Author Topic: The NFL Thread  (Read 2749170 times)

Offline Ian H

• Kopite
Re: The NFL Thread...
« Reply #200 on: October 4, 2005, 10:39:19 am »
How are my old favourites the Redskins getting on? I dont really follow the NFL that much but used to have a soft spot for them.
more lurking than posting

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
« Reply #201 on: October 4, 2005, 11:03:46 am »
Good to see the Chargers winning two on the bounce.  Confidence should be high for the visit of the Steelers, hope I get a chance to see it.
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline Ian H

• Kopite
« Reply #202 on: October 4, 2005, 11:06:54 am »
Holy crap! i have just checked how the Redskins are getting on and they are 3 for 3 ! unheard of in recent years!
more lurking than posting

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #203 on: October 4, 2005, 12:20:59 pm »
What a fucking effort Brett...He is a fucking legend, unlucky to be 0-4, lost our last 3 games by a total of 6 points... :( :butt

what did i tell you, it was all on your defense to keep it close for a favre 4th quater comeback special, and he almost did. kinda fell sorry for the guy he doesnt really have much to work with out there and he really gives his all.

This is the first time I've ever been in this thread, I don't understand NFL sorry dudes....don't think I ever will.... :wave

it aint as difficult as people really believe, even the other half enjoyed the game we went too, cause i made her go ;D
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay calm, all is well!
« Reply #204 on: October 4, 2005, 10:11:31 pm »
Not sure if you've seen this odowd, check it out, very good article....

Reversal of fortune for Packers doesn't seem possible

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- As Brett Favre knelt watching wounded teammate Terrence Murphy lying limp on the field, only 15 yards from where the medical staff eventually strapped the young wide receiver to a backboard before wheeling him to an ambulance, Green Bay's quarterback ran his hand over his sweaty chin, rubbed his forehead, and then stared hard at the ground for a long while.

Penny for his thoughts? Well, with the Packers trailing the Carolina Panthers 23-7 at that point of the second quarter and Green Bay just 33 minutes of scoreboard time away from falling to 0-4 for the first time since 1988, the musings and reflections of the always thoughtful and provocative quarterback may have been priceless.

Priceless is what Favre's performance from that point on became. He nearly revived a Packers team that was listless and mistake-prone early before it lost 32-29.

But if the near-heroics were vintage Favre, as the future Hall of Famer finished with 303 yards and four touchdown passes and had the Packers in Carolina territory at the end of a frenetic rally, the end result was vexing for some Packers who cannot fathom how the team remains winless with the season into its second month.

"You can keep saying to yourself, 'We're too good to be in this position,' but the record is what it is and the numbers don't lie," said wide receiver Donald Driver, who rang up six catches for 92 yards and a score. "But the reality is, this is a big, big hole that we have dug. And it's going to take a lot of hard work to find a way out."

Truth be told, the critics can probably start throwing dirt on the Packers, who are likely too injured and too inept to recover from 0-4. As for Favre, well, there were a lot of media folk in the press box Monday night who were authoring pieces on his demise ... and had to reverse course.

A funny thing happened on the way to the obituary. Operating at one point minus a half-dozen players who were projected as starters, and with an offensive line assemblage that went beyond patchwork, Favre morphed into Favre in the second half. And suddenly, as evidenced by his postgame remarks, retirement was no longer a pertinent topic. At least not for now.

"As long as I'm still playing," Favre said, "I'm going to play as hard as I can. That's all I know. It's what they pay me to do. And I'm going to give people their money's worth. I think people respect that but, really, that's how everyone is supposed to play. Right now, I don't know what's going to happen. I'm not going to make any predictions."

No one could have predicted that a game so lopsided for much of the night would turn into a typical Favre-produced nail-biter.

Favre lost a fumble when sacked by Carolina defensive end Mike Rucker on the game's opening series and the Panthers turned the takeaway into a quick touchdown. Then the Packers lost a pair of starting offensive linemen, center Mike Flanagan (knee) and left tackle Chad Clifton (ankle), forcing a game of musical chairs on the blocking unit. The injury to Murphy, who had regained feeling in all of his extremities by the time he reached a local hospital, came on the kickoff after the Panthers had taken a 23-7 lead.

If the pensive Favre, kneeling on the sideline, wasn't conjuring Man, do I still need this? at that juncture, anyone who stayed awake long enough Monday night to witness the semi-debacle, or who was simply so morbidly curious that he couldn't turn away from the broadcast, surely must have been thinking it for him.

This is a Green Bay team with more holes than all those trademark Cheesehead hats in which the raucous legion of faithful Packers paraded around Bank of America Stadium here hours before the game. And with all of the holes in his soul to which Favre has been subjected over the last two years, how much heart for the game really remains for a guy who has arguably been the NFL's heartiest performer over the last decade-and-a-half?

Apparently, from the manner in which Favre responded, there's something still left in his emotional gas tank. The way he threw the ball in the second half -- when he connected on 15 of 26 attempts for 185 yards and three touchdowns -- certainly indicated that he still has something left physically as well. After two turnovers in the first half, the early fumble and an interception that also led to a Carolina touchdown, Favre didn't commit any killer errors in the final 30 minutes.

Certainly the 2-2 Panthers, who dominated in many facets of a victory that avenged last year's catastrophic loss in the season opener, were aware of what was playing out on their home turf. The comeback kid was, well, coming back. Until his final pass, a slant intended for Driver on fourth-and-3 from the Panthers' 41-yard line that was knocked away by cornerback Chris Gamble, Favre had instilled the fear of God into this Bible Belt city's team.

"Old, young, whatever, he is still Brett Favre," Panthers strong safety Mike Minter said. "He throws the ball. That's what he does. He gets into that rhythm, starting playing that playground-style ball, and, man, your heart is in your throat. I've seen him do it too many times before. It's scary. That's why the guy is a Hall of Famer. They don't just put good players in the Hall of Fame. It takes greatness. And tonight everybody here saw a touch of greatness, believe me."

Unfortunately, the Packers are not a great team, and it doesn't help that they are so beat up at this early juncture of the season. Green Bay lost star wideout Javon Walker in the preseason, and Favre acknowledged Monday night that the splendid pass-catcher "is really irreplaceable." The offensive line's injuries Monday highlighted the fact that the Packers lost both starting guards, Mike Wahle and Marco Rivera, in free agency during the spring. Guard Adrian Klemm was forced to move to left tackle Monday and the replacement for Flanagan was relatively untested second-year veteran Scott Wells.

Add to that the fact that running back Ahman Green is beginning to show tell-tale signs of age and that the defense is suspect, particularly in the secondary, and it's not hard to see why the Packers have struggled. Even in the NFC North, where no franchise currently owns more than one victory, it's difficult to project the Packers getting back into the chase.

Green Bay opened last season at 1-4, rallied to finish 10-6, and captured a third straight division title. But no one should count on any such comebacks this season. Not if the Monday night defeat offered any kind of read on this team. And if Green Bay can't come back to respectability this season -- and in being outplayed in every phase of the game by Carolina, and looking a lot more like the Pack-it-in-ers, there were few hints a reversal of fortune lies ahead -- then will Favre be back for 2006?

There were times on Monday night when Favre appeared tired, drawn, dare we say it, used-up. In the postgame interview session, the 15-year veteran spoke with some suggestion of resignation, emotion, incredulity, and, most notable, uncertainty.

There have been rumors that, should the season continue to deteriorate, the Packers brass might actually give first-round draft pick Aaron Rodgers some starts late in the year. The mere thought, given Favre's iron man streak, is borderline absurd. Even Favre allowed last week, though, that he would understand if such a scenario developed.

No one, however, should count on that happening. Green Bay, it seems, is not likely to rebound. Brett Favre? Well, maybe, as Monday demonstrated, he hasn't yet run out of comebacks. Certainly he hasn't run out of passion for the game. Even with everything he has endured in his personal life, and his team collapsing around him, Favre didn't look yet like a guy prepared to walk away from it all.

"I don't know how I'm supposed to act," he said. "I've never been 0-4. For that matter, I'd never been 0-3. But I know that I'm not going to quit trying. You keep trying to tell yourself in games like this that it's not been for nothing. But it feels like that. It feels like it was all for nothing when you lose. You ask yourself: 'What more could I have done?' That eats at you."

But on Monday night, when a lot of people came here to toss dirt on him and his team, Favre made a lot of folks put away the shovels that had his name on them, at least for a while longer.

"He gets your respect, he gets your admiration and he definitely, when he gets on fire like that, gets your attention," Minter said.

Unfortunately, the one thing Favre desperately needed more than all those other things, a win, was the one thing he didn't get.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

Offline bryanod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: October 4, 2005, 10:51:30 pm »
Not sure if you've seen this odowd, check it out, very good article....

excellent indeed thanks for the heads-up. it is sad to see a legend like this strugglin to guide his team one more time without much support. reminds me of marino and the jags playoff game when we got hammered 41-6 or whatever it was.

its very cliche but he really has to be the toughest player i've ever seen, perhaps both mentally and physically.

biggest question is with all their other problems what will the packers do if he does leave?? think we get to see packers game soon and i'll let you in on a secret, i always did like favre!!

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline ScouserTommy37

• Steve Biko, Aung San Suu Kyi, Nelson Mandela and now ScouserTommy37. Stop the repression!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Will there ever be a Rainbow ?
« Reply #206 on: October 5, 2005, 12:22:49 am »
NFL is a piece of piss I caught on as a kid watching my first game. Ah the Oilers how I miss you so.
Come on RAWK lets ave it and you can bring your fuckin dinner as well.

http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough/ <-- Read this JFT96

MICHAEL SHIELDS YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE!

"If Jamie Carragher were Italian, we'd build entire dynasties around him." Corriere della Sera

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: October 5, 2005, 10:04:10 pm »
hey Odowd, have you seen the lines for the NFL this weekend, my packers are a favorite! Giving 3 points to the Saints haha....

Offline bryanod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: October 5, 2005, 10:13:57 pm »
hey Odowd, have you seen the lines for the NFL this weekend, my packers are a favorite! Giving 3 points to the Saints haha....

hey i'll pack you! ba doom!! actually i might well put them in my accumulator, and if they let me down i know who to blame!!

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline dirt,yclo

• No new LFC topics
  • Main Stander
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #209 on: October 6, 2005, 07:16:12 am »
for all you that took the piss

THE BENGALS STILL UNDEFEATED 4-0

COME ON CINCINNATI

2 TOUGH AWAY TRIPS COMING UP THEN THE BIG NFC NORTH BATTLE WITH THE STEELERS IF WE CAN GET 2 WINS FROM 3 AND BE 6-1 I MIGHT START TO BELIEVE WE HAVE A PLAYOFF CHANCE
« Last Edit: October 6, 2005, 07:18:18 am by dirtyclo »

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
  • We all dream of a team of Messiers...
« Reply #210 on: October 6, 2005, 10:44:30 pm »
New York Giants have the #1 offense in the NFL, averaging 34 points per game (incredibly high by NFL standards).  However I think their defense leaves a lot to be desired.
"They're the New York Giants; all run and no fun"--my brother at the Giants-Eagles game, Nov. 20, 2005

ManU fans--your 1999 European Cup is safe and sound in our museum

Mark Messier--The Captain, The Legend, The Messiah...11 forever

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: October 8, 2005, 12:48:44 am »
Another good, and for me very very depressing article about Favre and the situation in Green Bay...

Favre presiding over end of an era
By Greg Garber
ESPN.com

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Mike Sherman, his tone weary and matter-of-fact, ran through the Packers' long injury report:

... Left tackle Chad Clifton (ankle) questionable, center Mike Flanagan (hernia surgery) out for two weeks, wide receiver Terrence Murphy (neck trauma) possibly out for the entire season ...

There was more, lots more. When the Green Bay head coach, who was 20 minutes late for his regular Wednesday news conference because he was consulting with team doctors and trainers, finally got to the end of the list, he sighed.

"If we can just get them to stop shooting themselves in the foot and giving plays away," Sherman said a little later. "We're not good enough to make the mistakes we make and overcome them. Maybe in the past [we] could make a mistake and overcome some things, [but] we can't overcome these mistakes -- and I hate saying that. I hate getting up here and telling you that, because in the past I've been able to say 'This is wrong, and we're going to be able to get it fixed.' "

Sherman's Packers certainly are in a fix. They are a dubious 0-4, the certifiably worst record in the NFL. It almost doesn't seem possible, but after 13 consecutive seasons without a losing record -- going back to Mike Holmgren's arrival in 1992 -- there is a very real chance this season's Packers ultimately could be losers.

On the field, the players still are fighting the good fight. Down 23-7 at Carolina on Monday night -- no doubt, prompting millions of football fans to tune out -- the Packers rallied and nearly caught the Panthers. If wide receiver Donald Driver had hung on to Brett Favre's pass on fourth-and-3 in Carolina territory, there would have been enough time to tie or win the game.

As Sherman pointed out, a victory on Sunday against the Saints, a distinct possibility, would make the Packers 1-4 -- the same record they had after five games last year. And as folks here are happy to tell you, Green Bay won nine of its last 11 games to win its third consecutive NFC North title. And, in the context of the anemic division, where the three other teams all have exactly one win apiece, it wouldn't take much of a winning streak to vault back into contention.

Still, this season feels different.

Listen to the conversation in the atrium restaurant at Lambeau Field, the lobby of the Best Western or the bar at Brett Favre's Steakhouse and you'll pick up the vibe: There is a general feeling that the time for these Packers has passed.

Someday, maybe soon, they'll be talking about those 1990s teams with the same fondness -- and historical distance -- they speak of the teams of Lombardi and Starr and Hornung.

Since 1990, when the current playoff system was instituted, only one 0-4 team eventually made the playoffs, the 1992 San Diego Chargers. Those are long odds, indeed.

Several weeks ago, Favre made headlines when he said that if he thought the Packers were in a rebuilding mode, "it would be time for Brett Favre to go home." Clearly, Favre is in denial. He turns 36 on Monday and, trying to do too much, he has thrown eight interceptions, a pace that would give him a career-high 32 at season's end.

"I've never been 0-4, never been 0-3," Favre said after the loss on Monday night. "It's the hand we're dealt. We put ourselves in this position, and we've got to find a way to get out of it.

"I'd much rather be 4-0, I'd much rather win at this point, but as long as I am going to play, I am going to give everyone their money's worth, I can promise you that."

But are the Packers giving Favre his money's worth? Based on the Carolina game, he is still a viable quarterback, one of the best in the league, but the supporting cast no longer comes up to that standard.

This year the team drafted 11 rookies and kept every one. Green Bay went from having a middle-of-the-pack roster in terms of age to having the fifth-youngest team in the league -- some fairly radical personnel surgery.

By looking no further than his daily quarterbacks meeting, Favre can see the face of the future. The Packers drafted California quarterback Aaron Rodgers No.24 overall, and rumors continue to circulate that Rodgers actually might start a few games late in the season, ending Favre's NFL record iron-man streak of 209 consecutive starts.

How did the Packers find themselves in this state? Like so many championship teams, their core players got old. Sherman, who followed Holmgren in 2000, was the general manager for the last five years. Last year's extended contract squabble with cornerback Mike McKenzie -- he eventually was traded to the Saints -- convinced management that Sherman couldn't effectively hold both jobs.

Back in January, Packers President and CEO Robert Harlan hired Ted Thompson as executive VP, GM and director of football operations to handle personnel issues. Very quickly, it became obvious the Packers were committed to getting younger. Quite simply, the Packers let their guard down. Thompson let starting guards Mike Wahle (Panthers) and Marco Rivera (Cowboys) depart via free agency. They were replaced by Patriots free agent Adrian Klemm and seventh-round draft choice Will Whitticker. Safeties Darren Sharper and Bhawoh Jue also left, and were replaced by Arturo Freeman, Earl Little and Todd Franz.

In fairness, the season-ending knee injury to wide receiver Javon Walker, who had a Pro Bowl season (89 catches, 1,382 yards, 12 touchdowns) in 2004, was a crushing blow, and there have been numerous early season injuries on both sides of the ball. Still, it's not enough to explain 0-4.

The Packers have led in a game for all of six minutes this season, which means the running game has been rendered moot. The team is averaging 73.8 rushing yards per game, No. 28 in the league. More troublesome is the turnover net -- minus-9, the league's worst. The scoring offense (No. 20) and scoring defense (No. 24) have been poor, and the Packers' 36 penalties are the league's seventh-highest total.

Even the veterans have failed Favre. Against the Panthers, wide receiver Robert Ferguson let a perfectly thrown slant pass slip through his hands, and cornerback Ken Lucas intercepted it. Instead of going in for a score that would have cut the Carolina deficit to two points, the Panthers scored to make it 23-7.

And yet, with a little more than a minute left, there was Favre driving the Packers toward the equalizing field goal. But on fourth-and-3, Driver couldn't reel in Favre's pass.

"I wanted to catch that ball; I wanted to make a big play to keep the drive alive and win the game," Driver said. "I did feel like I let Brett down on that one.

"They always say you want to go out on a bang, you don't want to go out, under. I know myself, I am not going to let him go down like that. I don't want to leave my legacy like that, and I know he don't want to leave his, so I am going to battle. ... I know my receiving corps are going to go out and play, not just for ourselves but for him."

Greg Garber is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: October 8, 2005, 04:22:49 am »
Jets' Punter Happy to Be Just a Face in the Crowd

By KAREN CROUSE
Published: October 8, 2005

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y., Oct. 7 - Ben and Katie Graham strolled into a popular local Southwestern grill, slid into a booth and savored their anonymity as they snacked on chips and salsa. They had come for the catfish and barbecue and chicken-fried steak and smashed potatoes and gravy.

For Ben Graham, the Jets' 31-year-old rookie punter, and his wife, the comfort is in the food, yes, but also in the freedom they are afforded in the United States to enjoy the kind of quiet night out that would be unthinkable in their native Australia.

In Geelong, in the province of Victoria where Graham spent a dozen years playing in the Australian Football League, he was a lightning rod, the nearest thing the city had to Derek Jeter in New York. He was a onetime captain, a modest man with the strongest leg in the league, a homegrown talent on a team with a rabid following.

His renown is such that "60 Minutes Australia" has inquired about producing a story on his N.F.L. journey, and a journalist from a sports magazine, Alpha, is in New York to report an article on him.

Here, it is a different scene, a different story. When Katie is asked what her husband does by other mothers at school functions for the Grahams' daughters, Sophie, 6, and Rosie, 4, she says that people's faces brighten after hearing that he plays for the Jets. When they find out her husband is a punter, she says with a laugh, the reaction tends to be something along the lines of, "Oh, so he's the kicker."

Katie, like many people back home in Geelong, is learning the American game as Graham goes along. But even she knows the punter is not the same as the place-kicker. She used to correct people. Now she just nods pleasantly and, with apologies to the Jets' rookie place-kicker Mike Nugent, says, "Yeah, he's the kicker."

After the Jets' 13-3 loss to the Baltimore Ravens on Sunday, Graham said, he received a voice-mail message from a friend in Australia. "I saw you had nine punts," his friend said. "Great game!"

Graham laughed. He knew better. His nine punts netted an average of 31.6 yards, and that was including a 57-yarder that sailed into the end zone for a touchback. It was his worst game, and it weighed on him. Graham, who leads the league in punt attempts with 26, said he went to bed that night and had a dream that the Jets had cut him.

In fact, the Jets regard Graham as one of the few bright spots in their 1-3 start.

"It's an amazing story when you think about what he's done and accomplished thus far," Coach Herman Edwards said. "And I just think the more he kicks in games, the better he's going to become."

At a practice this week, one of Graham's punts hung in the air for 5.6 seconds (4.9 to 5.0 is considered excellent), prompting the special teams coach, Mike Westhoff, to purr that it was the prettiest thing he had seen in his 23 years in the league. Nugent, who is in charge of timing hang time, called it a beautiful hit, almost a once-in-a-lifetime thing. "I don't know if it's a strength or a weakness, but I'm pretty blasé," said Graham, the oldest N.F.L. rookie to play in a season opener. "Sometimes it feels like none of this has sunk in."

Graham's father, Tony, who is in the midst of a one-month American holiday with his wife, Helen, has noticed that his son and daughter-in-law seem more relaxed.

"Being a sports hero in a town of about 280,000, they couldn't go anywhere or do anything without people stopping them," he said. "But now, because he's got his anonymity, it's refreshing for them."

Last week, on Graham's day off, he had breakfast with Katie at a diner near the house that they rent on Long Island. Katie had often been to the diner with the girls while Graham was away at training camp.

It was the day after a magnetic resonance imaging test showed a fresh tear in quarterback Chad Pennington's right rotator cuff. The demise of the Jets' season dominated the day's sports headlines in the papers being read by other diners.

The couple's waitress, a vivacious young woman named Rosie, engaged Graham in a lively conversation. Halloween would be here soon, she advised him. It was not too soon, she said, to start thinking about a costume.

The subject of football never came up. The Grahams lingered over their coffee, and still, nobody approached their table to weigh in on the Jets. "We don't have the constant, instant feedback on your career here like there was back home," Graham said.

They could not be sure their new life would fall into place this way, with Graham standing 10th over all in punting with a 44.7-yard average (and 38.8-yard net) and Katie making a cozy home out of their rental.

They enjoyed exploring New York as a family before training camp. But it can be an altogether different experience, to stop living like a tourist and start having to negotiate the mundane.

Katie worried how the girls would adapt to school. By the end of the first week, they were waving her off when she offered to walk them to their classrooms.

The girls look ahead, never back. "Mum," Sophie said recently, "it's going to be the most special day of my life when it snows on Christmas Day."

Graham navigated another passage on the road to Americanization on Tuesday, when he passed his tests to secure a New York driver's license. It was no small act of symbolism, Graham declaring semipermanence here.

"We've come a long way," Katie said. "It all fell into place. We're really happy."

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/08/sports/football/08jets.html
Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: October 9, 2005, 01:19:29 am »
I know Darren Bennett was an Aussie Rules player who went to the NFL to punt...

Graham is noted for an unusual spin on his kicks.
"They're the New York Giants; all run and no fun"--my brother at the Giants-Eagles game, Nov. 20, 2005

Offline bryanod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: October 9, 2005, 01:21:50 am »
whats the big deal with this punter my god he's only the punter they do fuck all!!

as for that favre article ny, it was pretty chilling especially at the end! but i'm putting them in my accumulator this week so you better not screw up!!

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: October 9, 2005, 01:34:15 am »
It's a big deal for the Aussies, but not really a big deal in wider NFL circles.

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #216 on: October 9, 2005, 02:05:51 am »
Field goal kickers and punters aren't really football players at all. They're strange positions because they rarely get their jerseys dirty and are hardly involved in any physical contact. A lot of "the real players" have a certain amount of resentment towards kickers for those very same reasons. Still, they often times will decide the outcome of a hard fought football game which somehow doesn't seem right.

35 years ago a famous defensive tackle called Alex Karras said "I hate those guys, they come running on the field shouting I'm going to keek a touchdown, I'm going to keek a touchdown." In a way he was right but that's just the way it is. 

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: October 9, 2005, 02:09:41 am »
The big deal with the punter is that the Jets are 1-3, and the Jets PR department has to have something to talk about. An Australian novelty act fits the bill.

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: October 9, 2005, 09:51:21 pm »
Vintage Brett Favre today, vintage, thank god, we needed that....

Offline bryanod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: October 9, 2005, 11:35:53 pm »
Vintage Brett Favre today, vintage, thank god, we needed that....

i saw don't worry. defense stepped up nicely too today.

fins 5 turnovers and still had chance til fumble in bills territory with less than 2 to play :headbutt  :butt :butt :butt :no
« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 12:21:14 am by bryanodowd »

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline ScouserTommy37

• Steve Biko, Aung San Suu Kyi, Nelson Mandela and now ScouserTommy37. Stop the repression!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: October 10, 2005, 12:19:33 am »
The big deal with the punter is that the Jets are 1-3, and the Jets PR department has to have something to talk about. An Australian novelty act fits the bill.

ahem 2-3 in adversity no less.

J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS

Curtis Martin and the JETS D RULE!

"If Jamie Carragher were Italian, we'd build entire dynasties around him." Corriere della Sera

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: October 10, 2005, 02:04:15 am »
.....And the Aussie novelty act came up with a clutch play at the end of the game.  ;D

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: October 10, 2005, 02:32:12 am »
Green Bay waxes New Orleans...still in shout in one of the worst divisions in the history of football.

Cleveland over Chicago 20-10 in a game between two awful teams.

Detroit knocked off Baltimore 35-17; Detroit's best performance of the year by far.  Baltimore has NO offense.

Buffalo over Miami 20-14.  Buffalo jumped out to a 17-0 lead and had to cling to it at the end.  Miami outplayed Buffalo pretty badly in the 2nd half but made too many mistakes.

New England over Atlanta 31-28 on a Vinatieri FG with 17 seconds to go.  Atlanta did not have Michael Vick healthy to play.

The Jets ended Tampa's unbeaten run 14-12.  NY's defense holds Tampa out of the end zone, and Vinny Testaverde does not lose the game for them.

Offline NewHampshire_Exile

• Ambassador
  • Legacy Fan
    • www.YNWA.TV
« Reply #223 on: October 10, 2005, 05:03:29 am »
don't write off those Pats yet!!

Offline rasher

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #224 on: October 10, 2005, 03:46:23 pm »
ahem 2-3 in adversity no less.

J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS

Curtis Martin and the JETS D RULE!

ha ha the JETS, one of them farts and the place goes nuts, J-E-T-S, J-E-T-S,J-E-T-S

Offline ScouserTommy37

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: October 10, 2005, 04:32:10 pm »
One of them farted ? Why was I not informed!!!!

J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS.

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: October 10, 2005, 10:17:17 pm »
If the Jets finish at any record better than 8-8 it will be a miracle. 

They still have to play the Pats twice, Buffalo away, Atlanta away, Carolina away, Denver away, and red hot San Diego.

On the other hand, the Giants are flying right now, and their game against Dallas next week will be the biggest game of the week.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 10:18:55 pm by NY-AmericanRed »

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: October 14, 2005, 01:41:53 am »
Two more bits of NFL news:

Jeremy Shockey got a new 5-year contract from the Giants...NYG for life now.

20 players on the Minnesota Vikings were implicated in a "sex cruise" scandal.  Vikings cornerback Fred Smoot supposedly was the ringleader of the boat party, where the Vikings players rented out two boats with lots of prostitutes, alcohol, and drugs.  Eyewitnesses have taken photos of the incident, which I am afraid cannot be posted on this site.

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: October 15, 2005, 02:56:15 am »
Two more bits of NFL news:

Jeremy Shockey got a new 5-year contract from the Giants...NYG for life now.

20 players on the Minnesota Vikings were implicated in a "sex cruise" scandal.  Vikings cornerback Fred Smoot supposedly was the ringleader of the boat party, where the Vikings players rented out two boats with lots of prostitutes, alcohol, and drugs.  Eyewitnesses have taken photos of the incident, which I am afraid cannot be posted on this site.
This will probably reflect poorly on the head coach although it really shouldn't. There are certain head coaches in the league whose players wouldn't think of pulling off something like this. Expect all the fringe players involved to be released at some point in time while the big name guys (as usual) will get a free pass. Brainless idiots, the lot of them and a classic example of "too much too soon".

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: October 15, 2005, 06:47:00 pm »
This will probably reflect poorly on the head coach although it really shouldn't. There are certain head coaches in the league whose players wouldn't think of pulling off something like this. Expect all the fringe players involved to be released at some point in time while the big name guys (as usual) will get a free pass. Brainless idiots, the lot of them and a classic example of "too much too soon".

The thing that I don't get about this is that most teams partake in activities like this during the season (maybe Coughlin's Giants don't, considering Coughlin's near dictatorial status).  The Vikings just managed to hold their sex party right in front of all the politicians who live near Lake Minnetonka. 

This could have further reaching effects, as the Vikings' lease in the Metrodome expires in 2011 and the referendum for a new stadium in Minnesota is in serious trouble.  The new owner of the Vikings is not exactly the most caring individual in the world towards the citizens of the state and will almost certainly move the team without a new stadium.  Zygi Wilf (the owner of the Vikings) is a good guy, but who can blame him if he wants to get a fresh start after acquiring this absolute mess of a situation in the Twin Cities?

(Donning my Chris Mortensen mask as I file this report LOL).
« Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 06:52:03 pm by NY-AmericanRed »

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: October 16, 2005, 12:31:15 am »

This could have further reaching effects, as the Vikings' lease in the Metrodome expires in 2011 and the referendum for a new stadium in Minnesota is in serious trouble.  The new owner of the Vikings is not exactly the most caring individual in the world towards the citizens of the state and will almost certainly move the team without a new stadium.  Zygi Wilf (the owner of the Vikings) is a good guy, but who can blame him if he wants to get a fresh start after acquiring this absolute mess of a situation in the Twin Cities?

(Donning my Chris Mortensen mask as I file this report LOL).

haha, you certainly sound like him!  I'm loving this being a Packer fan, the table is set for our usual 2nd half run for the NFC North haha...

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: October 16, 2005, 02:47:00 am »
haha, you certainly sound like him!  I'm loving this being a Packer fan, the table is set for our usual 2nd half run for the NFC North haha...

Your division is shite with the "e" on the end...worse than shit...I wish my Giants were in the NFC North this year.

I think this season will be Favre's swan song, to be honest.  I don't think he has the fire he used to have (unequaled in the NFL).  Talk around the Packers is that Favre isn't really giving Aaron Rodgers (the heir apparent) any real advice on how to play the QB position in the NFL.

On to my Giants...I hope they beat the crap out of the 'Girls tomorrow, and I bet you'll be rooting for that as well, being a Packer fan...

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: October 16, 2005, 05:22:45 am »
Your division is shite with the "e" on the end...worse than shit...I wish my Giants were in the NFC North this year.

I think this season will be Favre's swan song, to be honest.  I don't think he has the fire he used to have (unequaled in the NFL).  Talk around the Packers is that Favre isn't really giving Aaron Rodgers (the heir apparent) any real advice on how to play the QB position in the NFL.

On to my Giants...I hope they beat the crap out of the 'Girls tomorrow, and I bet you'll be rooting for that as well, being a Packer fan...

I think depending on the outcome of the season, this could well be his last...  Really don't think he should be teaching Rodgers anything, thats not his job, and thats not what he's getting paid to do, nor should he be paid to.  I for some reason don't think he would be the best teachers anyway...

and yes, tomorrow I will be rooting for Big Blue...although it does make me sick...haha...

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: October 16, 2005, 05:32:27 am »
Come on, no Packer fan in his right mind would EVER root for the 'Girls, you know that...

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: October 16, 2005, 05:36:13 am »
Come on, no Packer fan in his right mind would EVER root for the 'Girls, you know that...

yes, I'm aware, many a superbowl run ruined thanks to aikman and those drug dealers...

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: October 17, 2005, 02:02:48 am »
I certainly remember when the Dallas Cowboys were referred to as "South America's team" and with good reason. The thing that gets me is that a slug like Michael Irvin can land a tv gig despite his criminal past. Then again, the networks have always insisted on a major marquee player on their television screen.

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #236 on: October 17, 2005, 02:48:52 am »
Some amazing 'football' today.  At least the Superbowl won't be boring because I am sure the Pats won't make it!!!! Plummer was great todays, as were the Running Backs.  If they can play like that week in week out, they will be serious contenders for the AFC (but the Colts just edge them, in truth).

One guy who is amazing me right now is Leftwich. He is throwing 25 yarders without an arc!  At this rate, the Jags can be a play-off team.  All they need now is Fred Taylor to be injury free and Consistent (harry kewell anyone?). Enjoyed watching the girls beating the dwarves today too.....  :P

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: October 17, 2005, 03:03:53 am »
This Seattle/Houston game is just painful to watch, Houston is just a bad football team and being just manhandled by Seattle out there...  Carr can't even take a 3 step drop without getting battered...

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #238 on: October 17, 2005, 03:15:33 am »
I am glad I am not watching it!  I need a break from watching sports this week-end!

Offline dirt,yclo

• No new LFC topics
  • Main Stander
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #239 on: October 17, 2005, 04:51:13 pm »
im still shouting at you all
bengals are for real and will be in the playoffs
big game next week (pittsburg )
if we win that we will go all the way to the big show

you heard it here first
cheers