Author Topic: The Anfield Wrap  (Read 3304370 times)

Online decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #28160 on: May 30, 2023, 07:30:06 am »
Is it just me, or was there no show since the Pink on Sunday? - not getting anything in my feed (Podcast Addict for Android).

Online BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #28161 on: May 30, 2023, 07:49:22 am »
Is it just me, or was there no show since the Pink on Sunday? - not getting anything in my feed (Podcast Addict for Android).
Nothing on the anniversary of Heysel. They’re back today.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Online decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28162 on: May 30, 2023, 10:25:29 am »
Nothing on the anniversary of Heysel. They’re back today.

Ah, sorry. Didn't realise.

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #28163 on: June 1, 2023, 03:15:55 pm »
Rafa pod was superb. Love the way Docking speaks about that era, his passion really comes through on that period especially.

Now PLEASE do one on Hodgson. I know Nevin, Robbo and Ben aren't around much anymore but the Hodge Files were top quality content - would happily listen to some other contributors eviscerating the bloke for an hour or so.

It was good BUT I had one major gripe.

The lads kept getting years/dates/fixtures mixed up.

Neil said that he loved that equaliser by Mellor v Arsenal. It was the winner.

Surely it can't be that hard for someone to print out the seasons results from wiki for each season for reference.

Dunno, maybe I'm being too harsh just think that the little details like that would make it better.
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline koptommy93

• Legacy Fan
  • @tharris113
« Reply #28164 on: June 1, 2023, 10:47:45 pm »
Guttman was fucking hilarious on the gutter today.
I for one welcome our new insect overloads

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28165 on: June 1, 2023, 11:02:44 pm »

Hey Mickey!

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #28166 on: June 1, 2023, 11:53:14 pm »
Hey Mickey!
:lmao

It gives him such a great platform to talk utter shite… it’s marvellous fun.

Need to know when he’s off on his holidays, because that’s always when signings happen.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #28167 on: June 2, 2023, 01:02:50 pm »
The format of the Season Review shows don't work for me.

Having one person speak at length for 15-20 minutes is a bit of a drain. Especially when there doesn't seem to be any great structure to it - basically feels like rambling at length with a lot of repetition.

Do enjoy the retrospective look at the season just past as there's lots to chew over but the first Review show just released felt like a massive chore unfortunately.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28168 on: June 2, 2023, 03:27:14 pm »

Very very very good. And a good chat in general!

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #28169 on: June 2, 2023, 03:59:41 pm »
I will say that if Gutmann is on a show I`ll always listen to it just because it`s him.

I think he`s essential to TAW. Top tier.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #28170 on: June 2, 2023, 09:06:36 pm »
My two penneth…

The first season review show was an interesting listen with Adam Smith’s contribution a particular point of discussion given his positioning on Liverpool Football Club and his contemplative existential musings about the state of the sport in 2023.

Ostensibly, I have no issue about such a stance in terms of how football is now cynically exploited and utilised as a pawn in wider-geopolitical priorities; dictators and despotic princes cleansing their reputations through sporting success and distraction. Modern day fans offering bad faith false equivalency to somehow justify the brutality of the regime that owns their beloved club.

It’s difficult to ignore how this direction of travel has not only turned football into a political device but has also fundamentally distorted the notion of competition with the richest clubs now operating with a total absence of risk, nerves and peril that should come with such an endeavour.

However, even with all this pollution and contamination I’m still completely drawn to the sport and - more specifically - towards Liverpool Football Club. Not because I’ve indulged in some sort of Faustian pact to allow me to continue this godless pursuit - I’m not to blame for how football has evolved.

No.

Football grabbed me at the age of five as I was bought my first Panini sticker album in 1985. I’ve been a total obsessive ever since. The fact that Murdoch, Oligarchs, Richard Keys, fraudulent Americans and Middle Eastern rulers have all gained from the sport isn’t my fault. The fact my commonality with these evil-doers is football isn’t my fault. The fact they’ve maligned the sport I love beyond all recognition isn’t my fault.

Furthermore, it’s not football’s fault either. Football doesn’t exist in a vacuum that’s free from global influences. It’s simply one of the best vehicles for bastards to pursue their evil ambitions. If football didn’t exist it would be the next best thing that they dug into.

Football isn’t to blame for this stuff. Humans are to blame for this stuff. Football - at its core and at its best - is still the absolute mustard. Never forget this.

When Liverpool win it still feels lovely. The warm glow of three points is a thing of awe and wonder. Never gets old. That’s because it sits deep beneath the surface. It’s within you and is an extension of your identity - as daft as that may well be. I’m in no position to walk away from such a fundamental essence of who I’ve become after 40+ years.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #28171 on: June 3, 2023, 11:41:06 am »
My two penneth…

The first season review show was an interesting listen with Adam Smith’s contribution a particular point of discussion given his positioning on Liverpool Football Club and his contemplative existential musings about the state of the sport in 2023.

Ostensibly, I have no issue about such a stance in terms of how football is now cynically exploited and utilised as a pawn in wider-geopolitical priorities; dictators and despotic princes cleansing their reputations through sporting success and distraction. Modern day fans offering bad faith false equivalency to somehow justify the brutality of the regime that owns their beloved club.

It’s difficult to ignore how this direction of travel has not only turned football into a political device but has also fundamentally distorted the notion of competition with the richest clubs now operating with a total absence of risk, nerves and peril that should come with such an endeavour.

However, even with all this pollution and contamination I’m still completely drawn to the sport and - more specifically - towards Liverpool Football Club. Not because I’ve indulged in some sort of Faustian pact to allow me to continue this godless pursuit - I’m not to blame for how football has evolved.

No.

Football grabbed me at the age of five as I was bought my first Panini sticker album in 1985. I’ve been a total obsessive ever since. The fact that Murdoch, Oligarchs, Richard Keys, fraudulent Americans and Middle Eastern rulers have all gained from the sport isn’t my fault. The fact my commonality with these evil-doers is football isn’t my fault. The fact they’ve maligned the sport I love beyond all recognition isn’t my fault.

Furthermore, it’s not football’s fault either. Football doesn’t exist in a vacuum that’s free from global influences. It’s simply one of the best vehicles for bastards to pursue their evil ambitions. If football didn’t exist it would be the next best thing that they dug into.

Football isn’t to blame for this stuff. Humans are to blame for this stuff. Football - at its core and at its best - is still the absolute mustard. Never forget this.

When Liverpool win it still feels lovely. The warm glow of three points is a thing of awe and wonder. Never gets old. That’s because it sits deep beneath the surface. It’s within you and is an extension of your identity - as daft as that may well be. I’m in no position to walk away from such a fundamental essence of who I’ve become after 40+ years.

I agreed a lot with what Adam Smith said.

I’ve really little love for current football. I still follow Liverpool and still care but last few years I’ve become less attached to it. I probably went 20 odd years of hardly missing a home game. Massive part of my life into my 20’s.

My biggest issue with modern football is Manchester City. I grew up watching United win every season. That was easier to take than the recent seasons. Mainly because football seems more unfair in the last few seasons than it has before. We’ve won despite that and that’s been great but football is a load less fun now than it was in the past.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #28172 on: June 3, 2023, 12:24:13 pm »

I’ve really little love for current football. I still follow Liverpool and still care but last few years I’ve become less attached to it. I probably went 20 odd years of hardly missing a home game. Massive part of my life into my 20’s.

My biggest issue with modern football is Manchester City. I grew up watching United win every season. That was easier to take than the recent seasons. Mainly because football seems more unfair in the last few seasons than it has before. We’ve won despite that and that’s been great but football is a load less fun now than it was in the past.
I hear all that, I really do. But I also think it’s often just an age thing with many people. Life gets busier with the various trappings of being older so football fails to carry quite the same sparkle it once did. It’s not like being young and it being virtually the only thing that makes the world turn.

A dampening enthusiasm is pretty normal and I appreciate City’s unfair prominence adds to the dampening. However, in some ways City’s awfulness actually makes it easier to get over the losses. City’s success leaves you so cold it almost doesn’t count. Unlike if United or Everton were to be the dominant force - that’d be nightmarish. For me, this is still all within the context of it mattering to me.

This is a personal perspective - nobody is wrong here.

Offline koptommy93

• Legacy Fan
  • @tharris113
« Reply #28173 on: June 3, 2023, 02:44:10 pm »
The format of the Season Review shows don't work for me.

Having one person speak at length for 15-20 minutes is a bit of a drain. Especially when there doesn't seem to be any great structure to it - basically feels like rambling at length with a lot of repetition.

Do enjoy the retrospective look at the season just past as there's lots to chew over but the first Review show just released felt like a massive chore unfortunately.

I agree, and most of the points are covered by whoever the first person is.

Offline koptommy93

• Legacy Fan
  • @tharris113
« Reply #28174 on: June 3, 2023, 02:47:02 pm »

I have a lot of sympathy for what Adam said but if you've nothing to say about the season other than how little you cared, maybe don't go on a season review show. TAW have had lots of shows talking in length about what Adam mentioned, and he's right of course that football has been hijacked in many ways, this just didn't feel like the best place for that kind of chat.

Offline Big Bamber

• Having a lovely time, living the best time of his life
  • Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #28175 on: June 4, 2023, 07:32:40 pm »
I’m glad Adam used his time to air the rotten turn football has taken. My enthusiasm for the game, the team, the coverage, and podcasts has been trampled by the “Man City” disease, my catch-all term for all that’s gone wrong in the game in recent years. I’ve been supporting the Reds since the 70s so this isn’t a natural dampening as I got older, this is something different and awful and the cure is not obvious. Until it arrives I’m investing less emotion, time, and money in LFC and football. I honestly feel better for it but not everyone might.

Offline Koplord

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #28176 on: June 5, 2023, 09:57:34 am »
Everything Adam said very much resonated with me. Feel like I am at a cross roads with football and it all hinges on what happens with the cheating bastards. If they get off or have minimal punishment that’s it for me because I just don’t see any point putting in more energy or money into this thing that is rigged.

State ownership is what has taken away the enjoyment for the sport and should never be allowed. Add into that what happened in Paris really opened my eyes being caught in the worst of it. Not only do you have to have your emotions destroyed by a soulless sport washing project but you also get treated like the lowest scum of the earth by those who are no more than event organisers.
If I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor.

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #28177 on: June 5, 2023, 12:26:01 pm »
The Ali McGovern desert island goals was fantastic on the women's team

Online Sonofthewind

• Main Stander
  • Cheers like
« Reply #28178 on: June 5, 2023, 05:29:27 pm »
More from Meg the dog please.

Online klopptopia

• Anny Roader
« Reply #28179 on: June 5, 2023, 09:25:03 pm »
Everything Adam said very much resonated with me. Feel like I am at a cross roads with football and it all hinges on what happens with the cheating bastards. If they get off or have minimal punishment that’s it for me because I just don’t see any point putting in more energy or money into this thing that is rigged.

State ownership is what has taken away the enjoyment for the sport and should never be allowed. Add into that what happened in Paris really opened my eyes being caught in the worst of it. Not only do you have to have your emotions destroyed by a soulless sport washing project but you also get treated like the lowest scum of the earth by those who are no more than event organisers.

Just listened today and I felt exactly the same. I dont usually agree/align Adams viewpoints strangely but this is/was spot on for me, even the point of if he doesnt know if the source of it all is the fact we have been poor this season or a genral sporting feeling.

Ive found myself not bothering to watch many other games outside of Liverpool probably since 13/14 in truth as its felt like a rigged game. I was always though bothered about our games (even though I am not a matchgoer as such) and would hardly miss any. Now im more "meh" to our matches and results and dont even bother with other games at all.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28180 on: June 6, 2023, 02:58:29 am »
Midnight caller was great. As was the video review with Neil and Kav. Really great both.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28181 on: June 6, 2023, 08:13:08 am »
I’m glad Adam used his time to air the rotten turn football has taken. My enthusiasm for the game, the team, the coverage, and podcasts has been trampled by the “Man City” disease, my catch-all term for all that’s gone wrong in the game in recent years. I’ve been supporting the Reds since the 70s so this isn’t a natural dampening as I got older, this is something different and awful and the cure is not obvious. Until it arrives I’m investing less emotion, time, and money in LFC and football. I honestly feel better for it but not everyone might.
With you all the way mate. I just barely bother these days. I know going back, people would have their own natural jumping off point when they stopped going. I remember old relatives going on about the money etc. but they still retained an interest and loved talking about the team and the game in general.

I still love the game of football itself. But I can’t allow myself to invest much time, money or emotion into what’s become an unregulated free for all, protected by those involved seemingly to ensure the trough stays full for them. Fuck that.

Offline craiglfc7

• Main Stander
    • My twitter
« Reply #28182 on: June 6, 2023, 03:19:41 pm »
Transfer Committee Game for anyone who would like to play along

https://we.tl/t-hElXp1mqej

Offline Big Bamber

• Having a lovely time, living the best time of his life
  • Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #28183 on: June 6, 2023, 05:04:59 pm »

Today's golf news hasn't helped....

Offline Schmohawk

• Anny Roader
« Reply #28184 on: June 9, 2023, 10:12:25 am »
Where is Mr Gutmann these days? We need him to track planes and present the rumours that only he can find.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #28185 on: June 9, 2023, 10:18:03 am »
Where is Mr Gutmann these days? We need him to track planes and present the rumours that only he can find.

Think they said on a show this week that he's on holiday.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Schmohawk

• Anny Roader
« Reply #28186 on: June 9, 2023, 10:32:10 am »
Holiday during silly season? That's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!

I hope he returns soon with a spring in his step.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #28187 on: June 9, 2023, 02:17:11 pm »
He's on TAW Live today.
:D

Offline craiglfc7

• Main Stander
    • My twitter
« Reply #28188 on: June 9, 2023, 02:44:44 pm »
Holiday during silly season? That's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!

I hope he returns soon with a spring in his step.

Tell us about it! He was away for a few days. Back now! TAW Live is a Gutter today and he will be on all Gutters for the next month or so.

Also - The Gabri Veiga Special we've just released is fucking brilliant, if you're into all that. Just a really interesting insight into his background, Iago Aspas as his hero, keeping Celta up from relegation and his character/role.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28189 on: June 15, 2023, 02:03:31 am »
After hearing about the typical chaos at the Champions League final you're happy we didn't get to the final.
UEFA are shite - it's an ordeal for everyone, and especially the old, young, and the infirm.

The reason of course is there is no planning and certainly no fan-input and the only objective for UEFA is to make money and look after the VIPS. And as Dan explains none of the stakeholders communicate. And the UEFA people are incompetent liars that hold the fans in contempt.

The Water example is great. One message to bring water as there was nowhere to buy water there - And then have strict and heavy-handed confiscation of water as "you can't bring your own water" - beggars belief.

As a Liverpool fan the only good thing* is it's another club's fans that now get to see what it's like.

* obviously it's not a good thing for anyone to suffer but the more powerful clubs that start calling out the incompetence the better

Offline koptommy93

• Legacy Fan
  • @tharris113
« Reply #28190 on: June 15, 2023, 11:41:29 am »
Watching the fixture reaction show. Don't agree with Harriet that we have a shit record at Stamford Bridge, we haven't lost there in ages and have won a bunch of times.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #28191 on: June 15, 2023, 12:24:43 pm »
Watching the fixture reaction show. Don't agree with Harriet that we have a shit record at Stamford Bridge, we haven't lost there in ages and have won a bunch of times.

When was our last defeat there? Just before Kiev when Giroud scored. Feel like our record there under Klopp has been pretty strong though. Drawn the last couple but won there in the Covid season and when we win the league. Drew there in 18/19. Won there in Klopp’s first couple of seasons too.

Since he’s been manager:

Won 4
Drew 2
Lost 1

I think. Plus a defeat in the FA Cup.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #28192 on: June 15, 2023, 12:39:02 pm »
I think the large volume of draws when you include both cup finals really sticks in the brain.

The 2-2 draw was particularly bad, especially considering the way the season finished (and also remembering we couldn't beat them at home vs 10 men).

Last draw which felt good against them was the 1-1 in 18/19 with Studge's goal.
:D

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #28193 on: June 15, 2023, 07:53:11 pm »
It feels similar to the 16/17 season when we got Arsenal away. A toughy but the win was attainable.

Online Sonofthewind

• Main Stander
  • Cheers like
« Reply #28194 on: June 15, 2023, 09:27:29 pm »
I've really enjoyed the "In their shoes" shows. I don't remember previous years doing all other 19 teams ( maybe they did) but everyone single show has been a good listen with guests well prepared.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28195 on: June 15, 2023, 11:31:44 pm »

Yeah there was anful lot of nothing talked there because it's a not much of a subject altogether. And a lot of vocal fry from young Josh who really parrots Neil's distinctive turns of phrase.

We never do well at Stamford Bridge? The win there in 19/20  with the two quick goals is one of the stand-out victories of the first half of that season.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 11:33:17 pm by lamonti »

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28196 on: June 16, 2023, 12:21:34 am »
Fixture discussions are the biggest waste of time in a league where everyone plays each other twice.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28197 on: June 16, 2023, 06:02:07 am »
Fixture discussions are the biggest waste of time in a league where everyone plays each other twice.

As ever, Atko the only one adding any interest to the discussion: what'll be on TV, what'll get moved for whatever reason, what comes after the European fixtures, etc.

The rest of them "Oh my god I can't believe we're playing a team we're scheduled to be playing by virtue of being in the league"

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28198 on: June 16, 2023, 09:23:41 am »
Their show about the City fan's experience at the CL final was excellent work.

Online klopptopia

• Anny Roader
« Reply #28199 on: June 16, 2023, 12:52:31 pm »
As ever, Atko the only one adding any interest to the discussion: what'll be on TV, what'll get moved for whatever reason, what comes after the European fixtures, etc.

The rest of them "Oh my god I can't believe we're playing a team we're scheduled to be playing by virtue of being in the league"

Will start this with I absolutely love TAW and its the best £7 a month I spend so not complaining at all.

It seems though that the number of "Reaction specials" is ever increasing. It seems like there are 4 or 5 shows for every open transfer target we have. I noticed it couple of years ago when there was a reaction special for us being strongly linked with Florian Neuhaus, who we never actually signed. Feels a bit fillery for me and seems to have increased from there.