Author Topic: Android Phones - Apps and stuff  (Read 259682 times)

Offline Waterloo Phil

• Cheeky bleeder. Thinks the mods are here to answer to his beck and call
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ya Get Me
Re: Android Phones - Apps and stuff
« Reply #480 on: April 21, 2011, 08:56:49 pm »
Looks boss, thanks

Offline Gigantic Lamb

• Seeks huge jar of mint sauce for quiet nights in. I need to think of a really really long Custom title. As long as possible... Any ideas PM me....I dont even like mint sauce....Whats your sauce? I am Saucy ........are you?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #481 on: April 22, 2011, 06:57:59 pm »
Hi lads

Just to let you know that everything on the Android market can be gotten for free

Simply download the app at www.applanet.net on your phone and everything is free....

I picket up some nice apps today,Beautiful widgets is superb,also alarm clock xtreme,poweramp full version,Soundhound and Need For Speed

oh and Fancy widget pro...
European Cups are like houses - Ultimately it's better to own than to rent.

http://twitter.com/giganticlamb

☆☆☆☆☆

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #482 on: April 24, 2011, 10:58:22 am »
Yes pal they are all free...
Certainly are. Just downloaded a few. Thanks for the heads up.

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #483 on: April 25, 2011, 12:29:08 am »
Just got a Orange San Francisco (ZTE Blade). Rooted it, unlocked it and put the Swedish Spring RL5 ROM on it (Android 2.2)

Amazing phone for £95 on PAYG.

Offline Tomo!

• Shit post editor! Will be giving his wife one.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #484 on: April 25, 2011, 01:49:01 am »
I picket up some nice apps today,Beautiful widgets is superb,also alarm clock xtreme,poweramp full version,Soundhound and Need For Speed

oh and Fancy widget pro...

Cheers for this mate.
Google messi topless on holiday. Now look at david silva, villa, iniesta, xavi, they have the upper bodies of little boys.

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
  • Innocence and Arrogance Entwined
« Reply #485 on: April 25, 2011, 05:32:20 am »
Just got a Orange San Francisco (ZTE Blade). Rooted it, unlocked it and put the Swedish Spring RL5 ROM on it (Android 2.2)

Amazing phone for £95 on PAYG.
Got one myself about 3 weeks ago (after getting pissed off with trying to get Android 2.1 working properly on my T-mobile pulse because of the laughable shortage of RAM - can't bring myself to go back to 1.5). Unlocked it to my T-mob contract SIM but haven't had the time to put one of the 2.2 roms on it yet. I certainly need to start looking at rooting and Apps2SD. Might try overclocking as well. Is the Modaco forum still the best place to start?

As you say, amazing phone for the price, I just wish I'd bought one when it first came out and they had OLED screens for the same price - last time I looked, used ones were going for £150 on ebay.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 05:35:05 am by reniformis »
The Past Is Only The Future With The Lights On

Offline fletcheri

• Kopite
« Reply #486 on: April 25, 2011, 12:36:15 pm »
Hi lads

Just to let you know that everything on the Android market can be gotten for free

Simply download the app at www.applanet.net on your phone and everything is free....
That's brilliant that mate thanks

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #487 on: April 25, 2011, 08:21:48 pm »
That's brilliant that mate thanks
It's is is fantastic,  although I couldn't get the SPB shell to work earlier. Kept asking me to uninstall and Reinstall from the market. Still great though. :-)

Offline Jimmy Conway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #488 on: April 25, 2011, 08:42:35 pm »
Got one myself about 3 weeks ago (after getting pissed off with trying to get Android 2.1 working properly on my T-mobile pulse because of the laughable shortage of RAM - can't bring myself to go back to 1.5). Unlocked it to my T-mob contract SIM but haven't had the time to put one of the 2.2 roms on it yet. I certainly need to start looking at rooting and Apps2SD. Might try overclocking as well. Is the Modaco forum still the best place to start?

As you say, amazing phone for the price, I just wish I'd bought one when it first came out and they had OLED screens for the same price - last time I looked, used ones were going for £150 on ebay.

Modoca is defo the best, great support and updates. If you like stock looking ROMs I would suggest the Swedish Sunset RLS5. Pretty standard so has no annoying images stuck on the roms by the developers.

A mate of mine is buying them from Orange, flashing 2.2 or even 2.3 and selling on Ebay for £180 a pop.

Offline Logistiks

• Anny Roader
  • Welsh Red!
« Reply #489 on: April 27, 2011, 01:39:17 pm »
Just rooted my Galaxy S to 2.3.3 - Oh my godddddddddddddddddddd! The difference is absolutely incredible. It's literally like having a new phone, love it!

Offline S.Red please

• SerbianRed ;)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Penny Lane there is a barber showing photographs
    • HFSG
« Reply #490 on: April 27, 2011, 02:15:05 pm »
Anyone fancy telling me what this root thing is? What it does? And could I o it to my HTC Desire without completely fucking up my phone?
Justice for the 97

Offline Mikuss

• Dynamo Midfielder
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • PSN- Mikuss
« Reply #491 on: April 27, 2011, 02:23:51 pm »
Anyone having things downloaded from applanet coming up saying the stuff is not licensed resulting on having to uninstall? Theres a few things on their that work fine, but for most of the online apps it's really just a way to trial them out if your unsure about buying them.

Offline Jimmy Conway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #492 on: April 27, 2011, 03:01:39 pm »
Anyone fancy telling me what this root thing is? What it does? And could I o it to my HTC Desire without completely fucking up my phone?

Hope this helps mate!

http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/top-10-reasons-to-root-your-android-phone-2/

Offline PaulV

• RAWK Pope
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #493 on: April 27, 2011, 03:18:06 pm »
Rooting your phone means giving your self root privileges; this is from the UNIX world where there is a user called root who has permissions to do anything to the system. Without rooting, you are a user of the system and not permitted to do some things which could potentially completely stuff up your device. Once rooted, there is an app  called SuperUser installed; your phone is still running as a normal user, but if an app requires root permissions, the SuperUser app asks you if you want to permit it.

If you want to root your phone and install a custom ROM, the first thing you want to do is to back it all up just in case of problems as depending on the custom ROM, you may need to wipe your system. I used MyBackup for this.

Note that as with jailbreaking an iPhone or hacking a PS3, it should work, but there are no guarantees.

There are many guides available to root and flash custom ROMs. One which seems reasonable is http://theunlockr.com/2010/09/20/how-to-root-the-htc-desire-unrevoked-method/

Basically, download the Unrevoked package and run it on your PC. This flashes the ClockworkMod to your phone.
Once your phone is rooted, you can install a custom ROM by placing the zip file for the ROM at the top level of your SD card, and powering on your phone to the bootloader. One thing to note is that I could not get Unrevoked to complete under Windows 7 64 bit. I had to burn an Ubuntu disk image  to CD and boot up into that before running the Linux version of Unrevoked.

I have an HTC Desire and I had two major issues with it.

1) Poor battery life, with the phone lasting around 20 hours before a recharge.
2) Continually running out of  application memory.

These have been improved after rooting. Once rooted, there are several excellent pieces of software that you can run, one of which is setCPU. This allows you to set up profiles which adjust the CPU speed on certain events. For example, you can turn the CPU speed right down when the display is off, which will extend battery life.

A2SD+ (hopefully installed as part of a custom ROM) which fools the system into installing applications onto the sdcard. There is no issue with widgets not working, and you do not have to rely on the developers enabling the app2sd feature.

I have tried the CyanogenMod and LeeDROID ROMs, and I am currently running LeeDROID.

CyanogenMod, based on Gingerbread, but no HTC Sense - runs pretty well, but I missed my HTC Sense widgets such as the clock and the contacts. One big thing I did not like was that zoom does not work (actually designed this way) on mobile versions of websites in the browser. Normal versions of websites are fine, but I just find the text on some mobile sites too small for me to read.

LeeDROID, based on Froyo, and includes HTC Sense. Slow bootup time, but once running seems pretty good. Pinch to zoom works on all sites, and I have loads of free space for apps.

I have since found the GoLauncher with the GoWeather and GoContacts widgets which I am running under LeeDROID in preference to the Sense launcher and widgets. Note that these work regardless of whether you are rooted or not. Some excellent themes and transition effects in the Go Launcher

Operationally, the Go Launcher allows you to do the following

1) have up to 9 screens
2) change the order of the screens
3) allow the screens to cycle so if you keep scrolling left, yo ueventually get back to the screen you were on.
4) Up to 15 applications on a scrolling icon dock at the bottom
5) App drawer which allows horizontal page by page scrolling and allows you to reorder and create folders.
6) Allows your desktop screens to rotate depending on the phone orientation
To many people have discovered "Football Manager" and now they all think they are Kenny but alas so many end up as Roy

Offline Macca_68

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #494 on: April 27, 2011, 05:31:32 pm »
What would people recommend as the best android phone out at the moment? Currently got the iphone 3g and contract is nearly up not sure whether to stick with iphone or change to one of the similar looking htc's. Swaying more towards a htc at the moment as I dont want to pay an extra £10 on the tariff just because its an iphone!

Is it easy to upload videos an stuff onto a androis as i have to convert torrents into mp4 to use on the iphone?

thanks!

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #495 on: April 27, 2011, 08:25:21 pm »
Can somebody explain what it is i need to do with the Handcent app to stop getting the random message when i first open the app? Thanks very much.

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #496 on: May 9, 2011, 04:21:51 pm »

Just got the Galaxy S2 a couple of days ago, the screen is amazing. My first Android phone, so I'll be spending quite a lot of time in this thread looking at the best apps to install.

I wish Gameloft would fix their store though - keeps redirecting me to "wapshop.gameloft.com" instead of their Android site, and going through Google just does the same - Gameloft knows best, obviously  ::)

Offline doc_antonio

• Legacy Fan
  • Always look on the bright side of life
« Reply #497 on: May 9, 2011, 05:39:21 pm »
one i came accross the other day for iphone was an app called photosynth (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/photosynth/id430065256?mt=8) its a pretty awesome app if i do say so, i then looked to see if android have a similar app.. turns out they do. its called photaf 3D http://www.photaf.com/ it takes photos of the room and stitches them together to make a panoramic view of the room/place you are, if I knew how to post an example I would  just took one of my back garden still a few bugs bt its quite impressive
"When I’ve got nothing better to do, I look down the league table to see how Everton are getting along." - Bill Shankly

Offline INABITSKI

• An own-nut-fondling manly man's wool. Possibly.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #498 on: May 9, 2011, 06:01:53 pm »
one i came accross the other day for iphone was an app called photosynth (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/photosynth/id430065256?mt=8) its a pretty awesome app if i do say so, i then looked to see if android have a similar app.. turns out they do. its called photaf 3D http://www.photaf.com/ it takes photos of the room and stitches them together to make a panoramic view of the room/place you are, if I knew how to post an example I would  just took one of my back garden still a few bugs bt its quite impressive

Could be very handy that. Can put it on SD card too which helps.

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #499 on: May 9, 2011, 09:44:43 pm »
Anyone here use HeyTell? Instant voice messaging. Quite good little app...

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #500 on: May 10, 2011, 01:31:49 pm »
Got to give this a nudge and Fanxxxxtastic the credit a truly super app from android. best £3 you can spend

Same, downloaded it last night, it's fantastic. Missing the first episodes of some shows like Boardwalk Empire and The Wire, but apart from that seems to have played everything I've tried so far.

Offline Walter Sobchak

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Calmer than you are
« Reply #501 on: May 11, 2011, 09:57:07 pm »
how do i get all my itunes music onto my an android phone?

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #502 on: May 11, 2011, 10:30:47 pm »
The Adidas Micoach app is now available on Android. Nice app!

Offline LOKKO

• Legacy Fan
  • what chu talkin' bout willis?
« Reply #503 on: May 11, 2011, 10:50:23 pm »

doubletwist does it i think

Offline all_funkt_up

• ....the valentino of the boards... really knows how to treat a lady.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget. Never Buy the Sun.
    • The Daily Punt
« Reply #504 on: May 12, 2011, 01:15:02 pm »
What would people recommend as the best android phone out at the moment? Currently got the iphone 3g and contract is nearly up not sure whether to stick with iphone or change to one of the similar looking htc's. Swaying more towards a htc at the moment as I dont want to pay an extra £10 on the tariff just because its an iphone!

Is it easy to upload videos an stuff onto a androis as i have to convert torrents into mp4 to use on the iphone?

thanks!

I have a HTC incredible s - bloody marvellous phone. The best phone i have ever had. It does the everyday stuff (calling, texting) really well. Its great for other stuff like watching youtube clips, browsing twitter as well. I am astonished at the battery life too. I use it every day for internet, music, playing daft games like angry birds etc - I last charged it yesterday morning (so thats about 30 hours ago) and I still have 42% battery.
Roy. Shut up. Just shut up.

Betting Banter and Stuff

http://thedailypunt.com/forum/

"Zlatan was released by Ajax because of his fucking attitude. Released by Juve cos just not good enough to play alongside Trezeguet.
He won't score or make an assist at

Offline Gigantic Lamb

• Seeks huge jar of mint sauce for quiet nights in. I need to think of a really really long Custom title. As long as possible... Any ideas PM me....I dont even like mint sauce....Whats your sauce? I am Saucy ........are you?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #505 on: May 12, 2011, 07:45:40 pm »

http://www.salling.com/
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 07:48:50 pm by Gigantic Lamb »
European Cups are like houses - Ultimately it's better to own than to rent.

http://twitter.com/giganticlamb

☆☆☆☆☆

Offline lfcss

• dull
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #506 on: May 12, 2011, 08:59:13 pm »
Will put this in here as well for those interested.Movie streaming

https://market.android.com/details?id=moviestream.kiio.es

Another movie streamer few more up to date films including Hanna and Scream 4 to give an example

https://market.android.com/details?id=appinventor.ai_doug172005.Watch_Movies_Now&feature=search_result
If there's a Mrs Skrtel she probably has to wear shinpads to bed.

Offline LFC_Stuart1988

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #507 on: May 13, 2011, 04:38:25 pm »
Anyone on here heard of the app called Music Box Pro?

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #508 on: May 14, 2011, 04:07:54 pm »
Just got the Samsung Galaxy S2, coming from an iPhone. To save me going through 13 pages, are there any must have apps? Already have a task manager so that's taken care of. Was looking for something like instagram for the iPhone?

Offline rednile

• Last one out
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 18 LT , 5 EC, 7 FAC, 8 LC, 3 UEFA,
« Reply #509 on: May 14, 2011, 04:10:19 pm »
Hi lads

Top man , brilliant that .
Spent sometimes in stormy weather                               

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #510 on: May 15, 2011, 01:13:05 pm »
For anyone on Grooveshark, which I imagine might be a few of us now Spotify's got all restrictive, search for TinyShark in the market. Free, and lets you listen to Grooveshark for free. You can search for music or import your playlists by putting your username and password in - seems to work perfectly!

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #511 on: May 15, 2011, 03:26:29 pm »
Over 12 months with the Desire and never really needed to root it but was getting rather annoyed at the lack of internal memory so just spent the last few days rooting my Desire and setting it up exactly how I want it and it's like a new phone again. Cyanogenmod 7.0.3 and SPB Shell 3D and it's like a new phone again. A dozen home screens and more if needed, plenty of internal memory and runs like a dream.
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline k.7

• Main Stander
« Reply #512 on: May 15, 2011, 03:45:17 pm »
On my HTC Desire HD
Using MIUI 1.5.6 v2 rom
Fantastic rom.. fast and good battery life

Rooting +1

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #513 on: May 15, 2011, 03:47:43 pm »
Over 12 months with the Desire and never really needed to root it but was getting rather annoyed at the lack of internal memory so just spent the last few days rooting my Desire and setting it up exactly how I want it and it's like a new phone again. Cyanogenmod 7.0.3 and SPB Shell 3D and it's like a new phone again. A dozen home screens and more if needed, plenty of internal memory and runs like a dream.
Original Desire? Which guide did you use?
Thanks.

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #514 on: May 16, 2011, 06:34:23 am »
Original Desire? Which guide did you use?
Thanks.

Yep, bought March 2010 I think, not long after they were released.

Here's the guide. It's a bit daunting at first, but I downloaded a few ROMs to try and ended up sticking with CM7 as it wasn't overloaded with stuff and I planned on using the SPB Shell 3D to run it. The only thing I didn't do was change the radio.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1016084

I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline ThisIsMickey

• Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #515 on: May 16, 2011, 02:05:50 pm »
I'm using HTC Incredible now and I absolutely love this phone. It's rooted and loaded with a Sense 2.0 based ROM. Loving it.
"100% of the shots you don't take don't go in"

Offline all_funkt_up

• ....the valentino of the boards... really knows how to treat a lady.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget. Never Buy the Sun.
    • The Daily Punt
« Reply #516 on: May 16, 2011, 04:12:37 pm »
I'm using HTC Incredible now and I absolutely love this phone. It's rooted and loaded with a Sense 2.0 based ROM. Loving it.

Have you got the new incredible s? or the older incredible mate?
Roy. Shut up. Just shut up.

Betting Banter and Stuff

http://thedailypunt.com/forum/

"Zlatan was released by Ajax because of his fucking attitude. Released by Juve cos just not good enough to play alongside Trezeguet.
He won't score or make an assist at

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #517 on: May 16, 2011, 07:23:21 pm »
Yep, bought March 2010 I think, not long after they were released.

Here's the guide. It's a bit daunting at first, but I downloaded a few ROMs to try and ended up sticking with CM7 as it wasn't overloaded with stuff and I planned on using the SPB Shell 3D to run it. The only thing I didn't do was change the radio.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1016084

Cheers mate will take a look. I need to root I know but always been a little daunted.

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #518 on: May 16, 2011, 10:29:00 pm »
Cheers mate will take a look. I need to root I know but always been a little daunted.

I was the same pal but I couldn't cope with the lack of memory any longer so just bit the bullet. Take care and it's actually a doddle. Did it a few times overall trying the different ROM's and doesn't take long. I did originally back my apps up with Titanium Back up but on the final go I just trimmed my SD card down a lot and reinstalled everything from the Market that I wanted. Took a while but got me through the night whilst the wife was watching shite.

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #519 on: May 17, 2011, 12:44:46 pm »
I was the same pal but I couldn't cope with the lack of memory any longer so just bit the bullet. Take care and it's actually a doddle. Did it a few times overall trying the different ROM's and doesn't take long. I did originally back my apps up with Titanium Back up but on the final go I just trimmed my SD card down a lot and reinstalled everything from the Market that I wanted. Took a while but got me through the night whilst the wife was watching shite.
It isn't just the phone we have in common then.  ;D