Author Topic: Bird watch  (Read 278983 times)

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Bird watch.
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2011, 06:43:56 pm »
Peregrine Falcons. simply majestic

Every now and again one of these does be out in the back garden. Because i feed the birds, it attracts the starlings, wood pigeons and doves. They'd spot them feeding and swoop down. Havent seen them catch one yet, but they'll usually hang around the garden, perched on the swings. Tried taking a picture but i only have a camera phone so the quality was crap, that and i wouldnt want to get too close to them incase i frightened them off. would just rather sit and watch them

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2011, 08:35:02 pm »
We get Red Kites over our house all the time, beautiful birds.

I'd love to see one of those mate. Brilliant.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2011, 08:47:43 pm »
Had a Firecrest in our front garden a couple of years ago, rare as fuck round here (Liverpool). Haven't seen one since.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 09:10:46 pm by John C »

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2011, 09:03:42 pm »
There use to be loads of Linnets along Otterspool prom.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2011, 09:05:06 pm »
Ta Lawnmowerman  :wave

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2011, 09:05:43 pm »

Offline Mavis Cruet

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Welsh Wool
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2011, 11:20:51 pm »

A Sparrowhawk (like above) picking off birds from my parents bird feeder in the garden regularly. I find it amusing, my mother less so ;D

Offline Kahuna{=}Berger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Innovate, not imitate.
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2011, 11:29:12 pm »

Every now and again one of these does be out in the back garden. Because i feed the birds, it attracts the starlings, wood pigeons and doves. They'd spot them feeding and swoop down. Havent seen them catch one yet, but they'll usually hang around the garden, perched on the swings. Tried taking a picture but i only have a camera phone so the quality was crap, that and i wouldnt want to get too close to them incase i frightened them off. would just rather sit and watch them

Really Lawnmowerman? You must live in the country. Beautiful creatures. Passed by an old nesting site in Wexford yesterday where there was a pair who used to breed. Not sure they're breeding there anymore though. Remember visiting the same place when I was about 11 but since heard that 'collectors' had pillaged the site for eggs. c*nts!. Was hungover to bits in the car on the way home. Funny the things you remember!

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2011, 12:07:26 am »
Are they fairly large? That could have been was I saw last week, I'd only know by its wings.

Offline God9

• Main Stander
  • It's all in the mind, you know?
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2011, 12:12:51 am »
The only Y.O.C. I was aware of as a young lad was the gang of lads who used to run round South Liverpool stabbing people!

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2011, 08:05:12 am »
Really Lawnmowerman? You must live in the country. Beautiful creatures. Passed by an old nesting site in Wexford yesterday where there was a pair who used to breed. Not sure they're breeding there anymore though. Remember visiting the same place when I was about 11 but since heard that 'collectors' had pillaged the site for eggs. c*nts!. Was hungover to bits in the car on the way home. Funny the things you remember!
Live in harmonstown, around 10 minutes walk from st annes park, also live beside an industrial estate and train tracks, the santry river passes through the area aswell so its pretty good for wildlife. people still keep pigeons round this way too. Like i say its not often but its definitly a peregrine falcon.
Are they fairly large? That could have been was I saw last week, I'd only know by its wings.
roughly the same size of a crow

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2011, 08:41:08 am »

A Sparrowhawk (like above) picking off birds from my parents bird feeder in the garden regularly. I find it amusing, my mother less so ;D

We have a sparrowhawk that pays intermittent lunch visits - seen him on a couple of occasions, once when he followed a bird under the hedge on foot. He's a messy bugger, always leaves feathers everywhere. 

Offline TheMissionary

• PositionIsSoooooooOrdinary!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's nice, that's McDermott, and that's a goal!!
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2011, 08:46:14 pm »
We have a breeding pair of red kites near here and often see them over the house.  Last summer there were suddenly 5 as the younguns fledged, back to the pair now as the younguns were sent on their way.

We have a lot of open spaces here and we get flocks of lapwings.  They are about the size of a pigeon but look black from above and white below in flight.  Up close though they are a beautiful olive green colour, sort of metallic, and they have a tuft of feathers on their heads.  I'd like to post a picture but don't know how.

It's like starlings, greedy little brown jobs they appear.  But when you get close you see they have a blueish sheen and lovely speckled backs and wings.  Still greedy bastards though, they come in the garden mob handed and frighten away the tits and finches and eat everything in sight.
TheMissionary
YNWA

Offline TheMissionary

• PositionIsSoooooooOrdinary!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's nice, that's McDermott, and that's a goal!!
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2011, 08:56:59 pm »
Further...Have you ever been on the Devil's Bridge railway in Aberystwyth?  It's a narrow gauge steam train which takes a journey up the side of the valley to Devil's Bridge.  That in itself is enough 'cause the view is stunning, but the point is that there were Kites in the valley soaring and cruising as described in the OP but as we got higher we rose above the kites.  It was brilliant seeing them from above, so we could see the colours and shapes rather than just the silhouette as you so often see from below.  Best £42 (2 big 2 small) I ever spent.   Near Aberystwyth too there is a nature reserve and they feed about 45 - 50 kites twice a day, that's stunning to see but even more so is standing below them at the valley head as they hover just 10 -15 feet above flying into the wind.  Apart from the usual (marriage, kids' birth, Kenny in full flight) it was the most fantastic day of my rather shallow life.  When the kids are up and gone we're going to do it again. 
TheMissionary
YNWA

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2011, 09:04:39 pm »
Came across one of these when i was in boston a few years back. A Red Tailed Hawk. Was strolling down a laneway when i seen it eating a squirrel or rat on the ground. Was literally 10 feet away from it and it didnt seem to be bothered. Big fucker too it was, round 2 feet. Brilliant watching it go about its business in the wild

Offline BRdispatch05

• Avian maculation. Aural Tetanus Fetishist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2011, 09:07:26 pm »
I need help identifying a North American bird! It has been bugging me ever since I heard it's call

I live in Missouri so it would have to be capable of living around here, and I didn't see the bird (it was in a large pine tree), all I got was it's song.

I don't know how to describe it other than what a power-up in a video game would sound like. It was great and I wish I had my camera
The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek. - Joseph Campbell

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2011, 09:13:19 pm »
I need help identifying a North American bird! It has been bugging me ever since I heard it's call

I live in Missouri so it would have to be capable of living around here, and I didn't see the bird (it was in a large pine tree), all I got was it's song.

I don't know how to describe it other than what a power-up in a video game would sound like. It was great and I wish I had my camera
A cardinal?  <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/NrI8t6nhlgg?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/NrI8t6nhlgg?fs=1</a>

Offline BRdispatch05

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2011, 10:09:35 pm »
A cardinal?  <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/NrI8t6nhlgg?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/NrI8t6nhlgg?fs=1</a>

Oh no, I have constant interaction with cardinals. Even caught this guy fighting himself in the mirror!

It's a love-hate scenario with cardinals and me. I love watching cardinals, but waking up to them at 5 in the morning when you have to be up at 7 is different.

randomly found this hawk picture taken about a year ago while I was looking for those cardinal pics

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2011, 12:47:10 am »
We are very fortunate where we live, an isolated set of rural and barely habitated valleys tucked below Exmoor and at a slight altitude.

Little of the land is cultivated, it's primarily sheep grazing so not much in the way of herbacides has ever been or are used, and the land still retains many Saxon field hedge boundaries and measures, pretty much unchanged for the last 1000 years or so.

The wild life, and the variety of birds, are simply stunning for such a small spot.

We have had Buzzards nesting in the trees directly opposite our house for the last 20 years, even seen them mating, and just about every other raptor other than eagles can occasionally be seen, Peregrines, Sparrow Hawks and even Hobbies. Owls are plentyful, Little Owls,  Tawnies (which are busy toowhitting and toowhooing as I type) and Barns. In the summer we even have Nightjars in the field behind our house though I've only ever heard them, not seen them. It is dark around here, real country dark....

Kingfishers regularly visit our stream to catch the Millers Thumbs and tiny Brook Trout, I've even held several in my hands over the years as they sometimes fly into our downstairs windows and stun themselves, unfortunately sometimes fatally (Haven't had one do that for a while but I send the dead ones off to a department at Exeter University).

We also have a gang of long tailed tits each day on the feeders, and just about every other member of the Tit  and Finch families, as well as flocks of Fieldfares over winter. We've had a ringed Ouzel in the garden for a day early last year, a Sandpiper probing the mud around the edges of the pond about 10 years ago, a little Egret in the trees for a day, and even a lonely Stork flying over for a week or so, well off course. We also have elusive Water Rails around the pond as well as the usual Moorhens and Mallards, though since it's silted up, not quite as many as we used to. For about 10 years after we first moved here, we used to have a pair of Canada geese turn up (the same pair each year) that nested on the island in the pond and became quite tame with us. It was quite touching, on the day before they would leave with their young, they would without fail always come up from the pond and all troop around the house, almost as if to let us know, before going into the field to take off. We called the male one Gary, he was very big, but he was great with our kids when they were small, no aggression at all and happy and very gentle being fed bread by hand by them. Unfortunately, the pond silted up badly one year after a severe storm washed a load of silt down from up the valley, and it made the island a little less secure from foxes so one year they just didn't come back. They may well have been shot of course in the great cull.

We don't seem to have Cuckoos anymore though. We used to hear them every year until about 6 years ago and now they seem to have gone, although like the Kingfishers and even a Swallow once, I have held one in my hand that had stunned itself before recovering and flying off. Swallows and Martins return each year, the peak about 9 years ago was 8 Martins nests on the house (we have a man who comes every year and records them all) although last year we only had one brood that was successful, the worst year since we moved here, though I'm suspecting the raptors are responsible for their demise, probably the Peregrines though Hobbies can take Martins too. The Swifts tend to stay in the Church tower in the village a few miles away.

Woodpeckers are also quite frequent, Greater and Lesser Spotted (! yes) as well as Green, and Treecreepers, Mistlethrushes, Nuthatches, Wrens, Flycatchers and Grey and Pied Wagtails are also a not uncommon sight. There is even a solitary Raven that lurks with the Crows sometimes, and the usual gang of hooligan Magpies, some very big indeed on roadkill, and also a few Jays on our Oak trees. beautifully coloured birds that can also be brilliant mimics. I met a woman years ago who had one as a pet she'd raised from an abandoned fledgling, and had successfully taught it to speak as well as any Parrot I've ever heard.

If I get the chance, I'll try and take photos of the more interesting stuff and post them on here.

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline phil_1010

• Anny Roader
  • The Reds Are Coming Up The Hill Boys...
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2011, 12:55:04 am »
Great read that Gulleysucker. Sounds like a great part of the country you live in.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2011, 08:54:32 am »
Great read that Gulleysucker. Sounds like a great part of the country you live in.

I'm jealous as fuck. Gully, have you read any books by Roger Deakin?

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2011, 09:35:11 am »
....Sounds like a great part of the country you live in.

Yes it is, and it's something we sometimes are in danger of just taking for granted but I do recognise and have always drummed into our kids just how very fortunate they have been growing up here in comparison to the places so many people live in.

It's certainly a bit more varied and rural than my childhood in the 50's and 60's down Melwood Drive, though it's a tad more difficult getting to matches these days, but I leave that to my son who's at Liverpool University at the moment.

I'm jealous as fuck. Gully, have you read any books by Roger Deakin?

You wouldn't have been jealous during the 9 days snowed in period last winter. Donner party stuff!

I'd forgotten about Deakin, but now remember that programme by him years back on Hank Wangford.

I'll try and get his Waterlog book, it looks interesting (I have read the Cheever one he drew his inspiration from).

Offline Kahuna{=}Berger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Innovate, not imitate.
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2011, 09:45:32 am »
Jesus, Gulleysucker, you're spoiled!

Most exotic we've had in the back garden was a Waxwing for a few days about 15 years ago. We get blackcaps every year and there's been plenty of Redwing the last few winters. A grey Heron stops at the pond every blue moon and the odd raptor stops by, only Kestrels and Sparrowhamks though. Also saw a yellow wagtail not so long ago, which wouldn't be common around here at all and a flock of Long-tailed tits visit for a few hours on the same day each January (no kidding) and then bugger off again for the year. There used to be plenty of Kingfishers and Dippers in the river across the road but haven't seen anything there for ages. There also used to be the odd Corncrake that you'd hear during the summer, but sadly, they're LONG gone since all the development. 

In the ha'penny placed compared to yourself!

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2011, 12:30:25 pm »
The football pitches round my way are great for attracting the likes of geese and herons. Seen a few whopper herons in the field round the corner. Its only a small field right in the midle of an estate but the old folk do throw out their dinner scraps for the birds. The herons have been going there for years

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2011, 07:37:16 pm »
randomly found this hawk picture taken about a year ago while I was looking for those cardinal pics
Some great pics & stories in thesis thread now, the wing shape and end feathers of that Hawk distinctly like the bird I saw on the Ford Road in to Liverpool (which I though may have been a Hen Harrier).

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2011, 07:41:33 pm »
That reminds me as well, when I was sitting at the top of my garden with my little girl when she was about 4, in the summer as is was getting dusky. She says to me "daddy theres a bird in that tree and it isn't a pigeon". When I turned round its only a fucking Tawny Owl just sitting there looking at us - what a fucking sight.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2011, 07:43:51 pm »
The football pitches round my way are great for attracting the likes of geese and herons. Seen a few whopper herons in the field round the corner. Its only a small field right in the midle of an estate but the old folk do throw out their dinner scraps for the birds. The herons have been going there for years
Its superb when the Herons by us fly over or even land on the roof tops occasionally, the Crows and the Magpies go bonkers. In fact I've got used to its approach now by some of the screeches and circling buy the Crows.

Online CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2011, 07:50:41 pm »
Its superb when the Herons by us fly over or even land on the roof tops occasionally, the Crows and the Magpies go bonkers. In fact I've got used to its approach now by some of the screeches and circling buy the Crows.
I have in my possession a .22 for the magpies. I'm a cracking shot even if I say so meself, must be all them years of training.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2011, 08:12:35 pm »
Here's a pair of Partridges that visit the garden regularly...still looking for a pear tree.

We get the odd Woodcock and Snipe coming too, I'll try and get a snap of them.

While we have always blamed the occasional Heron for sometimes wiping out the fish in our small ornamental pond in that photo, we have had suspicions that other things might also be in on the act, so finding this on the lane outside our house came as no surprise a few of years ago (not a bird but interesting to some perhaps).

Sadly it had been whacked by probably the only car to go past that evening.

It was a juvenile female. It was collected by the local Water peeps to perform an autopsy, their livers being an excellent indicator of pollutants in the water.

Offline phil_1010

• Anny Roader
  • The Reds Are Coming Up The Hill Boys...
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2011, 08:44:14 pm »
... but I leave that to my son who's at Liverpool University at the moment.

What's your son studying at Liverpool Uni? I'm in my final year there.

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2011, 09:16:00 pm »
Shot this in 2005 while on my honeymoon in Costa Rica. It was at a feeding station where the humming birds would zip and fly around your head. Had to keep a bit of distance, but it was still quite easy to pick up some fascinating shots.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2011, 09:40:25 pm »
Woah, Nice shot timiano. Would love to see a hummingbird up close

<a href="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1877415&amp;amp" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1877415&amp;amp</a>

Offline ElmAnfield

• Main Stander
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2011, 10:00:29 pm »
Keep an eye on 'Osprey watch Lake District' the Ospreys will hopefully return to nesting site near Keswick in early April. There's two veiwing areas (Upper and lower) were they have high powered telescopes and binoculars in which you can watch these Birds of prey Fishing, feeding and sitting on nest area. Best time is early after chicks born.
Great day out

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2011, 10:50:25 pm »
Here's a pair of Partridges that visit the garden regularly.
Brilliant, I've never seen one mate.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2011, 07:49:33 pm »
The House Martins turned up yesterday, and the Swallows today. Must be spring.
And this evening two Canada geese have just circled and then landed on the far pond on the farm next door to possibly make their nest.
Been listening out for but haven't heard a Cuckoo yet though.

Offline BRdispatch05

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2011, 08:03:12 pm »
by the way, the bird I was trying to identify by its sound, I found the power-up in mario that sounds slightly similar (from what I remember)

http://themushroomkingdom.net/sounds/wav/smb/smb_powerup.wav

My memory is a little foggy, but I am pretty sure that is exactly what I was thinking. Obviously it doesn't sound exactly the same, probably a little deeper sounding and slower though

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2011, 08:24:40 pm »
The House Martins turned up yesterday, and the Swallows today. Must be spring.
And this evening two Canada geese have just circled and then landed on the far pond on the farm next door to possibly make their nest.
Been listening out for but haven't heard a Cuckoo yet though.
Interesting point about the Swallows mate. I played Allerton Golf course on Monday and never noticed the absence of the Swallows flying low all over the course - they just haven't returned have they. There's usually dozens.

I heard a Cuckoo somewhere around Caldies Park last week but didn't think anything of it to be honest. On the same night I was running and could hear a Woodpecker giving it stick then I noticed it up the tree. I stopped to watch and was astonished at how much they can rattle and bend a pretty sturdy branch - amazing.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2011, 08:27:11 pm »
by the way, the bird I was trying to identify by its sound, I found the power-up in mario that sounds slightly similar (from what I remember)

http://themushroomkingdom.net/sounds/wav/smb/smb_powerup.wav

My memory is a little foggy, but I am pretty sure that is exactly what I was thinking. Obviously it doesn't sound exactly the same, probably a little deeper sounding and slower though
If its a tiny bird it could be a Goldfinch mate. There's usually a couple of them and they make the same sound whether they're flying or sat on your aerial. Lovely little things.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: April 22, 2011, 08:31:02 pm »
Springwatch starts back up on monday. Looking forward to it. Bill Odie returns for the first episode

Offline MichaelA

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
« Reply #79 on: April 22, 2011, 08:33:38 pm »
Sparrowhawk in the garden first thing yesterday