Poll

Who Wins This Super Heavyweight Contest?

Betty Blue v
10 (55.6%)
Crosby Nick
8 (44.4%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: June 20, 2022, 02:04:31 pm

Author Topic: Football Circle Draft- The Finalissima  (Read 954 times)

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Football Circle Draft- The Finalissima
« on: June 19, 2022, 02:04:31 pm »
Betty

V

Nick

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Football Circle Draft- The Finalissima
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2022, 02:13:44 pm »
Nick's back five is undoubtedly better but I think Rivaldo causes it more problems than Rui Costa on the other side, and I like Betty's front line more in general. It's a shame Nick doesn't have any out-and-out wingers because if there were crosses coming in I think Gabigol and Klinsmann would have that Puyol/Baresi back two for breakfast in the air.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2022, 02:42:08 pm »
Tough one but Betty.

I don’t like Gabigol and Klinsmann as a pair, though undoubtedly they were fine players, which one is the foil, who’s dropping to try and get Rui Costa closer to the pair? I’d have sacrificed Klinsmann for another midfielder or gone for a 4-3-3 because there’s the players there to do it if you changed a few names. It’s a nice team, I think mine was better honestly but I think Henry, with Baggio and the power of Vieira shades this one.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2022, 03:19:13 pm »
Near identical kit's as well. You bastards should choose diffrent colours more often instead of sticking to the same ones.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2022, 03:28:34 pm »
Tough one but Betty.

I don’t like Gabigol and Klinsmann as a pair, though undoubtedly they were fine players, which one is the foil, who’s dropping to try and get Rui Costa closer to the pair? I’d have sacrificed Klinsmann for another midfielder or gone for a 4-3-3 because there’s the players there to do it if you changed a few names. It’s a nice team, I think mine was better honestly but I think Henry, with Baggio and the power of Vieira shades this one.

For you to turn down Batistuta and Rui Costa like this must be serious heartache ;D

Anyway, Betty just about edges it for me. The midfield is a bit meaner and the front three is very difficult to handle. Nick's defensive front is a bit better but Baresi is just good enough to get Betty over the line.

2-1 for the final score. Henry x2 with a late winner vs Batistuta.
Linudden.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2022, 03:30:09 pm »
Guys, I think Samie is color blind.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2022, 03:30:40 pm »
Guys, I think Samie is color blind.

One of the teams would've had to use an away kit for this one lex Inter vs Fiorentina ;D
Linudden.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2022, 03:40:03 pm »
Well done to both on making the final. At various points I voted for these sides on the way here ;D

That said, for this formation, Betty's Henry - Baggio works a lot better than Klinsmann - Batistuta due to the former duo's superior ability to effortlessly drift wide and play in those spaces. Nick's team need to rely more on crosses due to the profile of their strikers, and the supply also seems lacking on that front.

But, in midfield, I prefer Nick's side. Rate Dino Baggio and he's deployed in a good position here. Matthaus contributes both ways, as does Rui Costa, Veron starting deeper has space to dictate the play. For Betty, there is an over-reliance on Vieira. Boban was a final third player, attacking mid / winger type rather than a centre mid, Rivaldo will contribute nothing off the ball, Gattuso I never rated that highly for his individual characteristics, though you acknowledge his record as part of a side. Think Nick's side will dominate this area.

Think the defences are on a similar level, you expect Betty's front three to cause more issues, but Nick's midfield can choke them out of it in the first place.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2022, 03:49:19 pm »
What is this thing you called a final Surf? Respect the Finalissima!

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2022, 03:51:31 pm »
Honestly when I picked my team I had visions of Batistuta and Balbo playing together loads and when I checked it was about 10 games for Fiorentina! I thought they had both played with fellow out and out strikers in their careers (Klinsmann and Voller) so could work. But they are fair comments and Henry pulling out wide is a fair point.

Glad someone likes Dino Baggio at long last anyway!

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2022, 03:52:27 pm »
Sorry Samie, Finalissima it is ;D

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2022, 09:19:53 pm »
For you to turn down Batistuta and Rui Costa like this must be serious heartache ;D
Genuinely not okay with going against them, two of my all-time favourite players. I still think the 1998 version of Rui Costa, when Fiorentina finished 3rd - were you able to bottle his performances and spread them more evenly over his career - was as good as Zidane. And far nicer to watch.

Gabigol is Gabigol. One of the greatest strikers in the best leagues during one of it’s best eras. That being said, I didn’t like the constituent parts around it. Batistuta did his best stuff with Oliviera as a willing runner and Edmundo buzzing around him, later Totti.

Two really good teams.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2022, 09:36:23 pm »
Samie, you bastard. Another blind final!

In defence of Gattuso, I never thought he was the most talented player on the field at any time, but he always made up for that with utter passion, energy and determination. He reminds me of Deschamps in the way he helped other players shine. Pirlo owed a lot to him at World Cup 2006 for example, and Italy would have never won that World Cup without him IMO. He'd be the prefect anchor for the more talented players in front of him.

Anyway, expect this to be a close vote. Voted for Nick in every round up until now. May the best purple kitted team win.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2022, 12:30:33 pm »
Very close, I went for Betty in the end because Nick was mean to me in one of the Boozer threads last week
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2022, 12:58:54 pm »
Very close, I went for Betty in the end because Nick was mean to me in one of the Boozer threads last week

I went for Nick but thinking about it I should have gone for Betty, I've always like Fiorentina more than Inter.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2022, 01:05:34 pm »

I respect your decision and your reason.

I went for Nick but thinking about it I should have gone for Betty, I've always like Fiorentina more than Inter.

Two Fiorentina legends in my line up so don’t beat yourself up about it.

I almost forgot to vote. Closed in an hour doesn’t it!...

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2022, 03:10:43 pm »
Oooh! Close one.

Well done Betty. Been on fire in recent drafts I think?

Cheers Samie! Top work.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2022, 03:46:10 pm »
I respect your decision and your reason.

Two Fiorentina legends in my line up so don’t beat yourself up about it.

Cancelled out by two Man Utd legends, sort of :P

Unlucky though, a lot of good teams in the draft, yours and Betty's were among the strongest.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2022, 03:57:49 pm »
Think most teams would have been worthy winners, very fine lines all the way through

Excellent draft Samie, who the fuck would have thought it?!
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2022, 04:05:03 pm »
Yeah, nice one Samie.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2022, 04:54:10 pm »
Oooh! Close one.

Well done Betty. Been on fire in recent drafts I think?

Cheers Samie! Top work.

Whew! Close indeed, mate. Had your side earmarked as finalist from the off. Wasn't that confident in my own if I'm honest! As others have said, there were so many great teams in this one. Could have been about 6 different winners. I think we all owe a huge debt to Tubby for taking out Nicholls' team though.

I crashed out in the first round of the last two and won the one before that. So I'm consistent at least!  :D

Echo the praise for Samie. Hit the ball out of the park with this draft idea.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2022, 05:43:26 pm »
Well done Betty and yeah,  great draft from Samie.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2022, 08:27:40 pm »
Congrats to Betty on the Finalissima.

Thank you all for the kind words. If someone wants to run a Football Circle Draft Part Deux with tightened rules by all means go ahead.  :wave

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2022, 09:48:12 pm »
I’d definitely be up for a more severe circle draft but maybe a different one next before *circling* back to the original idea.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2022, 11:27:17 am »
Could just do a current day draft like Sheer suggested as a little palate cleanser

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2022, 11:51:50 am »
Could just do a current day draft like Sheer suggested as a little palate cleanser

Let me just check if Redondo is still playing in the 5th tier of Argentinian football.

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2022, 12:03:12 pm »

Boring, I already did that in the last draft.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2022, 03:05:42 pm »
Let's run a draft before Wales play again, please.