Author Topic: Steven Gerrard  (Read 330784 times)

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Steven Gerrard
« Reply #1640 on: September 17, 2011, 02:18:58 pm »
Isn't that massively short term thinking though, wouldn't a fit and recuperated Gerrard being fit for the next two or three years outweigh any short term gain against Spurs. I would much rather he started and played sixty minutes against Brighton or Wolves than risk him doing a warm up, then sitting on the bench with the risk of his groin tightening and being thrown into the action at a minute or so's notice.
If he's played a 60 minute practice game without reaction then you would think his groin was ok, that is up to the medical people.

If he is ok then 15-20 minutes off the bench can only be beneficial to his comeback. I wouldn't be bringing him back because we need him, I'd bring him back because we can and 15-20 minutes of his quality could be telling.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1641 on: September 17, 2011, 03:11:21 pm »
If he's played a 60 minute practice game without reaction then you would think his groin was ok, that is up to the medical people.

If he is ok then 15-20 minutes off the bench can only be beneficial to his comeback. I wouldn't be bringing him back because we need him, I'd bring him back because we can and 15-20 minutes of his quality could be telling.

I just don't see how any player after not playing for over six months can be fit enough to be considered for a return to action after one weeks full training.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1642 on: September 17, 2011, 03:15:29 pm »
I agree, and will he be afforded any patience when he does begin with substitute appearances here and there? People seem to think he's going to spring from the bench and slam in a 30-yarder whereas the reality is he's going to have a hard slog recovering fitness and form.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1643 on: September 17, 2011, 03:22:47 pm »
I agree, and will he be afforded any patience when he does begin with substitute appearances here and there? People seem to think he's going to spring from the bench and slam in a 30-yarder whereas the reality is he's going to have a hard slog recovering fitness and form.

His next couple of games should be Brighton and Wolves. Hopefully he'll have plenty of opportunity to rack up a couple of goals/assists in those and regain that match sharpness (which for me is mostly regaining the 'feel' of the ball and confidence). That'd be setting himself up for the Mancs/Everton nicely as well.

The thing with Gerrard is that although he isn't very good at setting the pace of a team's passing, he utterly thrives in the pass and move game. The team this season is so fluid I only remember Redmen playing that way for a couple of months in Xabi's last season and apart from that it's old recordings of the late 80s games.

Gerrard comes into the side with Lucas and Adam doing a great job in the middle and the formidable Suarez and creative Downing in attack. He'll slot perfectly in between those two areas and I have a feeling it won't take him long to get straight back into it. This team will make it easier for him.

I just hope he comes in and goes with how the team's playing, rather than the others seeing he's back and making it the Steven Gerrard show. If that happens, I can see it taking a bit longer and it'll definitely be a hard slog in more ways than one.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline s_andrews89

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #1644 on: September 17, 2011, 03:47:53 pm »

Agree wholeheartedly that we need to be patient, but would any of us be surprised if his first touch is a 30 yard belter?!

Offline nocturnalvin

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96.
« Reply #1645 on: September 18, 2011, 09:43:19 am »
Right. We think Kenny will give Stevie playing time just so to get him fit. Not a chance. A win is the priority, not Steven Gerrard's fitness.

Offline kasperoff

• Legacy Fan
  • What happened to Sabu?
« Reply #1646 on: September 18, 2011, 09:54:59 am »
Be mental to play him today. Far too important to be taking risk with.
I think the same, can't stand him, but if you could have a £1million pound cheque or steve bruces head hollowed out and filled with pound coins which would you have?

Offline NorthamptonKopite

• Non-
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #1647 on: September 18, 2011, 10:21:13 am »
I just don't see how any player after not playing for over six months can be fit enough to be considered for a return to action after one weeks full training.

He's been in full training for longer than a week. It was before the guys got back from internationals that he returned. Nearly two weeks now.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #1648 on: September 18, 2011, 10:23:55 am »
Is he in the squad?

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1649 on: September 18, 2011, 11:03:41 am »
He's been in full training for longer than a week. It was before the guys got back from internationals that he returned. Nearly two weeks now.

It's not mate.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/gerrard-my-fitness-latest
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline FernandoTourettes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1650 on: September 18, 2011, 11:38:05 am »
I'd have him on the bench with a view of playing the last 10 mins irrespective of the score.
I think the first half only against Brighton is an ideal return imo.

Really? Even if we're a goal down? I wouldn't want him feeling the responsibility of busting a gut to salvage something for us. Johnson's injury last week should have taught us that.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1651 on: September 18, 2011, 11:51:55 am »
I'd e happy enough with him being on the bench today. Dont think he will be though.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1652 on: September 18, 2011, 11:57:36 am »
If he's on the bench, its because the medical experts at the club have decided that he's up to it, and Kenny has decided that he could bring something to the team regardless of a lack of match fitness, and a probable bit of rustiness. What's the problem?

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1653 on: September 18, 2011, 12:08:01 pm »
If he's on the bench, its because the medical experts at the club have decided that he's up to it, and Kenny has decided that he could bring something to the team regardless of a lack of match fitness, and a probable bit of rustiness. What's the problem?

The medical people said the same about Glen Johnson and look how that turned out. With Groin injuries or hamstrings for me it makes sense to let the player do a full warm up start the game and then come off after say 60 minutes.

Doing a warm up before the game then sitting on the bench letting the muscles get cold and tight and then coming on at a moments notice is far more risky.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline lfcmaster

• of pith
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1654 on: September 18, 2011, 12:56:36 pm »
The medical people said the same about Glen Johnson and look how that turned out. With Groin injuries or hamstrings for me it makes sense to let the player do a full warm up start the game and then come off after say 60 minutes.

Doing a warm up before the game then sitting on the bench letting the muscles get cold and tight and then coming on at a moments notice is far more risky.

agree 100% makes more sense for gerrard to play 45 or 50 mins against brighton on wednesday night

would be good to see coates start on wednesday aswell

Offline andspecks

• avers would probably help my analysis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1655 on: September 18, 2011, 03:30:57 pm »
Need him back. When was the last time we made a comeback without him in the team?  :butt

Offline liverpooll

• I am right, you are wrong, despite all the evidence to the contrary. Just does not get it. Also does not get that he does not get it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1656 on: September 18, 2011, 03:34:42 pm »
Right, surely now any sensible fans would stop the nonsense " we are better without gerrard", he is our best player, our inspiration, and when he plays, other players have more time as less focus.

Definatly need him, Adam is bit part player, will need to be sold as this guy just had one golden season. So does not make anysense in having him effectively replace Merieles who always will be a better player

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1657 on: September 18, 2011, 05:16:51 pm »
Cannot wait until he returns. The rest are not really worthy.

Offline reddd10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1658 on: September 18, 2011, 05:31:21 pm »
Give him 45 at brighton.

Offline Didi_ram

• Legacy Fan
  • Only 9900 kms away
« Reply #1659 on: September 18, 2011, 05:58:57 pm »
Brighton some playing time,and hopefully the start against Wolves.

Offline Noh

• Main Stander
« Reply #1660 on: September 18, 2011, 06:02:44 pm »
he hadn't played the game for 6 months. don't expect too much of him
Once a Reds, Always Reds!

Offline GoodStuff

• Kopite
« Reply #1661 on: September 18, 2011, 06:07:17 pm »
Haha. I remember a few weeks ago 'oh Gerrard isn't going to walk back into THIS team'... hahahahaha ohhhh this great team which as i said then drew against Sunderland, beat a shocking Arsenal with some magic at then end from two substitues, one who is sadly no longer with us, a good victory against a team who haven't at Anfield in ages... And Steven Gerrard, our greatest ever player, one of the best players in the world, praised by the likes of Zidane and Hiddink will not walk into a team which includes the mighty Charlie Adam, the prodigy Jordan Henderson, the white Drogba Andy Carroll....

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1662 on: September 18, 2011, 06:35:00 pm »
Haha. I remember a few weeks ago 'oh Gerrard isn't going to walk back into THIS team'... hahahahaha ohhhh this great team which as i said then drew against Sunderland, beat a shocking Arsenal with some magic at then end from two substitues, one who is sadly no longer with us, a good victory against a team who haven't at Anfield in ages... And Steven Gerrard, our greatest ever player, one of the best players in the world, praised by the likes of Zidane and Hiddink will not walk into a team which includes the mighty Charlie Adam, the prodigy Jordan Henderson, the white Drogba Andy Carroll....

Our supporters backing our new signings people.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline callanlfc5times

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1663 on: September 18, 2011, 06:42:10 pm »
No game time against Brighton and a small appearance on the weekend please. I want him brought back very slowly and very carefully if he gets injured from playing too much too early I will be mega pissed off.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96
JUSTICE FOR THE 96
JUSTICE FOR THE 96
JUSTICE
FOR THE 96
JUSTICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline GoodStuff

• Kopite
« Reply #1664 on: September 18, 2011, 06:43:41 pm »
Our supporters backing our new signings people.

I am backing all our signings. I would give anything to see them do well. But doubt that will happen with Adam, or Carroll and how long will we have to wait for Henderson and if we are going to have to wait so long why is he starting like hes already the player we want him to be?

I fully support Enrique, Suarez, Bellamy, Coates. And Downing too. Thought looking at that man Mata today and the past 2 Chelsea games....

Offline pcch7

• Fuck off and do some work you lazy fops
  • Legacy Fan
  • There can be only one and he is I.
« Reply #1665 on: September 18, 2011, 06:43:44 pm »
Come back Steven Gerrard. You are our only hope.
Don't fuck with Sheryl Crow. Or Russel Crow. Or the guy from the crow. Or crows.

Best staying away from Leslie Crowther, too.... just in case.

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #1666 on: September 18, 2011, 06:55:58 pm »
Come back stevie. We're STILL a one man team ;D
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline Danyaals Kop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • allez les rouges
« Reply #1667 on: September 18, 2011, 07:59:05 pm »
Today might have been a blessing in disguise. That Charlie Adam red card mean they're wont be any confusion on who will be replaced and Gerrard will resume his normal role without any rotation.

Good to know he's gonna be back and drive the team by grabbing the fucking horns and dragging them forward.

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1668 on: September 18, 2011, 08:42:43 pm »
You'd swear we never played a bad game with Gerrard in the team. It's also a little naive to think he's going to come back and be in top form straight away.

But yeah, the fact we're still having to rely on him, given his form and injuries, and the amount of money we've spent, is pretty uninspiring.

Offline RaveDave

• Kopite
« Reply #1669 on: September 18, 2011, 08:47:53 pm »
Too many people are forgetting how little Gerrard has contributed to the team this last 2 years, i sincerely hope he comes back like the Gerrard of old, but some realism is needed.

Offline stroller

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #1670 on: September 18, 2011, 08:53:00 pm »
Steven Gerrard is not the answer, just as a 2 man team was not the answer. The answer is a team of 11 decent players knowing each others game and playing like a team in a fluid quick pass & move style. That takes some getting used to, with or without a talisman

Offline Dick Emery

• Legacy Fan
  • You are awful but I like you
« Reply #1671 on: September 18, 2011, 09:09:25 pm »
I don't think Gerrard will help. He hasn't got the discipline to play centre midfield and lacks tactical awareness. He's not a patch on Lucas and Gerrard would do well to study Lucas's game to see what a top player is like. So, centre midfield is out but then he hasn't got the creativity to play further forward. He hasn't got Aquilani's variety of pass, for example. He also can't play the pass and move football that Kenny has brought in. I can't see a role for Gerrard.

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #1672 on: September 18, 2011, 09:27:50 pm »
I don't think Gerrard will help. He hasn't got the discipline to play centre midfield and lacks tactical awareness. He's not a patch on Lucas and Gerrard would do well to study Lucas's game to see what a top player is like. So, centre midfield is out but then he hasn't got the creativity to play further forward. He hasn't got Aquilani's variety of pass, for example. He also can't play the pass and move football that Kenny has brought in. I can't see a role for Gerrard.
That cheered me up :lmao
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #1673 on: September 18, 2011, 11:22:29 pm »
Gerrard will bring confidence to the team and pass to the right players in space. Sometimes I feel that Downing isn't found in the final 3rd enough and neither is suarez. Gerrard will push us forward as a team.

Can't wait until he's back. Him and glen will change the team.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Online Red Eyed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1674 on: September 18, 2011, 11:25:42 pm »
Hopefully he will get 30 mins or so against brighton, I'd love to see him play in the hole with Suarez leading the line.
"Just try, if we can do it, wonderful and if not, then fail in the most beautiful way"

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #1675 on: September 18, 2011, 11:27:12 pm »
He also can't play the pass and move football that Kenny has brought in. I can't see a role for Gerrard.

Ha ha ha :lmao
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Breitner

• Charles 'Charlie' Charles says: "No more tactics God damn you. This is Association Football!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1676 on: September 18, 2011, 11:27:23 pm »
Love Stevie but it's a shit state of affairs if we're still so heavily reliant on him to drag us out of a slump
If you can't trust Kenny, you need to find another club, seriously.

Offline Bondred

• Wouldn't know a palindrome from an emordnilap. Hi, I'm Bond. Blames Bond.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1677 on: September 18, 2011, 11:28:56 pm »

what fucking planet are you on?

Is there room for all of us?
'If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains.'

Offline Breitner

• Charles 'Charlie' Charles says: "No more tactics God damn you. This is Association Football!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1678 on: September 18, 2011, 11:31:56 pm »
what fucking planet are you on?

Is there room for all of us?

I agree with him, he should just retire
If you can't trust Kenny, you need to find another club, seriously.

Offline Arcadian

• Makes pissed even when sense!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Be the change you want to see in the world...
« Reply #1679 on: September 18, 2011, 11:52:25 pm »

Missed Stevie today.

*                         *                           *                            *                         *