Author Topic: 1950 FA Cup Final Team  (Read 44211 times)

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
1950 FA Cup Final Team
« on: February 27, 2009, 05:45:54 am »
A mate of mine bought me a copy of 'Picture Post' from April 1950 at a recent auction.

I thought I'd scan the pics of the Liverpool team for those of us under the age of 70 who've never seen them.... :P

So here we go:

Two pics of Cyril Sidlow (including the cover pic):

Phil Taylor (Captain)

Laurie Hughes

Eddie Spicer and Ray Lambert

Bob Paisley (who sadly didn't get picked for the Final)

Bill Jones (on the right, not as it says in the caption, on the left)

Kevin Baron

Albert Stubbins

Billy Liddell

Jimmy Payne and Willie Fagan

We lost 2 nil to the Arsenal that year on our first ever visit to Wembley, but we didn't have too bad a record from 1965 on...

« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 10:59:27 am by Redsnappa »

Offline Dan86

• Kopite
Re: 1950 FA Cup Final Team
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 06:04:20 am »
The first two photos are superb. Cyril Sidlow a fraction of a second from getting clattered in both.
"if you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later"
- Bob Paisley

Offline TheLeftSide

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 09:09:33 am »
Wow!

I've only seen two of those before. The corner of the KOP and main stand (where the boys pen was in the sixties) on the Bill Jones picture is breathtaking  (rising up through the mist).

Thanks for posting that.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 10:24:01 am »
Wow!

I've only seen two of those before. The corner of the KOP and main stand (where the boys pen was in the sixties) on the Bill Jones picture is breathtaking  (rising up through the mist).

Thanks for posting that.
That raises a point Lefty...

We're at home and Bill Jones (if the caption has it right) is wearing white....so why are we in our Away kit in a Home game?

???

EDIT: I think the caption's wrong. The player on the right looks like Laurie Hughes to me, so we ARE in Red and that's not Bill Jones at all, unless he was playing for someone else (Charlton?) at the time....
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 10:28:47 am by Redsnappa »

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 10:27:05 am »
Thanks for posting those pictures !
It's really hard to find some good pictures from our black and white past.

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 10:44:40 am »

We're at home and Bill Jones (if the caption has it right) is wearing white....so why are we in our Away kit in a Home game?

???

EDIT: I think the caption's wrong. The player on the right looks like Laurie Hughes to me, so we ARE in Red and that's not Bill Jones at all, unless he was playing for someone else (Charlton?) at the time....

think Jones would be the one on the right in the home kit?

Bill Jones

Laurie Hughes
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 10:57:54 am »
think Jones would be the one on the right in the home kit?

Bill Jones

Laurie Hughes

Nice one Phil, thats that sorted then. Good man, I'll edit the pic.

Offline TheLeftSide

• Anny Roader
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 12:31:32 pm »

???

I think Jones is on the right and the caption is wrong

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 01:03:57 pm »
Thanks for putting those pics up. There are not many places to see those players now.

The 1950 FAC Final was my first time of seeing the Reds in action.
Not at Wembley but on a 12" black and white TV at a place in Essex whilst my Dad and Uncle went to the game after we travelled down on the Crosville overnight.

I was a nipper and went to family friends who were all southerners and Arsenal fans to boot. At the end they were all cheering, so I went out the back door into the garden with the biggest lump in my throat I've ever had even now.

They quickly realised my pain and brought me back in to treat me to lemonade, cakes and sympathy.  :)

I remember that flat cap Sidlow had on which they all wore. They lasted well into the fifties, not sure when the baseball type arrived on the scene.

The 2001 FAC Final was sweet revenge although at one stage I feared my young grand-son at my side was going to endure a similar fate.

We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline TheLeftSide

• Anny Roader
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 01:06:53 pm »
I love these pictures.

Black and white pictures seem to capture the old Anfield the way it seemed to be when I was a kid.

Like a magical Shangri-la that was always covered in a cloak of mist. You could feel that warm dampness all around as you gazed awestruck through the railings of the pen before you were rudely brought back to reality by the disappearance off your sherbet lemons from the pocket of your duffel coat.   

Offline TheLeftSide

• Anny Roader
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 01:08:43 pm »
Thanks for putting those pics up. There are not many places to see those players now.

The 1950 FAC Final was my first time of seeing the Reds in action.
Not at Wembley but on a 12" black and white TV at a place in Essex whilst my Dad and Uncle went to the game after we travelled down on the Crosville overnight.

I was a nipper and went to family friends who were all southerners and Arsenal fans to boot. At the end they were all cheering, so I went out the back door into the garden with the biggest lump in my throat I've ever had even now.

They quickly realised my pain and brought me back in to treat me to lemonade, cakes and sympathy.  :)

I remember that flat cap Sidlow had on which they all wore. They lasted well into the fifties, not sure when the baseball type arrived on the scene.

The 2001 FAC Final was sweet revenge although at one stage I feared my young grand-son at my side was going to endure a similar fate.

Must have been one of the first cup finals on telly.

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 01:15:02 pm »
Must have been one of the first cup finals on telly.

Yes I hadn't thought about when they started showing them.

We didn't have a telly for some years later but I did see the Matthews final on a neighbours 12" set.

I'll do some searching to see if it was the first to be shown.

You were lucky you didn't get your sweets removed as you went up the steps!

« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 01:17:08 pm by redtel »
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline Party Phil

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 01:17:23 pm »
The 1938 F.A. Cup Final between Preston North End and Huddersfield Town was the first to be transmitted live on BBC Television

Offline scouse-kenny

• Main Stander
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 01:17:44 pm »
that first one has to be a free kick
The Albert is always full of Whoppers

Offline TheLeftSide

• Anny Roader
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 01:25:35 pm »
that first one has to be a free kick

Not in them days.
It was permanent open season on keepers.

Offline TheLeftSide

• Anny Roader
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2009, 01:28:52 pm »

You were lucky you didn't get your sweets removed as you went up the steps!

Kept my hands in my pockets and my eyes to the floor!

Offline TheLeftSide

• Anny Roader
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2009, 01:32:44 pm »
The 1938 F.A. Cup Final between Preston North End and Huddersfield Town was the first to be transmitted live on BBC Television

So that makes this the seventh?

Offline Party Phil

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2009, 01:34:52 pm »
So that makes this the seventh?

6th I think. No FA Cup between 1939-40 and 1944-45

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2011, 09:15:47 pm »
Sorry to bump such an old topic but found this to be the most relevant.  Found this (and a whole load of other papers) in the recycling bins in work the other week, couldn't bare to see it go to waste so I'm scanning in the pages for sentimental reasons and thought I'd share them with you :)  That pic is a small version but the full version I've uploaded to photobucket.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/stuey_182/Sport%201950%20FA%20Cup%20Final/img004.jpg

I'll get onto the rest of the pages as soon as I can, I just have a 1500 word essay to handwrite before I do.  Hope you enjoy!  The inner contents are pretty good :)
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Kwaideng

• Hamshank Redemption
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2011, 10:25:54 pm »
Well done lads!  Dear aul Laurie Hughes passed away just recently R.I.P. Nice to see them in their pomp.
The clique is just a click away.
And they are being watched too, but don't know it.

Offline Cleveland_Red

• Anny Roader
  • Cleveland Is The City-Liverpool Is The Life
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2011, 11:39:16 pm »
Sorry to bump such an old topic but found this to be the most relevant.  Found this (and a whole load of other papers) in the recycling bins in work the other week, couldn't bare to see it go to waste so I'm scanning in the pages for sentimental reasons and thought I'd share them with you :)  That pic is a small version but the full version I've uploaded to photobucket.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/stuey_182/Sport%201950%20FA%20Cup%20Final/img004.jpg

I'll get onto the rest of the pages as soon as I can, I just have a 1500 word essay to handwrite before I do.  Hope you enjoy!  The inner contents are pretty good :)

Thanks for salvaging them and uploading here!
"Football in many ways mirrors the society that we have become, self obsessed and shallow."

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2011, 08:05:18 am »

???

In those days in the FA cup if there was a colour clash then the home team changed colours. I went to Anfield for an FA cup game against Accrington Stanley and was quite surprised to see our team in Old Gold shirts and white shorts
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 08:08:00 am by vicgill »
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline Mad Max

• Propa bad Wool. tried it just for once found it all right for kicks. but now you found out that it's a habit that sticks.
  • Boys Pen
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2011, 09:20:31 am »
Bob Paisley should never have been left out of the cup final team after scoring against Everton in the semi final.

Offline readybreck

• road
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2011, 09:45:28 am »
Absolutely superb,

Offline Kemlyn 28

• Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2011, 05:42:07 pm »
Not in them days.
It was permanent open season on keepers.

More like the fact that keepers were allowed to be challenged in those days,much better than it is now when you're penalised for going anywhere near them.
  Great pictures.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2011, 07:04:48 pm »
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline tdogssc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2011, 07:47:47 pm »
Awesome, thank you for sharing

Offline BUSHMILLS

• PEBBLEHOUSE. Your auntie's agent provocateur.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never ask what's under his patio
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2011, 03:13:43 pm »
Great pics.

Sadly, I think Phil Taylor and Jimmy Payne are the only surviving players.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2011, 03:36:56 pm »
Great pics.

Sadly, I think Phil Taylor and Jimmy Payne are the only surviving players.

That sounds correct. Phil Taylor was 94 in September. I am pretty sure he is in a residential nursing-home.

Jimmy Payne became 85 years old last March.

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2011, 10:44:01 am »
A fuckin TRAGEDY in footballing terms.......

Arsenal Kicked the shite out of Billy Liddell for the entire 90 minutes
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2011, 10:52:35 am »
A fuckin TRAGEDY in footballing terms.......

Arsenal Kicked the shite out of Billy Liddell for the entire 90 minutes

I know mate, my dad was furious when he got home from the game.
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2011, 11:54:00 pm »
Love threads like this, it brings back memories and stories that my dad used to tell us. Wished I'd have listened to him even more.

Liverpool away as a kid, all I can remember was him finishing work on a Thursday and him going the Eden Vale, my Mum going ape at us, and him going with his mates in some grotty old Anglia to THAT London not returning until the Sunday night, wash and shave then straight to work.     
A boy from the Mersey and a Son of Shankly.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2011, 12:06:36 am »
Great job Redsnappa. The photos evoke a time and place long gone. Those packed terraces when football was truly the people's game - a sort massive working-class secret that only hit the national consciousness on FA Cup Final day. 
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2012, 06:41:27 pm »
Well done lads!  Dear aul Laurie Hughes passed away just recently R.I.P. Nice to see them in their pomp.

Laurie was a great centre half, when he retired from football he opened a  newsagents and sweet shop in Tuebrook

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2012, 07:06:55 pm »
Bob Paisley should never have been left out of the cup final team after scoring against Everton in the semi final.

There were some really tough desicions taken in those days, only eleven players went onto the pitch, there was always the twealth man (1st reserve) but he could only play if a team member fell ill or hurt himself BEFORE the team sheets were handed to the referee.

Offline andy in warrington

• ...wanking in the work bogs
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: November 3, 2012, 11:19:04 am »
In the Liverpool team was Kevin Baron, whose brother Gerard tragically died at Hillsborough.

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #36 on: November 3, 2012, 08:02:10 pm »
In the Liverpool team was Kevin Baron, whose brother Gerard tragically died at Hillsborough.

Never knew that. :(

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2012, 02:28:35 am »
Laurie was a great centre half, when he retired from football he opened a  newsagents and sweet shop in Tuebrook
Yep, it was on Lisburn Lane just a pitching wedge from where we lived.

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2012, 08:47:37 am »
Billy Liddell, The Accountant, Burser of Liverpool University, Magistrate and Part-time Footballer for Liverpool Football Club.
Never mind, Hero or Legend to me he will always be KING BILLY.
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2012, 09:23:35 pm »

Kevin Baron was only 44 when he died in 1971. :o :'(
#Sausages