Author Topic: The Pyramids  (Read 74230 times)

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
Re: The Pyramids
« Reply #160 on: October 3, 2017, 10:28:56 pm »
You need to watch the program that I linked to earlier.
Almost certain I've seen it before, but I'll add it to the watchlist :)

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #161 on: October 3, 2017, 10:30:29 pm »
Is that real though? I always thought Alien vs Predator was just fiction, unlike Stargate.

No, but the Nazi flying saucers in the hole into the inner earth that's down there are.... ;)
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #162 on: October 3, 2017, 10:31:21 pm »
No, but the Nazi flying saucers in the hole into the inner earth that's down there are.... ;)
right... I'm with you now. back on track.

Online Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #163 on: October 3, 2017, 10:32:32 pm »
I'm no expert, but as far as I can tell the precision of the Great Pyramid's construction is the most impressive ancient engineering feat/inexplicable mystery that could have only have been achieved with extraterrestrial interference here. Aren't the lengths of the sides consistent to one another with an error no greater than an inch? I think the base is supposed to be level to a similar degree of accuracy. Whichever way you cut it, that's damn impressive and I'm not sure their surveying and setting out techniques are fully understood, but that doesn't in any way necessitate alien involvement, it just means we still have to work it out.

There are several prehistoric constructions or beliefs that we are yet to properly interpret, and maybe never will; Stonehenge for example, a far less impressive (though still incredible in its own right) monument is also poorly understood - we have a vague understanding of its phasing over several centuries culminating in the monument as it is today, but we still don't know exactly how the Welsh bluestones were transported there, or even what the bloody thing is actually for, and probably never will.

I've seen a few estimates that seemed fairly kosher that suggested that it could easily have been built in a couple of decades or less, especially if they had a workforce (slaves or skilled craftsmen) that numbered in the tens of thousands, potentially. Personally I find it fairly easy to believe that a pharaoh would be able to mobilise such a sizeable workforce. He was, after all, a living god, and it seems like he had a massive fuck off ego too.

The more prosaic explanations do not in any way detract from the sheer incredible magnificence of it all, and other buildings and cities from ancient Egypt and other cultures around the world. Anyone here been to Angkor Wat and the surrounding temples? Fucking incredible place. Humans can do some truly mindblowing stuff, when we put our minds to it.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #164 on: October 3, 2017, 10:33:39 pm »
Is that real though? I always thought Alien vs Predator was just fiction, unlike Stargate.

It couldn't be fiction, it had that dude from Milennium in it. See. It's all starting to fit together. He was also in the X-Files in an episode called 'Millenium.'

Q.E.D.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy Hunter

• Rip Van Walford. Committed Iron Pumper! Full of hot air. Due to weighty issues, currently seeking a new hobby.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: October 3, 2017, 10:35:45 pm »
Just been having a think about this thread while at the gym (chest day).

It's ironic I'm being called a conspiracy theorist, as my account is based on a conspiracy from 2005 of whether Andy Hunter really died.

Yes he was chucked off a bridge, but he had a pea coat to cushion the landing, as well as the possibility of falling on a vehicle, breaking a couple bones and going to Spain like Den did, and easily coming back.

Many people who used to watch EastEnders like I used to in the 2000s have debated this. They substantiated the belief on Digital Spy forums.

Here's the scene to analyse the possibility

https://youtu.be/TpS37zsI_Kc

Cheryl Baker survived a botched skydive.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-183432/Cheryl-skydive-accident.html

Not trying to go off topic, but I just like how this is all full circle.

(That's full circle, not crop circles for all the Alien guys in here)
« Last Edit: October 3, 2017, 10:44:42 pm by Andy Hunter »
Did Shevchenko score his rebound?
Why was there an ambulance behind the goal for Tommason's Penalty?
HOW DID GUDJOHNSEN MISS??

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #166 on: October 3, 2017, 10:46:12 pm »
Just been having a think about this thread while at the gym (chest day).

It's ironic I'm being called a conspiracy theorist, as my account is based on a conspiracy from 2005 of whether Andy Hunter really died.

Yes he was chucked off a bridge, but he had a pea coat to cushion the landing, as well as the possibility of falling on a vehicle, breaking a couple bones and going to Spain like Den did, and easily coming back.

Many people who used to watch EastEnders like I used to in the 2000s have debated this. They substantiated the belief on Digital Spy forums.

Here's the scene to analyse the possibility

https://youtu.be/TpS37zsI_Kc

Cheryl Baker survived a botched skydive.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-183432/Cheryl-skydive-accident.html

Not trying to go off topic, but I just like how this is all full circle.

(That's full circle, not crop circles for all the Alien guys in here)

He had a coat made of peas?

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy Hunter

• Rip Van Walford. Committed Iron Pumper! Full of hot air. Due to weighty issues, currently seeking a new hobby.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: October 3, 2017, 10:48:12 pm »

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #168 on: October 3, 2017, 10:50:16 pm »
Almost certain I've seen it before, but I'll add it to the watchlist :)

While you're at it, have a read of these..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Egyptian_mathematics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plumb_bob

http://www.surveyhistory.org/egyptian_surveying_tools1.htm

https://www.fig.net/resources/proceedings/fig_proceedings/cairo/papers/wshs_02/wshs02_02_paulson.pdf

There's nothing miraculous about the claimed precision, it's perfectly reasonable given the well documented tools and techniques at their disposal and their knowledge of Mathematics (They were well numerate, had algebra and were even solving Quadratic equations).

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: October 3, 2017, 10:50:22 pm »
He had a coat made of peas?

Ahhh but were they Cheesy Peas ?
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #170 on: October 3, 2017, 10:56:06 pm »
But even with all the practice and expertise in the world, it's physically impossible to build the Great Pyramid in twenty years.

Do the math. We're talking 2,000,000+ blocks, that have to be quarried, moved, and then laid. We're not talking about just throwing these blocks down anywhere, they were laid with extreme precision. The inside corridors and chambers are phenomenally accurate.

All using primitive tools.

I'll definitely have a read of the link in the morning with my coffee though, thanks for that  :)

What are you on about? It's not laid with extreme precision.

The core stones are laid fairly roughly and worked enough to make them stable. The facings are worked smooth but even they aren't precision cut.

Your point about a modern engineer not knowing how to build a pyramid is as relevant as a modern toolmaker not knowing how to make a flint  axe or a gunmaker knowing how to make a longbow.

The pyramids are massive but relatively crude structures that contain areas of finer stone work and crafts of incredible workmanship. The level of 'engineering' is non-existent with the sides at the angle of repose and corridor roofs constructed using massively oversized corbels or lintels. The only question is whether there was enough manpower to actually build them in the time.

The Egyptians knew how to carve and move huge stones. This is from an exhibition my girlfriend project managed at the British Museum:

A beautifully carved statue from a block of a similar scale as the individual stones used to build the pyramid. And my mate Darrel runs the heavy object team at the BM and they could move that and lift it with ropes, blocks and skids because they know what they're doing. They shift massive carvings as their day job.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #171 on: October 3, 2017, 11:01:06 pm »
To go off on a tangent whats' the deal with Stonehenge?  :D

I saw a documentary on that. It's only about 18" high. Smaller than a couple of dwarves.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: October 3, 2017, 11:04:20 pm »
To go off on a tangent whats' the deal with Stonehenge?  :D

Is that a reference to that Ylvis song?

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: October 3, 2017, 11:04:37 pm »
BBC- Building the Great Pyramid - 1 of 6

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/zwiic6BoleQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/zwiic6BoleQ</a>

So that you don't have to go searching for it.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #174 on: October 3, 2017, 11:21:03 pm »

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: October 4, 2017, 06:31:00 am »
It couldn't be fiction, it had that dude from Milennium in it. See. It's all starting to fit together. He was also in the X-Files in an episode called 'Millenium.'

Q.E.D.

Has anyone listened to Lance Henriksen's podcast to see who he thinks built the pyramids? ;D
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #176 on: October 4, 2017, 06:47:33 am »
Why has no one thought to contact the Great Nuttall. If he didn’t build them, then he must know who did, after all hasn’t he got a PhD in History. And don’t forget ukip are into intergalactic space flight and sending aliens back home
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #177 on: October 4, 2017, 06:55:05 am »
Why has no one thought to contact the Great Nuttall. If he didn’t build them, then he must know who did..

He'd probably think that Wimpey built them.

Offline Andy Hunter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: October 4, 2017, 07:09:46 am »
Has anyone listened to Lance Henriksen's podcast to see who he thinks built the pyramids? ;D

He's not a wrestler.

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #179 on: October 4, 2017, 07:47:28 am »
He'd probably think that Wimpey built them.
  :)
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #180 on: October 4, 2017, 04:52:48 pm »

See. This is real research ideas right there.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: October 4, 2017, 05:10:01 pm »
Aside from being absolutely bonkers, the alien theories make no practical sense. We would have to assume that said aliens had interstellar technology and therefore know-how greatly surpassing what man knows now or will likely discover over the next few centuries.  These interstellar superbrains travelled millions of light years and what did they do?  They built crude stone pyramids so that the primitive people of this planet could bury their 'God-rulers' inside after they died.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #182 on: October 4, 2017, 05:13:03 pm »
Aside from being absolutely bonkers, the alien theories make no practical sense.

This is exactly what someone who knew the rumours were true but were involved in a cover up would say.

I'm on to you.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: October 4, 2017, 05:16:07 pm »
This is exactly what someone who knew the rumours were true but were involved in a cover up would say.

I'm on to you.

I know you're on to me. I have your house tapped.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #184 on: October 4, 2017, 05:28:07 pm »
There's an implicit (racist?) assumption that Africans couldn't have built something so phenomenal, so long ago because... Africans.
Therefore it must have been aliens. QED.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: October 4, 2017, 05:47:11 pm »
Here's a pretty good breakdown of the effort and manpower involved put together by some Egyptologists:

https://www.cheops-pyramide.ch/khufu-pyramid/pyramid-workers.html

They reckon 10-15 years would have been doable.

Of course it was aliens. Given your apparent interest in the subject, I have to ask: have you not watched the documentary series, Stargate!?
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: October 4, 2017, 05:51:17 pm »
FFS man, did you miss the 90's or something. Of-course it was Aliens.

And who else but aliens had the ability to produce photographs at the time of a pyramid landing. The public needs to wake up!
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Online Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: October 4, 2017, 05:53:21 pm »
There's an implicit (racist?) assumption that Africans couldn't have built something so phenomenal, so long ago because... Africans.
Therefore it must have been aliens. QED.

That's fucking shocking (the underlying racism, not your post) if true, in this day and age. I can almost understand people holding such views in less enlightened times, and there's ample evidence that they did, but today? Get to fuck.

That said, there are undeniable pyramids on Mars, and a giant stone face, so there was definitely Ancient Egyptian - extraterrestrial contact. This is no conspiracy theory, it's scientific fact. There may be no actual evidence for it beyond a few grainy images but it's still scientific fact. Maybe the Egyptians influenced the Martians, or there could have been some kind of two-way cross-pollenisation of ideas, art and technology. At this stage we simply don't have enough evidence to make any definitive interpretations.

« Last Edit: October 4, 2017, 06:04:43 pm by Djozer »

Offline Andy Hunter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: October 4, 2017, 05:55:33 pm »
FFS man, did you miss the 90's or something. Of-course it was Aliens.

What have Toblerones have to do with this?

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #189 on: October 4, 2017, 05:55:38 pm »
And who else but aliens had the ability to produce photographs at the time of a pyramid landing. The public needs to wake up!
Cleverer than even you imagine. Can you see in the background how they made the planets in the background circular and not flat?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #190 on: October 4, 2017, 05:55:45 pm »
That's fucking shocking (the underlying racism, not your post) if true, in this day and age. I can almost understand people holding such views in less enlightened times, and there's ample evidence that they did, but today? Get to fuck.

Whenever someone says something is "implicit", you should always look for a bit more evidence.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: October 4, 2017, 05:58:08 pm »
OK, it was a silly comparison.
But the people who actually study it don't know. That's my point.

They don't know, we don't know.

We're talking about astounding precision. That's no exaggeration.

But you are using the same kind of 'God of the gaps' arguments put forward by creationists. Just because we don't know how something occurred or works, it does mean we jump to fantastical conclusions. But in this case, it is even worse - we largely know how these feats of engineering were achieved. The Egyptians were not stupid. They had the same brain capacity as 21st century humans. If the Egyptians had produced a stealth bomber, or the LHC, then you might have reason to suppose that something else was going on.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: October 4, 2017, 06:00:19 pm »
Yep, me too. just waiting for them to find the one in Antartica.

Nope, already documented in Stargate.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: October 4, 2017, 06:02:34 pm »

I think Alien vs Predator was a PBS dramatised documentary.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: October 4, 2017, 06:11:27 pm »
I'm no expert, but as far as I can tell the precision of the Great Pyramid's construction is the most impressive ancient engineering feat/inexplicable mystery that could have only have been achieved with extraterrestrial interference here. Aren't the lengths of the sides consistent to one another with an error no greater than an inch? I think the base is supposed to be level to a similar degree of accuracy. Whichever way you cut it, that's damn impressive and I'm not sure their surveying and setting out techniques are fully understood, but that doesn't in any way necessitate alien involvement, it just means we still have to work it out.

I've not read anything about how the Pyramids were actually designed and constructed, but I'm sure the Egyptians knew that 'water will finds its own level' (dig a trough, fill it with water, and you can establish equal elevation over nearly any distance) - though, depending upon the structure, if it was over a long enough distance, you might need to take account of curvature of the Earth). Construction of right angles is trivial of course (Pythagoras). I don't know enough about the rest of the geometry of the Pyramids to offer a comment, but I assume there is nothing astonishing there either.

Online Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: October 4, 2017, 06:12:29 pm »
Whenever someone says something is "implicit", you should always look for a bit more evidence.

Very true. It wouldn't surprise me though, seeing as the purveyors of these ridiculous theories often tend to lean to the alt-right side of things, and I don't think it's too great a leap to suggest that the alt-right frequently exhibit what I consider to be racist tendencies. In previous times when theories of white racial superiority were more widespread and accepted, European explorers were often dismissive of the abilities of African and south American cultures and rushed to ascribe their greatest technological achievements to earlier Caucasian or Arabic influences. There might (repeat, might) be elements of similar racial views amongst modern conspiracy theorists.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: October 4, 2017, 06:20:37 pm »
What have Toblerones have to do with this?

It was obviously the Swiss that built the pyramids, fuelled by fondue and gingham. Orson Welles was talking out of his arse.

"You know what the fellow said – in Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace – and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. Well, and the fucking pyramids but I'm not going to talk about that. They'll have me shot.

So long Holly."
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Online Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: October 4, 2017, 06:21:37 pm »
I've not read anything about how the Pyramids were actually designed and constructed, but I'm sure the Egyptians knew that 'water will finds its own level' (dig a trough, fill it with water, and you can establish equal elevation over nearly any distance) - though, depending upon the structure, if it was over a long enough distance, you might need to take account of curvature of the Earth). Construction of right angles is trivial of course (Pythagoras). I don't know enough about the rest of the geometry of the Pyramids to offer a comment, but I assume there is nothing astonishing there either.

You may very well be correct mate. I've never used water to set elevation, but from personal experience I know how hard it is to set up right angles using the 3,4,5 triangle or derivations thereof, from having to set up grids and baselines on sites I've worked on. The larger the site (or square you're setting up), the greater the error tends to be.

I'm not suggesting any sort of supernatural or extraterrestrial influence or assistance, but to have only a few centimetres difference between the lengths of the four bases, when each base was over 200m long, is bloody amazing. In no way is it impossible to achieve using fairly rudimentary technologies, but it's still pretty incredible. I don't mean incredible in the sense that I find it hard to believe, just that I think, fuck, fair play to those guys, that's impressive.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: October 4, 2017, 06:30:56 pm »
Very true. It wouldn't surprise me though, seeing as the purveyors of these ridiculous theories often tend to lean to the alt-right side of things, and I don't think it's too great a leap to suggest that the alt-right frequently exhibit what I consider to be racist tendencies. In previous times when theories of white racial superiority were more widespread and accepted, European explorers were often dismissive of the abilities of African and south American cultures and rushed to ascribe their greatest technological achievements to earlier Caucasian or Arabic influences. There might (repeat, might) be elements of similar racial views amongst modern conspiracy theorists.

Or, 'white' inhabitants of (fictional*) Atlantis were originators of Pharaohian Egypt, the Aztec civilisation, etc.

* For the benefit of wingnuts, Atlantis is fiction.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: October 4, 2017, 06:35:53 pm »
You may very well be correct mate. I've never used water to set elevation, but from personal experience I know how hard it is to set up right angles using the 3,4,5 triangle or derivations thereof, from having to set up grids and baselines on sites I've worked on. The larger the site (or square you're setting up), the greater the error tends to be.

I'm not suggesting any sort of supernatural or extraterrestrial influence or assistance, but to have only a few centimetres difference between the lengths of the four bases, when each base was over 200m long, is bloody amazing. In no way is it impossible to achieve using fairly rudimentary technologies, but it's still pretty incredible. I don't mean incredible in the sense that I find it hard to believe, just that I think, fuck, fair play to those guys, that's impressive.

Make a loop out of rope, and tie 12 knots in it. Pull tight at key point knots 3, 7 and 12 units along its length - you have yourself a right angle.