Author Topic: Rhian Brewster  (Read 331721 times)

Online Snusmumriken

• Kopite
  • Don't believe everything you think
Re: Rhian Brewster, set to stay
« Reply #920 on: November 1, 2019, 04:34:19 am »
I think it’s healthy we’re nurturing him back to top fitness while getting some valuable games in the cup. Once he’s deemed in top shape a loan for more consistent game time could be a good idea, maybe in January? If we’d have loaned him out in the summer to a championship club he would probably been benched due to rustiness etc.

Offline Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #921 on: November 1, 2019, 05:16:04 am »
Get the impression there's still an extra yard of pace and agility to come as his physical prowess from before is still returning after the long layoff. That and the first-team level training, which he said he found hard, and his own growing body at the same.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #922 on: November 1, 2019, 07:46:33 am »
Apart form Gerrard

Wasn’t his before? Remembering Houllier taking the credit for his discovery, saying the youth coaches hadn’t pushed him forward as he had been injured, which they denied

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #923 on: November 1, 2019, 11:01:42 am »
Was impressed that he was still running after the ball in the 93rd minute when we were 4-5 down. Wasn't it him who won the ball back in the penalty box when it had seemed lost, which led to the cross that Origi scissor-kicked in? Great attitude. Maybe he won't become a Fowler, but if he becomes a Kuyt we will still be really lucky.

The cross was from Neco Williams. But brewster was definitely high energy.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #924 on: November 1, 2019, 11:43:00 am »
Reminds me a bit of Sturridge
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #925 on: November 1, 2019, 03:44:18 pm »
Wasn’t his before? Remembering Houllier taking the credit for his discovery, saying the youth coaches hadn’t pushed him forward as he had been injured, which they denied

You know what Houllier was like. He would take credit for unearthing Pele if he could.

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #926 on: November 1, 2019, 03:55:02 pm »
You know what Houllier was like. He would take credit for unearthing Pele if he could.

Seemed a self effacing sort of bloke to me. Met him briefly once and he was charming. His interview in the Telegraph last month was revealing and showed him to be humble sort of guy.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #927 on: November 1, 2019, 08:08:27 pm »
Alluded to here:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2001/may/12/facup.sport1
and in gerrard's book
the story was that Richie partridge a young winger was making waves, and there was a sense Houllier was criticising the academy coaches for emphasising RP and not SG https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steven-gerrard-story-part-three-5387042
« Last Edit: November 1, 2019, 08:15:40 pm by phil236849 »

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #928 on: November 1, 2019, 08:31:37 pm »

Not sure of that yet. People forget but Sturridge was a real, top level talent when he was 18/19. He was obviously insanely talented.

Brewster clearly has talent but I haven't seen Sturridge's level of ability at the same age.

Offline The Test

• 6'3" tall, very strong but also pretty quick seeks soulmate with GSOH. Priority given to Mormons.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho's cousins mates tennis partner
« Reply #929 on: November 1, 2019, 08:41:41 pm »
Not sure of that yet. People forget but Sturridge was a real, top level talent when he was 18/19. He was obviously insanely talented.

Brewster clearly has talent but I haven't seen Sturridge's level of ability at the same age.

Agree with this. Studge was obviously the nuts from a very young age. I was ecstatic when we were linked with him. Rhian needs time.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #930 on: November 26, 2019, 12:31:15 am »
Set to go on loan next month per the Echo

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #931 on: November 26, 2019, 01:13:13 am »

For the best really, will be nice for him to prove himself at a lower level and start to show some of the promise in a competitive environment. He's far too raw currently for our matchday 18.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #932 on: November 26, 2019, 02:01:50 am »
For the best really, will be nice for him to prove himself at a lower level and start to show some of the promise in a competitive environment. He's far too raw currently for our matchday 18.

Gotta say he's looked just okay so far this season. Fair enough he's coming back from a big injury but he hasn't looked better than Jones or Elliot, for example.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #933 on: November 26, 2019, 02:22:38 am »
Should stay.  He'll get chances with us.

On loan and there's no guarantee he plays. Yes, we can ask for certain amount of matches guaranteed but depending on the side and circumstances they may opt for more senior pros..
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #934 on: November 26, 2019, 02:27:09 am »

On loan and there's no guarantee he plays. Yes, we can ask for certain amount of matches guaranteed but depending on the side and circumstances they may opt for more senior pros..

Much more chance of playing more for another team than for us. And this is without Shaqiri for a significant time, and with Keita and Chamberlain's minutes being managed a lot more than they hopefully need to be for the rest of the season.

Hopefully he can get games at Championship level, and hopefully he can do well. Nothing guaranteed at all.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #935 on: November 26, 2019, 02:36:05 am »

Not proved the case so far, except in cup games. And in those games he hasn't been especially outstanding.

My hope is that we smash Napoli this week and he gets a run out against Salzburg + the Villa game. If he really shows something extra then, maybe we can think about holding onto him. Otherwise he's probably not best served hanging around.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #936 on: November 26, 2019, 02:56:06 am »
Yeah he’s going to get very limited chances from now til January. League cup and if we do the business - the Salzburg game. That’s it.

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #937 on: November 26, 2019, 03:02:13 am »

Bar an FA cup run the other side of January and a few more league cup games, he isn't getting a sniff. From the league cup alone against inferior opposition he doesn't look ready. If he cant get a game out in the lower leagues and justify the hype then it doesn't say much about his chances with us going forward.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #938 on: November 26, 2019, 08:01:05 am »

Not sure myself.

Players like Wilson smashed it out on loan at Derby and is now at Bournemouth and people still think they didn't do enough to be part of our squad.

We're in danager of when we loan players out it's saying that they're finished here.

Brewster is a talent. He's a good player and considering we only have Origi as the main forward back up I think he should stay.

Offline trav2591

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #939 on: November 26, 2019, 09:02:47 am »
I wonder if this was always part of the plan and something we might see more often. Keep youngster for the beginning of the season so they can play the early round cup games etc.. and then when the season gets rolling loan them out to pick up a few more games somewhere else.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #940 on: November 26, 2019, 09:08:22 am »
Not sure myself.

Players like Wilson smashed it out on loan at Derby and is now at Bournemouth and people still think they didn't do enough to be part of our squad.

We're in danager of when we loan players out it's saying that they're finished here.

Brewster is a talent. He's a good player and considering we only have Origi as the main forward back up I think he should stay.

Doesn't Origi contradict that we consider players who have gone on loan as finished here?

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #941 on: November 26, 2019, 09:12:24 am »
I hope he goes out on loan. He’s struggling to make an impact here so far this season

I think Jones has jumped above him in terms of “next prospect” but that’s only my perception

think Brewster needs to play every week and get some rhythm and of course bang a few goals in

Not sure it needs to be championship to be honest, just needs games. I wouldn’t send him to Palace or a prem team as not sure he’ll be trusted to start. He needs starts

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #942 on: November 26, 2019, 09:23:48 am »
Doesn't Origi contradict that we consider players who have gone on loan as finished here?

Was thinking mainly young British players.

To be fair Origi didn't set the world alight on loan but we had a lack of forwards when he came back.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 09:31:13 am by Fordy »

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #943 on: November 26, 2019, 09:25:55 am »
I hope he goes out on loan. He’s struggling to make an impact here so far this season

I think Jones has jumped above him in terms of “next prospect” but that’s only my perception

think Brewster needs to play every week and get some rhythm and of course bang a few goals in

Not sure it needs to be championship to be honest, just needs games. I wouldn’t send him to Palace or a prem team as not sure he’ll be trusted to start. He needs starts

Jones hasn't jumped above him at all and faces a harder task getting into the squad than Brewster.

Think both have a future here and shouldn't be written off.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #944 on: November 26, 2019, 09:26:10 am »
Was thinking mainly British players.

To be fair Origi didn't set the world alight on loan but we had a lack of forwards when he came back.

That tends to be how young players get the chance though - look at TAA as an example of a young player benefiting from a lack of decent RB cover (Gomez too).

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #945 on: November 26, 2019, 09:28:20 am »
Jones hasn't jumped above him at all and faces a harder task getting into the squad than Brewster.

Think both have a future here and shouldn't be written off.

I disagree jones has it harder to get in the squad but agree totally both have a future. Not sure anyone is writing off anyone!!

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #946 on: November 26, 2019, 09:45:49 am »

If he does, hope it's to Leeds. Team with a fantastic coach, good set of players around to learn from and also could get used to playing in front of fans where there is high expectation and them challenging at the right side of the table. 
JFT97

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #947 on: November 26, 2019, 09:52:06 am »
A question to those that have watched him more regularly at youth levels and the like; Is he really that good? He seemed to be very much a poacher type from the little glimpses I've had of him. Who does he compare to among current strikers? Tammy Abraham or is he more of a Solanke?
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #948 on: November 26, 2019, 09:52:41 am »
If he does, hope it's to Leeds. Team with a fantastic coach, good set of players around to learn from and also could get used to playing in front of fans where there is high expectation and them challenging at the right side of the table. 

Not sure about Leeds. Play 1 up top mainly and the Arsenal lad can't get a look in.

Brentford, Bristol City but I think a PL love would be better linked with Villa which would be a great loan.

Online Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #949 on: November 26, 2019, 09:54:17 am »
Is he really going to get minutes in a pl team? I'd be surprised.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #950 on: November 26, 2019, 09:57:36 am »

I agree. Can’t see it. Especially if that team gets sucked into a relegation battle

I think if he goes on loan it should be championship or league one that play two up front and where he starts 90% of matches. Play 15 games and hope he sets the league alight

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #951 on: November 26, 2019, 09:59:36 am »
A question to those that have watched him more regularly at youth levels and the like; Is he really that good? He seemed to be very much a poacher type from the little glimpses I've had of him. Who does he compare to among current strikers? Tammy Abraham or is he more of a Solanke?
If we're just going purely on playing style probably Vardy.

A premier league loan is only going to be good if he plays, which i think is very doubtful. He'd be better off dropping down to league 1 and playing every game than playing 200 something minutes for a premier league club.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #952 on: November 26, 2019, 09:59:45 am »

Sturridge at 18 was absolutely rapid and his acceleration combined with his close control allowed him to beat players all over the pitch and then smash the ball home from any angle. Sturridge was a mega-talent at 18. The best comparison would be Sancho, not Brewster.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #953 on: November 26, 2019, 10:02:28 am »

Oh I don't know. I'd say there's a few vlubs who could do with an extra striker.  Problem is do you trust the manager to make best use of them.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #954 on: November 26, 2019, 10:07:33 am »

[/quote]

Well seems like Palace are leading the race to get him on loan in Jan.

Think people don't realise how highly rated this kid is.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #955 on: November 26, 2019, 10:13:59 am »

Well seems like Palace are leading the race to get him on loan in Jan.

Think people don't realise how highly rated this kid is.

The club will make the best decision for him but it’s not about being highly rated. There’s 100 highly rated kids playing. It’s about game time and taking that chance

Take the Arsenal lad as an example. He starts for England U-21 ahead of Brewster. Bangs the goals in. Can’t get a game at Leeds

If Brewstwr goes to palace are they dropping Ayew for him? Does he go above Benteke?

I’d rather see him go to somewhere like Oxford and play 15 full matches to be honest

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #956 on: November 26, 2019, 10:24:01 am »
Not sure about Leeds. Play 1 up top mainly and the Arsenal lad can't get a look in.

Brentford, Bristol City but I think a PL love would be better linked with Villa which would be a great loan.

Bielsa normally favours Bamford who puts a shift in but misses so many chances that Leeds team create. I would hope Brewster could match Bamford's work rate and be better than him in front of goal.

It is a bid weird that Nketiah hasn't played more than he has though.

Wherever he ends up, it will be good for him playing in games even if its league one.
JFT97

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #957 on: November 26, 2019, 10:24:42 am »
He'll go somewhere where game time is written into the contract, so doubt it'll be the likes of Palace or Leeds.

Offline vblfc

• "Verily, behold! Liverpool Football Club!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic
« Reply #958 on: November 26, 2019, 10:25:32 am »
It's tough for Rhian.  The bar is set so high with our forward line at the moment being head and shoulders above most anything worldwide. Most young strikers would struggle to make a breakthrough.  Comparisons to Origi maybe miss that Divock is a full Belgian international and scored derby, Champions League winners etc. etc. Consider Shaq and Ox - again experienced full internationals, struggle to hold a starting place.  Throw Keita in there as well (of course, not so much for forward place).  This squad is really elite now into a depth we didn't see when Sturridge joined for example., it would be difficult for almost any player/striker (especially young and coming off such a big injury) to live up to these standards.  What a great problem to have.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #959 on: November 26, 2019, 10:28:24 am »
Can we go back to the summer and have the arguments over whether we need another front 3 player or not because apparently one of the reasons we didn't was that Brewster was ready for first team football - not just on here but on the major lfc podcasts etc etc
It was a bad argument then and its not a surprise he's struggled.... he's a 19 year old prospect coming off the best part of a year out of football with a serious injury. The worry is he's lost pace/sharpness at a crucial time in his development.
Best thing for him is that he goes somewhere and plays so he can rehabilitate and we can see if he's got a shot at making it here
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 10:34:18 am by JackWard33 »