Author Topic: Half time: Brighton 0-0 Liverpool  (Read 5224 times)

Online peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Half time: Brighton 0-0 Liverpool
« Reply #120 on: January 12, 2019, 03:58:09 pm »
This is where City have the advantage over us, they have a midfield full of playmakers and a WWE style finishing move with a pull back across the goal tap in.

And just not sure how Mane, Firmino and Shaqiri open them up given how well they play this low block. It's about time Shaq put on in the top corner though. Or even Salah.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #121 on: January 12, 2019, 03:58:10 pm »
Why the hell are we playing Gini & Henderson?!  Side to side shite football.

Possibly because Keita is lacking confidence has as been seen and been a huge talking point on this very website.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: January 12, 2019, 03:58:12 pm »
Wijnaldum is frustrating today because he's shown he can turn quickly but today he wants his first touch to be towards goal, he takes about 3 to get himself set. It's just weird. It's like lack of confidence but no reason for it

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: January 12, 2019, 03:58:17 pm »
They seem to have anticipated a 4-2-3-1.. Salah and Shaqiri seem to have been neutralized..

We need Keita to drive the ball through the lines.. Take a man or two on and slip in someone..

We need to react.. C'mon Redmen.. time to step up and show your title winning credentials..
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline sikingthegreat1

• Anny Roader
« Reply #124 on: January 12, 2019, 03:58:24 pm »
we really need keita here (missing AOC so much again....)

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #125 on: January 12, 2019, 03:58:25 pm »
Exactly Brighton will not be able to keep it up the chances will come, we just need to be ruthless when they do.

Yup but long high balls also need to stop, Dunk and Duffy will eat them up all day long, we need to play it around them with our more agile and quicker smaller players who are technically better on the ground.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: January 12, 2019, 03:58:29 pm »
That's what a midfield is supposed to do. The resort to the long ball is the result of a limited midfield duo.

Yep, they’re absolutely petrified to move forward into space with the ball and either play it safe or go long in a panic.

Offline johnj147

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: January 12, 2019, 03:58:34 pm »
Keita for Henderson, please. Gini will do fine as the lone #6. We need Keita and Shaqiri to drive through the midfield.
this need someone to run with ball . instead of just pass it side ways . ffs lfc get into these boring bastards

Offline Snoopy29

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: January 12, 2019, 03:58:36 pm »
it feels like our midfield is 'ALONE'.

It's causing alot of pressure on the defence at times.

We need an Anchor and a person who can push us forward in the middle at the same time!

“I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us!” “For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side."

(Bill Shankly)

Offline ac

• Headless chicken
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: January 12, 2019, 03:58:55 pm »
Lots of talk about Hendo but both him and Wijnaldum equally as guilty of slow laboured passing. Wish Wijnaldum didn't take 4 or 5 touches every time he gets the ball- but its hard to tell from watching on tv if there is a lack of options.

Trent being not fully fit isn't helping either as the lack of width from that side is allowing Brighton to compress the space elsewhere.
Gini's constant chewing of the ball is frustrating and he's been worse for me then henderson offensively. Saying that I think Gini retains the ball better and is better defensively so I'd take off henderson

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: January 12, 2019, 03:58:57 pm »
I have been watching him carefully and believe it or not he has played a lot of forward balls, but its so tight there are 3 players around whoever receives the ball. Yes he has often been ponderous, but there is no pass on. We need someone driving through them

The problem is Wijnaldum here. Examine the positions that Gini is taking up. He's virtually square with Hendo, and hasn't offered any movement or pace on the ball. He's made 1 driving run off a semi-counter attack but then couldn't release a pass. We've got 2 players trying to be deep lying playmakers when this game is crying out for someone to put their foot on the ball and drive at the Brighton midfield, and try to link up with more advanced players. The only way through Brighton is those smart triangles utilising Firmino, Shaq. Get one of the CM's off and bring on Keita is probably the right call I think.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #131 on: January 12, 2019, 03:59:02 pm »
This is where City have the advantage over us, they have a midfield full of playmakers and a WWE style finishing move with a pull back across the goal tap in.

And just not sure how Mane, Firmino and Shaqiri open them up given how well they play this low block. It's about time Shaq put on in the top corner though. Or even Salah.

They won't be able to keep it up for ninety minutes, like all games we need to show some patience.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: January 12, 2019, 03:59:36 pm »
I really want to see Mane hug the left wing more. He's coming in field and Shaqiri is coming in field. Find it deeply frustrating to watch. Yes Brighton are bus parking but with so little intensity and team structure encouraging safe passing by not offering width, we're making it a much harder game that it needs to be.

Yep, Mane seems to be playing more as a playmaker when his ball handling and passing is not his best attribute, he's the one you want finishing/ taking on the last man

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: January 12, 2019, 03:59:46 pm »
The amount of high balls up to the front is madness.

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: January 12, 2019, 04:00:23 pm »

We have everything we need to get in behind down the wings, two great attacking full-backs, a fine winger in Mane and a playmaker in Shaqiri. The problem is not that we lack the players. City definitely have more playmaking options for us but the finishing move you're referring to comes from playing your wide attackers actually wide and very high along the defensive line. Get in behind and you can cut back.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: January 12, 2019, 04:00:46 pm »
I feel like the instructions have to be for Henderson and Gini to play percentage football and all the onus is then on the front four to take risks. Shaqiri could be doing more with the ball but having said all that, if Bobby got his touch right in the first few minutes, it would have been a tap in and this would have been a completely different game. Fully expect us to turn up the intensity second half, Keita to come on and show his worth.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: January 12, 2019, 04:01:03 pm »

That's annoying yeah. Duffy and Dunk love that shit

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: January 12, 2019, 04:01:34 pm »
Not much in the way of chances particularly from the middle,one of Hendo or Gini need to push up with the ball while the other stays back i think,Brighton are organised and we become a bit predictable when we only attempt a breakthrough from the flanks.

Offline DefJack

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: January 12, 2019, 04:01:37 pm »
At some point, I hope, Klopp will come to the staggering and quite life altering realisation that playing any combination of midfielders, that between them are completely incapable of, or unwilling to, progress the ball centrally, has a massive inhibitory effect on the performances of your attacking players and therefore reduces your goal output.

This game is quite demonstrative of an illusion in games or sports, whereby risk averse or weak players who make few "mistakes", but also don't take proactively seek or take opportunities to improve their position, either due to fear or incapability, are perceived as playing "well" by the casual observer but poorly by a knowledgeable one.

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: January 12, 2019, 04:02:19 pm »
Possibly because Keita is lacking confidence has as been seen and been a huge talking point on this very website.

Quite possibly, that and to be honest Gini has not played like today all season. He's been positive, driving forward with the ball and today I think he's seen the wall in front of him and been a bit negative in response. It's reasonable enough of Klopp to expect more from him given his outstanding displays this season.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: January 12, 2019, 04:02:27 pm »
Aye, that's daft. It's not us and plays into their strengths. Maybe a second ball thing, but still...

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: January 12, 2019, 04:02:31 pm »
I feel like the instructions have to be for Henderson and Gini to play percentage football and all the onus is then on the front four to take risks. Shaqiri could be doing more with the ball but having said all that, if Bobby got his touch right in the first few minutes, it would have been a tap in and this would have been a completely different game. Fully expect us to turn up the intensity second half, Keita to come on and show his worth.

The front four need to receive the ball though. Most of the passes towards them have been direct long balls by Van Dijk or Arnold etc. It's like those two take responsibility whilst the midfield players don't

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
« Reply #142 on: January 12, 2019, 04:02:41 pm »
The problem is Wijnaldum here. Examine the positions that Gini is taking up. He's virtually square with Hendo, and hasn't offered any movement or pace on the ball. He's made 1 driving run off a semi-counter attack but then couldn't release a pass. We've got 2 players trying to be deep lying playmakers when this game is crying out for someone to put their foot on the ball and drive at the Brighton midfield, and try to link up with more advanced players. The only way through Brighton is those smart triangles utilising Firmino, Shaq. Get one of the CM's off and bring on Keita is probably the right call I think.

Agree its the pair of them, but can't help but feel we need more movement from the front. Towards the end a great run inside by Shaqiri suddenly generated a huge amount of space for Trent, only for the pass to be a little long, a better pass there and thats how we can get around them, but it relies on the movement.

Offline King Kenny 7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: January 12, 2019, 04:03:12 pm »
Could have been different if the ref had gave a penalty.

Offline naka

• Lennart Skoglund Ultra
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: January 12, 2019, 04:05:24 pm »
Midfield extremely pedestrian
No incisive passers
Ffs if I see another square pass I will cry
It’s like a pre season game
Hopefully we can be a little quicker with the forward passes

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #145 on: January 12, 2019, 04:05:35 pm »
Penalty.

1-0 Salah
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Snoopy29

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: January 12, 2019, 04:06:16 pm »
ohh rightttt
“I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us!” “For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side."

(Bill Shankly)

Offline aoaaron

• Clueless
  • Kopite
« Reply #147 on: January 12, 2019, 04:14:47 pm »
Gini's constant chewing of the ball is frustrating and he's been worse for me then henderson offensively. Saying that I think Gini retains the ball better and is better defensively so I'd take off henderson

Yeah I'd take Gini over Hendo simply because of Gini's ridiculously good ball retention under pressure.

I feel bad but Hendo just doesn't seem to fit properly with any of our midfielder. Him and Milner are a no-go. Him and Gini, again a no-go. Him and Fabinho seems alright but I'd rather take one of the other lands. Adding to the equation I feel Milner is simply superior to Hendo given he seems to deliver on the bigger occasions..

Anyway going off topic.

Hope he proves me wrong and scores a 20 yarder lol