Author Topic: Xherdan Shaqiri - Sponsored by The Cube  (Read 448327 times)

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Xherdan Shaqiri - Confirmed!
« Reply #200 on: July 14, 2018, 12:49:55 am »
I'll be interested to see how his used.

Wish him all the best, certainly has some tools that are a point of difference and making him an intriguing option
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline Red Cez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stop Fucking Moaning!!!!
« Reply #201 on: July 14, 2018, 12:55:38 am »
Chuffed with this! Reckon he'll play a lot more than many people are assuming. Happy days!
Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.

Oscar Wilde

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: July 14, 2018, 01:08:20 am »
Chuffed with this! Reckon he'll play a lot more than many people are assuming.

We're hoping we won't but yeah... this.

Offline Chrismonster

• Anny Roader
  • Thou shall not wear socks with FlipFlops.
« Reply #203 on: July 14, 2018, 01:13:02 am »
Really, really interesting signing this!

From what I remember, he was one of the more exciting young talents in Europe a few years back, so when he joined Stoke City, I was more than a little surprised.
I assumed the reason he was no longer in an Inter Milan or Bayern shirt was because he was one of those players who was undoubtedly talented, but lacked the mentality to use it effectively at a big club, great for Youtube highlights, not so great in a 90 minute game.

If Klopp firmly believes Shaqiri has the mentality, intelligence and work rate to play for a top club like Liverpool, then I'm all for it, the lad has some real ability with a football at his feet and has always impressed me whenever I've watched Switzerland.           
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 01:17:19 am by Chrismonster »

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: July 14, 2018, 01:15:24 am »
I'll be interested to see how his used.

Wish him all the best, certainly has some tools that are a point of difference and making him an intriguing option

I can tell the excitement is bubbling out of you.

Offline Marty McFly

• He is not a number, he's a free man now
  • Legacy Fan
  • Has been busy in parallel dimensions and shit.
« Reply #205 on: July 14, 2018, 01:20:20 am »
Welcome to our wonderful Xherdan.

YNWA

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #206 on: July 14, 2018, 01:21:14 am »

... and then we had someone say Moses Simon was a target. Fellaini possibly on a bosman. They just lost it man. Proper frothing at the mouth.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #207 on: July 14, 2018, 01:23:55 am »
Great signing, bargain of a price. He's still quite young as well.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: July 14, 2018, 01:37:49 am »
He knows the league and he knows where the goal is. Bargain at that price.

Welcome Xherdan! All the best lad!
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: July 14, 2018, 01:47:50 am »
Thought this from Klopp was interesting: "“From our perspective, he is someone who makes a big difference to the squad and team, because he can fit in so many positions in our system. He gives us greater flexibility in how we can use our current players also. This is cool."
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: July 14, 2018, 01:50:45 am »
Fantastic adition, welcome!

Offline Capon Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
MAM!!! OUR BARRYS WEARING ME UNDIES AGAIN!! TELL HIM WILL YE!!

https://thedeadradiobroadcast.bandcamp.com/releases
https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com

Offline Capon Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!

Offline lorenzo

• Kopite
« Reply #213 on: July 14, 2018, 02:19:03 am »
Really pleased about this signing. Welcome to LFC, Mighty Mouse!

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #214 on: July 14, 2018, 02:30:24 am »
Thought this from Klopp was interesting: "“From our perspective, he is someone who makes a big difference to the squad and team, because he can fit in so many positions in our system. He gives us greater flexibility in how we can use our current players also. This is cool."

The "positions" in our system part is interesting because I disagree. Which means I am wrong obviously - which I like as it means there is knowledge to be acquired.

How I see it, he can't play many roles in our system, and the only position I can see is right forward. He isn't a striker or a false 9 and I cannot see him playing on the left. Unlike Mane who played on the right but is lethal shooting with his left, Shaqiri's most dangerous weapon is cutting in on his left. For me he is a left footed Coutinho in the sense of how you can use him in the front 3. Brazil toyed with using him on the left, he never really shone there. He only looks a real threat starting on that left spot as a roaming playmaker.

If we move to similar to the Dortmund system of a 4-2-3-1, and I proposed we might months ago if we got a Kehl/Bender like #6, then maybe that changes. Klopp often had a proper winger in the team on his stronger foot (Kuba/Großkreutz). I don't think you want him there though. Then he had a goalscorer to supplement the focal point striker. I don't think he is either of those things. But he would fit as a playmaker/long range threat starting in either #10 or the right forward role.

But even then, that is two positions and basically one role just changing the starting position. 
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 02:31:57 am by BabuYagu »

Offline Capon Debaser

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #215 on: July 14, 2018, 02:37:21 am »

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #216 on: July 14, 2018, 02:49:24 am »
The "positions" in our system part is interesting because I disagree. Which means I am wrong obviously - which I like as it means there is knowledge to be acquired.

How I see it, he can't play many roles in our system, and the only position I can see is right forward. He isn't a striker or a false 9 and I cannot see him playing on the left. Unlike Mane who played on the right but is lethal shooting with his left, Shaqiri's most dangerous weapon is cutting in on his left. For me he is a left footed Coutinho in the sense of how you can use him in the front 3. Brazil toyed with using him on the left, he never really shone there. He only looks a real threat starting on that left spot as a roaming playmaker.

If we move to similar to the Dortmund system of a 4-2-3-1, and I proposed we might months ago if we got a Kehl/Bender like #6, then maybe that changes. Klopp often had a proper winger in the team on his stronger foot (Kuba/Großkreutz). I don't think you want him there though. Then he had a goalscorer to supplement the focal point striker. I don't think he is either of those things. But he would fit as a playmaker/long range threat starting in either #10 or the right forward role.

But even then, that is two positions and basically one role just changing the starting position.

Not sure, Babu. Roles over positions, but skillsets dictate roles. He can press from the front and score, and has good acceleration, so the #9 spot is doable. He can create, assist and penetrate, as well as take accurate long shots, so anywhere in the AM line (#7, #10, #11) will work; and he can link play with his dribbling and long passing from the #8 role. So I can see where Klopp is coming from.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #217 on: July 14, 2018, 02:50:33 am »
The three additions so far will make such a huge difference for us.

Ward, Clyne, Matip, Klavan, Moreno, Gini, Milner, Hendo, Lallana, Shaqiri, Origi.

This is likely our second 11 as things stand. The turnaround in the quality and depth of our squad under Klopp, with his net spend still under 100 million during his time here is staggering.

Our first 11 was on par with this when he took over barring 1 Coutinho basically.

What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: July 14, 2018, 02:54:48 am »
Not sure, Babu. Roles over positions, but skillsets dictate roles. He can press from the front and score, and has good acceleration, so the #9 spot is doable. He can create, assist and penetrate, as well as take accurate long shots, so anywhere in the AM line (#7, #10, #11) will work; and he can link play with his dribbling and long passing from the #8 role. So I can see where Klopp is coming from.

I see whee you see where Klopp is coming from  ;D

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: July 14, 2018, 03:01:21 am »
Really happy for the signing, Shaqiri provide much need depth for our squad and he has great attitude and skill. I am sure Klopp will bring out the best from him.
Believer

Offline dimwit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • this is what depression will do to you
« Reply #220 on: July 14, 2018, 03:08:58 am »
The net spend boys are quiet tonight

But....

He's too cheap!!!! :'(

What am I supposed to say the next time I see the guys in the sandlot?

They said any transfer should be judged by the fee paid. That's why mr Iceland won the tranferwindow last summer. :butt

I'll end up wetting my nappy over this..

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: July 14, 2018, 03:10:31 am »
One interesting thing is that as far as I can figure this puts us at the limit of non-homegrown players for the season, at least until Origi and/or Grujic are sold or go off on loan. Guessing that'll probably be happening imminently if Fekir's genuinely a possibility.

Offline Oberyn_Martell

• Desperate for it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: July 14, 2018, 03:29:29 am »
he needs to stop smiling in pictures!

Good signing though, now let's go get Fekir.
Mods can you change my name to Melissa x

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #223 on: July 14, 2018, 03:36:19 am »
He did a little message for LFC TV, and he pronounced his last name as "Sha-k-iri"

PUNS ARE BACK ON!
Better looking than Samie.

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: July 14, 2018, 03:42:02 am »
Always thought Shaqiri a good player but the stat and analysis is an eye opener.  Love players with that little bit of "attitude", that bit "madness / wtf" -- not bad at all.

Really good summer we are having.

Offline sempi

• Sees Harry Styles Everywhere
  • Kopite
  • Gary, Gary Mac, he's got no hair but we don't care
« Reply #225 on: July 14, 2018, 04:11:34 am »
He did a little message for LFC TV, and he pronounced his last name as "Sha-k-iri"

PUNS ARE BACK ON!
Do his hips lie? Oh no that was Shakira!

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #226 on: July 14, 2018, 04:12:28 am »
Sturridge/Origi/Ings will probably fetch his price and wages if we can find a buyer.

This is one of those deals we'd always miss out on when other teams picked them up.
Ngolo Kante was another, 25 million release clause and Chelsea picked him up before anyone could have a sniff.

He'll probably be in rotation (I dont see him getting too many minutes in the first few months when he is adapting to our style) with any of the front 4 positions. I can see him capable of doing a job in either of those 4 spots. Still hard to believe how good our depth is starting to look. Have we ever had better depth in quality in the last 25 years?

Offline stoopid yank

• Legacy Fan
  • Bird is the Word
« Reply #227 on: July 14, 2018, 04:45:16 am »
But....

He's too cheap!!!! :'(

What am I supposed to say the next time I see the guys in the sandlot?

They said any transfer should be judged by the fee paid. That's why mr Iceland won the tranferwindow last summer. :butt

I'll end up wetting my nappy over this..

Funny but true. Weirdest RAWK transfer in a while. Been following this on the ARSE for weeks and opinions have been all over the spectrum from fat lazy hobbit to undervalued diamond in the rough. Hope it is the latter.
I don't always listen to Black Sabbath, but when I do, so do the neighbors.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: July 14, 2018, 04:49:55 am »
Is Shakira still with Pique? Otherwise Shakira & Shaqiri sounds good to me.

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #229 on: July 14, 2018, 05:01:56 am »
One interesting thing is that as far as I can figure this puts us at the limit of non-homegrown players for the season, at least until Origi and/or Grujic are sold or go off on loan. Guessing that'll probably be happening imminently if Fekir's genuinely a possibility.

Fabinho counts as home grown now having legally changed his name to Stan. "He can't be foreign, his name is Stan for fuck sake"

Chamberlain counts as club trained. We took a part time male body builder and trained him how to play football. At least you would think that was true reading his thread when his signed and then now.

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: July 14, 2018, 06:22:01 am »

Finally found a replacement for Karius.

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: July 14, 2018, 06:27:50 am »
Another fantastic video from MrBoywunder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiamJSLPT8U

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: July 14, 2018, 06:43:58 am »

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: July 14, 2018, 06:46:10 am »

thanks

that video just shows why stoke was relegated. the amount of times he put his teammate thru just to fuck it up at the final hurdle. how the fuck someone can miss a tap in too. 

there were also times where he seems to be the lone person attacking with hardly any teammates offering an option.

This is where i think he would love to play with our front 3. All mobile and creating options and opportunities for each other. I do think that it will take a while to see the best of him just like ox. maybe we will see a slimmer and more mobile cube in January.

shall post this again as question wasn't answered. How much are we actually offering him?

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #234 on: July 14, 2018, 06:51:54 am »
Welcome, Xherdan! Much needed depth and a quality player to boot. Klopp looks understandably buzzing.

Offline Samvice

• Anny Roader
« Reply #235 on: July 14, 2018, 06:55:04 am »
Welcome! I hope we'll see Mane - Salah - Shaqiri upfront against a high defense line

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: July 14, 2018, 07:00:05 am »
Purely as backup for Mane/Salah what do we think of Shaquiri?

Is he of required quality. 8 goals last year for that shite team.

If under £20m what would you guys say?

We need alternatives to our dynamic duo

page 65 in the general thread was fun to say the least. I'm pissed I didnt have any money on this as he was 20/1 at some stage. Oh well. Hope he does well for us
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 07:03:53 am by Clayton Bigsby »

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #237 on: July 14, 2018, 07:00:20 am »
indeed, personally i think we may use him as an out and out  winger from time to time , thus adding a different dimension to our attacks. This will undoubtedly give Mo an Bobby some alternative supply lines and different movement into the box.  Is Klopp looking for XS to help Mo with a 'hard act to follow' 2nd season?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 07:02:08 am by PAULG »
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline dirks digglers

• Kopite
« Reply #238 on: July 14, 2018, 07:27:46 am »

Some lovely stuff there. He clearly brings an ability to hit controlled accurate finishes with either foot while running at defences in and around the edge of the box. I like it when we add yet another type of threat to our attacking canon. 😁
If you can’t understand it without an explanation, you can’t understand it with an explanation.

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #239 on: July 14, 2018, 07:32:25 am »
A great start to the weekend, welcome lad.
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.