Author Topic: The Anfield Wrap  (Read 3299047 times)

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #27800 on: January 18, 2023, 12:45:01 pm »
Amazing how a win makes it all feel better Happy Days
Yeah. I've taken a day off from calling out TAW for their cosy relationship with John Henry and Henderfraud!

Offline Big Bamber

• Having a lovely time, living the best time of his life
  • Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #27801 on: January 18, 2023, 01:10:42 pm »
Yeah. I've taken a day off from calling out TAW for their cosy relationship with John Henry and Henderfraud!

Don't you know the time to call out the ref is after a win!  :)

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #27802 on: January 18, 2023, 01:28:05 pm »
Don't you know the time to call out the ref is after a win!  :)
Ha. I have that tattooed on my stomach

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27803 on: January 18, 2023, 03:54:21 pm »
Apparently doing an interview with Pearce on the ownership at 4pm unless I'm mistaken?

I expect it will be more or less what he has already said, but also knowing he won't be privy to the most important info so guess it will be a non-update about the nothing that we all know.

Offline TwitterJayy

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #27804 on: January 18, 2023, 04:09:53 pm »
Apparently doing an interview with Pearce on the ownership at 4pm unless I'm mistaken?

I expect it will be more or less what he has already said, but also knowing he won't be privy to the most important info so guess it will be a non-update about the nothing that we all know.
Whatever Pearce says, I would take with a pinch of salt.

Doesn’t really have a good record of late. Really ever since the VVD saga, feels like the club tell him less. However if it was coming from Paul Joyce, then I’d believe it.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #27805 on: January 19, 2023, 12:52:35 pm »
Whatever Pearce says, I would take with a pinch of salt.

Doesn’t really have a good record of late. Really ever since the VVD saga, feels like the club tell him less. However if it was coming from Paul Joyce, then I’d believe it.
Can you explain your workings here? Why is Pearce not to be taken at his word?

I have seen folk on social media dismiss him, which seems to be because he often dismisses unfounded rumours about transfers and ownership.

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27806 on: January 19, 2023, 04:28:06 pm »
Hi folks,
just a big thumbs up for The Review team. The Wolves review was excellent. Some really interesting thoughts and takes. Good to have you back Cope.

Online courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #27807 on: January 20, 2023, 11:40:14 am »

I have seen folk on social media dismiss him, which seems to be because he often dismisses unfounded rumours about transfers and ownership.

Basically that. All a bit odd I feel.

He tells basically the truth and gets slated for it if we don't buy anyone.

Interesting thread from Craig from TAW a few days ago showing how subscriptions and hits go way up when we make a signing vrs say interviewing Klopp.

Shows what sells and what a lot of fans want to pay for to listen to.

You can see why so many twitter accounts and podcasts etc push any random transfer rumour etc.

Also shits all over the point that TAW don't critique FSG as they get access.
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27808 on: January 20, 2023, 03:54:26 pm »
Hi folks,
just a big thumbs up for The Review team. The Wolves review was excellent. Some really interesting thoughts and takes. Good to have you back Cope.

Seconded.

And as someone who's been occasionally critical of the Pink since Neil stopped doing it, the one on Tuesday night was great stuff. Best for ages.

Offline TwitterJayy

• Kopite
« Reply #27809 on: January 20, 2023, 03:59:06 pm »

Quite simple, he’s the last to know on potential signings. (Look at our last few signings)
Club works in quite, so it’s very easy to dismiss anything.

Joyce is the UK journo for LFC that is the most reliable.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #27810 on: January 20, 2023, 04:26:32 pm »
Favourite part of the week is a Friday afternoon dog walk listening to the Friday Show.

The post match stuff hasn’t been as enjoyable to listen to of late!

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27811 on: January 20, 2023, 09:12:32 pm »
Favourite part of the week is a Friday afternoon dog walk listening to the Friday Show.

The post match stuff hasn’t been as enjoyable to listen to of late!

Same for me! Headphones in, get the steps in, come home feeling a bit better about the Reds.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #27812 on: January 21, 2023, 08:04:14 am »
Quite simple, he’s the last to know on potential signings. (Look at our last few signings)
Club works in quite, so it’s very easy to dismiss anything.

Joyce is the UK journo for LFC that is the most reliable.
The last to know? He spends most of his time being briefed directly by the club as means of dismissing twitter fanboys who jump all over random transfer and ownership rumours.

You have pricks on twitter with Qatari flags retweeting invented stories and next they’re telling a patch journalist they ‘know nothing’.

The occupational hazard of being a patch journalist. They all say it. Mel Reddy, Tony Evans, Tony Barrett, Kris Walsh over the years: they report what the club briefs in the moment. Events change and yesterday’s news is wrong. But that isn’t bad or dishonest journalism.

Pearce gets so much more correct than twitter yet random accounts are given more credence by some because they invent tantalising stories.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #27813 on: January 25, 2023, 03:00:07 pm »
The recent shows have been outstanding, in particular the unwrapped show and especially the room they had for three strikes.

Mr. Phil and Rob as you'd expect measured and sensible on it, Mo and Fuad being on point and great.

Well done to all involved

Offline decosabute

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27814 on: January 25, 2023, 08:20:39 pm »
The recent shows have been outstanding, in particular the unwrapped show and especially the room they had for three strikes.

Mr. Phil and Rob as you'd expect measured and sensible on it, Mo and Fuad being on point and great.

Well done to all involved

Agree some of the recent shows have been really good (enjoying the big picture Gutters these days), but I'm wondering about Three Strikes - could see it's mentioned both here and in Neil's email, but can't see it in my podcast feed. Is there one out?

Edit - can see it's also listed on the website, but not getting it in my usual podcast feed (Podcast Addict app).
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 08:23:07 pm by decosabute »

Offline craiglfc7

• Main Stander
    • My twitter
« Reply #27815 on: January 29, 2023, 06:58:21 pm »
Basically that. All a bit odd I feel.

He tells basically the truth and gets slated for it if we don't buy anyone.

Interesting thread from Craig from TAW a few days ago showing how subscriptions and hits go way up when we make a signing vrs say interviewing Klopp.

Shows what sells and what a lot of fans want to pay for to listen to.

You can see why so many twitter accounts and podcasts etc push any random transfer rumour etc.

Also shits all over the point that TAW don't critique FSG as they get access.

In case it's of interest in here, the thread was quoting Neil's piece on the ownership here - https://mailchi.mp/theanfieldwrap/taw-daily-run-down-smfjjjc1sc-1368756 and is copy and pasted below...

There is an idea that “access” is so valuable to fan media. What they mean is interviews with say the players/Jurgen. But Interviews don’t do subscriptions for us. They’re nice content for subscribers but they don’t add new ones…so what does?

It’s transfers. Our three best days over the past season and a half are the following…

1) Gakpo signing
2) Melo signing
3) Diaz signing

Signing Arthur Melo did more subscriptions than an interview with Klopp and interview with Jota did *combined*

The idea that fan media needs “access” misses the point of fan media. Our numbers tells us it’s about reacting to moments that we all get excited about - games, trophies, transfers etc and sharing what it was like in the stands when Liverpool for instance beat United 5-0.

To add to this in a way I couldn't on twitter - One look at mainstream sports media/content will tell you that access *is* definitely massive...What Formula One have done with Drive to Survive, the NFL's 'Helmets off' marketing strategy, even closer to home what LFC TV have done where we get to see the personalities of the footballers, behind the scenes at Anfield every game and regular interviews etc. What makes all of this brilliant is definitely access.

But from a business decision it would be a dreadful idea to make a decision to put interviews or 'access' at the centre of our offering or have them be so important because it isn't what you all bought into in the first place, it's not what makes The Anfield Wrap what it is and has always been (and they also don't help us grow).

What fan media has is authenticity, it has people you buy into, it has the ability to create content in its own way with very little constraints.

So it's mad to think a (small) corner of the internet think TAW would jeopardise that and throw its integrity out the window to cosy up with an ownership for interviews. As an aside it doesn't even work like that, the owners are in Boston, the club and the people at the club are in Liverpool - it's separate, would be surprised if FSG could pick any of us out of a line up.

For subscriptions, it would be far better if they stuck their hand in their pockets. Also it would make no sense to try to move towards what LFC TV do, or try to compete with them on that front when we can't win. We offer something completely different. And if anything the mainstream has moved towards what fan media does rather than the other way - you see that on Sky Sports, on BT, LFC's new podcast etc.

In my own opinion and without anyone ever saying it I've always thought a big part of my job is to understand all of the things that made people buy into TAW at the beginning and ensure it doesn't deviate away too much from that while it evolves. To centre everything around what subscriber surveys tell us to make sure we give you what you want while pushing us to be better. That is sharing the experience from inside the ground, making you feel closer to it all if you're far away, reacting as fans to everything LFC, celebrating the city, supporting initiatives and when necessary standing for fan causes etc etc etc. All that just my opinion.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #27816 on: January 29, 2023, 07:48:20 pm »
Cheers Craig. Must feel like weird times at the moment after years of pretty much constant joy (I’ve erased most of 20/21 out of my mind). But even that season, it felt like on the whole that the fan base was united and sympathetic to the problems the club had.

Feels like a bit of a shitshow in recent times. Not sure if all the nonsense you’ve been getting affects you (collectively) or you’re able to brush it all off. Hopefully it’s the latter.

As a former match going fan, once from the area but now miles away, I think you’re all still doing a great job. Even when results are crap and I don’t always want to listen to everything, I still enjoy what I can face. As with anything online, the loudest, most negative comments probably drown out the saner voices, or the ones who don’t comment much. Keep up the good work.

Offline craiglfc7

• Main Stander
    • My twitter
« Reply #27817 on: January 29, 2023, 10:47:49 pm »
Cheers Craig. Must feel like weird times at the moment after years of pretty much constant joy (I’ve erased most of 20/21 out of my mind). But even that season, it felt like on the whole that the fan base was united and sympathetic to the problems the club had.

Feels like a bit of a shitshow in recent times. Not sure if all the nonsense you’ve been getting affects you (collectively) or you’re able to brush it all off. Hopefully it’s the latter.

As a former match going fan, once from the area but now miles away, I think you’re all still doing a great job. Even when results are crap and I don’t always want to listen to everything, I still enjoy what I can face. As with anything online, the loudest, most negative comments probably drown out the saner voices, or the ones who don’t comment much. Keep up the good work.

To be honest any FSG/TAW stuff online doesn’t affect me in the slightest. We don’t waste time discussing it in work. I see our mentions and even when any ownership stuff in general blows up (like at the moment) It’s a very small minority of really strange accounts that mention us out of hundreds/thousands mentions each day on what is the eighth most used social platform. We are at the match, it’s not hard to find what bars we’re in, we’re very easy to find and in real life I’ve only ever had nice things said about TAW or constructive feedback. Never anyone kicking off, slating us etc. Twitter isn’t real life,in the same way hashtagging constantly isn’t activism. What would affect me is if it was our subscribers or listeners - any of our people.

What isn’t helping anyone on Twitter at the moment is the new “for you” feature. It means we’re all seeing those that we don’t follow who shout the loudest. They’re seeing their engagement fly and so tweeting more and shouting louder. Others deciding to do the same.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 11:18:51 pm by craiglfc7 »

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #27818 on: January 29, 2023, 11:16:09 pm »
Good stuff, cheers. And yeah, that new feature is shite. I was oblivious to the whole SOS statement fallout until I stumbled on it there. Lesson learnt!

Offline craiglfc7

• Main Stander
    • My twitter
« Reply #27819 on: January 29, 2023, 11:19:56 pm »
Good stuff, cheers. And yeah, that new feature is shite. I was oblivious to the whole SOS statement fallout until I stumbled on it there. Lesson learnt!

I honestly thought I had missed some of the statement when I saw some of the shouts being used against them. It’s madness.

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27820 on: January 31, 2023, 12:20:30 pm »
Any chance of getting an expert or two on to do a deep dive on the injury situation at the club this season? Would certainly be interesting given the increasing problems we are suffering

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #27821 on: January 31, 2023, 12:23:10 pm »
Any chance of getting an expert or two on to do a deep dive on the injury situation at the club this season? Would certainly be interesting given the increasing problems we are suffering

Ray the fitness egg?! :D

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27822 on: January 31, 2023, 12:24:09 pm »
Ray the fitness egg?! :D

Haha the thought did cross my mind after posting

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #27823 on: February 2, 2023, 12:28:46 pm »

The correlation between the clubs currently utilising Zone7 injury monitoring software and suffering extensive injury issues (Rangers, Hull City, Real Salt Lake City and ourselves) is interesting, to say the least...
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27824 on: February 2, 2023, 12:55:59 pm »
Just listened to the Big Question show and everyone seemed to be on the same page of "We need to know what's next. How can they plan without knowing what the ownership situation will look like?"

If the club was significantly funded by a wealthy owner who was now planning to sell, I could understand the feeling/worry that the club could have the tap turned off in the summer. Think of the uncertaintly around Chelsea when Abramovich was looking to sell.

This isn't the case with us. We've always been self-sufficient under FSG; we spend what we earn.

This will be the way the club is planning for the summer and should not be influenced by what the owners are planning on doing.

If there is a change in ownership or partial investment, I would posit that this would only serve to increase transfer funds, allowing the club to look at targets that perhaps were previously deemed out of reach or on the road-map for a future window (maybe someone like Gvardiol, as an example).

Offline decosabute

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27825 on: February 2, 2023, 02:56:17 pm »
Found Neil's constant Fabinho bashing on the post match pint a bit weird to be honest. He's probably been the worst of a very bad bunch this season, but where was that energy after Hendo v Leicester for example? I mean trying to pretend Hendo was anything other than average when he came on yesterday is pretty funny ... they've both been utterly shit this season and don't deserve to be a part of our squad going forward. Their legs have gone and the game has moved beyond their styles.

Nah Fabinho vs Brighton was on a completely different level. Henderson hasn't had a good season by any stretch, but nowhere near as big a drop as Fabinho, and was fine when he came on vs Brighton too.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #27826 on: February 2, 2023, 05:27:31 pm »
Just listened to the Big Question show and everyone seemed to be on the same page of "We need to know what's next. How can they plan without knowing what the ownership situation will look like?"

I have heard a few times the argument that the players would feel a bit unsure of things considering the ownership question...examples given as how it would be for any other job you or I may have and it filtering down to your job performance

But I don't think that applies in football. Why would the owner effect what the players do on a day to day? It is so far removed....our manager is one of the best in the world not likely to being sacked off and as long as he likes how you perform and wants to keep you I doubt a new owner would influence that. If anything it should be an incentive to become indispensable to him, which is the opposite of what we are seeing with some of our lads this season
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline redhokie8

• Kopite
« Reply #27827 on: February 5, 2023, 12:11:24 am »
Not sure we can hide behind the facts anymore, there is a direct correlation between Robbo leaving TAW and the team doing poorly! Would love him back on some shows to see if we can turn this thing around!

Robbo back = European Champions?

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #27828 on: February 6, 2023, 02:18:57 pm »
Not sure we can hide behind the facts anymore, there is a direct correlation between Robbo leaving TAW and the team doing poorly! Would love him back on some shows to see if we can turn this thing around!

Robbo back = European Champions?

Robbo and Paul Cope are launching their own Podcast:
https://twitter.com/LateChallenge

:D

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #27829 on: February 6, 2023, 02:29:54 pm »
Saw that and will give it a listen. From what Paul Cope said he’s still down to do some stuff on TAW as well.

Will give it a listen as always really enjoyed Robbo’s thoughts on most topics. Room for both (although avoiding most football chat from anyone at this moment!).

Online jacobs chains

• Legacy Fan
  • The fight will not be attaining dreams.
« Reply #27830 on: February 6, 2023, 06:10:09 pm »
Never thought I'd say this but here goes.

Come on lads get that City apologist on, I'm dying to hear his opinions on today's events  :D

Offline craiglfc7

• Main Stander
    • My twitter
« Reply #27831 on: February 7, 2023, 10:13:37 am »
Saw that and will give it a listen. From what Paul Cope said he’s still down to do some stuff on TAW as well.

Will give it a listen as always really enjoyed Robbo’s thoughts on most topics. Room for both (although avoiding most football chat from anyone at this moment!).

Certainly. Cope was great on the review yesterday.

On not listening when we're shit, our podcasts are at their best at the moment in my opinion!

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #27832 on: February 7, 2023, 11:33:52 am »

On not listening when we're shit, our podcasts are at their best at the moment in my opinion!

Need some impromptu AFQs after losses like we had in the Covid season.
:D

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #27833 on: February 7, 2023, 11:35:50 am »

It’s not you, it’s me. :D

Normally listen to the post match stuff after a bad result to help get the therapy I need and help me get over it. But just can’t face it as much this season for whatever reason. Nothing to do with your output!

Offline Schmohawk

• Anny Roader
« Reply #27834 on: February 7, 2023, 12:20:31 pm »

Come on lads get that City apologist on, I'm dying to hear his opinions on today's events  :D
Yes please!

Offline decosabute

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27835 on: February 7, 2023, 04:07:25 pm »

Yes! I am very much in favour of this.

Try only talking about the football now David Mooney.

Offline decosabute

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27836 on: February 7, 2023, 04:10:33 pm »

Agree on both things. Neil has been missed in the post-Wolves meltdown, but Cope was a really good replacement.

Just wondering if there's going to be a reaction show on the Man City news? Given how earth-shattering it could be for us, I was disappointed when the only show that popped up today was a Lower League one. Not to be an impatient bellend, but just dying to hear a bit of discussion on it.

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27837 on: February 7, 2023, 05:45:07 pm »
What goes on with The Anfield Wrap on tour thing,i see they sold out Detroit and DC at the end of March already,gotta be more than just chatting/moaning about the state of the club  right?

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #27838 on: February 7, 2023, 05:56:37 pm »
What goes on with The Anfield Wrap on tour thing,i see they sold out Detroit and DC at the end of March already,gotta be more than just chatting/moaning about the state of the club  right?

Sue Cook will also be making an appearance.

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27839 on: February 7, 2023, 06:52:06 pm »
Sue Cook will also be making an appearance.

I may as well say this now, Sue Cook has pulled out....
I am a man of few words.....any questions?