Author Topic: Non-League football  (Read 8104 times)

Offline You'll Never Walk Alone

• Kopite
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys...
Non-League football
« on: November 23, 2011, 11:46:17 pm »
Anyone here into their Non-League? Be it Blue Square, Evo-Stik, North-West Counties?

It's a great way to spend an afternoon on the cheap. There's still that community atmosphere that has been lost a little in the modern age too. I spend a lot of time watching Witton Albion from the Evo-Stik Div 1. There must at least be a few Marine/Vauxhall Motors/Prescot fans in here?
Quote from: Youll Never Walk Alone on September  2, 2007, 12:38:14 PM
Voronin = Bargain.

Online anfieldpurch

• Simple
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96!!
Re: Non-League football
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 11:53:21 pm »
Used to be part of the first-team set up at Grantham Town, Was a ball boy there too when I was much younger, keep an eye out for them and occasionally watch them.
Proud father to Riley James Lucas 16/3/17

• Kopite
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 12:02:37 am »
I remember a 4-4 game a few years back against Grantham. They were already relegated at cost Witton the title but fair play to them, they brought quite a few to Cheshire for that.
Voronin = Bargain.

Offline WEST HAM PAUL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 12:06:50 am »
Blue Square South.

I follow Chelmsford City in the non league. My local team I've been to seem them quite a few times down the years. Most memorable beating AFC Winbledon 3 years back 3-2 at home & although a defeat I saw them away at Oldham in the FA Cup about 10 years ago & lost 0-4 but a good day out.

In off to watch them not this but next weekend in the FA Cup v Macclesfield. It's winnable.

My best mates Dad is reserve team manager & his other two sons are in the squad so that keeps my interest up aswell.

I've seen Witton Albion play before I went to the 1992 FA Trophy Final v Colchester United who won 3-1.

Fortunes Always Hiding. 

And The Sun Shines Now

Sex bombs to the left of me would be playboy bunnies to the right and here I am stuck in the middle with my pasty white bird.

• Kopite
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 12:08:55 am »
Sadly the Albion have fallen from grace somewhat since then. Paying for overspending in the early 90's.
Voronin = Bargain.

Offline WEST HAM PAUL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 12:12:17 am »
Heady days for Witton back then. I remember there was about 35,000 at the game approx 25,000 Colchester who did the Non League double that year.

Fortunes Always Hiding. 

And The Sun Shines Now

Sex bombs to the left of me would be playboy bunnies to the right and here I am stuck in the middle with my pasty white bird.

Offline El_Pistolero

• Has authorised the people of Newcastle to serial fellate him in a modern day Annabel Chong style nosh-a-thon.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 12:16:53 am »
Kidderminster Harriers are my local non-league team. Heading down to their home game against Cambridge on Saturday.

Online CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 12:19:18 am »
Always keep an eye out for Lairds if I can, brother was in there reserves for a short while.  Otherwise I always seem to have a keen eye on Bradford Park Avenue, I don't know why, just seem like a team with a big history.  Historically it'd be good to see some sort of resurgent New Brighton team but alas...
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of Ł22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

• Kopite
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 12:33:03 am »
Heady days for Witton back then. I remember there was about 35,000 at the game approx 25,000 Colchester who did the Non League double that year.

Yeah I think Witton took 5,000 down there (Which isn't bad for a town of 20,000). Sadly I missed out, being 2 months old at the time!
Voronin = Bargain.

Online anfieldpurch

• Simple
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96!!
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 12:43:10 am »
Think Grantham's most recent best day was their F.A Cup 1st Round match v Leyton Orient :) Was Ball Boy that day in I think 2003.

Last Season made the play-offs and are going quite well this season.

Mansfield Town F.C gave me a job interview last week (Didnt get the job) whereas I used to work at Lincoln City F.C (both non-league clubs now sadly)

Offline Yozza1

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 11:05:31 am »
Southport are doing well this season somehow after surviving last after Rushden Diamonds going out of business ???

Offline Oh Sami Sami

• Kopite
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 03:26:10 pm »
Southport are doing well this season somehow after surviving last after Rushden Diamonds going out of business ???

Been going to a few of their games this season when we're playing on different days / not playing.  Been a good laugh like, the Bath City game was good, 2 goals in the last 5 mins to win it!

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 03:27:52 pm »
Follow the fortunes of my home town team FC Halifax

Offline ThepepeReina

• Space Cadet with a monoflatulent other half
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2011, 12:48:13 pm »
I play for wigan robin park in the north west counties. Going well atm currently top  :wave
Gamertag - GOUGHYlegend
I aint got time to bleed

Online anfieldpurch

• Simple
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96!!
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2011, 10:46:07 pm »
Grantham Town today made it 10 WINS in a row in the league with a 5-1 win AWAY at Market Drayton. They last failed to win a league game in September 1-1 with Hucknall Town. They last lost to SHEFFIELD FC in August.

Great Turn around, They lost 3 out of their first 4 games this season.
Currently 4th in Evo Stik League First Division South

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2011, 10:53:07 pm »
Follow the fortunes of my home town team FC Halifax

Who where playing my hometown team Colwyn Bay in the cup today, 0-0 replay at your place on tuesday!

Colwyn Bay are in the highest league in their history in the blue square north and add bonus they got there in the playoffs beating FC Manchester in the final.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Oh Sami Sami

• Kopite
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2011, 08:34:22 am »
Southport won away again! down to 10 men as well. Gone up to 3rd now 3 points clear of 2nd and only 3 points off the top! Yellows Yellows! haha

Pheeny

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2011, 08:59:27 am »
Keep an eye out for Wrexhams results and  get to watch most of the highlights of their games on line.

Online anfieldpurch

• Simple
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96!!
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2011, 11:09:46 am »
I play for wigan robin park in the north west counties. Going well atm currently top  :wave
How'd you get on this weekend mate?

Offline Mr Kipling

• Manhattanite
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Dream of Kloppifornication"
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2011, 11:15:01 am »
Kidderminster Harriers are my local non-league team. Heading down to their home game against Cambridge on Saturday.

You live in Kiddi? You poor sod ;D

Online CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2011, 11:22:44 am »
Hope they stayed to the end at Alfreton...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15802825.stm
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of Ł22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline David H

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2011, 11:38:00 am »
I always keep an eye on Marine and Southport, would probably even go to a few games if i could drive.

Offline adopted_scouser

• Whooooosssshhh!!!
  • Legacy Fan
  • I don't like cats.
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2011, 04:25:13 pm »
Will probably end up going down to Southport this season.  Got afew players in their team that I like, and they seem to be absolutely flying.  Sad thing about Southport as a town, is its full of either plastic Liverpool fans or plastic Mancs that have never been to a game in their life.  Their reason for not watching Southport is probably "because they're crap".  But if EVERY plastic football fan in Southport went to see them play, the extra income would transform them 10 fold.
She keeps getting texts off him saying "Oh please take me back, I love you and I'm still not over you". We read them together naked and then we laugh about it. Then she blows me off.

• Kopite
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2011, 07:00:26 pm »
A 2-1 loss at Droylsden for Witton yesterday  :-\ Four losses in a row now after a 14 game winning streak.
Voronin = Bargain.

Offline El_Pistolero

• Has authorised the people of Newcastle to serial fellate him in a modern day Annabel Chong style nosh-a-thon.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2011, 08:32:24 pm »
You live in Kiddi? You poor sod ;D

~10 mins on the train.  :P

They drew, btw. Probably shouldn't have, Hendrie made a few opportunities which Vincent/Matt should've finished and Wright decided to try dribble the ball into the net when he could've passed/shot.

Was a decent game though. The "LEE, YOU'RE MY HERO" and shouts of the like at Hendrie after he came on were amusing too.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 08:36:26 pm by El_Pistolero »

Offline Bootle

• Legacy Fan
  • Prove that we live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2011, 12:35:54 am »
I go to the occasional Bootle game. We are on a bit of a good run at the moment, turned over Marine in the Seniors cup a few weeks ago and are playing Everton in the semis in Feb. I actually started a thread when we played Everton in the same competition last year because it was the first time we'd played them in 110 years (or thereabouts).

The last game was good, with a crowd of 1000+, had to smile at the county FA guys there with their blazers on, helping themselves to the sausage rolls.

Offline Mr Kipling

• Manhattanite
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Dream of Kloppifornication"
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2011, 12:50:51 pm »
Was a decent game though. The "LEE, YOU'RE MY HERO" and shouts of the like at Hendrie after he came on were amusing too.

Bloody hell, forgot he plays for them.

Only been to Kiddi once and thought it was a bit of a dump. The town i mean, not the club
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 12:52:37 pm by Mr Kipling »

Online anfieldpurch

• Simple
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96!!
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2011, 11:45:19 pm »
11 Wins in a Row for Grantham now. They Beat Hucknall Town away 2-1. They are now 2ND in the league
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 11:47:12 pm by anfieldpurch »

Online anfieldpurch

• Simple
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96!!
« Reply #28 on: December 3, 2011, 11:21:04 pm »
Grantham Run Ended today, They lost 3-2 at home to Newcastle.

Offline El_Pistolero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: December 3, 2011, 11:22:30 pm »
Bloody hell, forgot he plays for them.

Only been to Kiddi once and thought it was a bit of a dump. The town i mean, not the club

Aye. Proper shit hole. :D

Offline jackellis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: December 3, 2011, 11:27:15 pm »
Will probably end up going down to Southport this season.  Got afew players in their team that I like, and they seem to be absolutely flying.  Sad thing about Southport as a town, is its full of either plastic Liverpool fans or plastic Mancs that have never been to a game in their life.  Their reason for not watching Southport is probably "because they're crap".  But if EVERY plastic football fan in Southport went to see them play, the extra income would transform them 10 fold.

There's a good amount of plastic Mancs but I'd hardly call the Reds from Southport plastic (in most cases, not blowing my own trumpet being from Southport myself). I'd say the best supported teams in Southport are Everton and Liverpool (for geographical reasons) and the Mancs for anyone left over who hasn't had a football upbringing. In short, fucking gloryhunters. Same as anywhere close to Liverpool, but not Liverpool itself- St. Helens, Ormskirk etc.

I have to agree with your last point about people going to see Southport play, but the problem with the town is that the team has a frighteningly low profile within the town itself. Obviously it gets the back pages of the Southport Visiter or the Formby Times etc, but there is no effort to drum up any sort of support for the team in the town. There are a handful of 'proper' fans but the 1,000 odd who go the home games go simply just 'to watch'. I'll admit I've been a couple of times for that reason. I just don't care about them or their results. The atmosphere is crap and the chairman, Charlie Clapham, doesn't give two shits.
« Last Edit: December 3, 2011, 11:35:12 pm by jackellis »
Just think- next time I shoot someone, I could be arrested.

Offline WEST HAM PAUL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: December 4, 2011, 11:56:37 am »
Saw Chelmsford City v Macclesfield in the FA cup yesterday finished 1-1. A really good crowd of 2,919 .

It was a decent game and chelmsford held there own and finished the stronger in the last 10 mins. Would love to go to the replay at Macclesfield but dont think ill get the time off work.
Fortunes Always Hiding. 

And The Sun Shines Now

• Kopite
« Reply #32 on: December 4, 2011, 12:06:17 pm »
Hoping AFC Totton get a result today. You can't beat early non-league rounds of the FA Cup. Proper shitholes  ;D
Voronin = Bargain.

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #33 on: September 3, 2017, 01:36:47 pm »

In the Bostik League (aka Isthmian League) yesterday... Ashford vs Horsham...

^ from https://twitter.com/theballisround/status/904274495644545024

btw - https://theballisround.co.uk/ is a superb site and well worth a look at.
« Last Edit: September 3, 2017, 02:02:44 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #34 on: September 3, 2017, 03:40:13 pm »
In the Bostik League (aka Isthmian League) yesterday... Ashford vs Horsham...

^ from https://twitter.com/theballisround/status/904274495644545024

btw - https://theballisround.co.uk/ is a superb site and well worth a look at.

Was the match official in yellow kit to make it a full trifecta? :wave

Pitch is in nice shape...

Non-league done right, except for the away team change strip... ;)
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Wilmo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2022, 07:42:14 pm »
Looking to start getting to games in the Nottingham/Carlton area- any suggestions? preferably places with a food van  ;D
'History has always shown that when we stay together we can sort out problems. When we split then we start fighting. There was not one time in history where division creates success.' - Klopp

Offline PaddingtonRed

• Kemlynite
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2022, 10:03:42 pm »
Looking to start getting to games in the Nottingham/Carlton area- any suggestions? preferably places with a food van  ;D

Notts County, I still can't get my head around they're non league

Hucknall Town

Online Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2022, 11:01:24 pm »
Been some chat of the National League over in the Championship thread, which itself has morphed into more of a Football League thread due to a lack of separate threads for each division.

Stockport look like they’re coming back to the league and I’d really rather they wouldn’t, horrible club, horrible owners, loads of City fans in their fanbase and a runaway budget. Rather Wrexham came up, at least they’re somewhat likeable due to their owners.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline AllyouneedisRush

• One leg, musical nostrils, itchy crotch. Is actually Louis Walsh.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2022, 09:59:15 am »
Been some chat of the National League over in the Championship thread, which itself has morphed into more of a Football League thread due to a lack of separate threads for each division.

Stockport look like they’re coming back to the league and I’d really rather they wouldn’t, horrible club, horrible owners, loads of City fans in their fanbase and a runaway budget. Rather Wrexham came up, at least they’re somewhat likeable due to their owners.

Wrexham will win the play offs.. Both them and Stockport are bank rolled massively .. Them being the top 2 is no surprise to me.

And I'd expect them both to go through league 2 next season...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 10:13:26 am by AllyouneedisRush »
Justice 97 - YNWA

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2022, 10:53:48 am »
Wrexham will win the play offs.. Both them and Stockport are bank rolled massively .. Them being the top 2 is no surprise to me.

And I'd expect them both to go through league 2 next season...

Are they wealthier than Salford? Only I remember similar thinking with them, but they haven't got close to getting out of League 2 yet.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.