Author Topic: Alcohol Issues - The Carl van Riel Memorial Thread  (Read 1014077 times)

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
Re: Alcohol Issues - The Carl van Riel Memorial Thread
« Reply #12320 on: March 22, 2019, 11:47:54 am »
For medical reasons had to cut down or stop drinking recently.  so just decided to stop and four weeks in I am suprisingly not missing it at all,  i think i was drinking out of habit rather than for enjoyment.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12321 on: March 22, 2019, 11:55:58 am »
i think i was drinking out of habit rather than for enjoyment.

Like a lot of people
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #12322 on: March 22, 2019, 02:56:56 pm »
snip

Thanks for sharing that....pretty powerful stuff.
Resonates with me a bit, though I actually do know that the person in my life is drinking too much.....he knows it and does not care. Doesn't want to change or get help for it....other loved ones have tried and failed to get through to him too. I have tried and failed for a long time.

Feel pretty helpless about it and have just tried telling myself to enjoy the moments I have with him and not encourage the behavior but at the moment ignore it essentially and hope that it doesn't have a fatal effect, not sure what else to do
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #12323 on: March 26, 2019, 08:11:08 pm »
Help.

How can you tell if an alcoholic is absolutely beyond saving? At what point is it no longer worth trying to reason with one and instead effectively leave them to their own devices and step back to see if they can after all pull themselves out........or not?

Has anyone done that? Did it work? If it didn't, was there guilt and blame attached?

I'm at the point where I have no clue what to do other than to call him out on his shit and tell him he's the only one who can sort it. I can't keep being angry with him, or disappointed - it's not me he's letting down, it's himself, and I know I cannot afford to take on the emotional responsibility.........

So, as his son, what do you lot think IS my responsibility??

Help. I'm very confused - and I fear he's beyond help and I fear my next trip to see him will be to bury him, for real :(

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12324 on: March 27, 2019, 07:26:36 am »
Everybody has to lead their own life. The will to change has to come from him. You can only support him, not do it for him.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12325 on: March 27, 2019, 08:26:20 am »
Everybody has to lead their own life. The will to change has to come from him. You can only support him, not do it for him.

But support how..... bear his load with him? When my support is either ignored or when trust is betrayed, at what point does one back off and effectively go into self preservation mode?

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #12326 on: March 27, 2019, 01:53:02 pm »
I found this account of detoxing from alcohol on Reddit, so I'm putting it up here, for what it's worth.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tifu/comments/b5zkli/tifu_by_detoxing_myself_and_it_nearly_cost_me_my/

Obligatory this happened 2 weeks ago

I had been dieseling through a handle* of cheap vodka every other day for over a year. I've never been much of a drinker, but several traumatic events had transpired in a very short amount of time, so I began drinking more to help me cope. I would never consider drinking during the day or before work, but it helped me get through the day. Mixed drinks slowly gave way to straight shots of vodka. I would wake up at 7 am, feed the cat and take several shots. This continued well into the evening until I passed out on the couch or my bed. I started working at a local department store and the schedule was perfect as I didn't have to be in till1pm so I could wake up early, take several shots and sleep on the couch till noon then get ready for work; taking a couple of swigs on my way out the door. I'd get home around 10 pm and drink until I passed out.

This past February is when the shakes started, usually near the end of my shift. I'd get home, have a few shots and everything would be fine. What was disturbing was my memory loss. I was repeating stories, unsure of what day is was and I even forgot to pick up my nephew from school. Dusk and Dawn were the worst, it took me a few minutes to figure out if was day or night. I knew something had to change. Two Saturdays ago I bought a handle in the afternoon and it was gone by Sunday evening. I woke up Monday morning feeling awful. I was shaking, queasy and terribly off balance, but I didn't drink. By the afternoon I was feeling better and I figured I would get through this. I went to visit my sister and was having a glass of wine and a cigarette out on her back porch when I began to vomit all over her back deck. It was then that the shakes returned with a vengeance.

I went home and crashed on the couch. I woke up around 5 am and spent 20 minutes dry-heaving in the bathroom. I tried drinking water, but my hands were shaking so bad that it took both of them to steady the glass. I went back to the couch and drifted in and out of sleep for the majority of the morning. Sometime after noon, I went to get my cat some water, but my hand began to convulse uncontrollably. I tried to steady it with my other hand, but I spilled water everywhere; that was the last thing I remembered. I was laying on my stomach on the living room floor when I noticed a Police Officer standing over me. I had no idea where I was or what had happened. I tried to get to my feet but collapsed onto the couch. My coffee table had been completely turned upside down and its contents were strewn all about the room. My mouth was in so much pain and I saw chunks of blood on the floor where I had been laying. The Officer helped me get my shoes and coat on and assisted me out into the hall.

There were 2 more Officers waiting outside and the helped me down the stairs to an ambulance. The paramedics were asking me questions, but I couldn't answer their questions. once in the Emergency Room, the Doctors and Nurses bombarded me with questions that I could barely answer. My main concern was the throbbing inside my mouth. One of the nurses explained to me that I had chewed off part of my tongue as that was one of the effects of having a seizure. I was admitted later in the evening and that was my sister and nephew came to see me. I could tell by the look in her eyes I was in very bad shape.

I was hooked up to several different machines with IV tubes in both arms and a blood pressure cuff that sat snuggly on my left bicep that inflated every 15 minutes; I was on the brink of complete coronary failure. Over the next 3 days and nights I was a prisoner to my bed. There were sensors that would trigger an alarm if my legs went to far over the bed, if I tried to sit up it would set them off as well. If had to pee, they brought me a plastic jug and I had piss in the bed with an audience. Every 30 minutes the blood pressure guff would inflate and take a reading followed by a nurse coming in and injecting medicine into my IVs. The worst part was I couldn't eat and barely drink because of the pain in my tongue. My speech was incomprehensible as my tongue was so swollen. Everyday my sister came to visit and told me she had gone to my apartment to check on my cat and make sure everything was locked up; she even cleaned up the chunks of tongue off the floor.

By Friday afternoon I was stable enough to go home, but with strict limitations. No driving, no strenuous tasks and lots of medication. This past Friday I finally started eating solid food again; after 2 weeks of pureed food it was like heaven to eat a chicken salad sandwich. Everyday I get a little stronger and feel a lot better. I still have trouble with my memory, but I think its good that I don't remember too much about the last year. I spoke to my neighbor; the one who called 911. He told me he had heard me fall and came banging on my door. When I didn't answer he went around to my back door and saw me laying on the floor. He said I looked at him and my face was covered in blood, that was when he called 911. I gave him a hug and he checks in on me daily. My tongue will never heal, but it's a small price to pay to remind me never do that again.

*Handle is apparently 1.75 litres
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 03:17:02 pm by Corkboy »

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #12327 on: March 27, 2019, 03:10:17 pm »
Help.

How can you tell if an alcoholic is absolutely beyond saving? At what point is it no longer worth trying to reason with one and instead effectively leave them to their own devices and step back to see if they can after all pull themselves out........or not?

Has anyone done that? Did it work? If it didn't, was there guilt and blame attached?

I'm at the point where I have no clue what to do other than to call him out on his shit and tell him he's the only one who can sort it. I can't keep being angry with him, or disappointed - it's not me he's letting down, it's himself, and I know I cannot afford to take on the emotional responsibility.........

So, as his son, what do you lot think IS my responsibility??

Help. I'm very confused - and I fear he's beyond help and I fear my next trip to see him will be to bury him, for real :(

Alcoholism is a horrible thing for both the alcoholic and all those who love and care for them.

A big problem is that we can only help people who also want to help themselves. Sadly, many alcoholics don't genuinely want to help themselves. I used to go out with a woman who couldn't handle alcohol, but wouldn't give it up. In the early days of our relationship I called AA for advice and explained our situation. I told them how she wasn't the type of drinker who gets out of bed and pours a gin and tonic. She wouldn't sit in all day downing cans or bottles of wine, either. Thing is, every time we went anywhere, be it a pub, a club, on holiday or whatever, she would get absolutely hammered then become aggressive, abusive and violent. She also went off on one in Portugal and come back next morning telling me she had been raped by a number of men. She attacked me and smashed a hotel room up on another holiday, too. I loved this woman, but these issues revolving around alcohol were killing us. AA advised me to leave for my own sanity.

I stuck in there, because I did love her deeply, for seven years, but in the end the alcohol-driven violence and abuse saw me walk. I tried everything. I supported her through counselling. I tried my best to support her with the underlying issues that drove the drinking. I let the abuse, the violence, the destruction go far too many times. Any support she wanted, I would give her, but it was never enough. Nothing ever seems to be enough. As I said, I eventually walked in order to save my own sanity. I'm a tryer and I will help and support anyone I can, particularly those I love, but this whole thing defeated me. I had to choose between her taking me down with her, or me salvaging my own self-worth and my own sanity. There was a tipping point where I realised she was not going to take responsibility for herself and her recovery, so I couldn't either.

I also have a friend whose daughter is alcoholic. To cut a long story short, her antics in drink split a lovely family, resulted in police action, has seen one of their kids emotionally traumatised and in therapy and the things my friend witnessed from her daughter were the depths of degredation. Now, my friend is probably the strongest, most level-headed person I know, but this whole issue with her daughter almost killed her. The problem is, her daughter will take no personal responsibility for anything. It's all someone else's fault. My friend had to pull back for her own sanity. Being blood, she will always be there as a support and encouragement, but all trust is now gone, because it was broken far too many times before.

I suppose I'm just relating this because there are two scenarios with the same basic tread running through them. Namely, the unwillingness to take responsibility in the alcoholic, and the fact that those around them have to decide for themselves if, where and when they draw the line and withdraw for their own good.

The old saying that you can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink, is so true. The person with the problem has to actually want change, seek change and commit to change, otherwise, the status quo remains. Change is damn hard. It can be very painful too, and many prefer the more comfortable, yet destructive, status quo to the uncertainty and painful challege of change. People don't just drink themselves to death and ruin their lives for the hell of it, though. People drink like this for a reason. For instance, as a lifelong sufferer of a debilitating anxiety disorder I used to drink myself into a 'sociable state' before I could even get out of the front door. Of course, I'd take it too far and end up ill, arrested or making a complete twat of myself in public. I was alcohol dependent when it came to going out, but in the end I took responsibility for myself and turned it around. I wasn't totally immersed in it though, and tackling the underlying issues helped me more than anything. Drinking was the symptom, not the underlying issue. For me, drinking to the point of self-destruction is a maladaptive coping strategy, so it's a symptom of the real, underlying problem. Addressing those is, for me, the most important thing, because it's those that drive the drinking. The way I see it, it's far harder to quit excessive drinking in order to cope with life if the underlying problems that drive the drinking remain unaddressed.

When people use alcohol and other drugs in such a self-destructive and defeating way, I always wonder what they are running away from? What are they scared of? What is causing their distress and anxiety? What are they avoiding in life? Are they avoiding or numbing out internal worries/thoughts or is it external issues? Is it both? Can any of these things be addressed? Thing is, most people will not give up their coping strategy unless they find and utilise a more productive one or while the real problem goes unaddressed. The problem with such maladaptive coping strategies are that they only make you feel better for a very short time, then you feel worse. Rather than make life better, they ultimately destroy quality of life as well as further damage mental and physical health.

Does your dad want help? If so, you could help him seek it and support him with encouragement towards his efforts, but ultimately it's all down to him. The work can only be done by him. The responsibility for recovery has to be his and his alone.

After my friend's daughter destroyed her family through drink, she had to pull back for her own sanity. Thankfully, her daughter has gone on to make positive changes, although still does accept responsibility for the issues she has in life. AA helped her with the drink, but as the underlying issues that drove it stay unresolved, I do fear for the future with her. I wish her all the very best, of course. Her mum is encouraging, but will never trust her again.

My ex? She told me some years later she'd had therapy and ''was better now'' but I've also heard on the grapevine that some nights out have gone the same disastrous way that they did when I was with her.

Do I and/or my friend feel guilt for eventually drawing the line? No, neither of us do. The reason being that we did everything possible to help. We were there for years, trying, supporting, encouraging etc, but you can only be assaulted so many times. Only be lied to and betrayed so many times. Only see people you love destroy everything and everyone they say they care about so many times, too. Everything we ever did to support and help was eventually thrown back in our faces, often with glee, too. When you know you've done all you can, there is no reason to feel guilt.

Many an alcoholic may use the tactical withdrawal of their exasperated and devastated loved ones as another stick to beat those loved ones with, but the reality of that is it's just another convenient way of deflecting responsibility onto anyone and everyone but themselves. It's basically just guilt-tripping and emotional manipulation, be that deliberate or unconscious.

I feel for you, I really do. These situations are tragic and horribly frustrating. I had to learn the hard way that we cannot save people. People have to take responsibility for saving themselves and their lives. All we can do then is encourage them as best as we can with their efforts and be there for them if they need to talk. If/where you draw the line is up to you. I certainly hope your dad can turn this around, though.

All the best, mate. Take care of yourself.

EDIT: Sorry if that is a useless ramble. I realise I went on a bit there.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 03:24:34 pm by Sons of pioneerS »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12328 on: March 27, 2019, 03:38:19 pm »
^Great post, that

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #12329 on: March 27, 2019, 03:58:42 pm »
This is also a good resource.....

https://www.reddit.com/r/stopdrinking/

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12330 on: March 27, 2019, 06:32:27 pm »
But support how..... bear his load with him? When my support is either ignored or when trust is betrayed, at what point does one back off and effectively go into self preservation mode?

By support I mean, just let him know you are still there for him. Call him, talk to him. Help him with non-drink related issues.

But if that is too hard and is destroying you, draw a line. Don't let his illness kill the both of you.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12331 on: March 31, 2019, 08:28:34 am »
By support I mean, just let him know you are still there for him. Call him, talk to him. Help him with non-drink related issues.

But if that is too hard and is destroying you, draw a line. Don't let his illness kill the both of you.
Thank you............

Meanwhile, this just hit the Beeb page.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-47751285

More adults seeking support for alcoholic parents

The article cites the National Association for Children of Alcoholic Parents. This is the charity that YOU all helped support, since the balance from the fundraiser for Carl's funeral against the actual costs was donated to NACAO. Thank you.

Excerpt:

The National Association for the Children of Alcoholics (NACOA) supports those who have lived through childhood with their parent's alcohol problems. They also offer help to people whose parent's issues emerged in later life.

Stephanie Page, a helpline supervisor at the the charity, said: "The feelings of guilt have been born out of the anger and resentment towards their parent but they still love them so they feel guilty about feeling that sort of way towards them."

She also said that people whose parents began drinking later tend to face a different set of challenges.

"The parent may have retired and is lonely; they may have had issues adjusting to retirement. The adult child of the alcoholic often finds that really difficult because they haven't seen this side of them before and they may not know what to do.

"It can be really surreal seeing this side to your parent."

A Department of Health and Social Care spokesperson said it can be "incredibly damaging for a young person to grow up with an alcoholic parent and can lead to lifelong harm".

"We are investing £6m to support children of dependent parents, and services including alcohol treatment and mental health services are available for people who are suffering the impact of parental drinking as adults."

The spokesman said every person admitted to hospital showing signs of alcohol dependence in the 25% worst affected parts of the country will be offered "targeted help to stop".

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12332 on: April 6, 2019, 10:12:09 am »
I had quite a drunk December but I've now been sober since early January and I think this time it's going to stick.

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #12333 on: April 20, 2019, 04:30:13 pm »
Some of you may remember Paul or as he was known here "And could he play".

I've kept contact to him since he was helped out of here and for a long time he's been doing good. He got engaged to a lovely girl, who also happened to be Rickie Lambert's sister. All in all everything was good until about a month ago or so. Since then things have been going downhill for him. He's started drinking heavily again, he's gotten in very bad standing with his own family + his future in laws and today was the low point so far.

He's been on a 4 day bender and his fiancee has thrown him out after an incident involving her son and Paul. Paul kicked completely off over the fact that the boy misses his real dad which Paul finds disrespectful so he gave him a bollocking in front of his fiancee for not appreciating all the things Pauls does for him etc.

I finally got in touch with Paul earlier and he's shitfaced to say the least. He's upset over his situation and the fact that he's pissed everything he had down the drain and the fact that he can't get hold of his things which are still at his fiancee's house, including his laptop from which he runs his business. So after speaking to him several times this afternoon and convincing him to go and sleep it off in a room his brother has paid for he instead went to his fiancee's house and smashed a window to get in and now they've called the police on him. I don't know if he's been arrested or what.

The thing is he's in a really bad place mentally but he doesn't have the balls to ask for help himself. I've tried to get him to go to the doc and get professional help several times. As has his fiancee but he's refusing it. I'm in Copenhagen and I obviously don't know the English welfare system so I can't guide him in what to do.

I was thinking if any of you Liverpool based people perhaps could help me/Paul out here and help get him in some kind of treatment if that's even possible?

I know this is a big ask but I just can't ignore him and his problems. Ta... :wave

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12334 on: April 20, 2019, 11:07:57 pm »
Hi mate, that is really sad to hear but I'm not sure what we can do for him.

It sounds like if he is receptive to help his brother will offer it. Treatment for that is a 5 minute walk away from anyone in this country if you're prepared to seek it.

I know that's not helpful but it sounds like he's on a self destructive mission at the moment.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #12335 on: April 20, 2019, 11:42:02 pm »
Bennekov is an amazing person.

Can I just say that?

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12336 on: April 21, 2019, 02:53:00 pm »
Hi mate, that is really sad to hear but I'm not sure what we can do for him.

It sounds like if he is receptive to help his brother will offer it. Treatment for that is a 5 minute walk away from anyone in this country if you're prepared to seek it.

I know that's not helpful but it sounds like he's on a self destructive mission at the moment.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks for your reply, John.

It was a long shot  I know. As you say he's on a self destructive mission and it seems no one is able to get through to him. I think he might've spent the night in jail but I haven't been able to get in touch with him today.

Thanks again. :)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12337 on: April 21, 2019, 02:53:20 pm »

Can I just say that?

Thank you. Appreciate it. :)

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #12338 on: April 21, 2019, 03:56:58 pm »
The thing is he's in a really bad place mentally but he doesn't have the balls to ask for help himself. I've tried to get him to go to the doc and get professional help several times. As has his fiancee but he's refusing it.

I'm sorry to hear all of that. He always seemed like a sound fella on here

As for him refusing help/treatment, there's nothing you can really do Tom. Even if you managed to convince him to try it for his families sake, it's a 99% certainty that he'll go straight back to drinking once he's out. There's no use in him doing it to appease others. That wont get him well

If he wants to get sober then he has to firstly acknowledge his problem (come out of denial) and then he has to want to do it for himself. Until he reaches that point, no rehab center, no doctor, and no therapist in the world can help him kick his problem

When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12339 on: April 21, 2019, 04:13:23 pm »
I'm sorry to hear all of that. He always seemed like a sound fella on here

As for him refusing help/treatment, there's nothing you can really do Tom. Even if you managed to convince him to try it for his families sake, it's a 99% certainty that he'll go straight back to drinking once he's out. There's no use in him doing it to appease others. That wont get him well

If he wants to get sober then he has to firstly acknowledge his problem (come out of denial) and then he has to want to do it for himself. Until he reaches that point, no rehab center, no doctor, and no therapist in the world can help him kick his problem

Thanks for replying, Billy.

I was fearing that answer but somewhere deep within I knew even before I asked. How's that for denial, eh? :sad

I'll keep trying to push him into acknowledging his demons and hopefully that'll be enough at some point.

Enjoy the match lads! :wave

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #12340 on: April 21, 2019, 06:29:58 pm »
Thanks for replying, Billy.

I was fearing that answer but somewhere deep within I knew even before I asked. How's that for denial, eh? :sad

I'll keep trying to push him into acknowledging his demons and hopefully that'll be enough at some point.

Enjoy the match lads! :wave

Tom, next time you're talking to Paul, mention to him that I was asking for him

Tell him that if he'd like someone to talk to in private, outside of his family and off the record, then I'd be happy to get on the phone with him

Even if all it is is a few text exchanges on WhatsApp, I'd still be happy to listen and offer any help/support/advice that I can

Let him know the offer is there. I can shoot you over my contact details via PM if he goes for it
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #12341 on: April 21, 2019, 08:37:44 pm »

Can I just say that?

I'd like to echo this 10 fold

You're one of a kind Tom!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12342 on: April 21, 2019, 09:08:10 pm »
Tom, next time you're talking to Paul, mention to him that I was asking for him

Tell him that if he'd like someone to talk to in private, outside of his family and off the record, then I'd be happy to get on the phone with him

Even if all it is is a few text exchanges on WhatsApp, I'd still be happy to listen and offer any help/support/advice that I can

Let him know the offer is there. I can shoot you over my contact details via PM if he goes for it

I will tell him, Billy. Hopefully you have the magic words to make him realize it's time now. :)

I'd like to echo this 10 fold

You're one of a kind Tom!

Ta, Billy. Means a lot coming from you. :)

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12343 on: April 21, 2019, 09:40:56 pm »
det er ikke mange som deg tom.. håber paul kan fight his demons. mvh lars
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12344 on: April 27, 2019, 07:59:28 am »
det er ikke mange som deg tom.. håber paul kan fight his demons. mvh lars

Tak, Johnny! 😊

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12345 on: April 27, 2019, 08:03:01 am »
I haven’t been able to get in touch with Paul since last Saturday. It seems he’s been cut off by his family because of things in the past. His brother has stopped giving him money for a room because he basically drinks it all away before he even gets it.

According to his ex he’s alive but she’s trying to get on with her life and doesn’t want him around anymore.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12346 on: April 27, 2019, 10:30:19 am »
Thanks for the update mate. It's very sad to hear all that, he was a large part of this site at one point and it's grim to hear about a Red, or indeed anyone going downhill like that.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12347 on: April 27, 2019, 11:03:18 am »
He had a really successful leaflet business at one point didn’t he? (Or am I mixing him up with someone else?)
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12348 on: April 27, 2019, 01:10:50 pm »
He had a really successful leaflet business at one point didn’t he? (Or am I mixing him up with someone else?)
Yep, he did.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #12349 on: April 27, 2019, 01:27:45 pm »

You're correct mate. Same fella. Himself, Carl and myself used to frequent this thread quite a lot 5+ years ago. I remember him sharing quite a few stories about going on benders and then talking about how he planned to stay sober for a while. Then he'd show up in the thread a day or two later with another story about his latest drinking spree. He was a good lad but was, and it appears he still is, in complete denial about his problem and what he needs to do to fix it.

I think Paul's problem is that he thinks everything will works itself out eventually. He thinks that in time, he'll manage to get a grip on things, but as Tom's account evidences, he wont. His circumstances may have changed over the last 5 years but the carnage is exactly the same as it's always been. He's like a tornado, nice to look at from a distance, but if he crosses your path then he will proceed to wreck you and everything around you. Not because he's a bad guy at heart. It's because sadly, that's just the unfortunate nature of the illness that he has 

Real alcoholics in the true sense of the word are unable to stop of their own accord. No matter how much they want to stop, they simply cannot do it. Willpower avails us nothing. The illness is too cunning and too deep rooted in our programming for us to be able to overcome it through self-control. And therein lies Paul's problem. His willpower is NEVER going to come to his rescue EVER. Carl relied on his willpower and it ended up killing him. Again, it pains me to say it, but Paul is headed in the very same direction

The 12 steps of AA work if you work them. I can attest to that. But it's up to Paul to embrace AA. Neither I, nor anyone else can do it for him. I just hope he realizes that before its too late for him. 

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12350 on: April 27, 2019, 10:04:44 pm »
Yep, he did.
He was on twitter.  Had leaflet drop in his twitter name .....
W

Offline morrisonlfc

• Main Stander
  • Life is only a dream
« Reply #12351 on: May 1, 2019, 01:56:23 pm »
I was off the booze for around 12 weeks until my son was born on 07/03/19 and since then I've been drinking every weekend, not much but usually around 6-7 craft beers Friday and Saturday, then maybe 2/3 on a Sunday, which can be quite strong in some cases. I felt amazing when I was off it and my anxiety was non existent.

In no way do I think I'm an alcoholic but there is just a trigger that goes off when I finish work on a Friday and I feel the urge to get a few beers.

I want to break this habit as I don't want to be hungover or just feeling groggy around the little man. I know I sometimes give myself a hard time but I shouldn't really be drinking every weekend when my missus gets up with the baby, it just isn't fair.

I was only off the drink because she could have gone into labor at any time, so I know if I done it once I can do it again, but I'm just finding it hard to get back into that frame of mind again.

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12352 on: May 1, 2019, 04:32:48 pm »
I was off the booze for around 12 weeks until my son was born on 07/03/19 and since then I've been drinking every weekend, not much but usually around 6-7 craft beers Friday and Saturday, then maybe 2/3 on a Sunday, which can be quite strong in some cases. I felt amazing when I was off it and my anxiety was non existent.

In no way do I think I'm an alcoholic but there is just a trigger that goes off when I finish work on a Friday and I feel the urge to get a few beers.

I want to break this habit as I don't want to be hungover or just feeling groggy around the little man. I know I sometimes give myself a hard time but I shouldn't really be drinking every weekend when my missus gets up with the baby, it just isn't fair.

I was only off the drink because she could have gone into labor at any time, so I know if I done it once I can do it again, but I'm just finding it hard to get back into that frame of mind again.

Very similar to me, it's just habit and you can break it. I just told myself I was going to have max 3 beers, and this is key - hold off on the first one as long as you can. I used to walk in the door on a Friday and go straight to the fridge, once you do that it's a slippery slope and you've had 4 before you have your tea.

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #12353 on: May 1, 2019, 10:33:39 pm »
Sad news on Paul.

Last I heard everything was rosy and he was getting married.

Amazing how quickly this disease can take it all away from you.
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12354 on: May 2, 2019, 07:36:37 am »
Sad news on Paul.

Last I heard everything was rosy and he was getting married.

Amazing how quickly this disease can take it all away from you.

Yeah. Very sad to be honest.

I texted with his ex yesterday. She was supposed to meet him at her house. He was going to pick some of his stuff up from her place. He's alive but I have no idea of how he's doing. He has no phone at the moment. He's smashed his phone while he was shitfaced. I'll try to get in touch with his ex today and hear how he's doing.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #12355 on: May 2, 2019, 08:23:29 am »
Fucking hell that’s a sad read. Well done Bennekov (Tom?) for being so good in these situations. Wish Paul all the best please, you could tell his heart was always in the right place but that’s all so sad and self-destructive.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12356 on: May 2, 2019, 08:43:42 am »
Well done Bennekov (Tom?)

Guilty as charged, sir. :)

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #12357 on: May 2, 2019, 05:43:34 pm »
Very similar to me, it's just habit and you can break it. I just told myself I was going to have max 3 beers, and this is key - hold off on the first one as long as you can. I used to walk in the door on a Friday and go straight to the fridge, once you do that it's a slippery slope and you've had 4 before you have your tea.

I was exactly the same. Finish work Friday, glass of wine and music cooking, other glass of wine with tea, post tea glass of wine and a couple of beers watching something on the telly. The same Saturday and a bit less on Sunday.

Now no wine before or after food and a large gladd of water with my food, just a large glass or a bottle of beer watching the telly.

Feel much better

Offline The Naby Keita fan club

• Kopite
« Reply #12358 on: May 2, 2019, 10:39:36 pm »
rip Carl. Ill see you soon up there, with my 2 bottles of wine and a few beers every day, 30 fags and a couple joints. cheers

Offline A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12359 on: May 3, 2019, 09:30:39 am »
Sad to hear about Paul.

It did sound like he'd improved things, and i saw more activity from him on the likes of Linkedin for a period which suggested he was focusing on the right areas of his life.

I hope he can find some solace and refocus.