Author Topic: Draft Towers  (Read 320186 times)

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
Re: Draft Towers
« Reply #5440 on: March 31, 2022, 04:03:10 pm »
Honestly, I'm not sure it does work. The saddo that I am I researched each block and the balance just isn't there. Africa is tough but doable, but there aren't nearly enough players to go around in the Americas or Asia. We need around 32-48 viable picks remember. The Amercias are maybe just about doable at 32, but Asia is so far off the other 3 blocks. Europe as a whole block is also exceptionally easy - stronger than any individual nation from the last two drafts.

I don't know how to fix it though. I've tried resorting the blocks, but it always turns out unbalanced in one way or another.
I think the Americas might just work on its own. The talent pool is there, but most of you might not know the names. Africa, Asia and Oceania have to be put into one block though, and then you can split Europe into two different brackets, East and West.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 04:22:41 pm by Lastrador »

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #5441 on: March 31, 2022, 04:26:53 pm »
I think the Americas think might just work on its own. The talent pool is there, but most of you might not know the names. Africa, Asia and Oceania have to be put into one block though, and then you can split Europe into two different brackets, East and West.

Yeah, that's the issue really. I remember picking Romerito in a previous draft and no-one having a clue who he is, and he's one of the more modern ones. Names like Andrade, Nasazzi, and Schiaffino are legendary, but pretty much any pre-70s player has become a death sentence in drafting of late.

100% agree on Asia, Africa, and Oceania joining forces.

Also, agree on Europe. Not sure how to divide it up geographically though as you've got Portugal down in south western Europe, Scandinavia northern, Belgium considered as western, Poland, Czechia, Hungary, Austria and Switzerland in the centre, and the old Eastern bloc (Croatia, Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Ukraine, Yugoslavia etc).

And then there's Ireland, Wales, and Scotland of course, who as Elzar suggested are possibly strong enough on their own.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 04:29:59 pm by Betty Blue »
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #5442 on: March 31, 2022, 04:41:53 pm »
Just trying to understand your idea...

Are you proposing a simple 11 from 11 draft from the remaining nations? Where we each can only pick one nation once? i.e. Samie picks Modric in round 1, so he rules himself out from picking any more Croats. But then in round 4 Hazell can still pick Suker.

Or are you suggesting that when a nation is picked that rules them out for everyone? i.e. Eusebio goes, then all Portuguese go for every drafter.

If it's the latter then I think that's too restrictive, but the former I like a lot and I'd be 100% in for.

It's the former :wave

Simply 11 for 11 among all 203 remaining FIFA nations. Every drafter can choose from every nation unrestricted so long as the player is available and they haven't chosen a compatriot themselves beforehand. Every single drafter may select a Portuguese player for example.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 04:43:55 pm by Lewis Hamilton’s #1 fan »
Linudden.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #5443 on: March 31, 2022, 04:43:27 pm »
Yeah, that's the issue really. I remember picking Romerito in a previous draft and no-one having a clue who he is, and he's one of the more modern ones. Names like Andrade, Nasazzi, and Schiaffino are legendary, but pretty much any pre-70s player has become a death sentence in drafting of late.

100% agree on Asia, Africa, and Oceania joining forces.

Also, agree on Europe. Not sure how to divide it up geographically though as you've got Portugal down in south western Europe, Scandinavia northern, Belgium considered as western, Poland, Czechia, Hungary, Austria and Switzerland in the centre, and the old Eastern bloc (Croatia, Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Ukraine, Yugoslavia etc).

And then there's Ireland, Wales, and Scotland of course, who as Elzar suggested are possibly strong enough on their own.

You could almost draw a line down the middle (well Italy/Norway) and do one East and t'other West.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5444 on: March 31, 2022, 04:52:40 pm »
What on earth are you on about now? :duh

The whole point is Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Italy, France, Spain, Holland and England aren't included as its the 'finishing' of the 4 of Countries drafts.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #5445 on: March 31, 2022, 04:53:38 pm »
What on earth are you on about now? :duh

The whole point is Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Italy, France, Spain, Holland and England aren't included as its the 'finishing' of the 4 of Countries drafts.

Giving Lobo headaches, apparently :D

Then, west under cold war and east under cold war + Greece/Turkey/Israel makes sense for Europe in that sense.
Linudden.

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #5446 on: March 31, 2022, 04:56:54 pm »
It's the former :wave

Simply 11 for 11 among all 203 remaining FIFA nations. Every drafter can choose from every nation unrestricted so long as the player is available and they haven't chosen a compatriot themselves beforehand. Every single drafter may select a Portuguese player for example.

Not for me then. No-one wants to be drafting from Suriname in round 7.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #5447 on: March 31, 2022, 04:57:43 pm »

You misunderstood me, badly.

Every drafter CAN draft a Portuguese player ;D Et cetera. You only cup-tie a nation for yourself. Not for anyone else.
Linudden.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #5448 on: March 31, 2022, 05:00:35 pm »
You misunderstood me, badly.

Every drafter CAN draft a Portuguese player ;D Et cetera. You only cup-tie a nation for yourself. Not for anyone else.

Oh sorry. I like it in that case. We've done 11 from 11 with ALL nations before and it was really fun. Taking out those core 8 bigger nations would hopefully make it even more interesting  :thumbup

I do like the idea of completing the set with the 4 of series too, but it just doesn't feel as balanced as the last two right now.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5449 on: March 31, 2022, 05:09:27 pm »
I'm up for 11 on 11.

Bagsie East Timor.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #5450 on: March 31, 2022, 05:12:33 pm »
Linudden
Betty Blue
Samie
El Lobo (if Trump doesn't participate) :D
Hazell
AdzLFC

I'll edit and add more names throughout for each that show interest :wave Hopefully we could get 16 for the Rest of the World '11 on 11'.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 08:32:10 pm by Lewis Hamilton’s #1 fan »
Linudden.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5451 on: March 31, 2022, 05:49:21 pm »
As long as Elzars running it I’m in, not up for a Trump draft :thumbup

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5452 on: March 31, 2022, 06:10:33 pm »
What's a Trump draft?
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #5453 on: March 31, 2022, 06:12:17 pm »
Goddamn, did I accidentally sign up for a Trump draft again?

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5454 on: March 31, 2022, 06:16:05 pm »
Bagise Coffofee!

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #5455 on: March 31, 2022, 06:16:21 pm »
I think we could keep the orange clown out of the next draft so Lobo can rest easily :D
Linudden.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5456 on: March 31, 2022, 06:17:41 pm »
Bagise Coffofee!

I thought it was one where you pick which of your family members you fancy.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #5457 on: March 31, 2022, 06:21:51 pm »
I thought it was one where you pick which of your family members you fancy.

I hope you're in for the rest of the world draft Hazell? Time to get one over Nick :wave
Linudden.

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5458 on: March 31, 2022, 06:25:36 pm »
I am in. What are we doing again?

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #5459 on: March 31, 2022, 06:32:33 pm »
I am in. What are we doing again?

We're picking 11 of our all-time favourite fascist dictators from 11 different countries.

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5460 on: March 31, 2022, 06:35:08 pm »
We're picking 11 of our all-time favourite fascist dictators from 11 different countries.

Are Argentina available after being in the previous 4 from international draft? If so, I'll pick Passarella please.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5461 on: March 31, 2022, 06:35:15 pm »

Anthony Nesty. Floats like a butterfly.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 06:37:06 pm by Crosby Nick »

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #5462 on: March 31, 2022, 08:37:30 pm »
Anthony Nesty. Floats like a butterfly.

I hope the reigning champ is in on defending his title? :wave

Either way, I'm happy to let Elzar run the draft if it makes our Leicestershire spreader of happiness Lobiño feel better.
Linudden.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #5463 on: March 31, 2022, 09:39:22 pm »
I think we could keep the orange clown out of the next draft so Lobo can rest easily :D

Better to keep lobo out and the orange clown in, wouldn't it?
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5464 on: March 31, 2022, 10:20:37 pm »
Better to keep lobo out and the orange clown in, wouldn't it?

:thumbup

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #5465 on: April 18, 2022, 11:36:45 am »
I'd fancy a straight up Ingurland draft next, that really would be something ;D

Only one criteria: The player must be English.

In effect, not played more caps for another country at a senior level than what he did for England.
Linudden.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5466 on: April 18, 2022, 01:56:31 pm »
Wait for the season to end and the summer. No international tournaments for the men but we have Women's Euros.

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5467 on: April 18, 2022, 03:48:17 pm »
I'd be up for an England draft. Although like Samie says, might be best to wait until after the season now, we've got a game every 3 days until the last league game of the season and drafts are better as a distraction when we're crap.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #5468 on: April 18, 2022, 05:05:29 pm »
I'd fancy a straight up Ingurland draft next, that really would be something ;D

Only one criteria: The player must be English.

In effect, not played more caps for another country at a senior level than what he did for England.
Calm down, Nigel.  ;D

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #5469 on: April 18, 2022, 05:27:35 pm »
Calm down, Nigel.  ;D

All well in Mexico? Is the wall blocking the street yet? :D

(yeah Las is Uruguayan I know in before Lobo).

Either way, it's a good draft to get some proper mediocre shite on the pitch and have a laugh at it.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 05:29:08 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #5470 on: April 18, 2022, 05:30:22 pm »
I'd be more interested in a reverse English draft. i.e. Foreigners only Premier League draft (discounting all nations in the British Isles)

Like Hazell says though, probably best to take a small break now for the final run-in.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5471 on: April 19, 2022, 12:51:42 pm »
(yeah Las is Uruguayan I know in before Lobo).

Fucking hell you really are smitten :D I'll do you a premium snapchat if you want.

I'd be more interested in a reverse English draft. i.e. Foreigners only Premier League draft (discounting all nations in the British Isles)

Like Hazell says though, probably best to take a small break now for the final run-in.

Yeah foreign only PL would be good but we should have a break now like you say, more important things

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5472 on: May 28, 2022, 01:58:36 pm »
This thread on standby from Monday lads. Just in  case.  :D  :wave

4 of Internationals v3.0

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5473 on: May 30, 2022, 02:16:55 pm »
This thread on standby from Monday lads. Just in  case.  :D  :wave

4 of Internationals v3.0

Do it

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #5474 on: May 30, 2022, 02:18:08 pm »
On holiday next week, but happy to do something the week after.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #5475 on: May 30, 2022, 06:23:59 pm »
What is it?
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #5476 on: May 31, 2022, 10:59:46 am »
What is it?

I didn't think that far ahead.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #5477 on: May 31, 2022, 09:09:11 pm »
Jaysus.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5478 on: June 1, 2022, 01:52:04 pm »
I've an idea, it's a spin on a draft we've not done in a long time.  I call it the:

"Football Circle Draft"

All Time Draft

Example:

You make your #1 pick say it's Ronaldo your #2 pick has to be someone who played at club level with Ronaldo.  So your #2 pick is now say Zidane, #3 pick of yours has to be someone who played at club level with Zidane. It doesn't matter if he didn't play with your first pick which is Ronaldo in this case.

Here's the extra little rule though, Your 11th pick has to have played with your first pick.

2-1
3-2
4-3
5-4
6-5
7-6
8-7
9-8
10-9
11-10
11-1

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5479 on: June 1, 2022, 02:02:52 pm »
Current day footballers draft. It's been long enough, and an off season with no big tournament is the ideal time to do it.