Author Topic: John Nixon and Bill Shankly.  (Read 15964 times)

Offline DAYDAY

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
  • We are the barmy Anny Rd army...na na nana nana
Re: John Nixon and Bill Shankly.
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2013, 10:57:35 pm »
Was born outside the ground and moved to the Farm in the sixties when it was Built
Where did he live Albie and did he have a favourite boozer ?

Offline stardorman

• Very gullible, please avoid showing him photoshops
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • working in a coal mine, going down, down, down..
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2013, 11:09:18 pm »
Real touching story.. Cheers for sharing mate. RIP John

royhendo

« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2013, 07:18:05 am »
Condolences to the family mate, and that was a fantastic bit of writing as always. Makes you pine for another time.

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2013, 08:41:50 am »
First of, my condolences to you and yours Albie.

Second. Wow, not quite sure what to say. That is a special post. Thank you.

@Yvanicuzz

Offline andy jay

• Kemlynite
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2013, 09:57:12 am »
Really enjoyed reading that post Albie, though obviously sad to hear in the circumstances. Having just lost my mum very suddenly I've spent the last few weeks with my Dad (3rd generation flint mountain red in his early 70s) hearing many of his stories of days gone by and while there's nothing to match this on a personal connection with Shankly, it's such an important part of history, and I've been getting my phone out and making sure I record all the stories to be able to pass down to my kids when they're old enough.

My condolences to your wife and the whole family for your loss, and my thanks to you for sharing the story.

For my mum, it was really hard to plan the funeral as it was so unexpected, so we've started early for my Dad, with Nina Simone's instrumental version of YNWA already on the list for his committal music - just the right tone - check it out people if you haven't already...
we have dreams and songs to sing

Offline AJL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This time one year, we'll be the Champions again
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2013, 09:57:13 am »
That was one of those posts that you read and re-read a few times just to take it all in properly, a brilliant post.

As someone has already mentioned here, younger fans should be made to read these sort of posts to understand what our club is about and where its history came from.  Men like John truly are the history of this club and for that alone we have to thank them.

RIP John. YNWA
"For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side"

#JFT96

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2013, 10:24:10 am »
Fantastic read, thanks for sharing mate.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline MiserableP15

• Liable to get overexcited at the site of opposition goalie's rear
  • Legacy Fan
  • Certified thread killer - Best on the web.
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2013, 03:05:00 pm »
Only just read this. Glad I did.

Sorry for your loss and thanks for sharing such an amazing relationship between John and Shankly. Incredible.
"So Bierhoff’s got a short time to press his claims, now that the other two strikers who started the match have both been taken off……Kuntz."

Offline ThisIsMickey

• Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2013, 07:38:29 am »
Sorry for your loss mate and thanks for posting that. A truly heartwarming story.

RIP John Nixon
"100% of the shots you don't take don't go in"

Offline longtimered

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2013, 07:53:41 am »
Thanks for the post.He was a similar vintage to myself-reminded me of an almost forgotten age.

Always warmed by stories of the great man.It was what the club used to be about tho sadly not anymore.

Offline Andy G

• has just had sex. Possibly with Martin Tyler
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • They shot the wrong bloody Kennedy
« Reply #50 on: April 2, 2013, 04:49:11 pm »
I love these kind of stories - a personal insight into better days, past down by word of mouth through the generations.  It is all so romantic and yet the most accurate record of history available on the way people were.  I say that because too many families have similar stories for them not to be true. 

It is a shame that John Nixon is no longer here to entertain us more (albeit indirectly).  Rest in Peace John, YNWA.

Also, sorry to hear about your loss too 92A.  Hope you are bearing up OK. I know the weeks after the death and the funeral are often the most difficult.  God Bless mate.
Emancipate your selves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: April 2, 2013, 05:00:31 pm »
Thanks Andy to me Uncle John was a great compassionate fella who I was lucky to know but to my wife he was so much more.The funerals tomorrow and she's out helping with that.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: September 2, 2013, 05:58:33 pm »
Albie, I hope you don't mind me giving this thread a bump. I've been looking for it for ages.
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #53 on: September 2, 2013, 06:21:28 pm »
Thanks for bumping, great story.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: September 2, 2013, 06:26:08 pm »
Thanks for bumping this. I put the tv on mute (SSN showing Bale's transfer), and then read this great post. In some ways, football was a million miles away back then wasn't it?
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #55 on: September 2, 2013, 07:59:23 pm »
Albie, I hope you don't mind me giving this thread a bump. I've been looking for it for ages.

I missed this first time around - thanks for the bump Sean. Albie, this is really moving, I hope that John had a good send off, and that he may Rest in Peace. With Shanks.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #56 on: September 3, 2013, 07:48:45 am »
I'm re-bumping this Albie - because it's essential to keep the real flame alive in the sea of shite that surrounds us and the game today.

This post is simply inspirational and deserving of an exposure to today's "under-informed".
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: September 3, 2013, 12:56:45 pm »
Lovely to see this bumped and thanks lads. The funeral went well after battling with the priest who was very unsympathetic to any of our requests and despised what John stood for, to the point of not allowing us any of our attempts to remember the real man. So my wife was forced to resort to guerrilla tactics. At the grave side after the blessing, she brought out some balloons and a cd player and made a speech and then let off the balloons off while she played YNWA.  My wife's a blue and all his old mates both red or blue and the family approved, while the priest looked on with an expression that wasn't very Christian. There wasn't a dry eye as everyone knew that John would have loved my wife's actions and would have had a little smile to himself.

I got talking to some of the lads who went home and away with John. When I say 'lads', they're all old men now and they told me John and Shanks were closer than what I realised. That Shanks would talk to all of the regulars but the great man used to seek him out at the aways and was always talking to him. John was an ordinary fan and the fact that they could share their love of Liverpool and politics with a small 'p' says a lot about both of them and the their times.  We miss John and I'd loved to have talked to him this week, he'd have been excited we were top of the league but would be preaching caution, he'd have been reading all the tributes to Shankly but you'd never know he knew Shanks because that was John, modest, decent and thinking of others he'd have been asking me about the match and what Rodgers is building  and I'd be trying to talk about Shankly. John loved people and loved life, always saw the good and was positive, he loved sport and you'd find him listening to the Rugby Leauge on his wireless if there was no football on.  I miss him and it's sad his generation are growing old but he always had faith in the young, they're not bad it's the world that mess's them up!

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: September 3, 2013, 01:24:38 pm »
That sounded like the Boys from the Black Stuff Albie when the priest at George's (wheelchair ex-docker) requiem mass was spouting all the platitudes about a fella he never knew! he went on and on until the moment when Chrissie (Michael Angelis) who used to push George around Liverpool in his chair had had enough.
From the body of the church benches he stood up and voiced those famous words "yer norron dere farder and proceded to give an account of the REAL fella George had been. Brilliant brilliant series - heartbreaking but so fucking uplifting at one and the same time.

RIP John NIxon - sad to say but the likes of you may not be seen again lad.
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline the 92A

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: September 3, 2013, 02:07:58 pm »
That sounded like the Boys from the Black Stuff Albie when the priest at George's (wheelchair ex-docker) requiem mass was spouting all the platitudes about a fella he never knew! he went on and on until the moment when Chrissie (Michael Angelis) who used to push George around Liverpool in his chair had had enough.
From the body of the church benches he stood up and voiced those famous words "yer norron dere farder and proceded to give an account of the REAL fella George had been. Brilliant brilliant series - heartbreaking but so fucking uplifting at one and the same time.

RIP John NIxon - sad to say but the likes of you may not be seen again lad.

You're right John. Shades of Boys from the Blackstuff. Ironic thing was when we were organising Johns brothers funeral a few years before, John was in there with my wife and the pair of them came back from seeing the priest smiling. My wife saying, 'we were brilliant', the old trade union negotiating skills came out and the pair of them got Johnny Cash's 'ring of fire' played in the Church. It was his brothers favourite song but they never thought they'd get that past the Priest, '...It's a very religious song Father with deep meaning for the deceased'. This time, there was a new Priest, straight from the Home Counties, with a head on him like the 'Tefal man' and a contempt for most of his Parishioners.  Imagine putting a Priest in the middle of Cantril Farm who so obviously has contempt for working class people, especially those who have opinions, it was a recipe for disaster and if people hadn't have had the dignity to respect occassion, you'd have had the 'full Chrissie' during the mass, which left us open mouthed on occassions due to it's crassness. However, that was a small diversion in remembering a fantastic man and he got the send off he deserved.

Offline Billy1561

• The egg-beating, Turbo Wrist-Action King. Conqueror of Mow cop otherwise known as The Cow Mopper! Too old for Google...too overloaded to byte.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scouse by birth. Red by choice.
« Reply #60 on: September 3, 2013, 04:18:27 pm »
In many ways Albie, although your loss is undoubtedly hard to bear you can be proud of the fact that a little bit of his spirit and fortitude lives on in you. You have all it takes to be the next John. Someday, younger relatives of yours will speak of you in the same affectionate way. I've never met you or hardly any others from RAWK but sometimes you just know a decent person who has the drive and integrity to continue all the beliefs that have been driven in to us by our forefathers.
The likes of you will continue to see our club in safe hands and in life also.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: September 3, 2013, 04:47:11 pm »
Just re-reading this and the comments. All I can say is... Religion, no wonder we picked football.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline the 92A

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: September 3, 2013, 05:13:10 pm »
We all remember the 'opium of the people' bit but he went on to say that religion was also 'the heart in a heartless world'. I don't think there was any danger of this Priest being the heart in a heartless world.  One trick wonder, Wrath of God for all these sinners, the sooner the better! He was doing his 'missionary' work in Canny Farm and couldn't wait to get back to civilisation as he despised the 'natives' and their weird customs and way of life. Not realising, that they all knew and were all counting the days till he moved back. And the churches wonder why they're losing their grip. Doesn't matter to me I'm not religious but you'd think they'd try.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: September 4, 2013, 06:51:44 am »
We sometimes forget don't we that some of the arl-fashioned blood and thunder priests were just human beings - many of them who were forced into remote and lonely boarding school lives at 14 years of age that they never had any calling for by over-zealous and sanctimonious parents.

I think the fact that they were disconnected from real people is not the fault of a real faith and a strong belief - but because of a mind set that said to them "You are special and separate and different from the others". That is my personal credo anyroad. Plus a lot of them when grown up were extremely angry at the parent-made "choice" forced upon them as boys - and by extension, this anger and contempt was then directed at their underling parishioners.

In my life, there have been the occasional gems who really were Christ-like in all they did. They really were the heart in a heartless world and would have given you the coat off their back (and did oft times!) Plus on tap was good and sound advice for dealing with life's real problems that would have cost you an arm and a leg in Harley Street.

That said, there were also arl doctors too who were exactly the same way with their under-privileged patients. Solid gold most of them were - but you really wouldn't have wished to cross some of 'em!!In our part of East Manchester both priests and doctors were traditionally drawn from the Emerald Isle.

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #64 on: September 4, 2013, 12:53:47 pm »
Lovely to see this bumped and thanks lads. The funeral went well after battling with the priest who was very unsympathetic to any of our requests and despised what John stood for, to the point of not allowing us any of our attempts to remember the real man. So my wife was forced to resort to guerrilla tactics. At the grave side after the blessing, she brought out some balloons and a cd player and made a speech and then let off the balloons off while she played YNWA.  My wife's a blue and all his old mates both red or blue and the family approved, while the priest looked on with an expression that wasn't very Christian. There wasn't a dry eye as everyone knew that John would have loved my wife's actions and would have had a little smile to himself.

I got talking to some of the lads who went home and away with John. When I say 'lads', they're all old men now and they told me John and Shanks were closer than what I realised. That Shanks would talk to all of the regulars but the great man used to seek him out at the aways and was always talking to him. John was an ordinary fan and the fact that they could share their love of Liverpool and politics with a small 'p' says a lot about both of them and the their times.  We miss John and I'd loved to have talked to him this week, he'd have been excited we were top of the league but would be preaching caution, he'd have been reading all the tributes to Shankly but you'd never know he knew Shanks because that was John, modest, decent and thinking of others he'd have been asking me about the match and what Rodgers is building  and I'd be trying to talk about Shankly. John loved people and loved life, always saw the good and was positive, he loved sport and you'd find him listening to the Rugby Leauge on his wireless if there was no football on.  I miss him and it's sad his generation are growing old but he always had faith in the young, they're not bad it's the world that mess's them up!

I love what your wife did Albie, brilliant, we are losing our good men fast RIP John YNWA.

Regarding priests well......I had a paper round to earn some pocket money, my round was the new Deysbrook estate and the Army Camp on the corner of Princess Drive and Deysbrook lane. Every Friday evening I would cycle round the estate collecting the paper money, I had just finished being paid by a lady who had her hair in curlers when the local priest pulled up on his motorbike, the lady shouted to him "I haven't got any spare money this week father, I´m having my hair done" The priest, halfway up the path said "the virgin Mary never had her hair done" and quick as a flash the lady replied "and Jesus never went round on a motorbike"
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline the 92A

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: September 4, 2013, 02:04:54 pm »
I love what your wife did Albie, brilliant, we are losing our good men fast RIP John YNWA.

Regarding priests well......I had a paper round to earn some pocket money, my round was the new Deysbrook estate and the Army Camp on the corner of Princess Drive and Deysbrook lane. Every Friday evening I would cycle round the estate collecting the paper money, I had just finished being paid by a lady who had her hair in curlers when the local priest pulled up on his motorbike, the lady shouted to him "I haven't got any spare money this week father, I´m having my hair done" The priest, halfway up the path said "the virgin Mary never had her hair done" and quick as a flash the lady replied "and Jesus never went round on a motorbike"

Scouse Women. Strong and quicker than that Duncan Edwards fella ;)