Author Topic: Walking away from Liverpool FC.... From Football itself....  (Read 32593 times)

Offline Kite

• The answer my friend, is blowing in the....
  • Legacy Fan
With the way the game is changing.  Have you considered walking away from Liverpool FC... From Football entirely.  Do you know anyone that already has ?

This isn't to discuss Hicks or DIC just what your thoughts are on the game and is there a breaking point for you and where are you in hitting that ?

I'm somewhere off that myself.  Although the very fact I would even consider it is a sign of the times.  I fear that football will have to collapse with all the money going for it ever to get back to being "like the good old days".

Who says fatties can't play football.......

Offline zed_4k

• Kopite
  • But how do we know it’s not sarcasm
Re: Walking away from Liverpool FC.... From Football itself....
« Reply #1 on: March 7, 2008, 08:42:39 pm »
can't see me doing that myself... there will be a massive void in my life.
"Up steps Shevchenko"   "Shevchenko now to keep Milan in the penalty shoot out"    "Shevchenko strikes it........"

Offline M(oaning) B(ecomes) E(mbarrassing)

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thoroughly thought through
« Reply #2 on: March 7, 2008, 08:43:11 pm »
Nearing it meself I fear.  The cost, the way we're treated like lepers and the morons who allow all this are all contributing to make me seriously consider if I carry on going. 
It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: March 7, 2008, 08:45:25 pm »
I did walk away from footy for a little while a few years ago. Not from LFC, and not completely from the game itself. But I didn't have the heart for it that I used to. And I was still playing then, so that made up for talking about it, watching it and reading about it. And I still don't have the same feelings about the game as I did pre Sky/Prem/Hype/Money days.
But if anything, all this chaos has, if anything, brought me even closer to our club.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: March 7, 2008, 08:45:33 pm »
I'd never completely walk away from the game, but if it continues the way it is heading, I won't take half as much interest in it as I did. It doesn't take as high a priority in my life anymore as it is and I am rather priced out of following the club home and away like a did for quite a while during the late 80s and early 90s anyway.

But, without football, life just wouldn't be the same. I'd have no reference point to talk to taxi drivers and other men I haven't spoken to before.

Offline JoeH

• Slightly obsessed with things up the bum - thinks it's funny.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: March 7, 2008, 08:46:59 pm »
My mate done it in sorts years ago during the Souness era,. he decided he had had enough and him and a few lads went to watch Tranmere, been going ever since. Some people just reach a point where they have had enough of paying through the nose and putting up with shite displays.

Offline dnkw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 7, 2008, 08:48:31 pm »
Yes - money rules and it's really distasteful. Hate it.

Offline SickBoy.no

• Kopite
« Reply #7 on: March 7, 2008, 08:49:53 pm »
There is no way I will ever stop supporting the club. A life without it would be empty and sad and I don't think anything could take it's place.

For football in general though my interest has cooled off the last years.
Knife WREEEENCH

Offline CarraIsBoss

• Legacy Fan
  • FTHC
« Reply #8 on: March 7, 2008, 08:52:30 pm »
Over this past year I've paid a lot less attention to other teams than I normally do. I used to watch pretty much everygame on tv but now I only ever watch Liverpool, I normally don't even watch any highlight shows.

I could never and would never walk away from Liverpool, but now I find myself listening to music when a year ago I'd be watching some game on sky.
So if ever a man should ask you for your business or your name
Tell him to go and fuck himself, tell his friends to do the same

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #9 on: March 7, 2008, 08:57:22 pm »
A bit like Fat Scouser above, I find the present crisis has turned me into a slavering fanatic. I'm not sure how I'll feel when the day comes that there is no scouse element to the team, but I think it may all change then. I find it heartening that the Liverpool way means so much to people. If Rafa gets the push and is replaced by the cheating lying egotist who is the antithesis of the Liverpool way, I will not feel the same way and I won't be able to do anything about the way I feel - cos yer can't can yer.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #10 on: March 7, 2008, 09:00:47 pm »
Nope, never!
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline JoeK210185

• Legacy Fan
  • The Dirk-horse, Benno Magic
« Reply #11 on: March 7, 2008, 09:00:54 pm »
Over this past year I've paid a lot less attention to other teams than I normally do. I used to watch pretty much everygame on tv but now I only ever watch Liverpool, I normally don't even watch any highlight shows.

I could never and would never walk away from Liverpool, but now I find myself listening to music when a year ago I'd be watching some game on sky.

Feel like that, started to do other things with my spare time, rather than watch a random match

Hope i get back to watchin every match going though :)
fuck u moyes you fucking bugeyed c*nt

YNWA
                              JFT96

Offline AllyouneedisRush

• One leg, musical nostrils, itchy crotch. Is actually Louis Walsh.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: March 7, 2008, 09:11:07 pm »
From the moment I was born I was a red, in a way I feel like I'm carrying the family batton... My daughters will be the same..... I could never walk away from the redmen...

Keep the faith.... you don't choose to be red, you are chosen...don't throw that away.....

YNWA
Justice 97 - YNWA

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #13 on: March 7, 2008, 09:11:10 pm »
It's a right laugh this thread!!

I love football, especially when Liverpool are playing. I love watching them live and on telly. As long as football exists I will offer my custom. It's like a drug, I don't care much for the supplier but as long as I get my fix I'm happy.

Offline KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
« Reply #14 on: March 7, 2008, 09:11:19 pm »
i suppose this season is the closest i've come to walking away, though not because of this season, just an accumilation of lots of littles over the corse of several seasons.

I'm quite privledged as i've seen us win the lot and not everyone can claim that.

I'd like to keep going to the new stadium gets built and to leave lfc in the way i found it, successful, well run, playing good football and pay on the gate style attendance.

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 7, 2008, 09:11:58 pm »
The breath of modern football reeks with a stench that grows by the season. I'll only let them take me for a ride for so long before I snap away and become a fan who soley watches games at home and the boozer. When the ST price for the Kop is over £900 I'll probably make my cushions comfy, make a cup of tea and become a resident armchair fan - simply put, other things in life take preference over that type of money.

---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline kopite789

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96
« Reply #16 on: March 7, 2008, 09:11:59 pm »
I've thought about it but i dont think i could ever do it. LFC are responsible for the best night of my life, just not something i could walk away from.
25th May 2005 - The greatest night in the history of the world. FACT

Twitter : @kopite789

Offline anfieldste

• Anny Roader
  • scouse an proud
« Reply #17 on: March 7, 2008, 09:12:01 pm »
i cant see myself changing .. but i have no kids yet but supose peoples situations could dictate if they are forced to make other things more a priorty then following the reds! even the bitters also

i know a few people who this has happend to..
we are the famous the famous kopites!!!!!
spirit of shankly member 188
st RTK

Offline SmallwoodRed

• Kopite
  • remember april 1989
« Reply #18 on: March 7, 2008, 09:13:28 pm »
Have become dissillusioned with the situation with Hicks, Gillett, Parry etc and the way we have become a money mans tug of war, but not with the game and the team. No way.
During the 80s i could have easily walked away from the game for other reasons -  we were treated like cattle in away games (penned into cages literally), fans had to put up with police treating us like criminals just for walking to a game in another city, government trying to make us carry id cards to get into a game. Then there was Heysel and Hillsborough and the failure with the latter for anyone to be held responsible. Then there was banana skins chucked at Digger. Lets face it - apart from the prices and having to sit things are really much much better. It was only success that kept me going in those days.

People like Hicks and Gillet and Sky and the tossers and the wags are all abhorent but the spirit still lives with the team and the club whatever. Thats what makes u no different from the guy who supports Northwich vics or Brentford or whoever.

Conclusion - no can never walk away. Just always try to make things better.

Offline game well and truly over

• Main Stander
  • Grow up, I haven't worn the shirt since I was 11
« Reply #19 on: March 7, 2008, 09:19:12 pm »
I freely admit that towards the end of Houllier's time in charge, the apathy that I had towards the game was frightening. From a lad that had stood on the Kop for over 15 years, I had become a young man that was leaning towards going into town on a Saturday afternoon, buying clothes and going on the ale early. The love and the buzz of going the game soon returned though after Benitez cam on board.

The thing for me now though is that I have absolutely fuck all in common with any of the players, even the local lads such as Steven and Carragher. These lads are multi, multi millionaires and have all the trappings that their status brings them. Do they have to get into work at 8:00 and not get home until after 6:00, do they struggle to pay the mortgage, do they worry that their kids will get into a good school? In short, no they don't. Due to their immense talent, they don't have to. I have nothing against them, who wouldn't say yes to £90K a week?

My old man was Kop regular for over 40 years, but he walked away when the premiership started, or soon after. He tells me stories of when the old Liverpool & Everton players getting the bus with the supporters to the game. I'm not stupid enough to think those days will ever return. But, as the gap between us the supporters and the players gets wider, I myself will one day walk away, just like my dad did......

Offline andeeeee

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #20 on: March 7, 2008, 09:28:06 pm »
every seasons gets harder when you see the price of a season ticket get closer to the 1k mark.

Offline phoenixblood

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #21 on: March 7, 2008, 09:34:28 pm »
Not on your frigging life, however "distasteful" it has become. I couldn't even if i wanted to....it's affair of the heart, i'm afraid.
Torres is fucking rubbish,played some decent football 2 years ago and nothing since!  If we buy him,we'll end up paying ridiculous amount of money on some overhyped shite of a player instead of focusing our attention(and money) on some truly world class strikers!!!

Offline Shanks1965

• SOS member 981
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 96 friends who we all miss...
« Reply #22 on: March 7, 2008, 09:39:19 pm »

I could never and would never walk away from Liverpool, but now I find myself listening to music reading RAWK when a year ago I'd be watching some game on sky.

Says it for me too.

I watch the reds (ofcourse) but very few other games now on tv. Football is not the game it was. For me Sky have ruined the game. Sure there are some top class players playing here now but the game has sold its soul to the Murdoch dollar and it will never be the same again. I still go to the game and I enjoy watching us but not like I used to. I have said when we go to a new stadium I'll stop going, it just wouldnt be the same. But after 37 years of watching us play that would be a hell of a big decision and I'd like to see us lift the title one more time before I hand my Season Ticket over to my son full time.

I'd miss the people I meet at the match too. Become quite friendly with a few of them over the years.
Seen more titles than he can remember...

Offline stonty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: March 7, 2008, 09:40:05 pm »
I can change my house, my job, my wife, but I'll always love/support Liverpool F C

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #24 on: March 7, 2008, 09:41:40 pm »
I can change my house, my job, my wife, but I'll always love/support Liverpool F C

Two things that are unconditional, your love for your kids and your club!

Offline Kite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: March 7, 2008, 09:42:22 pm »
I freely admit that towards the end of Houllier's time in charge, the apathy that I had towards the game was frightening. From a lad that had stood on the Kop for over 15 years, I had become a young man that was leaning towards going into town on a Saturday afternoon, buying clothes and going on the ale early. The love and the buzz of going the game soon returned though after Benitez cam on board.

The thing for me now though is that I have absolutely fuck all in common with any of the players, even the local lads such as Steven and Carragher. These lads are multi, multi millionaires and have all the trappings that their status brings them. Do they have to get into work at 8:00 and not get home until after 6:00, do they struggle to pay the mortgage, do they worry that their kids will get into a good school? In short, no they don't. Due to their immense talent, they don't have to. I have nothing against them, who wouldn't say yes to £90K a week?

My old man was Kop regular for over 40 years, but he walked away when the Premier League started, or soon after. He tells me stories of when the old Liverpool & Everton players getting the bus with the supporters to the game. I'm not stupid enough to think those days will ever return. But, as the gap between us the supporters and the players gets wider, I myself will one day walk away, just like my dad did......

Thats a really interesting point.  Aside from money pricing out your average fan the bond between player and fan is also cheapened to a consumer and a marketable asset.

Thanks for the post lads.  Its actually perking me up.

Offline rotistgeil

• Unflabbable in the face of lesbian scenes in public park.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #26 on: March 7, 2008, 09:47:03 pm »
Never, Liverpool and football just mean too much for me. It can put you down but boy, can it makes you smile and scream with Joy. That buzz is like a drug and I'll take it to the grave. World's fucked up anyway, so the little pleasures I can get I will take.

YNWA

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #27 on: March 7, 2008, 09:47:50 pm »
Have become dissillusioned with the situation with Hicks, Gillett, Parry etc and the way we have become a money mans tug of war, but not with the game and the team. No way.
During the 80s i could have easily walked away from the game for other reasons -  we were treated like cattle in away games (penned into cages literally), fans had to put up with police treating us like criminals just for walking to a game in another city, government trying to make us carry id cards to get into a game. Then there was Heysel and Hillsborough and the failure with the latter for anyone to be held responsible. Then there was banana skins chucked at Digger. Lets face it - apart from the prices and having to sit things are really much much better. It was only success that kept me going in those days.

People like Hicks and Gillet and Sky and the tossers and the wags are all abhorent but the spirit still lives with the team and the club whatever. Thats what makes u no different from the guy who supports Northwich vics or Brentford or whoever.

Conclusion - no can never walk away. Just always try to make things better.

You make a good point. Although aspects of the game have been sanitized, there are things about football in 2008 that are positive. The fact that I can sit at home on a Saturday afternoon and watch Liverpool away to Wigan on my laptop is great - I know this creates a world of critics because so many get to watch the game, but in many ways Liverpool is reaching out to people who would have, in the past, only ever have heard the name and never seen the team.

Nostalgia for a past golden era is, to some extent, disingenuous. Every era has its good and bad. However, the feeling you get when Liverpool score is timeless. Surely that is the measure of commitment and loyalty. Once that raw emotion disappears then the love for the game has extinguished.

Offline AndrewLFC_1971

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: March 7, 2008, 09:54:46 pm »
I couldn't walk away from Liverpool FC, the game has changed and a new breed of know nothing fan has emerged from what used to be a vibrant and very knowledgable Kop. Should we change with it and stop hankering after the past ? I say no, just be grateful that you were there back then and you KNOW what it was like to be part of a truly inspiring space. I couldn't walk away from Liverpool FC.

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: March 7, 2008, 09:55:28 pm »
With the way the game is changing.  Have you considered walking away from Liverpool FC... From Football entirely.  Do you know anyone that already has ?

This isn't to discuss Hicks or DIC just what your thoughts are on the game and is there a breaking point for you and where are you in hitting that ?

I'm somewhere off that myself.  Although the very fact I would even consider it is a sign of the times.  I fear that football will have to collapse with all the money going for it ever to get back to being "like the good old days".

Don't talk so soft, supporters support their team.  I support mine with everything I have got, and look how fucking shite we are.  Ohh, and when you talk about "the good old days", would that be the 20's?  cos they were ours.    :D

Offline redpride9

• Legacy Fan
  • Sonic Booom !!
« Reply #30 on: March 7, 2008, 09:55:57 pm »
Don't really feel like walking away from footy as such, but I don't enjoy playing it much as i used to, and I don't like watching it as much as i used too......

I used to watch any game live on TV and travel to watch the reds play.. I do miss the good old days, like the 86,90 world cup, and the great teams we once had...

I think the standard of top flight football has gone down, as players have become faster and play a more direct style with less passing,....

My love for the reds will always remain, but my love for the game is decreasing... its too commercial
these days...

decent thread lad !!

;)
We won it 5 times........

Offline Kite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: March 7, 2008, 10:00:31 pm »
Don't talk so soft, supporters support their team.  I support mine with everything I have got, and look how fucking shite we are.  Ohh, and when you talk about "the good old days", would that be the 20's?  cos they were ours.    :D

LMHO.... The 20's.  Feck if I was around in the 20's I wouldn't be in here starting threads.  I'd be in some home playing Betty on the Wii and checking her arse out when its her turn to bowl.

I'd be pretending to be senile so I could play lots of pranks.

** Betty is fictional and I'm not thinking about the hotpot making one.

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: March 7, 2008, 10:02:42 pm »

Aye Paul... and good 7000th post too  :wave

No doubt I'm feeling eve :wave more dis :wavetant from the game.. not necessarily Liverpool though; I love all I associate with the city and the Club, the ma :wavetes etc, but I can't claim to love the football as much as I used to.

Yes, w :wavehatever happe :wavens, from August until May I'll go to the 10 games I always did, and the rest I'll listen to on the radio, read the papers with urgency etc.  But I can't honestly say I care about the sport much anymore.

Maybe its an age thing... but I do honestly feel that all the increasing crap we've put up with since 1992 has accelerated the age when you start to step away.  20 years ago it was 65 when you put away the hero worship, now its 50.

Offline halewood andy

• Kemlynite
« Reply #33 on: March 7, 2008, 10:10:20 pm »
I've thought about it, but in reality i'm never going to do it!

Offline Shanks1965

• SOS member 981
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 96 friends who we all miss...
« Reply #34 on: March 7, 2008, 10:11:37 pm »
Maybe its an age thing... but I do honestly feel that all the increasing crap we've put up with since 1992 has accelerated the age when you start to step away.  20 years ago it was 65 when you put away the hero worship, now its 50.
Shit, I'm on borrowed time then.

Thing is when I get with a crowd of lads singing I still give it out with the best of them. Singing whilst watching the reds is like a drug and when I'm doing it, I feel like that young lad who stood all grown up on the Kop for the first time all those years ago.

That feeling of giving your all to support the boys never goes away even when you're old enough to be your hero's dad.
Seen more titles than he can remember...

Offline the jesus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #35 on: March 7, 2008, 10:13:39 pm »
Hicks stays and game 39 would make me consider it.
"We just stand beside each other, and help each other. And we make sure that what we’re doing, we’re doing correctly"- Kenny

“When you’re lost in a fog you must stick together. Then you don’t get lost. If there’s one secret to Liverpool, that’s it.” - Bob

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: March 7, 2008, 10:29:54 pm »
Never, Liverpool and football just mean too much for me. It can put you down but boy, can it makes you smile and scream with Joy. That buzz is like a drug and I'll take it to the grave. World's fucked up anyway, so the little pleasures I can get I will take.

YNWA

What he said

Offline Djibriliant

• Last of the Great Romantics. All-year-round-twattish-dresser.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's Friday theeeeen, Saturday Sunday WHAT!?
« Reply #37 on: March 7, 2008, 10:33:12 pm »
Over the past few weeks I haven't been looking forward to every game like I usually do, but there is noway I can take myself away from football and LFC
He wasn't perfect, he made mistakes. But he was genuine. He had the best interests of the club at heart, and gave us a plethora of successful teams that we should have been thankful for.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #38 on: March 7, 2008, 10:34:37 pm »

Thats pretty much how it is for me mate.

Offline lfc245

• Main Stander
« Reply #39 on: March 7, 2008, 11:07:57 pm »
Couldn't and wouldn't want to do it . Not completely, anyway. Because of my love of LFC rather than for football as a whole.

But  I could see a scenario where I don't put as much of my time and money as I have done before. The main reason being fans being taken for granted, ripped off and the proper hardcore of fans at clubs being marginalised.