Author Topic: Pro Cycling 2023  (Read 1463651 times)

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Pro Cycling 2018 (Where's Dave 5516?) .
« Reply #28800 on: February 21, 2018, 01:57:43 pm »
Seems precautionary rather than longterm damage J

In a subsequent update, team doctor Adrian Rotunno said: "Mark sustained a concussion and a whiplash injury after his crash today.
"Due to the concussion, we were not willing to risk rider safety and the call was made for Mark to stop the race.
"A serious neck injury has been excluded in hospital. He currently has some concussive symptoms and neck pain, but is otherwise stable.

Was wondering about that -the clip I saw had him ask a doc to look at his neck, not his shoulder. Good he pulled out when he suspected concussion.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28801 on: February 23, 2018, 07:52:58 pm »
This weekend.

Welcome Classics season. :)

We start on Saturday with Omloop Het Nieuwsblad a proper cobbled classic from Ghent to Meerbeke...via the most hills and cobbled streets they could fit in. ;D

First off at 10:43 (UK time) are the elite women, and 2 minutes later the elite men start. The women's and the men's courses split after 52km in Nederzwalm. The women go straight to Oudennarde and then on the finishing part, while the men's course does a loop that takes a few more cobbled sectors in.

Maps here: Men's course   Women's course

There is also an interactive map on the official website: http://www.omloophetnieuwsblad.be

New for this year is a change to the finish - the finish follows an old Tour of Flanders route, with the Muur van Geraardsbergen (Kapelmuur) and Bosberg double 12km from the finish. The riders will arrive at those last hills nice and soft - the men's route contains 180km and 11 hills (the women's 7 in 105km) before that, most of which come within the last 50km. Plus a few cobbles.

The riders...

[/b]Women:[/b]

Last year's winner Lucinda Brand (who come off the back of a great cross season) starts for Sunweb, but women's WT powerhouse Boels-Dolmans come with world champion Chantal Blaak (no Lizzie Deignan though in case you were wondering) and Mitchelton-Scott have the world TT champion Annemiek van Vleuten, Jolien D'hoore and Amanda Spratt. Elisa Longo Borghini starts for Wiggle High5 and can never be ruled out in the classics.

Men:

Nearly all the classics riders are here, with one notable absence: no Peter Sagan.
Greg van Avermaet won the last two years, but as always Quick-STep will play a role here with Philipe Gilbert, Yves Lampaert, Terpstra and Stybar (and Gavieria, but he's more one for Sunday). Othere teams...  Tim Wellens and Tijs Benoot for Lotto Soudal, Oliver Naesen, (AG2R), Jaspar Stuyven (Trek), Matteo Trentin, Matt Hayman, Luke Durbridge (Mitchelton-Scott), Sep Vanmarcke (EF-Drapac),....my favourite outside is obviously froma wildcard team...c'mon Wout van Aert ;D

The weather....like here: sunny and freezing with a strong wind.

As Albie said above, it's on Eurosport
Saturday first of the cobbled classics, the renamed Omloop Het Nieuwsblad
Omloop Het Nieuwsblad 2018: Key information Date: Saturday 24th February
Start: Gent
Finish: Ninove
Distance: 196km
Climbs: 13
UK television coverage: Live broadcasting and highlights on Eurosport 3 cobbled climbs

On Sunday, the Classics weekend continues with Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne...preview to come....
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28802 on: February 24, 2018, 06:32:25 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/zvk6Dv0VcyQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/zvk6Dv0VcyQ</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LJ4ajtYwE6Y" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/LJ4ajtYwE6Y</a>

« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 10:19:50 pm by redbyrdz »

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28803 on: February 25, 2018, 05:42:33 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/1VW4OCe8WSk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/1VW4OCe8WSk</a>

Too late for a preview now... :P

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28804 on: February 27, 2018, 06:40:04 pm »
There was another nice little race today - Le Samyn

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/_RYyxHgGmmw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/_RYyxHgGmmw</a>

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28805 on: March 1, 2018, 09:56:22 pm »
Strade Bianche on Saturday looks set to be epic. ;D

Gravel roads, snow, ice and mud ;D

Go watch it, its too cold to go ride a bike if you're not paid for it anyway. :P

Here's a preview.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28806 on: March 2, 2018, 07:16:45 pm »
There's a preview here for the women's Strade Bianche - part of the women's WT. More gravel than last year, including a few double-digit climbs - pretty muddy climbs tomorrow. Oh yes. ;D

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28807 on: March 3, 2018, 11:35:01 am »

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28808 on: March 3, 2018, 12:34:44 pm »
There's a preview here for the women's Strade Bianche - part of the women's WT. More gravel than last year, including a few double-digit climbs - pretty muddy climbs tomorrow. Oh yes. ;D

I was pleasantly surprised that they had live coverage of the women's race...until 10km before the finish and TV cut to 30 minutes of news. During which the winner crossed the line. ::)

....ok, seems like TV decided to show the finish after the news...maybe I shouldn't have switched to the ticker updates....but then they could have said they'd do that. ;D
« Last Edit: March 3, 2018, 12:41:03 pm by redbyrdz »

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28809 on: March 3, 2018, 02:56:23 pm »
I love this race. The gravel roads, the Tuscan landscape, and the finish in Siena, the climb on the flagstones of the Santa Catarina is up there with the Champs Elysee. Or even better ;D

Vids will go up as soon as I find some....after the match. ;D

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28810 on: March 3, 2018, 07:29:10 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/CVesYAiVBjA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/CVesYAiVBjA</a>

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28811 on: March 3, 2018, 11:01:50 pm »
Cheers for that J :wave
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28812 on: March 4, 2018, 07:47:28 am »
Cheers for that J :wave
No worries :)

I feel like a loony talking to myself in here. ;D

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28813 on: March 4, 2018, 10:02:37 am »
The videos are appreciated 
I love this race. The gravel roads, the Tuscan landscape, and the finish in Siena, the climb on the flagstones of the Santa Catarina is up there with the Champs Elysee. Or even better ;D

Vids will go up as soon as I find some....after the match. ;D
I would have missed it to be honest 

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28814 on: March 4, 2018, 02:36:54 pm »
The videos are appreciated  I would have missed it to be honest 

Thats the good thing about watching it as a video - can do whenever. I actually watched last year's the day before. ;D

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28815 on: March 4, 2018, 07:07:16 pm »
Paris-Nice started today - preview here. There are 8 stages, this is stage 1:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/fqOeXEAxmbg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/fqOeXEAxmbg</a>

And some more Belgian racing from today, Dwars door West-Vlaanderen

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/BY47RMpqHvk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/BY47RMpqHvk</a>

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #28816 on: March 5, 2018, 05:00:46 am »
Something is going to stick one day.

Bradley Wiggins and Team Sky accused in damning drugs report
Report suggests Team Sky riders took performance-enhancing drugs to win Tour de France

An explosive report has suggested Team Sky and Bradley Wiggins used performance-enhancing drugs under the guise of treating a legitimate medical condition in order to win the 2012 Tour de France.

The long-awaited report by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport select committee is a potential death knell for Team Sky. It calls into question exactly how they became one of the most successful outfits in British sporting history and draws a number of damaging conclusions.

The most stark is that Team Sky abused the anti-doping system to allow Wiggins, and possibly support riders, to take powerful corticosteroids to prepare them for the Tour de France. It also suggests their manager, Sir David Brailsford, must take responsibility for abandoning an ethos of “winning clean”, which was the genesis of Team Sky, as a hunger for victory took over.

The MPs who led the inquiry also suggest that many people find Team Sky’s story about an infamous jiffy bag delivery to Wiggins at a race in 2011 to be entirely implausible. The inquiry claims it was privy to further evidence that the package contained the corticosteroid triamcinolone and not the decongestant fluimucil, as was claimed by Team Sky. If that were ever proved to be true, and triamcinolone was administered to Wiggins at that time, it would amount to an anti-doping rule violation.

As it is, the report found that Team Sky abused the system of therapeutic use exemptions (TUEs), in effect a doctor’s note allowing a banned substance to be used for the treatment of a legitimate medical condition.

“From the evidence that has been received by the committee, we believe that this powerful corticosteroid [triamcinolone] was being used to prepare Bradley Wiggins, and possibly other riders supporting him, for the Tour de France,” the report reads. “The purpose of this was not to treat medical need, but to improve his power-to-weight ratio ahead of the race. The application for the TUE for the triamcinolone for Bradley Wiggins, ahead of the 2012 Tour de France, also meant that he benefited from the performance-enhancing properties of this drug during the race.

“This does not constitute a violation of the World Anti-Doping Agency code, but it does cross the ethical line that David Brailsford says he himself drew for Team Sky. In this case, and contrary to the testimony of David Brailsford in front of the committee, we believe that drugs were being used by Team Sky, within the Wada rules, to enhance the performance of riders, and not just to treat medical need.”

Wiggins said: “I find it so sad that accusations can be made, where people can be accused of things they have never done which are then regarded as facts. I strongly refute the claim that any drug was used without medical need.I hope to have my say in the next few days and put to my side across.”

The report focuses on inconsistencies in accounts of what was contained in a jiffy bag package delivered to Wiggins and Team Sky during the Critérium du Dauphiné in 2011, which was the subject of a UK Anti-Doping (Ukad) investigation. Ukad closed the investigation last November after deeming it impossible to determine whether the contents were the legal decongestant fluimucil or the powerful corticosteroid triamcinolone, or something else. Dr Richard Freeman, the former Team Sky medic who ordered the package, refused to comment when asked by the DCMS inquiry what it was.

“To many people, the whole story of the package seems implausible, to say the least,” the report reads. “Further information shown to the committee claimed that the product that was requested to be sent out to the event was triamcinolone.”

The DCMS inquiry states it asked Freeman to comment on the contents of the package. Rather than confirm what Brailsford told the committee – that the package contained “only fluimucil” – Freeman said he was unable to comment, on legal advice.

The original Ukad investigation criticised the lack of medical records kept by Team Sky, particularly by Freeman, who also worked at British Cycling until his resignation last year. Freeman kept Wiggins’ medical records on a laptop that was stolen in Greece in 2014, and no back-up copy was ever made. The DCMS said Brailsford, Team Sky’s general manager, must take responsibility for this.

The report states: “How can David Brailsford ensure that his team is performing to his requirements if he does not know and cannot tell what drugs the doctors are giving the riders? David Brailsford must take responsibility for these failures, the regime under which Team Sky riders trained and competed and the damaging scepticism about the legitimacy of his team’s performance and accomplishments.”

It even hints at a possible cover-up. “Despite the fact that it was Team Sky policy for medical records of riders to be uploaded to a shared Dropbox cloud computing storage site, this was never done,” the report reads, “nor, in the three years from 2011 to 2014, did anyone at Team Sky check this, and insist that the records were uploaded. This is even more lacking in credibility given that these were not just the records for a junior rider, but those of the lead cyclist in the team.”

Wiggins’s use of triamcinolone is already known. A leak by the Russian hackers Fancy Bears in September 2016 revealed he had three intramuscular injections of triamcinolone before big grand tours including the Tour de France in 2012.

The DCMS inquiry, which began in September 2015, heard from Brailsford and Shane Sutton, a former head coach at both Team Sky and British Cycling in December 2016. Simon Cope, a former British Cycling employee who drove the jiffy bag package from the velodrome in Manchester to south-east France, also gave evidence.

Brailsford could not be reached for comment. In a statement, Team Sky said: The report details again areas in the past where we have already acknowledged that the Team fell short. We take full responsibility for mistakes that were made. We wrote to the committee in March 2017 setting out in detail the steps we took in subsequent years to put them right, including, for example, the strengthening of our medical record keeping.

“However, the report also makes the serious claim that medication has been used by the team to enhance performance. We strongly refute this. The report also includes an allegation of widespread triamcinolone use by Team Sky riders ahead of the 2012 Tour de France. Again, we strongly refute this allegation. We are surprised and disappointed that the committee has chosen to present an anonymous and potentially malicious claim in this way, without presenting any evidence or giving us an opportunity to respond. This is unfair both to the team and to the riders in question.

“We take our responsibility to the sport seriously. We are committed to creating an environment at Team Sky where riders can perform to the best of their ability, and do it clean.”

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/mar/05/bradley-wiggins-and-team-sky-accused-drugs-in-damning-report
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28817 on: March 14, 2018, 07:21:11 pm »
Didn't really watch it, but Tirreno-Adriatico stage 6 was a bit of a Peter Sagan show. Can't find a good video of it though. :(

There's highlights with a bit of it below.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/cWtOgMc7Tvw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/cWtOgMc7Tvw</a>

Milan-San Remo on Saturday.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28818 on: March 16, 2018, 10:56:06 pm »
Milan - San Remo anyone? Tomorrow. The first monument. 291km. Probably some sort of sprint finish, but maybe not.

There's a preview here, in case you're wondering....I didn't have time, and I don't know if anyone would have read it anyway.

Its on Eurosport from 10:10 afaik.

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #28819 on: March 17, 2018, 09:32:00 pm »
Cav crashed again ! That’s three races on the bounce.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28820 on: March 18, 2018, 07:20:06 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/hcVhEFmdjmc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/hcVhEFmdjmc</a>

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28821 on: March 18, 2018, 07:56:25 pm »
Great win that, well worth watching. ;D

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28822 on: March 18, 2018, 07:58:58 pm »
Cav crashed again ! That’s three races on the bounce.

Cav is ok, according to the team doc. Lost skin and broke another rib, an ankle injury still to be assessed.

Offline the 92A

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28823 on: March 19, 2018, 12:46:15 am »
Have you seen the helicopter footage of Cav hitting the big yellow bollard, http://road.cc/content/news/238819-update-video-cavendish-horror-crash-nibali-wins-milan-sanremo  How unlucky is he. Great win by Nibbles though wish I could descend like that proper nailbiting didn't know result on the edge of seat thought the sprinters would have him off

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28824 on: March 19, 2018, 07:17:23 am »
Yeah, Cav's crash is in the video above. I did know the result, someone blabbed it on yesterday's ride, but I was still like you proper nervous! ;D
Great win that, you could see the sprinters absolutely empty trying to get him, been a long time since I saw such a great finish. :)

Offline monkeyharris

• Best Monkey In Show
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28825 on: March 19, 2018, 05:31:24 pm »
Brilliant that
+6 ticket exchange

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28826 on: March 22, 2018, 01:43:27 pm »
ASO are thinking about banning Froome from the TdF, is his doping case isn't over before. Tick tock...

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28827 on: March 24, 2018, 10:59:27 pm »
Still can't find a good video of E3 Harelbeke from Friday. The last few km clip really doesn't show enough.

Gent-Wevelgem tomorrow. There should be live video from about 11:30,

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28828 on: March 25, 2018, 09:29:07 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/AlCUgThOAto" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/AlCUgThOAto</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/5R4njDD4hPY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/5R4njDD4hPY</a>
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 09:37:02 pm by redbyrdz »

Offline monkeyharris

• Best Monkey In Show
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28829 on: March 25, 2018, 10:51:02 pm »
What the fuck was Viviani so cut up about there?
You can’t be that pissed off being beaten by Sagan..what you gonna do?
He was so cool in his positioning and timing then Sagan

Cheers for posting
+6 ticket exchange

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28830 on: March 25, 2018, 11:21:30 pm »
What the fuck was Viviani so cut up about there?
You can’t be that pissed off being beaten by Sagan..what you gonna do?
He was so cool in his positioning and timing then Sagan

Cheers for posting

Was wondering that myself. Its not like he was beaten by some unknown newbie.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28831 on: March 26, 2018, 09:51:22 am »
Was wondering that myself. Its not like he was beaten by some unknown newbie.

Apparently he was just really disappointed, and felt that he had let his teammates down. Quickstep did everything right, until the very last meters when Viviani got slightly boxed in and Sagan got a gap.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28832 on: March 28, 2018, 06:57:49 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/g-ZiniWD68A" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/g-ZiniWD68A</a>
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 08:17:18 pm by redbyrdz »

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28833 on: March 28, 2018, 08:35:21 pm »
In other news, I have a feeling Sagan might not win another world championship this year...

Offline the 92A

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28834 on: March 31, 2018, 09:51:12 pm »
Second monument, Tour of Flanders tomorrow, out tomorrow on me bike so can enjoy vids and spurs chelsea. Hope its as good as the ist monument

Offline the 92A

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28835 on: March 31, 2018, 09:58:16 pm »
On UK tv, eurosport  tomorrow
Date: Sunday 1st April 2018 (Easter Sunday) 
Start: Antwerp, Belgium
Finish: Oudenaarde, Belgium
UK live TV coverage: 0915-1600, Eurosport - whole race

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28836 on: March 31, 2018, 10:49:32 pm »
Second monument, Tour of Flanders tomorrow, out tomorrow on me bike so can enjoy vids and spurs chelsea. Hope its as good as the ist monument

Flanders is my favourite race, but yeah, out tomorrow too, so will find a video later to catch up. The weather is shite, should be a good race ;D

Offline the 92A

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28837 on: April 1, 2018, 06:44:58 pm »
Hard going that

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28838 on: April 1, 2018, 11:17:05 pm »
Full race:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/N4wViE66kpo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/N4wViE66kpo</a>
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/MhzTwxlWrm8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/MhzTwxlWrm8</a>

Last 30 km
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/MHX-BuXpYVI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/MHX-BuXpYVI</a>

Offline the 92A

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28839 on: April 2, 2018, 12:55:21 pm »