any other film, seeing that Michael Myers was directly based on Yul Brynner's character. Even Ridley Scott might have pinched a few ideas from it.
« Last Edit: October 4, 2016, 05:41:41 pm by Macphisto80 »

Offline CrasherKid79

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: October 4, 2016, 05:52:14 pm »
I wouldn't go as far as saying that Cameron directly borrowed from the film (seeing that Terminator wasn't even his to begin with) but there's definite inspiration taken from it. In fact, Halloween - outside of Jurassic park that is - owes more to Westworld than any other film, seeing that Michael Myers was directly based on Yul Brynner's character. Even Ridley Scott might have pinched a few ideas from it.

Yul Brynner with a Shatner face .... no wonder people were terrified of Michael Myers

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: October 4, 2016, 06:20:42 pm »
I don't want to derail the thread, but the original terminator film was based on a 1960s episode of The Outer Limits, called Soldier.

Carry on. As you were.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: October 4, 2016, 06:54:45 pm »
I don't want to derail the thread, but the original terminator film was based on a 1960s episode of The Outer Limits, called Soldier.

Carry on. As you were.

Just looked it up .... your right

Offline newrosswaterford

• Kopite
« Reply #93 on: October 4, 2016, 07:25:27 pm »
Anyone cop Black Hole Sun on the piano?
Fade to black later on the Piano? I think.
« Last Edit: October 4, 2016, 07:42:03 pm by newrosswaterford »

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #94 on: October 4, 2016, 07:49:55 pm »
Spoiler

[close]

In the Film if I remember they change clothes in a changing room before entering the world like Mr Benn

Yes they show them getting changed in the original film trailer.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/EjyOfTEeNHA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/EjyOfTEeNHA</a>
« Last Edit: October 4, 2016, 07:53:07 pm by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #95 on: October 4, 2016, 08:05:09 pm »
They have also released in the weeks ahead trailer but I guess it will contain spoilers.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/vwxD_L5gIrQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/vwxD_L5gIrQ</a>

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline SyukriJ

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • Out of darkness cometh light
« Reply #96 on: October 4, 2016, 09:46:58 pm »
Yes, and there was a voiceover (or maybe Harris saying it?) that real people couldn't get shot. You know,m it was Harris, along with him saying to be a winner you needed losers, and James Marsden was made to lose.

Watched it again and you are both right... it was mentioned through the voice over as well
"One of the things I keep reminding players is that when you're lost in a fog you must stick together" - Bob Paisley

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #97 on: October 4, 2016, 09:47:44 pm »
Definitely peaked my interest.

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #98 on: October 4, 2016, 09:51:35 pm »
Thanks for the responses to questions lads. Clears it up a bit. Going to give it a watch again tonight
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline supercrab

• Boys Pen
« Reply #99 on: October 4, 2016, 09:55:11 pm »
this looks pretty good - just hope that JJ Abrams doesn't screw it up! He cannot write

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: October 4, 2016, 10:06:20 pm »
this looks pretty good - just hope that JJ Abrams doesn't screw it up! He cannot write
He isn't writing it, so...

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #101 on: October 4, 2016, 10:20:59 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/0I3EgQ394_k" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/0I3EgQ394_k</a>

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: October 5, 2016, 01:48:35 am »
Decent first show that, leaves you wanting more looking forward to next weeks.
choose Life.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: October 5, 2016, 03:34:59 am »
Delores is obviously modeled after Anthony Hopkins' long dead wife, right?

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #104 on: October 5, 2016, 03:51:56 am »

I was thinking the same or maybe daughter.

But will they be that obvious?

After all they said it had been rebuilt many times.
« Last Edit: October 5, 2016, 05:51:08 am by Trada »

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: October 5, 2016, 04:59:34 am »
Exceptional start, Ed Harris is such a fucking talent.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline The Highway Man

• Kemlynite
    • Online Exiles
« Reply #106 on: October 5, 2016, 07:57:53 am »
Anyone cop Black Hole Sun on the piano?
Fade to black later on the Piano? I think.

It's paint it black by the Rolling Stones, also been used in the numerous Vietnam war films. ;)

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: October 5, 2016, 08:25:37 am »
Thought it was riveting - more so the concept and ideas than the characters. Hopefully the humans will grow to become more interesting later. Didn't realise Birgitte Nyborg was in it, weird seeing her with a quasi-American accent.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #108 on: October 5, 2016, 08:39:07 am »
Player Piano version of Black Hole Sun is the best song Soundgarden ever wrote.

That was a really impressive opener.  It's both distinctively Crichton (Evil Corp's adventure park robots run amok) and very much a Jonathan Nolan baby, with it's meditations on consciousness and humanity (in an accessible way).

But the thing about HBO dramas is the casting is so, so good. Obviously you can't go wrong with Jeffrey Wright, but Evan Rachel Wood was superb, and the actor who played her father was incredible.  The scenes with him and Hopkins were spellbinding (good that Hopkins is playing subtle - he's at his best when he's underplaying). 
I take it that Dolores killing the fly is a sign that her robotic programming is falling apart...

I imagine that Ed Harris is a human tourist gone rogue, rather than an employee with a grudge. But I'm very interested in seeing how this plays out  (but please give Thandie Newton more stuff to do).
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline newrosswaterford

• Kopite
« Reply #109 on: October 5, 2016, 09:06:01 am »
It's paint it black by the Rolling Stones, also been used in the numerous Vietnam war films. ;)
i had to go back to check that i wrote fade to black... why. i mean i knew it was paint it black... stupid. still cool.

[Nobody cares what phone you have and that you are using the free version of Tapatalk]

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: October 5, 2016, 12:44:04 pm »
Player Piano version of Black Hole Sun is the best song Soundgarden ever wrote.

That was a really impressive opener.  It's both distinctively Crichton (Evil Corp's adventure park robots run amok) and very much a Jonathan Nolan baby, with it's meditations on consciousness and humanity (in an accessible way).

But the thing about HBO dramas is the casting is so, so good. Obviously you can't go wrong with Jeffrey Wright, but Evan Rachel Wood was superb, and the actor who played her father was incredible.  The scenes with him and Hopkins were spellbinding (good that Hopkins is playing subtle - he's at his best when he's underplaying). 
I take it that Dolores killing the fly is a sign that her robotic programming is falling apart...

I imagine that Ed Harris is a human tourist gone rogue, rather than an employee with a grudge. But I'm very interested in seeing how this plays out  (but please give Thandie Newton more stuff to do).
It seemed like it was a sign of the gesturing update. Before then, none of them gave a shit about flies. Of course the updates were rolled out to 10% of the population, and then supposedly undone. So it could turn out that Delores is the rogue, rather than the man in black.

Offline Shepnois

• Legacy Fan
  • Livin' in the Sunshine, Lovin' in the Moonlight
« Reply #111 on: October 5, 2016, 12:54:44 pm »

I dunno would you put a replica of your wife or daughter into this world to be shot/butchered/raped etc.. I know I wouldn't.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: October 5, 2016, 12:57:13 pm »
I dunno would you put a replica of your wife or daughter into this world to be shot/butchered/raped etc.. I know I wouldn't.
Because she doesn't actually die, and he can visit her.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #113 on: October 5, 2016, 04:54:32 pm »
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: October 5, 2016, 06:48:55 pm »
It seemed like it was a sign of the gesturing update. Before then, none of them gave a shit about flies. Of course the updates were rolled out to 10% of the population, and then supposedly undone. So it could turn out that Delores is the rogue, rather than the man in black.

Thought there was a specific line about the robots "not hurting a fly let alone a human" and that was a sign that was no longer true.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: October 5, 2016, 06:53:48 pm »
Thought there was a specific line about the robots "not hurting a fly let alone a human" and that was a sign that was no longer true.
Could well have been.

Offline JHova2427

• Enjoys a nice bit of halibut and is prepared to get stoned for it. 2427 times.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: October 5, 2016, 07:23:56 pm »

I believe Delores is asked if she would ever harm a living thing.  To which she replies, "No." 

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: October 5, 2016, 08:08:05 pm »
I believe Delores is asked if she would ever harm a living thing.  To which she replies, "No." 

Spoiler
Yeah this is what I figured it meant. She killed the fly, a living thing, which the fella specifically quizzed her on. Presumably all hosts are programmed not to harm a living thing. This shows that she diverging from her programming and is self aware enough to keep it a secret from the human maintenance people. Ooh intriguing!
[close]
« Last Edit: October 5, 2016, 08:09:52 pm by bobadicious »
Football is a lie

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: October 5, 2016, 09:18:04 pm »
So the hosts are programmed not to harm a living thing, but James Marsden tried to kill Ed Harris. He didn't succeed, obviously, with the bullets just bouncing off Harris. But shouldn't his programming have prevented him from shooting at him at all?

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: October 5, 2016, 09:26:05 pm »
So the hosts are programmed not to harm a living thing, but James Marsden tried to kill Ed Harris. He didn't succeed, obviously, with the bullets just bouncing off Harris. But shouldn't his programming have prevented him from shooting at him at all?

No, they did as programmed. Wouldn't be much fun for the guests if they automatically won any gun fight.

The article posted above from rotten tomatoes answers it better than me as well.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John