Author Topic: The PL run-in  (Read 984209 times)

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Attacking #20
« Reply #1160 on: December 27, 2020, 09:01:53 pm »
One draw, and the narrative has gone from drunken delirium after Palace to panic stations in the Jan window.

Every week there is a nee team to worry about and a new crisis brewing.

It's not as if everyone is smashing it but us; everyone is dropping points. In fact we've still dropped less points than everyone else.

One game at a time and dont panic. Easy stuff.

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #1161 on: December 27, 2020, 09:03:59 pm »
Michael Edwards just looked out his window and saw the Liverbird signal in the sky.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #1162 on: December 27, 2020, 09:09:04 pm »
Michael Edwards just looked out his window and saw the Liverbird signal in the sky.
The two Liverbirds on top of the Royal Liver Building looked up and saw Michael Edwards profile in the sky...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #1163 on: December 27, 2020, 09:13:15 pm »
At last. The long awaited Hendo-Fab CB pairing is upon us. I mean sure, VVD-Gomes is pretty good, but this is the one. We will never be scored on again.  ;D

Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1164 on: December 27, 2020, 09:19:01 pm »
At last. The long awaited Hendo-Fab CB pairing is upon us. I mean sure, VVD-Gomes is pretty good, but this is the one. We will never be scored on again.  ;D

Play Williams or Philips until we sign someone.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1165 on: December 27, 2020, 09:25:32 pm »
Big opportunity missed today.

City close to within 2 with a win in their game on hand.

Still think we're the best team and squad in the league, but have to start putting together a streak of wins.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1166 on: December 27, 2020, 09:26:07 pm »
Big opportunity missed today.

City close to within 2 with a win in their game on hand.

Still think we're the best team and squad in the league, but have to start putting together a streak of wins.

3 points not 2 with a worse GD.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1167 on: December 27, 2020, 09:34:41 pm »
3 points not 2 with a worse GD.

Correct, my mistake.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1168 on: December 27, 2020, 09:37:10 pm »
Dropping too many points against atrocious sides. Not helped by losing another attacking option in Jota.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1169 on: December 27, 2020, 09:39:09 pm »
Dropping too many points against atrocious sides. Not helped by losing another attacking option in Jota.

And another CB
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1170 on: December 27, 2020, 09:41:22 pm »
That's been our Achilles heel for a while... The silver lining is that we are where we are in the table with injury-ravished squad. Players will start coming back in the second half of the season, and if we add a quality CB, we can run away with the title in April.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1171 on: December 27, 2020, 09:45:58 pm »
That's been our Achilles heel for a while... The silver lining is that we are where we are in the table with injury-ravished squad. Players will start coming back in the second half of the season, and if we add a quality CB, we can run away with the title in April.

That’s if we don’t have any more injuries until then.

Either way we have dropped points against Brighton, Villa, West Brom, Fulham and a couple of them may get relegated. At this point of the season these shite teams who don’t have the squads have to be beaten.

Ultimately we need to sign some players in January. We can’t go into a game with a patched up defence.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1172 on: December 27, 2020, 09:46:32 pm »

No one is going to run away with it this season in my opinion.

We have to sign a CB otherwise we won’t retain it.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1173 on: December 27, 2020, 09:48:07 pm »

Either way we have dropped points against Brighton, Villa, West Brom, Fulham and a couple of them may get relegated. At this point of the season these shite teams who don’t have the squads have to be beaten.

Ultimately we need to sign some players in January. We can’t go into a game with a patched up defence.
As much as I agree with you, KH, I'm trying to dampen my expectations for signings this window. I'd be content with a top-quality CB. But there is a chance that even that won't happen...

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1174 on: December 27, 2020, 09:49:19 pm »

Our squad is decent.

When you say some players, how many you thinking ?

Online BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #1175 on: December 27, 2020, 09:51:12 pm »
We became too predictable today, funnel the ball wide and get crosses in. It worked well in the first half as the quality of the ball in was generally excellent, particularly from Robbo. Second half, we started with those floaty crosses that require an unbelievably good header or a second header to score. That might work against some aerially vulnerable sides, but against a Sam Allardyce side it’s probably a futile exercise. Centrally we needed a little bit more creativity. In the past fans have bemoaned the midfield three without a creator, ie a midfield of Hendo, Wij, Milner etc. Despite such criticism we’ve usually been ok because either; our full backs have consistently created chances, the front three have turned it on or a combination of both.

It was similar to today earlier in the season against Sheff United (I think) when Shaq played that through ball for Jota to finish at the Kop End. Today Jurgen went for Ox, presumably for his ability to shoot on target from distance. Another option might have been Shaq, just to give WBA something different to contend with. Ultimately what it shows is the reason why Klopp wanted Thiago.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1176 on: December 27, 2020, 09:51:14 pm »
As much as I agree with you, KH, I'm trying to dampen my expectations for signings this window. I'd be content with a top-quality CB. But there is a chance that even that won't happen...

It doesn’t have to be a top quality centre back. Any decent quality one who is fit will suffice. At this moment we have no fit senior centre back.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1177 on: December 27, 2020, 09:51:56 pm »
Our squad is decent.

When you say some players, how many you thinking ?

Just one decent, mid table quality centre back would do.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1178 on: December 27, 2020, 09:52:07 pm »

We don't need anything other than a CB in January. This isn't because of a lack of quality in the squad and extra/new signings.

Villa was a freak. Brighton wasn't great, but we're a soft pen away from three points. Fulham felt like the culmination of the stress on the squad. Tonight was a failure to remain composed in possession.

I'd have loved us to just pass it around at the back/in our half from about 60 mins onwards. No way they'd have pushed enough forward to put us under any serious pressure, and if they did then space would have opened. Understand its a shit approach, but sick of teams having zero interest in trying to do anything. Would be interested to see what they'd do if we had 6 in our half playing rondo across half a pitch.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1179 on: December 27, 2020, 09:52:56 pm »
It doesn’t have to be a top quality centre back. Any decent quality one who is fit will suffice. At this moment we have no fit senior centre back.
If we are to buy a CB in the summer, which I think we'll do, I'd rather see us go after our top targets even if we pay extra.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1180 on: December 27, 2020, 09:52:59 pm »

There has to be someone available

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #1181 on: December 27, 2020, 09:54:23 pm »

I can only dream of Ben Mee at this moment.
Phil Jones would be heaven.
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1182 on: December 27, 2020, 09:58:26 pm »
If we are to buy a CB in the summer, which I think we'll do, I'd rather see us go after our top targets even if we pay extra.

Maybe. A team may not want to sell and I can understand that.

But our needs are desperate. Are we actually going to be playing Williams and Phillips regularly for a month? Fair enough if that’s next to Van Dijk, but it’s next to Fabinho!

We have to sign someone. I’d take any mid-table level centre back who has a few years of top flight experience.

Offline Copenred

• Main Stander
« Reply #1183 on: December 27, 2020, 09:59:56 pm »
With the big dogs keep slipping up I get the feeling that the league title will be determined in the games between top 5 sides (Arsenal, Wolves, Everton and Soton can play spoilers). Luckily we seem to have the upper hand in these games with 3 points at Anfield against City and United being close to decisive.

I think it will be close this year with either us or City claiming the title. Still think that we are favorites especially if we can get Thiago playing so we will have a key against teams taking notice of West Brom dinosaur tactics.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1184 on: December 27, 2020, 10:00:05 pm »
Maybe. A team may not want to sell and I can understand that.

But our needs are desperate. Are we actually going to be playing Williams and Phillips regularly for a month? Fair enough if that’s next to Van Dijk, but it’s next to Fabinho!

We have to sign someone. I’d take any mid-table level centre back who has a few years of top flight experience.

I would play Philips midweek

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1185 on: December 27, 2020, 10:00:07 pm »
Killer, don’t leave me as the only person on here still very confident we’ll win it!

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1186 on: December 27, 2020, 10:03:16 pm »
Killer, don’t leave me as the only person on here still very confident we’ll win it!

I still think we are by far and away the best team in the league, and I think we are clear favourites still. Maybe not very confident but not far off.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1187 on: December 27, 2020, 10:04:51 pm »

We will win it but all it takes is a loss here and there and we will be chasing and not leading. We have Newcastle next but then we have Southampton, Man United, Burnley, Spurs and West Ham. That’s not an easy fixture list when you have to play Williams or Phillips next to a midfielder and we are already giving away too many chances.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1188 on: December 27, 2020, 10:07:22 pm »
We will win it but all it takes is a loss here and there and we will be chasing and not leading. We have Newcastle next but then we have Southampton, Man United, Burnley, Spurs and West Ham. That’s not an easy fixture list when you have to play Williams or Phillips next to a midfielder and we are already giving away too many chances.

Need to adopt the one game at a time mentality.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1189 on: December 27, 2020, 10:08:00 pm »

It was good enough to beat the likes of Spurs and West Ham. We’re not giving up that many chances, just for some on a set piece by a side playing for them. But naive and only ourselves to blame but in a lot of games we’ll still be fine.And if anyone bar City hits the front I don’t believe for a second they won’t falter at some stage. City still the ones to watch but we’ve played them away and have a great home record against them. Think today’s result isn’t a sign of things to come, just a poor result against a manager we often seem to struggle with.

I’ve replied inside your post there. Don’t know how to fix that!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 10:16:06 pm by Tis the season to be John C »

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1190 on: December 27, 2020, 10:26:18 pm »
It was good enough to beat the likes of Spurs and West Ham. We’re not giving up that many chances, just for some on a set piece by a side playing for them. But naive and only ourselves to blame but in a lot of games we’ll still be fine.And if anyone bar City hits the front I don’t believe for a second they won’t falter at some stage. City still the ones to watch but we’ve played them away and have a great home record against them. Think today’s result isn’t a sign of things to come, just a poor result against a manager we often seem to struggle with.

I’ve replied inside your post there. Don’t know how to fix that!

Everything thus far indicates that it will be a bumpy season with no long sequence of wins. That’s fine but my concern is when we play the better sides that our lack of quality at the back would cost us. All it takes is one or two bad results and the situation could be worse.

Ultimately we have to plug the leaks in the back with at least one centre back.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1191 on: December 27, 2020, 10:30:12 pm »
Everything thus far indicates that it will be a bumpy season with no long sequence of wins. That’s fine but my concern is when we play the better sides that our lack of quality at the back would cost us. All it takes is one or two bad results and the situation could be worse.

Ultimately we have to plug the leaks in the back with at least one centre back.

We rode our luck against Spurs with mistakes at the back.

We will surely sign someone that can play with Fab.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1192 on: December 27, 2020, 10:35:08 pm »
We are dropping points to bottom teams. Not a good sign when we could pull away a bit this window. Yet we could not do it and City is stepping up their gears.
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline tornado

• ali
  • Kopite
« Reply #1193 on: December 27, 2020, 10:38:50 pm »
Ultimately it's going to be between us and City..won't be crazy perfection from both like 18-19 but I think will be another close one...we should be cantering away but can't ignore defensive crisis and need to play 19 ur old rookie defenders.

Still think we will edge them out. Hopefully Everton can atleast draw with City.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1194 on: December 27, 2020, 10:42:10 pm »
We are dropping points to bottom teams. Not a good sign when we could pull away a bit this window. Yet we could not do it and City is stepping up their gears.

City drew with WBA and Leeds.

It’s a weird season

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1195 on: December 27, 2020, 10:43:08 pm »

It almost makes me wanna watch it...

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1196 on: December 27, 2020, 10:43:19 pm »
Ultimately it's going to be between us and City..won't be crazy perfection from both like 18-19 but I think will be another close one...we should be cantering away but can't ignore defensive crisis and need to play 19 ur old rookie defenders.

Still think we will edge them out. Hopefully Everton can atleast draw with City.
We need to put the sword to dominance of basement teams. We cannot depend on competition dropping points.
Not much use whacking 7-0 one week and drawing the next with these teams.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1197 on: December 27, 2020, 10:45:08 pm »
City drew with WBA and Leeds.

It’s a weird season
That was earlier on. Now they are stepping up while we are still sorting out who to beat. 

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1198 on: December 27, 2020, 10:46:54 pm »
That was earlier on. Now they are stepping up while we are still sorting out who to beat. 

City literally (Jamie Redknapp) drew with West Brom about two games ago.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1199 on: December 27, 2020, 10:48:15 pm »
City literally (Jamie Redknapp) drew with West Brom about two games ago.

Took the words out my mouth.

Haven’t they drawn with United recently too?