Author Topic: Rugby League World Cup (2021/22)  (Read 25825 times)

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
Re: Rugby League World Cup (2017)
« Reply #120 on: November 18, 2017, 11:12:15 am »
Bloody Pacific Island nations weakening the NZ side by taking our best players

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #121 on: November 18, 2017, 11:47:18 am »
4-2? :lmao Mean if them to steal all your best players in anti bullying week. No respect.

Tonga only squeaked past Lebanon too

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: November 18, 2017, 02:32:48 pm »
Haha fucking Kiwis. Battered Scotland and thought they could steamroll through to the Semis.

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #123 on: November 19, 2017, 07:26:08 am »
I'm surpised there isn't more love for League on RAWK. 

Not a criticism just an observation.  Growing up - 'up north' and spending many years living in Wigan, most northerners (in my experience) consider League to be the northern game and Union to be for southerners (because southerners can afford to have 2 more friends) however Union gets far more love on here

Again, just an observation. 

« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 07:30:08 am by Igor Tripod Biscan »
Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #124 on: November 19, 2017, 07:50:45 am »
I will be amazed if McGillvary isn't playing in the NRL 2019.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: November 19, 2017, 01:19:52 pm »
Well that was shite. Our pass completion was fucking amateur. We'll scrape past Tonga before our usual take it up the arse for the Aussies.

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #126 on: November 23, 2017, 09:25:41 pm »

Not a criticism just an observation.  Growing up - 'up north' and spending many years living in Wigan, most northerners (in my experience) consider League to be the northern game and Union to be for southerners (because southerners can afford to have 2 more friends) however Union gets far more love on here

Interest in RL literally stops at Windle island on the A580.
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: November 24, 2017, 11:07:52 am »
Australia battering Fiji in the fist Semi.  54-6.

Valentine Holmes 6 tries in the match breaking the record for most tries in an international. We're getting hammered.   ;D

Offline pundapat

• Kopite
« Reply #128 on: November 25, 2017, 02:58:42 am »
Australia battering Fiji in the fist Semi.  54-6.

Valentine Holmes 6 tries in the match breaking the record for most tries in an international. We're getting hammered.   ;D

Scored more tries in two test matches on the wing than he did all season at fullback. As a Cronulla supporter I surely hope he realises, at his current standing, he’s best plying his trade on the wing, where he’s simply a try scoring freak.
Don’t get me wrong, the boy is destined to play fullback one day, but he was thrust into the position at least 3 years prematurely.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #129 on: November 25, 2017, 07:04:36 am »
England were 20-0 up v Tonga after 72 minutes. Finished 20-18 with Yonga knocking on just yards from the England line. Incredible finish.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #130 on: November 25, 2017, 02:00:55 pm »
No one else see this? Was amazing, thankfully didn’t go full Crystal Palace on us.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: November 25, 2017, 02:15:27 pm »
No one else see this? Was amazing, thankfully didn’t go full Crystal Palace on us.

Just seen the highlights. Was a bonkers last ten minutes.

They still won't beat Australia next week.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: November 25, 2017, 02:17:09 pm »
Saw the highlights mate.  We're getting tonked next week,.  ;D

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #133 on: November 25, 2017, 02:22:39 pm »

Watched it all. Amazing game, nearly for the wrong reasons. Couldn't believe he didn't go to screen on last play.
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #134 on: November 25, 2017, 02:33:56 pm »
McGilverry would have had nightmares had they scored at the end have made the interception and then lost the call.

Agree Samie 20 points or more next week you’d think. You never know!...

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: November 25, 2017, 08:14:06 pm »
I think Fifita scores a good try. Great game, great atmosphere.

This could be huge for the game in Tonga. Hopefully Rugby League won’t waste this opportunity.

Australia to win by 20 points. If Tonga had better halves they would won and Australia have world class halves.

Offline Fairytale of 2005

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: November 25, 2017, 09:57:40 pm »
I haven't watched any of the tournament since the England v Australia game. What has it been like quality and entertainment wise?

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: November 25, 2017, 10:26:38 pm »
Quality is a lot better than last time out. The pacific islands of PNG, Tonga and Fiji have greatly improved. 2 of them beat New Zealand.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: November 26, 2017, 08:42:55 am »
Quality is a lot better than last time out. The pacific islands of PNG, Tonga and Fiji have greatly improved. 2 of them beat New Zealand.

Figures. They will probably overtake England at some point, as the quality here has severely decreased in the past 10 years or so.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: November 26, 2017, 08:45:56 am »

The old Super League thread used to be really lively up until 8 or 9 years ago. A lot of those guys don't appear to post on RAWK anymore, plus the game has gone dow hill entertainment wise in the eyes of many. I used to love the game, but I barely watch it anymore.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: November 26, 2017, 08:58:52 am »
The old Super League thread used to be really lively up until 8 or 9 years ago. A lot of those guys don't appear to post on RAWK anymore, plus the game has gone dow hill entertainment wise in the eyes of many. I used to love the game, but I barely watch it anymore.

Super league has defiently taken a hit quality wise. The gap between SL and NRL on the pitch and salaries continues to get wider. Clubs here lose the the best talent to Australia and can’t now afford to bring the best Australian players over here anymore.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #141 on: November 26, 2017, 09:13:36 am »
Super league has defiently taken a hit quality wise. The gap between SL and NRL on the pitch and salaries continues to get wider. Clubs here lose the the best talent to Australia and can’t now afford to bring the best Australian players over here anymore.

What’s caused that? Less TV money here? Or is it more of a case of the NRL budget getting offer so they can take our best players and keep there’s?

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: November 26, 2017, 11:36:34 am »
What’s caused that? Less TV money here? Or is it more of a case of the NRL budget getting offer so they can take our best players and keep there’s?

Way less TV money. The superleague TV deal hasn't really risen when inflation is taking into account. The NRL deal is huge in comparison. The pound not being so strong against the Australian Dollar also plays a part.

http://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/news/21659/11111087/super-league-at-risk-after-nrl-announce-bumper-pay-deal

The average wage for a top NRL player will rise to nearly £200,000 a year as part of a new pay deal worth £566m that will have huge ramifications for Super League.

The National Rugby League finally reached agreement with the players union, bringing to an end more than 16 months of negotiations, which will see the salary cap increased to £5.4m next year and to more than £5.8m in 2022.

That compares to a salary cap in the Super League of £1.9m in 2018 and effectively rules out any more major recruits from the NRL.

So in effect you have the the NRL being able to pay players more as well as offer players a lifestyle in sunny Australia as well as a threat from Rugby Union taking talent.

The worrying thing is NRL teams can be now take players younger. Superleague may not see its best players for 3,4,5 years and then they go to Oz. Now a player could play one season and his then offered a chance to move to Australia.

Would be crazy to say no.

Now some would argue its time to scrap the salary cap in superleague as there are some clubs who are wealthy enough to pay more to players and still not go into debt.

Another point is Australia has a much larger player pool to choose from. Rugby league is huge in NSW and Queensland with the participation numbers of kids playing the game being much higher than in the UK.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 11:50:08 am by puroresu_kid »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: November 26, 2017, 02:02:30 pm »

The problems for RL run deep in this country, starting with coaching at kids level. Skill and flair is actively coached out of kids in favour of fundamentals. The product on the field gets worse and worse, because the players are actually worse. Then there are the clueless clowns at RFL, stupid rule changes, Sky and a whole host of other issues.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: November 26, 2017, 02:18:57 pm »
The problems for RL run deep in this country, starting with coaching at kids level. Skill and flair is actively coached out of kids in favour of fundamentals. The product on the field gets worse and worse, because the players are actually worse. Then there are the clueless clowns at RFL, stupid rule changes, Sky and a whole host of other issues.

The lack of real quality creative half backs is worrying.

I thought Kyle Eastmond would of been a star but he left for Rugby Union early.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: November 26, 2017, 02:38:17 pm »
The lack of real quality creative half backs is worrying.

I thought Kyle Eastmond would of been a star but he left for Rugby Union early.

Halves may be the area that suffers most from the coaching at a young age and the obsession with arm wrestle rugby. It is no coincidence that the backs in SL are not the same as what they used to be. Just look at the wingers being made to take the first couple of drives from deep, it's nonsense. The forwards play 20 minutes at a time and have plenty of rest, so why make the wingers take drives? As a result, wingers of blistering pace are all but extinct and the game is all about scoring tries off kicks and set plays. No flair, no speed, just boring grind.

First thing I would do is drop the interchanges to six, it would instantly bring back some excitement.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: November 26, 2017, 04:57:35 pm »
Halves may be the area that suffers most from the coaching at a young age and the obsession with arm wrestle rugby. It is no coincidence that the backs in SL are not the same as what they used to be. Just look at the wingers being made to take the first couple of drives from deep, it's nonsense. The forwards play 20 minutes at a time and have plenty of rest, so why make the wingers take drives? As a result, wingers of blistering pace are all but extinct and the game is all about scoring tries off kicks and set plays. No flair, no speed, just boring grind.

First thing I would do is drop the interchanges to six, it would instantly bring back some excitement.

It's why Castleford are so liked as they play a different game.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #147 on: December 2, 2017, 09:57:55 am »
6-0 Australia at half time. We’re at that horrible ‘false hope’ stage.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: December 2, 2017, 09:59:53 am »
Still find it ridiculous that an Australian can be refereeing a World Cup final that Australia are playing in.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: December 2, 2017, 10:25:08 am »
Still find it ridiculous that an Australian can be refereeing a World Cup final that Australia are playing in.

It's a total farce.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: December 2, 2017, 10:26:46 am »
Listening to this on 5 Live. The commentary is shite. There's 20 certain tries prevented. Sounds a bit like Steve Hunter from LFCTV
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: December 2, 2017, 10:40:04 am »
Done everything but score  england

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #152 on: December 2, 2017, 10:42:07 am »
Listening to this on 5 Live. The commentary is shite. There's 20 certain tries prevented. Sounds a bit like Steve Hunter from LFCTV

That’s who I thought it was at first. :D

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #153 on: December 2, 2017, 10:43:48 am »
Where’s all the fat blokes bending over, breathing heavily, hands on their knees? Oh, it’s League, not Union.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Outer Mongolian Red

• Rafa ran over my dog. Then shot it. Fact
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: December 2, 2017, 10:52:17 am »
Why kick it away there?!

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: December 2, 2017, 10:55:08 am »
Stupid decision making towards the end of sets cost England there, a lack of composure near their try line. But it was a lot closer then I thought it would be, the Aussies looked spent at the end.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #156 on: December 2, 2017, 10:56:31 am »
Where’s all the fat blokes bending over, breathing heavily, hands on their knees? Oh, it’s League, not Union.

Yeah they all looked fresh as a daisy there at the end.

Would like to see that last play of the game there, looked like we were in had he held on to it.

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #157 on: December 2, 2017, 10:57:49 am »
Too many errors alongside a lack of professionalism and intelligence in the final third.

Shame really but always nice to see Bateman lose
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: December 2, 2017, 10:58:36 am »
Yeah they all looked fresh as a daisy there at the end.

Would like to see that last play of the game there, looked like we were in had he held on to it.

Think a forward pass was given earlier on in the play as it went wide. The one I didn't understand was Gayle kicking on the 3rd with 2 mins left- need to play to the end of the set.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #159 on: December 2, 2017, 11:01:03 am »
Think a forward pass was given earlier on in the play as it went wide. The one I didn't understand was Gayle kicking on the 3rd with 2 mins left- need to play to the end of the set.

Yeah that was a waste. Great effort but just a difference in class with the execution. Almost more galling to lose a tight one with a few missed opportunities to mull over.

Ah well, at least that twat Slater didn’t score!