Author Topic: Bitter Blues  (Read 3021 times)

Offline cubanpeetz

• Main Stander
  • Red then Dead
    • wpfotos
Bitter Blues
« on: February 24, 2002, 04:30:39 pm »
Just wanted to put my feelings down in print and see if anyone else has the same opinion.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get over to the match yesterday as I was at the Gala game on wednesday and travelling from the Isle of Man twice in one week is a bit expensive. Instead I went to a local sports type bar which was showing the game live. The place was packed out and it was probably about 50/50 reds and blues.

Once the game was underway there was the usual good natured banter but things gradually started to turn ugly. I was stood infront of a group of 4 or 5 bluenoses and was utterly amazed at everything they started coming out with.
Firstly Xavier was a black c**t who was f***in sh*te and not worthy of ever wearing the blue badge, then mickey was the welsh t**t who they all agreed would be great if he got stretchered off even if it meant he never played for england again "cos f**kin up the reds season is more important than england doin well in the world cup"

When the blues scored you can probably guess the reaction (winning the lottery would be less exciting to them I reckon), beer was chucked around and a whole round of anti reds songs got an airing. Needless to say that I was totally relieved and ecstatic when Nic got it back to 1-1. The reds boys had a good sing song but not one of them was anti blues, (scouser tommy, we shall not be moved, we love u liverpool etc). At the end you would have thought they had just won the league given the reaction of 50% of the pub. Roll out the anti reds songs once again. I'm sure if I was in liverpool today there would be an open top bus tour around the city, with the blues proudly showing off their "point"

Anyway I believe the songs that their fans were singing at Anfield were even sicker than normal, takin special jibes at "le boss". Is their entire life devoted to trying to bring us down??? why don't they support their own team instead of just hating ours?

:upyours: :upyours: :upyours: :upyours: :upyours: :upyours:
« Last Edit: January 1, 1970, 01:00:00 am by 1017961200 »
"Ooooooooh you beauty..............what a hit son, what a hit"   Andy Bitter Gray 8/12/04

Offline Steve C

• Gone... but not forgotten - I hope some day you will join us
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Bitter Blues
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2002, 04:37:05 pm »
Its all our fault.

Pheeny

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2002, 06:06:00 pm »
Its all our fault.
Nice one ;D

Offline Barrettski

• No longer stuck to a goat or anything else with a beard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A teenage dream is so hard to beat
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2002, 06:12:04 pm »
cuban - yup, they're bitter and even the mild mannered ones know it. Song of the songs that the minority were singing at Anfield were sick...

...but have a read of my article, it seems I found a decent blue in the Upper Centenary. There is hope for them yet...
Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple - Bill Shankly.

Offline Steve C

• Gone... but not forgotten - I hope some day you will join us
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2002, 06:32:27 pm »
good stuff posted by 'Unknown Fan' on RAOTL last night. Some stuff worth thinking about here.

"The following is from a mate of mine who wishes to spend more time on the subject but agreed to let this passage go on the EFC/LFC boards whilst the subject is hot........

So, Liverpool fans are murdering bastards. Everton fans are the bitter, bitter blues. Everton blame Liverpool for their demise following the disgrace of Heyesel. Liverpool fans are appalled at the minutes silence that was so disrespectfully interrupted during the last Goodison derby.

And, sadly, that’s where we’re at. The bitterness that exists between Liverpool and Everton has deteriorated to such a level that even memorials so close to the hearts of each club are desecrated. A red scarf on the Dixie Dean statue, blue paint on the Hillsborough memorial stone. Is this how low the friendly rivalry has become? Dixie Dean’s stature is not exclusive to Everton football Club. Ask your father, your uncle or granddad about Dixie Dean and you’ll soon learn the truth about a legend who has only recently been acknowledged by his cub. And Hillsborough, an unparalleled tragedy that many still struggle to come to terms with. More Merseysiders made the tearful trip to Anfield in the aftermath of the disaster than any FA Cup, League Cup or Charity Shield football match between the Merseyside teams. Yes, Merseysiders – red and blue. Liverpool citizens united in grief and disbelief of the events on that fateful day and equally in awesome respect for one of the most legendary characters (Dixie) in the game of football.

The city of Liverpool staggered about in complete shock and bewilderment in the weeks and months following the Sheffield tragedy. Not since the May Blitz had a city felt so numb, confused, upset and angry. The feeling wasn’t exclusive to Liverpool Football Club and it’s supporters. No, the heavy burden was shared by Everton Football Club and its ‘blue shite’ following. The compassion, understanding and instinct of Messrs Dalglish and Harvey in the build up to the eventual FA Cup final is often forgotten. A local radio commentator, Uncle Clive, for those of you who remember, summed up the dignity and understanding of the two managers as they led their players onto the Wembley turf on that hot May day in 1989. As You’ll Never Walk Alone echoed around the stadium, Clive went on to say;

“Two men leading their sides out, whose quiet dignity and strong will has provided a kind of leadership that they’ve never been trained to exercise, but who’s standing has risen immeasurably in the face of human disaster. Because they both instinctively knew what to do and what to say. And they’ve led us all with their example.”

Liverpool and Everton walked onto the pitch side by side, just as they had since 15 April 1989. Indeed the first Goodison Derby following the disaster was the venue for that Liverpool banner, “The Kop thanks you – We Never Walked Alone”. The city of Liverpool had been torn apart with grief. The sentiments of that banner were clear, true and genuine. I defy even the hardest Everton supporter to have not appreciated such sentiments.

In my own opinion, and I stress that it is only my opinion, some of the so called bitterness exists solely through the medium of how you’re reading this. Yes, the Internet. Message Boards, Bulletin Boards or whatever you want to call them have contributed to the whole issue more than we all appreciate. At times such ‘forums’ can be the venue for the vilest, disgusting comments that you could wish to visit. Forums are a disturbing platform for people to ‘express’ their views and remain anonymous. This freely available anonymity is wide open to abuse, insult and sheer madness. The madness is at times beyond comprehension, and yet it fuels anger and response which only adds to the sick originators delight. How many times have we all compared a ‘forum’ to your local pub? I don’t need to tell you, it’s as clear as day. The fuckwits who effectively wind us all up would not last 2 minutes in your local boozer.

I’m naïve in the reason for the bitterness and I haven’t a clue of its origins. Three semi-final victories and two FA Cup final wins could well be the start. Alas, I think we know that there’s more to it than that. So what is it?

Personally, I don’t think anyone will understand it. It’s a unique rivalry if you ask me. I know fans from both sides of Stanley Park who will never set foot inside their opposing teams ground. Nowt wrong with that, it’s tradition for most of us. The ‘ground share’ possibility was quite rightly laughed off before they’d drawn up the plans. But, my Dad back in the sixties when football was ‘affordable’ would watch Liverpool one week, Everton the next. He doesn’t understand the current rivalry, but he hasn’t been to Anfield for more than ten years, so who is he to judge? Does the out of town syndrome come into play? Everyone was ‘local’ in his day, I’m not narrow-minded to suggest that the insultingly labelled ‘out of towners’ are in any way responsible for this breakdown in relations. Far from it, I’m just including the possibility of many, many such possibilities. And I personally think it’s an outside chance but one that merits consideration.

A friend of mine attended last season’s Goodison Derby and for the first time ever felt intimidated upon leaving the game. Fuck rivalry, that’s beyond belief. And it’s by no means exclusive to Everton. After both games, the thoroughfare of Stanley Park was not a place to be, from what I’ve been told.

So, all in all I’m perhaps being hypocritical in all that I’ve said. The Internet, at the moment, is such a minor relevance on how we view football and share our views. Yes, computers are becoming more accessible in everyday life, but, take your seat at Anfield or Goodison and take a factual headcount. 45,000 supporters. Of which, how many have access to a computer? How many have access to the Internet? How many could be even arsed ploughing through Football websites and more importantly football forums? And even if they do make the effort, how many bother saying anything? Yes, both Liverpool and Everton have worldwide support, but the burning issue is that of the Merseyside support, how many people offer their opinions on these forums? Take the RAOTL and Toffeeweb forums as an example. I’d generously guess that 100 individuals post messages on either forum. I’ll spread that generosity to 1000 if you like but it still has no significance on 45,000 who attend the grounds of either club on a regular basis.

Don’t believe the hype.

We’re Liverpool people, each and every one of us. We live in Liverpool. We work in Liverpool and we’re together all the time.

Derbies have always been confrontational affairs – the sixties and seventies would make a laughing stock of today’s trivial arguments.

It’s a game. No more no less.
It shouldn’t split families or relationships for the wrong reasons. And, trust me – that’s what’s happening. It’s getting that bad.

Good luck Everton in the FA Cup.
Good luck Liverpool in the Champions League."

Offline Barrettski

• No longer stuck to a goat or anything else with a beard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A teenage dream is so hard to beat
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2002, 06:58:54 pm »
That "Unknown Fan" wouldn't be John Williams would it??

If so, I look forward to the book... :), there's some great quotes in there and some home truths too.

Ta for posting Steve...
Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple - Bill Shankly.

Offline cubanpeetz

• Main Stander
  • Red then Dead
    • wpfotos
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2002, 08:07:10 pm »
I'm not tryin to say that we are all blameless but as Everton gets less and less hope of silverware, the rivalry seems to be getting more and more bitter? I don't think we ever got this bad with the Glams, even when they were sweeping all before them in the nineties
"Ooooooooh you beauty..............what a hit son, what a hit"   Andy Bitter Gray 8/12/04

Offline Adam

• Ballboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • A Liverbird Upon My Chest
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2002, 10:50:03 pm »
went to meet me mates after the game in the blue house and there were some nasty scenes. an lfc scarf was burnt, some liverpool fan who tried to get in (fool) was kicked unconscious outside the pub. kind of scenes we dont need.
She Loves You Yeh Yeh Yeh

Offline nokando

• Main Stander
  • You know you're fond of a little bit of Doris Day
    • mAc Guiding
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2002, 01:02:48 pm »
Needs to be posted on the "offal" Steve. If you won't, mind if I do?
All round the Fields of Aigburth Vale...