Author Topic: Steven Gerrard  (Read 219223 times)

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Re: Steven Gerrard
« Reply #1120 on: November 8, 2021, 03:12:47 pm »
He'll see out this season at Rangers.

You think he will if he gets a decent PL offer? I can't see it.

If Villa offer him the job I'd expect him to take it. Pretty new squad and good youth system
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #1121 on: November 8, 2021, 03:15:05 pm »

If Villa offer him the job I'd expect him to take it. Pretty new squad and good youth system

I dunno, might just be that I'd like to think he wouldn't leave Rangers at this point in the season.  My feeling is that he'd want two leagues in a row up there instead of jumping ship when he's in a very good position to achieve that.

Reckon he'll move in the summer if there's any good opportunities.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1122 on: November 8, 2021, 03:47:24 pm »
A good manager probably takes this Villa squad into the top 10. After another summer of investment, a really good manager would get them into Europe. Gerrard isn't going from Rangers to Liverpool unless he does something remarkable like when the Europa League or gets them into the latter stages of the Champions League. Villa is exactly the sort of challenge he needs to take on and succeed at if he wants the big job someday.

Online bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1123 on: November 8, 2021, 04:28:27 pm »
Should stay away from Villa. Toxic club with delusions of grandeur.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1124 on: November 8, 2021, 05:41:21 pm »
I know he's a manager now, but what a fucking player he was.

Just watching back some of his long distance goals and it's been a long long time since i've seen anyone who strikes the ball like he did from distance. The sheer amount of outrageous goals he got from a distance, unreal

So many varieties of screamer as well.

Half volleys from the edge of the box like Olympiakos.

That Boro one from an outrageous distance and angle.

Stunning volleys like Arsenal in the league cup and Graz away.

Amazing curling free kicks like Villa away.

Tap and twat free kicks like Newcastle away and Portsmouth at home.

Clever free kicks like Everton and Villa at home and United away.

Your classic long range screamers like Southampton home in 2001 and Villa home in 2006.

The whip into the far corner like Marseille and Luton.

Haven’t even got into the Cup Final goals yet!

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1125 on: November 8, 2021, 08:50:36 pm »
^

I didn't realise how far out he was for the 3rd at the Millenium until I watched the game the following day, I honestly thought he was just on the edge of the box. I just remember the announcer giving the added on time and then fucking pandemonium and wrecked shins ;D
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1126 on: November 8, 2021, 10:26:48 pm »

Just watching back some of his long distance goals and it's been a long long time since i've seen anyone who strikes the ball like he did from distance. The sheer amount of outrageous goals he got from a distance, unreal

My favorite part of Best of Fernando Torres clips is consistently the gem of an assist from Stevie to set him up.  Guilty of not appreciating just how good he was. Legend
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #1127 on: November 8, 2021, 10:51:01 pm »

Yeah they've got some good youngsters and it'll be interesting to see if the new manager starts to assimilate them into the first team.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1128 on: November 8, 2021, 11:52:42 pm »
Would love to see Stevie get the Villa job. It would be the perfect audition and training ground for being considered one day for the Liverpool job. He needs to take a step up from Rangers.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1129 on: November 9, 2021, 01:39:06 am »
The source is Daily Mail's Midland's journo.

Aston Villa will make a formal approach to Rangers to speak to Steven Gerrard this week and are determined to make him their next manager. [@TomCollomosse]

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #1130 on: November 9, 2021, 08:11:24 am »
I don´t think it would be a bad move for him at all. Risky sure. But he is going to have to prove himself at that level before taking on anything bigger.

That said it would be a shame to leave Rangers part-way through a season where he has got them back in front. And I am not sure that he would leave them part way through either.

The rate at which Premier League managers get sacked, its not like he won´t have other oppurtunities.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #1131 on: November 9, 2021, 11:46:33 am »
I don´t think it would be a bad move for him at all. Risky sure. But he is going to have to prove himself at that level before taking on anything bigger.

That said it would be a shame to leave Rangers part-way through a season where he has got them back in front. And I am not sure that he would leave them part way through either.

The rate at which Premier League managers get sacked, its not like he won´t have other oppurtunities.
Whether to stick or twist in his current club is the question. I know other clubs are around, but who is best placed to be the ideal project. West Ham is the prize of the moment, but the Moyesiah is not on his way to anywhere else in the top 8 any time soon is he?. (Us and the mancs wouldn't touch Moyesy, Arsenal Leicester and Tottenham are less likely to need him, as it's such a sideways step as things stand, Chelsea is a revolving door), so  for Gerrard Villa and Brighton present themselves as the best of the rest. A few years of top 8 to 10 and the opportunity he wants then may come knocking. Liverpool's natural affinity (at least as fans) is with Celtic, so I am not that sure he has massive natural loyalties up there. I think the fit is good, the potential for improvement is there.
« Last Edit: November 9, 2021, 11:50:21 am by markedasred »
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1132 on: November 9, 2021, 03:52:21 pm »

Your classic long range screamers like Southampton home in 2001 and Villa home in 2006.

Unbelievable variety of goals and makes a mockery of some rival fans claims of ‘he just hits it hard as he can’ (FA cup final goal excluded)

The Marseille goal is top 3 favourites for me, just everything about it. Remember watching the game seeing him shape up to shoot and just not expecting him to score a goal anything like that. Ridiculous technique

Offline Komic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1133 on: November 9, 2021, 07:12:20 pm »

He scored against Spurs, I think, where he was one on one with the goalkeeper with loads of time and stills blasts it bottom corner from ~25 yards out. Shows his confidence around shooting from distance when that is an option. No wonder he thought that ridiculous shot against Boro was a good idea.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1134 on: November 9, 2021, 07:14:26 pm »
Is there such a thing as a player manager, where the person in question manages one team but plays for another?  Think our midfield needs beefing up in January and we could do with a stop gap supersub. ;D
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1135 on: November 9, 2021, 07:27:55 pm »
He scored against Spurs, I think, where he was one on one with the goalkeeper with loads of time and stills blasts it bottom corner from ~25 yards out. Shows his confidence around shooting from distance when that is an option. No wonder he thought that ridiculous shot against Boro was a good idea.

3-1 win in 02/03 I think? :D

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1136 on: November 9, 2021, 08:08:03 pm »
The Telegraph's big Footie journos are all reporting this now.

https://twitter.com/TeleFootball/status/1458161761492901889

Steven Gerrard is interested in being Aston Villa's next manager, with the ambitious Midlands club set to make an official approach to Rangers.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1137 on: November 10, 2021, 12:01:01 am »
Also can't forget the Christian Purslow connection at Villa - that might be a big driver in Villa going for Stevie
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1138 on: November 10, 2021, 09:39:20 am »
I think he's fucking mad if he goes there. Terrible firm, unlikely to get much European experience and he has to manage against us.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1139 on: November 10, 2021, 10:21:31 am »
I don't think it would be a good move for him personally but I can see his logic.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1140 on: November 10, 2021, 10:41:53 am »
But what realistically IS a good move for him? He's basically achieved everything he can realistically do in Scotland, a mid-table Premier League team is the next step. And how many good jobs are in that space? Maybe Leicester if Rodgers moves on, but it's a big risk to hold on for that with relatively little managerial experience.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1141 on: November 10, 2021, 11:23:24 am »
It's all about the raw material at the club. You want a club that has decent resources available and a relatively decent squad to work with. Not sure Villa qualifies, but then they're hardly alone in that.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1142 on: November 10, 2021, 01:52:06 pm »

Long range goals have sort of gone out of the game because of xG's influence... but fuck me his long rangers. Unreal!

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1143 on: November 10, 2021, 01:54:53 pm »
But what realistically IS a good move for him? He's basically achieved everything he can realistically do in Scotland, a mid-table Premier League team is the next step. And how many good jobs are in that space? Maybe Leicester if Rodgers moves on, but it's a big risk to hold on for that with relatively little managerial experience.

Win the league again with Rangers, wait to see who moves in the Premier League in the summer and take over a team with a full pre-season to instil what he wants into a team rather than one in a crisis who have hastily sacked their very popular (with squad) manager.

Villa's a big opportunity - decent players and big expectations - but also seems like banana skin right now.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #1144 on: November 10, 2021, 01:55:43 pm »
I think it's a strange move for him. A lot of people scoff at him managing in Scotland but I think the experience of becoming a staple of a big club over the course of several years is great experience whatever country you're in. A couple of average seasons followed by an outstanding one in which they won their first league title in a decade, without a league defeat. From that I'd be surprised he's not looking to win the title again and continue challenging in the Europa League.

There's a limit to what pretty much any manager can do at a Villa. Ancelotti at Everton is a good example, albeit he was mainly there for the payday. I think at best he could challenge for a Europa League place and maybe look for silverware in the FA/League Cup. There's just too many teams ahead of the likes of Villa. Tottenham and Arsenal are fucking crap and they still won't finish above them. I'd be extra surprised if he wanted to join them given their start this season, the best they'll finish is about midtable, but I reckon the allure of a prem job is obviously nothing to be sniffed at.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #1145 on: November 10, 2021, 01:57:41 pm »
Be glad for him to go to villa to get some of that rangers out of his system before he does maybe end up at Anfield again in the future.
YNWA

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #1146 on: November 10, 2021, 01:58:42 pm »
These lads will be looking forward to it:

(thanks archie)
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1147 on: November 10, 2021, 01:58:54 pm »
Win the league again with Rangers, wait to see who moves in the Premier League in the summer and take over a team with a full pre-season to instil what he wants into a team rather than one in a crisis who have hastily sacked their very popular (with squad) manager.

Villa's a big opportunity - decent players and big expectations - but also seems like banana skin right now.

It’s a tricky one in terms of expectations as they’ll invariably be high. Realistically you need one or more of the ‘big 6s’ to have a poor season to get a sniff of European football and traditionally they dominate the cups too (well, a few of them do).

Offline Cu Chulainn

• "It's Peanut Butter Fascist Time!" (thinkaboutit). greedy, stupid, selfish capitalist pig who hates the poor and wants to euthanise the disabled.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1148 on: November 10, 2021, 03:33:17 pm »
Pretty much what I think. He isn't realistically likely to be offered a much higher job at this stage in his career, and with all due respect to the Scottish league, there's not much more he can do there to make his stock any higher - barring an absolute miracle like winning the Europa League. We all know how fickle football is, perhaps Celtic win the league this season and people start going "is Gerrard all that?".

Aston Villa are a big club, they have some good players and I'm sure they'll allow him to bring in some new ones. He wouldn't be considered by a "top 6" team, so he's looking at the next group of clubs, which Villa are in. As you say, Leicester would be a better job, but that's a big gamble waiting for Rodgers to go somewhere first.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1149 on: November 10, 2021, 04:04:08 pm »
My gut says that waiting to see what Rodgers does and trying to get the Leicester job would be a better move for him. Villa seem rich, but Leicester seem rich and well organised. No guarantees of course that Leicester would give him the job of course, or that Rodgers leaves.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #1150 on: November 10, 2021, 04:08:54 pm »
I think it's a really good move for him. There's basically little downside as there's no chance they get relegated, so if he can get them into the top half and stay there over the next few years, with perhaps European qualification and a domestic cup thrown on top as a cherry, he'll be considered a success.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1151 on: November 10, 2021, 04:10:06 pm »
One thing I do know is that he's never moved out of Formby and there's been some degree of commuting between Formby and Glasgow. Maybe that's taken it's toll.

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1152 on: November 10, 2021, 04:17:45 pm »
One thing I do know is that he's never moved out of Formby and there's been some degree of commuting between Formby and Glasgow. Maybe that's taken it's toll.

It was probably a good thing for him during the lockdowns not be stuck in with the kids all the time.

I think the only thing to keep him at Rangers would be the European football assured every season. They're not doing so well this season though, so that might sway him away. I just wonder if Gary Mac would be tempted to take the Rangers job if offered it, (ideal man for the job to be honest) or would he go with Gerrrard,

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1153 on: November 10, 2021, 04:54:05 pm »

Was he sleeping on Gary Mac's spare bedroom?

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1154 on: November 10, 2021, 05:22:14 pm »
He knows what he's doing but I think it could end up being a big mistake. First and foremost, leaving at this stage of the season isn't a good look. The fans love him up there and, while they've always known he'd be off as soon as we came in for him, I think they'll be surprised he's jumping ship the first time a semi decent Premier League side has come in for him. Although they've started the season alright up there, they've been a bit wobbly, lost their champions league qualifier and now they're going to be derailed further by this.

I don't particularly care for Rangers so I won't lose any sleep over it, but from Gerrard's perspective I also think there's plenty more he could've achieved up there. Retaining a title, especially considering Celtic have improved slightly and rangers seem to have slightly regressed, would've been big on his CV. Getting more European experience and the chance to get in the champions league would've been huge for him too. The way last season went, he hasn't even really had a proper title race to be part of, which again would be valuable experience. There's a much better chance of competing in cup finals, which he's yet to do. Rangers was a really good dress rehearsal for the Liverpool job, Villa is a completely different kettle of fish.

I can see the appeal. Villa are ambitious and they're a massive club. I just find it hard to see what exactly he can do for them that'll show he's ready for the Liverpool job. His legend status means nothing to Villa either and they'll waste no time turning on him if things don't start well.

Offline bazz

• Main Stander
« Reply #1155 on: November 10, 2021, 05:33:42 pm »
Initially I thought he should wait and win the back to back titles with Rangers and then see what managerial roles will be available in the summer (as there will obviously will be), but I think the Aston Villa job is too good to turn down for him in his ultimate ambition to get the Liverpool job when Klopp moves on.

Take the Aston Villa (a top 7-10 club) job now or wait till the summer comes and what will potentially with there? Burnley, Brentford, Southampton or Watford? None of them compare to Villa.

Aston Villa, former European Cup winners, good premiership club, good squad, have spent money, have money to spend and only 78 miles from his house!

Get them into the top 6 and it's the best stepping stone to the Liverpool job he could get at this point in time.

Offline Kalito

• Legacy Fan
  • ***JFT97***
« Reply #1156 on: November 10, 2021, 05:39:36 pm »
He should stay and win the league with Rangers (and a domestic cup or two, as he ain't won a single pot yet) and have a crack at the Champions League next year (Scottish Champions go straight to group stages).

He ain't getting no European football with Villa.

With what's at stake, IMO he should deffo be staying put.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Mr Bill Shankly

"be careful of media, they can make you hate the oppressed and love the oppressors." - Malcolm X

The notion that an Occupier is defending itself is as absurd as the notion that the rapist is defending itself from the victim.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1157 on: November 10, 2021, 05:40:24 pm »
Was he sleeping on Gary Mac's spare bedroom?

Maybe :D

I only know this because I sometimes take my lad to school in Formby and I’ve seen him dropping their youngest at the Nursery around the corner numerous times since he’s been at Rangers

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1158 on: November 10, 2021, 07:59:55 pm »
Defo should be staying imo. Better jobs will be available in the summer

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*