Author Topic: DC Mega Topic, it's not the MCU  (Read 329595 times)

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
Re: DC Mega Topic, it's not the MCU
« Reply #4200 on: May 13, 2022, 10:07:52 am »
Finally got round to watching Peacemaker. Really fucking good. Super funny and good action. Found it to be better than half the MCU shows to be honest.

Cena is bloody perfect in it. He's so much better when he's playing the muscular doofus as opposed to playing something straight like Fast 9 which he's fucking awful and woefully miscast in.

Looking forward to season 2 and would be cool if they gave him a standalone movie as well.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #4201 on: June 5, 2022, 01:46:06 am »
Finally seen this new Batman movie. Shockingly poor, I was bored throughout. Nothing happened in the first hour, then there was a car chase, then the movie seemed to end, except there was almost an hour left of the runtime.

The overarching plot of there being some grand criminal conspiracy and literally all of the ranking cops and politicians being in on it was some terrible B movie awfulness. The whole premise of the movie was silly, but played not just straight, but uber-serious. Riddler went from "expose and take out the corrupt elites" to "flood the entire city and just start murdering everybody" for... some reason, I guess. The Alfred hospital scene was eye-rollingly trite - "He was a good man"... jeez.

And why doesn't Batman dance anymore?

Still, one thing I did gain from it was Robert Pattinson being the ideal choice to star in a Robert Smith biopic, should one ever be made.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4202 on: June 8, 2022, 03:13:10 pm »
Looks like a sequel to Joker is going ahead.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #4203 on: June 8, 2022, 03:23:25 pm »
Good stuff, the first one was excellent.

The whole DC 'universe' really is a clusterfuck though. Thats two Jokers on the go at the same time. Is Jared Letos one still going in Suicide Squad? That'd be three. You've then got Pattinson as Batman, you've got Affleck as Batman in the new Flash movie, you've got Keaton as Batman in the same movie. I assume none of them are the Batman in the Joker, so maybe thats another Batman (because I'm not sure you can really do more than one Joker movie without Batman) and he obviously exists in that 'universe' (well Bruce Wayne does anyway). And fuck knows who or where Superman is.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4204 on: June 8, 2022, 03:27:29 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JaV7mmc9HGw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JaV7mmc9HGw</a>

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4205 on: June 8, 2022, 03:36:08 pm »
Looks like it might be a fun popcorn flick, but I won't be paying to watch it in the cinema.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #4206 on: June 8, 2022, 03:36:58 pm »
Looks like something you'd enjoy on the big screen
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4207 on: June 14, 2022, 10:24:03 am »
I shit you not, the Joker sequel is going to be a musical with Lady Gaga as Harley Quinn.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/joker-2-lady-gaga-joaquin-phoenix-todd-phillips-in-musical-1235154135/

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4208 on: June 14, 2022, 10:33:39 am »
I shit you not, the Joker sequel is going to be a musical with Lady Gaga as Harley Quinn.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/joker-2-lady-gaga-joaquin-phoenix-todd-phillips-in-musical-1235154135/

Hahahaha sounds fucking great.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4209 on: August 2, 2022, 09:52:24 pm »
Apparently the Batgirl movie - which they’d been doing test screenings of - is so bad that they’re completely binning it. Won’t be released, in cinemas or on HBO Max.

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4210 on: August 2, 2022, 10:25:24 pm »
The test screenings had been largely positive.  The Variety article says the decision has nothing to do with the quality of the film.

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #4211 on: August 2, 2022, 10:25:48 pm »
Apparently the Batgirl movie - which they’d been doing test screenings of - is so bad that they’re completely binning it. Won’t be released, in cinemas or on HBO Max.

Yes it seems it so bad the will take a $90m lose on it. It most very bad if they do that

The Flash has been cancelled
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4212 on: August 2, 2022, 10:27:31 pm »
LOL

Now I really wish they would release it. I mean, they released Halle Berry's Catwoman and all, and other absolute shite like Ben Affleck's Daredevil. If it's worse than those, then it most be something to behold.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4213 on: August 2, 2022, 11:34:00 pm »
Michael Keaton must be absolutely livid he agreed to come back as Batman. Could end up neither of his appearances ever see the light of day.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4214 on: August 3, 2022, 03:18:00 am »
The test screenings had been largely positive.  The Variety article says the decision has nothing to do with the quality of the film.

Sounds like a financial/accounting decision after the merger last year. It’s not the only project they’ve cancelled. Writing it off now means they can use it as a tax write-down immediately. Continuing with production and releasing on a streaming platform means the costs would have to be apportioned, or written down, against revenue each year even if that revenue was poor.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline wampa1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4215 on: August 3, 2022, 08:35:28 am »
Yep. The whole 'bad test screening' thing originated from US tabloid redtop equivalents. They really need to cancel The Flash though otherwise this really isn't a good look for DC/WB.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4216 on: August 3, 2022, 08:47:25 am »

The Flash has been cancelled

Haven't seen anything on the Flash being binned, is that right? There are a lot of reasons to do it, considering Ezra Miller's behaviour...

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4217 on: August 3, 2022, 09:12:08 am »
If the test screenings were fine the film would just have been released to HBO Max, as was the original plan. The fact they're completely burying it should tell people everything they need to know about the quality of the film, especially given some of the toss Warners has actually put out in recent years. What 'insiders' tell their mates at Variety to try and salvage their reputations after this debacle is meaningless.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4218 on: August 3, 2022, 09:52:50 am »
Haven't seen anything on the Flash being binned, is that right? There are a lot of reasons to do it, considering Ezra Miller's behaviour...

Think he was talking about the tv show?

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4219 on: August 3, 2022, 09:54:24 am »
Think he was talking about the tv show?

Ahhh got you. Yeah saw that - nine seasons is a fair innings.

Offline wampa1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4220 on: August 3, 2022, 01:01:45 pm »
If the test screenings were fine the film would just have been released to HBO Max, as was the original plan. The fact they're completely burying it should tell people everything they need to know about the quality of the film, especially given some of the toss Warners has actually put out in recent years. What 'insiders' tell their mates at Variety to try and salvage their reputations after this debacle is meaningless.
The only 'insider' at the play is the 'unnamed source' who leaked the bad test screening angle to the NYP, a US tabloid who would jump at the chance to trash a female led franchise. Credible outlets are all citing the tax angle and post-takeover creative decisions. The test screenings were ages ago and nothing that negative was leaking then.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4221 on: August 3, 2022, 03:16:49 pm »
The only 'insider' at the play is the 'unnamed source' who leaked the bad test screening angle to the NYP, a US tabloid who would jump at the chance to trash a female led franchise. Credible outlets are all citing the tax angle and post-takeover creative decisions. The test screenings were ages ago and nothing that negative was leaking then.

From the Variety article you were citing:
Studio insiders insist the decision to axe “Batgirl” was not driven by the quality of the film or the commitment of the filmmakers, but by the desire for the studio’s slate of DC features to be at a blockbuster scale.

Even reading between the lines here, in the context of a $90m film with no stars that was already heavily over budget, 'not blockbuster scale' means it looks cheap, something backed up by the few stills that have been released. If it was part of a corporate rejiggle to feature films and the film is so good, why don't they they just do a few reshoots to bump it up to that level? Wouldn't that be the logical decision for a CEO apparently obsessed with saving money? Doesn't the fact they aren't suggest that it is in fact "irredeemable"?

I completely understand why people involved with the film would like to blame the guy who made the decision, but there's nothing to indicate it has anything to do with a female-led franchise. Keep stanning all you want based on nothing though, the film is dead either way.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4222 on: August 3, 2022, 03:58:02 pm »
From the Variety article you were citing:
Even reading between the lines here, in the context of a $90m film with no stars that was already heavily over budget, 'not blockbuster scale' means it looks cheap, something backed up by the few stills that have been released. If it was part of a corporate rejiggle to feature films and the film is so good, why don't they they just do a few reshoots to bump it up to that level? Wouldn't that be the logical decision for a CEO apparently obsessed with saving money? Doesn't the fact they aren't suggest that it is in fact "irredeemable"?

I completely understand why people involved with the film would like to blame the guy who made the decision, but there's nothing to indicate it has anything to do with a female-led franchise. Keep stanning all you want based on nothing though, the film is dead either way.

No. The best way to save money is to not spend another penny, write it off, and save tens of millions in tax and tens of millions you haven’t spent on further production.

Reshooting and continuing production means you can’t offset any costs against tax until it’s released, and even then costs will be apportioned, e.g. if you sign a X year streaming deal.

They also wrote off £300m shutting down cnn+ straight after the merger.

It’s a £100bn+ business.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4223 on: August 3, 2022, 05:27:01 pm »
No. The best way to save money is to not spend another penny, write it off, and save tens of millions in tax and tens of millions you haven’t spent on further production.

Reshooting and continuing production means you can’t offset any costs against tax until it’s released, and even then costs will be apportioned, e.g. if you sign a X year streaming deal.

They also wrote off £300m shutting down cnn+ straight after the merger.

It’s a £100bn+ business.
Yes, it makes sense in the context of an HBO Max production. My point is that if they thought it had any potential at all to make a profit on cinematic release that's where it would be going - tens of millions means nothing against potentially hundreds of millions in returns on a film connected to an A-list entertainment 'brand' like Batman.

Morbius for instance got terrible reviews, had a lower budget than Batgirl and a virtually unknown lead character, and it still made a healthy profit. The expectations for this were apparently significantly lower, so much so it may have impacted future plans for the franchise.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #4224 on: August 3, 2022, 11:51:19 pm »
So in the end was Morbius a box office success? I'm reading it made something like $165m total against a $70m budget, and they say roughly for a film to turn a profit it has to make twice as much as the production cost to factor in promotion and other bits.

Yet I keep reading about it bombing twice at the box office and so on. So is that just internet talk, or did Morbius really flop when all is said and done?

As for DC related news, I keep watching their animated movies and wonder where is the disconnect between that quality in story telling and the live action stuff? Easily my favourite set of characters growing up, and yet somehow they can't seem to get anything right.

Why is Lobo not made into any movie?!
« Last Edit: August 3, 2022, 11:54:22 pm by TipTopKop »

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4225 on: August 4, 2022, 07:30:15 am »
Wonder if the HBO Max stuff could be bad news for their Batman spinoff stuff - the Arkham show and the one focused on Colin Farrell’s Penguin. Shame if so.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4226 on: August 4, 2022, 08:16:18 am »
Wonder if the HBO Max stuff could be bad news for their Batman spinoff stuff - the Arkham show and the one focused on Colin Farrell’s Penguin. Shame if so.

They better not cancel Peacemaker.

Offline rk1

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4227 on: August 4, 2022, 11:57:52 am »

Agreed. Best thing theyve done

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4228 on: August 4, 2022, 04:45:03 pm »

Not likely.

A second season was ordered in February 2022, with Gunn set to write and direct all episodes. Additionally, several other The Suicide Squad spin-off series featuring characters from the film and Peacemaker are in development.

My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4229 on: October 25, 2022, 03:29:44 pm »
Is Black Adam shite then?

Offline wampa1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4230 on: October 25, 2022, 04:21:34 pm »
Pretty much. Has some interesting ideas but doesn't really explore them. The 'guys' will love it because it's The Rock punching people and things blowing up.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4231 on: October 26, 2022, 09:58:43 am »
Cavill coming back for another Superman film. Honestly, he has such a perfect look but I just found him miserable in the role. A lot of that may be the fault of Snyder, but Superman to me should be a beacon of light and instead he just came across as someone who hated being a hero. Hopefully that's something they try and correct, presumably it won't be Snyder coming back to direct.

Personally think they'd have been better off just starting from scratch with Superman - whole new cast and vision.

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4232 on: October 26, 2022, 10:05:49 am »
Cavill coming back for another Superman film. Honestly, he has such a perfect look but I just found him miserable in the role. A lot of that may be the fault of Snyder, but Superman to me should be a beacon of light and instead he just came across as someone who hated being a hero. Hopefully that's something they try and correct, presumably it won't be Snyder coming back to direct.

Personally think they'd have been better off just starting from scratch with Superman - whole new cast and vision.

I feel that's absolutely Snyder - he is all about gritty, dark films, which is fine, except Superman is always meant to be a beacon for society. A good ole boy from Kansas raised by good compassionate parents, who just wants to do the right thing, and who just so happens to have powers.

That means he is not always the right man for a job, it means he sometimes can be misguided, and it means some people have rightful reservation about him (and others have not so right reservations) but despite being super human, he is very human.

I would actually not mind a Superman film which is less about fighting and more about Clark Kent, and Superman just saving people, or just being nice to people for 90% of the time.

Offline NightDancer

• Anny Roader
  • Bleep Bloop Bleep Bloop
« Reply #4233 on: October 26, 2022, 10:20:23 am »
I feel that's absolutely Snyder - he is all about gritty, dark films, which is fine, except Superman is always meant to be a beacon for society. A good ole boy from Kansas raised by good compassionate parents, who just wants to do the right thing, and who just so happens to have powers.

That means he is not always the right man for a job, it means he sometimes can be misguided, and it means some people have rightful reservation about him (and others have not so right reservations) but despite being super human, he is very human.

I would actually not mind a Superman film which is less about fighting and more about Clark Kent, and Superman just saving people, or just being nice to people for 90% of the time.

So basically the Superman & Lois tv show but as a movie?  Actually Tyler Hoechlin is a pretty good Clark as well as a good Superman in that. Kind of takes a lot of the Christopher Reeve Clark/Superman persona and combines it with the look of the Henry Cavill Superman. 
What's your pleasure?

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4234 on: October 26, 2022, 10:26:46 am »

So basically the Superman & Lois tv show but as a movie?  Actually Tyler Hoechlin is a pretty good Clark as well as a good Superman in that. Kind of takes a lot of the Christopher Reeve Clark/Superman persona and combines it with the look of the Henry Cavill Superman.

Near enough yeah. I actually think the concept of Superman & Lois is really interesting; what is superman like as a father whilst juggling being Superman, and wanting to do his best with both sides of his life.

Superman despite being super, should be a human story. I always feel that the point of him is despite the slinging from Luthor that he is an alien who can conquer us, not to be trusted, he is just a regular good guy, and that's the thing that truly makes him super, that he is a good person and he would do good with or without powers.

Offline NightDancer

• Anny Roader
  • Bleep Bloop Bleep Bloop
« Reply #4235 on: October 26, 2022, 02:36:32 pm »
Near enough yeah. I actually think the concept of Superman & Lois is really interesting; what is superman like as a father whilst juggling being Superman, and wanting to do his best with both sides of his life.

Superman despite being super, should be a human story. I always feel that the point of him is despite the slinging from Luthor that he is an alien who can conquer us, not to be trusted, he is just a regular good guy, and that's the thing that truly makes him super, that he is a good person and he would do good with or without powers.

Pretty much why I like that show to be honest. It nails more about his personality than most on screen takes.
What's your pleasure?

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #4236 on: October 26, 2022, 04:06:58 pm »
Looks like Warner Bros have found their Kevin Feige in James Gunn and Peter Safran. They will bring DC's film, TV and Animation studios under one house called DC Studios

Gunn will handle the Creative direction while Safran will take the business and production side.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/james-gunn-to-run-dc-studios-for-warner-bros/

That will obviously be Gunn finished at Marvel now that he's boxed off Guardians (Xmas special and 3). He's got the mind and the knowledge of DC and comic book culture in general.

They have a decent Aquaman. They have a decent Harley Quinn. They have a decent look for Superman. They have a really good Wonder Woman. They can do dark and funny (Peacemaker), They can do the family friendly (Shazam).

They had a decent Flash but thats just not going to happen anymore.

Their animated content is really good (Harley Quinn is actually quite funny) and they have a good TV library (Lois and Clark, The Flash (though that is ending))

Be interesting to see what they do

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4237 on: October 26, 2022, 04:23:22 pm »
If they can somehow bring back Batfleck, I'd be so happy

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4238 on: October 26, 2022, 04:46:04 pm »
If they can somehow bring back Batfleck, I'd be so happy

He's in the next Flash movie, isn't he?

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4239 on: October 26, 2022, 05:08:20 pm »
He's in the next Flash movie, isn't he?

Along with Michael Keaton yeah. But I'm assuming for solo movies they'll stick with Pattinson