Author Topic: FC Barcelona  (Read 876534 times)

Offline luckyluke

• A proponent of intercourse during accelerated perambulation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super bonanza extravaganza
Re: FC Barcelona
« Reply #4160 on: September 22, 2017, 11:30:42 am »
I doubt it, Monaco still play in Ligue 1.
And Swansea and Cardiff in English divisions as well.

Offline BigAl24

• Would rather take one from the whole team than from just one billy goat.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4161 on: September 22, 2017, 11:31:29 am »
Looking forward to Xavvi arriving shortly to tell us we're all wrong.
"We change from doubters to believers. Now"

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #4162 on: September 22, 2017, 11:58:21 am »
And Swansea and Cardiff in English divisions as well.

It would depend on the constitutional arrangements governing the new state of Catalonia (should it ever come to that). If Catalonia remained juridically and politically connected to Greater Spain then Barcelona would probably continue to play in La Liga, as some of the Welsh teams do in the English league. But if (unlike Wales) Catalonia went for full independence it would be extremely unlikely that Barcelona would be allowed to retain its membership of a foreign league. They'd surely have to play in the Catalonian Premier League alongside Espanyol and Girona and Barca 2 and Barca 3 and Barca 4. 

My guess is that the possibility of this happening will be enough to make Catalonians vote 'No' in any referendum. Barcelona FC is the most famous institution in Catalonia. I doubt Catalonians will voluntarily vote to diminish it.

I hope they do though.   
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4163 on: September 22, 2017, 12:19:02 pm »
It would depend on the constitutional arrangements governing the new state of Catalonia (should it ever come to that). If Catalonia remained juridically and politically connected to Greater Spain then Barcelona would probably continue to play in La Liga, as some of the Welsh teams do in the English league. But if (unlike Wales) Catalonia went for full independence it would be extremely unlikely that Barcelona would be allowed to retain its membership of a foreign league. They'd surely have to play in the Catalonian Premier League alongside Espanyol and Girona and Barca 2 and Barca 3 and Barca 4. 

My guess is that the possibility of this happening will be enough to make Catalonians vote 'No' in any referendum. Barcelona FC is the most famous institution in Catalonia. I doubt Catalonians will voluntarily vote to diminish it.

I hope they do though.   

As mentioned above though, isn't Monaco fully independent from France, and yet their team play in the foreign French league?

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4164 on: September 22, 2017, 12:59:21 pm »
As mentioned above though, isn't Monaco fully independent from France, and yet their team play in the foreign French league?

Yes, that might serve as a precedent. There again the issue of Monaco's sovereignty has never aroused the passions and bitterness that cling to Catalonian demands for sovereignty. Two points are obvious about the Catalonian issue. The first is that Catalonian demands for independence are bound to be undermined by the argument "We want nothing to do with Madrid in future, except we'd like to continue playing in La Liga." Therefore the issue might be resolved before any Referendum vote. In other words those who vote 'Yes' to independence will do so knowing that Barcelona FC will withdraw from the Spanish league if they win.

The second point is that it takes two to tango. Barcelona FC will not only have to want to continue playing in La Liga if Catalonia secedes. It will also need to be invited by the Spanish teams. Who knows whether they will be in the mood to do that after Catalonia turns its back on the rest of Spain.

I must say I've always quite liked Barcelona - the team. I certainly prefer them to Real Madrid. But I'd take malicious glee in seeing them reduced to nothing by Catalonian independence. Or at least forced to beg for entry to the French league, like Monaco.  At least us Reds would get to see Woodburn playing for Liverpool in his pomp rather than poncing off to Barca.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4165 on: September 22, 2017, 01:14:27 pm »

The second point is that it takes two to tango. Barcelona FC will not only have to want to continue playing in La Liga if Catalonia secedes. It will also need to be invited by the Spanish teams. Who knows whether they will be in the mood to do that after Catalonia turns its back on the rest of Spain.

If Spanish clubs would be willing to cut off their nose to spite their face they're thick to put it mildly. The league would cease to be relevant immediately. The smaller clubs don't see a huge amount of TV money at this point but it'd look like a fortune compared to what they'd receive in a Barcelonaless league. Middling Spanish clubs would find it even more difficult to recruit and retain talent and that'd probably hurt attendances, therefore revenue dwindles even further and a vicious circle forms. If Spanish clubs are willing to accept that in order to make some kind of political point they deserve everything that will befall them.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4166 on: September 22, 2017, 02:14:38 pm »
If Spanish clubs would be willing to cut off their nose to spite their face they're thick to put it mildly. The league would cease to be relevant immediately. The smaller clubs don't see a huge amount of TV money at this point but it'd look like a fortune compared to what they'd receive in a Barcelonaless league. Middling Spanish clubs would find it even more difficult to recruit and retain talent and that'd probably hurt attendances, therefore revenue dwindles even further and a vicious circle forms. If Spanish clubs are willing to accept that in order to make some kind of political point they deserve everything that will befall them.

It may not be a decision that the football clubs make of course. In the wake of a bitter divorce higher political powers are likely to get involved.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #4167 on: September 22, 2017, 02:28:33 pm »
They'd surely have to play in the Catalonian Premier League alongside Espanyol and Girona and Barca 2 and Barca 3 and Barca 4. 

Once Messi retires, the Catalonian Premier League is likely to be about their best chance of silverware ;)
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4168 on: September 22, 2017, 02:46:05 pm »
They'd surely have to play in the Catalonian Premier League alongside Espanyol and Girona and Barca 2 and Barca 3 and Barca 4. 

Waits for Xxavi to come in and proclaim this league as the greatest in Europe  :-X.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #4169 on: September 22, 2017, 08:18:17 pm »

That is twelve new kits you would have to purchase if you were a Barca supporter.   

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4170 on: September 23, 2017, 03:01:43 am »

Wellington Phoenix play in the Australian league too, as there isn't the level of competition in New Zealand.

Tell me about Espanyol, someone. I presume from their name that their heritage is a pro-Spain one, as distinct from Barcelona's pro-Catalunya one? How are they going to feel if they get kicked out of the Spanish league?

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4171 on: September 23, 2017, 03:16:53 am »
We are seeing all sorts of evidence from current Bayern that their squad is "light years" ahead of Barca's ;D

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4172 on: September 23, 2017, 05:54:03 pm »
We are also seeing all sorts of the might of bottom English clubs. For whatever reason though, ManCity win 5-0 against them every week, seemingly. Chelsea, ManU have also been winning 4-0. This is all because of the superior quality of bottom English clubs, but they are tired every week.

This is unlike La Liga and Bundesliga. There, Bayern, Madrid and Barca win big only because the rest of the league is shit. Madrid sometimes draw and win small, but their opponents are still shit. Crystal Palace they are not.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4173 on: September 23, 2017, 06:03:42 pm »
We are also seeing all sorts of the might of bottom English clubs. For whatever reason though, ManCity win 5-0 against them every week, seemingly. Chelsea, ManU have also been winning 4-0. This is all because of the superior quality of bottom English clubs, but they are tired every week.

This is unlike La Liga and Bundesliga. There, Bayern, Madrid and Barca win big only because the rest of the league is shit. Madrid sometimes draw and win small, but their opponents are still shit. Crystal Palace they are not.

My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4174 on: September 23, 2017, 06:09:48 pm »

Laughable; when the opposite happens and bottom English clubs beat Chelsea or Man City, it's Chelsea and Man City being shit and nothing else, ain't it?.

oh and  ";D

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4175 on: September 23, 2017, 08:15:20 pm »
As debate over Catalan independence grows, where would that leave FC Barcelona? A look at where the club stands: http://bbc.in/2fIoYTr

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4176 on: September 23, 2017, 08:45:22 pm »
Laughable; when the opposite happens and bottom English clubs beat Chelsea or Man City, it's Chelsea and Man City being shit and nothing else, ain't it?.

oh and  ";D
My view is bottom teams in all leagues are fairly poor. There is no way we can objectively compare their strength. That in one league these bottom clubs spend a lot more than in others barely matters in the end.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4177 on: September 23, 2017, 09:08:29 pm »
Too many players & managers new to English football comment on the difference in the speed,physicality & intensity of the game here for it to be bollocks Xxavi.You will never have a truely competitive league whilst you make all the other sides pay a Barca & Real tax,you should share the money on merit not name.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4178 on: September 23, 2017, 09:34:37 pm »
Too many players & managers new to English football comment on the difference in the speed,physicality & intensity of the game here for it to be bollocks Xxavi.You will never have a truely competitive league whilst you make all the other sides pay a Barca & Real tax,you should share the money on merit not name.
speed, physicality and intensity? Yes.

Quality and competitiveness? Badly overrated.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #4179 on: September 23, 2017, 09:42:26 pm »
The problem with the premier league is the amount of utterly shit football all but a handful of teams play, which makes it hard work to watch for a neutral half the time. Not as shite as the Spanish league though with it's 2 rich clubs. At least the premier league despite it's many turgid teams is pretty competitive.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4180 on: September 23, 2017, 09:52:33 pm »
Haha even in the face of facts telling otherwise, some are brainwashed enough about competitiveness. ManCity, Cheleea and ManU are fucking destroying teams week in week out but apparently it is a competitive league :)
I dread to think what would be an uncompetitive league in England. 10-0 scores every week?

Online rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4181 on: September 23, 2017, 09:54:42 pm »
Luis Suarez's LaLiga record for Barcelona:

100 games 🏃
87 goals ⚽️
43 assists 🅰️

Unreal return.

Those stats are according to squawka.. what a player and more than held his own in the company of Messi, Neymar and now Delefauo.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #4182 on: September 23, 2017, 10:38:26 pm »
Haha even in the face of facts telling otherwise, some are brainwashed enough about competitiveness. ManCity, Cheleea and ManU are fucking destroying teams week in week out but apparently it is a competitive league :)
I dread to think what would be an uncompetitive league in England. 10-0 scores every week?

Man Utd and Chelsea won't do that most of the season. Neither did the other oil club either last season despite spending the budget of many a medium sized country on players. 

Admitedly I am only in half way into the argument here, but surely even the most deluded can't argue the Spanish league is more competitive :D I am not even a fan of the premier league, I find the shit football most bar a few teams play make it a poor league to watch more often than not. But it's still a hell of a lot more competitive.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
FC Barcelona
« Reply #4183 on: September 24, 2017, 12:20:05 am »

All this arguing over the leagues

Let's see what happens when one of or teams has to play Barca or Madrid

End of the day we get done. They're better, doesn't matter who plays who the rest of the time

Celtic smash their league but get battered in CL

They are not better

It's all rather simple really
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline tonysleft

• Legacy Fan
  • A manc
« Reply #4184 on: September 24, 2017, 12:43:00 am »

End of the day we get done. They're better, doesn't matter who plays who the rest of the time

They are not better

Agree. It's been 4 years since someone other than those two won the CL. They're miles ahead of any English sides.
Great chiefs and great loves in obliterated light

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4185 on: September 24, 2017, 12:43:50 am »
Luis Suarez's LaLiga record for Barcelona:

100 games 🏃
87 goals ⚽️
43 assists 🅰️

Unreal return.

Those stats are according to squawka.. what a player and more than held his own in the company of Messi, Neymar and now Delefauo.

;D ;D ;D
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline ElCapo

• Legacy Fan
  • Bayern Munich - Mia San Mia
« Reply #4186 on: September 24, 2017, 05:55:54 pm »
We are seeing all sorts of evidence from current Bayern that their squad is "light years" ahead of Barca's ;D

I agree with you, but no need to take swipes at Bayern yet.   

It's early days, let's continue this conversation in March/April 2018. 

Offline Rick Sanchez

• Main Stander
« Reply #4187 on: September 24, 2017, 06:02:43 pm »

They are not better

Don't forget about Atletico as well who been far better in Europe than the English sides in the past couple of years.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #4188 on: September 24, 2017, 06:11:53 pm »
They've played cannon fodder. They haven't even played mid table quality teams.

If Messi drags that squad to the title, he's the undisputed G.O.A.T.

Atletico will win the title. They're robotic and efficient enough. 20/1 is a great price.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4189 on: September 24, 2017, 07:01:22 pm »
I agree with you, but no need to take swipes at Bayern yet.   

It's early days, let's continue this conversation in March/April 2018. 

Alright, we can return to this discussion at the end of the season. But you must agree that if Bayern are poor for the majority of the season but strike lucky here and there with cups, that would hardly be an evidence of far superior squad of Bayern Munich.

I just don't see how current Bayern squad is any better than Barca squad (I am not saying it is worse, but not better). I find it way over the top when someone claims Bayern squad is a lot better than Barca squad. Bayern squad has holes in it, like Barca's.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #4190 on: September 24, 2017, 07:02:57 pm »
Bayern should hire Heynckes back. They played gorgeous football under him. Guardiola stole their soul.

Offline Rick Sanchez

• Main Stander
« Reply #4191 on: September 24, 2017, 07:09:52 pm »
Anywhichwayucan has spoken the truth about Atletico winning the league and Guardiola in this thread.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4192 on: September 24, 2017, 07:16:43 pm »
Anywhichwayucan has spoken the truth about Atletico winning the league and Guardiola in this thread.

You have no idea what you've let yourself in for young padawan.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4193 on: September 24, 2017, 07:22:56 pm »
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline ElCapo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4194 on: September 24, 2017, 09:00:44 pm »
Alright, we can return to this discussion at the end of the season. But you must agree that if Bayern are poor for the majority of the season but strike lucky here and there with cups, that would hardly be an evidence of far superior squad of Bayern Munich.

I just don't see how current Bayern squad is any better than Barca squad (I am not saying it is worse, but not better). I find it way over the top when someone claims Bayern squad is a lot better than Barca squad. Bayern squad has holes in it, like Barca's.

I think Bayern lacks motivation in the Bundesliga after winning it for the umpteenth time in a row, and I'm hoping they would turn it on in the CL.  We'll see...

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4195 on: September 24, 2017, 11:02:18 pm »
I think Bayern lacks motivation in the Bundesliga after winning it for the umpteenth time in a row, and I'm hoping they would turn it on in the CL.  We'll see...
So you think everything is fine with the current Bayern? That's new to me.

Re-motivation, I can see how that can be a problem. Barca squad has been having those issues for years now. Only recently has Barca's squad become worse than Madrid's. But Barca players stopped playing at their Guardiola peak right after he left. It wasn't up until recently that Madrid became better squad-wise. It was all down to poor coaching and loss of motivation.

With Bayern, it may be the same. But that is partly because of the poor managing by Ancelotti. And from what I have seen with Barca, players cannot just turn it on whenever they want. Barca players, too, looked unmotivated for large portions of the season, but that carried on for the whole season usually.

Offline ElCapo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4196 on: September 25, 2017, 04:37:58 pm »
So you think everything is fine with the current Bayern? That's new to me.

Re-motivation, I can see how that can be a problem. Barca squad has been having those issues for years now. Only recently has Barca's squad become worse than Madrid's. But Barca players stopped playing at their Guardiola peak right after he left. It wasn't up until recently that Madrid became better squad-wise. It was all down to poor coaching and loss of motivation.

With Bayern, it may be the same. But that is partly because of the poor managing by Ancelotti. And from what I have seen with Barca, players cannot just turn it on whenever they want. Barca players, too, looked unmotivated for large portions of the season, but that carried on for the whole season usually.

One shouldn't make snap judgements after 5-6 matches.   We're suffering the injury to Neuer, as the backups are not up to scratch.  The rest of the team just appears sluggish, like they're not giving it all on the pitch.  It's not lack of quality, it's motivation.  Up 2:0 against Wolfsburg at home, Bayern were comfortable.  Cue Ulreich’s inevitable gaffe, and some wonderful play from Paul Verhaegh and Daniel Didavi to square things up. The first half was OK. The second was meh.

Two dropped points.  I'm not too bothered.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4197 on: September 25, 2017, 04:41:50 pm »
They've played cannon fodder. They haven't even played mid table quality teams.

If Messi drags that squad to the title, he's the undisputed G.O.A.T.

Atletico will win the title. They're robotic and efficient enough. 20/1 is a great price.
Atletico are hideous shithouses, I'd hate to see Simeone in the PL, he's Mourinho x 100 at the dark arts, absolute thundercunt

Offline ElCapo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4198 on: September 25, 2017, 05:41:07 pm »
Atletico are hideous shithouses, I'd hate to see Simeone in the PL, he's Mourinho x 100 at the dark arts, absolute thundercunt

I still think Real Madrid will mount a serious challenge and win the title.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4199 on: September 25, 2017, 08:54:52 pm »

No...... no

If it was one season but they've competed over about 4 with a huge financial disparity. Also the art of defending gets overlooked these days and Godin is a defending God
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 08:57:20 pm by CrasherKid79 »