Author Topic: Question Time.  (Read 85519 times)

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Question Time.
« Reply #240 on: May 12, 2017, 04:42:03 pm »
I see the first question last night from a member of the public in the audience about is Labour taking us back to the 70s was a Tory councilor.

Indeed, this seems to happen every time QT is in Scotland.

Makes me wonder if it's happening more often, it just only gets caught when it's in Scotland because all the 'cybernats' are on the look out for it.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #241 on: May 12, 2017, 05:26:35 pm »
Indeed, this seems to happen every time QT is in Scotland.

Makes me wonder if it's happening more often, it just only gets caught when it's in Scotland because all the 'cybernats' are on the look out for it.

They choose the questions by asking the audience to write a question out before they come into the location and they pick one that they think is the best. Must have someone on the 'inside'.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #242 on: May 12, 2017, 05:28:13 pm »
They choose the questions by asking the audience to write a question out before they come into the location and they pick one that they think is the best. Must have someone on the 'inside'.
or those Tories are just really good at writing questions.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: May 12, 2017, 05:29:34 pm »
You have to declare if you are involved in politics in a professional way when you apply and are usually not invited if you are....

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: May 12, 2017, 05:30:33 pm »
or those Tories are just really good at writing questions.

That was very much a crowd that wasnt a fan of the Tories so the liklihood was that the question framed in that way was going to be few and far between.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #245 on: May 12, 2017, 07:08:44 pm »
I see the first question last night from a member of the public in the audience about is Labour taking us back to the 70s was a Tory councilor.

So? No doubt all sorts of Labour people ask questions too. All of the questions have the askers bias implicit in it.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #246 on: May 12, 2017, 07:10:05 pm »
You have to declare if you are involved in politics in a professional way when you apply and are usually not invited if you are....

Councillors aren't professional. They only get expenses. Or a Tory politician lied. Take your pick.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: May 12, 2017, 07:11:06 pm »
Councillors aren't professional. They only get expenses. Or a Tory politician lied. Take your pick.

They are in Scotland.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #248 on: May 13, 2017, 10:19:07 am »
Who was the woman with the weird teeth?

Is she any relation to the other strangely dentined lady who was on several months ago?

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: May 13, 2017, 10:20:47 am »
Who was the woman with the weird teeth?

Is she any relation to the other strangely dentined lady who was on several months ago?

Merryn Somerset Webb - Editor in chief of Moneyweek
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Online Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: May 14, 2017, 05:26:27 pm »

OH damn, she was on QT. I was a subscriber of Moneyweek for a decade.

Her predictions were beyond shit ... like I'm talking disastrous. She predicted a London housing crash and Japan being a great stock market resurgent investment. Both horribly wrong yet she was pushing this shit opinion for years.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: May 14, 2017, 06:40:31 pm »

Merryn Somerset Webb sounds like a character out of Penny Dreadful.

Mind you with those gnashers maybe she was. ???

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: May 14, 2017, 07:14:27 pm »
Merryn Somerset Webb sounds like a character out of Penny Dreadful.

Sounds more like a dictionary to me.

Offline Priest078

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: June 1, 2017, 11:34:35 pm »
Some bad tories out tonight .

Offline MaskedBenitez

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: June 1, 2017, 11:37:46 pm »
Ah, the smug, arrogant little man is back. The idea that David Davis will have a key role in this country's future scares me.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: June 1, 2017, 11:41:16 pm »
Why do they invite kippers, never mind that c*nt

Online TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #256 on: June 2, 2017, 12:05:44 am »
Why do they invite kippers, never mind that c*nt

Literally the only positive after this election and the collapse of the UKIP vote will be that hopefully we stop seeing them being over represented on every fucking TV show.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: June 2, 2017, 02:14:42 am »
Literally the only positive after this election and the collapse of the UKIP vote will be that hopefully we stop seeing them being over represented on every fucking TV show.

I dont mind UKIP appearing on Question Time. If the SNP and Plaid appear on it, why not UKIP?

The only ones groups I would ban are free market think tanks (Adam Smith Institute, TPA, IEA etc.), anyone who has a fake job of religious nature (i.e. that c*nt Giles Fraser) and Owen Jones.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: June 2, 2017, 07:59:00 am »
Watching last night's Question Time this this morning, David Davis seems to want to pursue a free trade deal with the EU but control immigration and the rights of immigrants here in the UK, labour laws etc. But he can't go in there like that can he? It doesn't make sense? Or did I misunderstand him?

Oh, and there's an Indian guy who wants to get rid of immigrants. Which is nice.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #259 on: June 2, 2017, 09:01:03 am »
Watching last night's Question Time this this morning, David Davis seems to want to pursue a free trade deal with the EU but control immigration and the rights of immigrants here in the UK, labour laws etc. But he can't go in there like that can he? It doesn't make sense? Or did I misunderstand him?

It's perfectly possible to do a free trade deal that doesn't involve the commitments of the Single Market and the four freedoms, e.g. like the Canada-EU deal just completed.

Problem is it took 7 (seven) years to negotiate that deal and it is limited in the area of services which just happens to be what most of the UK economy is based on.

Then's there's the issue of having to negotiate deals simultaneously with other countries to make up for the ones we're losing as part of the EU. All with a much weaker bargaining position - economy of 60m rather than 450m. The fact that others know we're desperate for a deal. And having a grand total of ZERO negotiators.

Not to mention that out economy is completely intertwined in the EU and extracting it will take years or decades of effort.

But luckily we've got a hugely talented government on the case - May, Johnson, Leadsom, Fox.

It'll be a breeze....

Offline OperationIvy

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #260 on: June 2, 2017, 09:01:59 am »

Oh, and there's an Indian guy who wants to get rid of immigrants. Which is nice.

He's clearly British; you racist.

And his point about bogus colleges is spot on. I don't think most people realise the scale of the problem.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: June 2, 2017, 09:07:35 am »
It's perfectly possible to do a free trade deal that doesn't involve the commitments of the Single Market and the four freedoms, e.g. like the Canada-EU deal just completed.

Problem is it took 7 (seven) years to negotiate that deal and it is limited in the area of services which just happens to be what most of the UK economy is based on.

Then's there's the issue of having to negotiate deals simultaneously with other countries to make up for the ones we're losing as part of the EU. All with a much weaker bargaining position - economy of 60m rather than 450m. The fact that others know we're desperate for a deal. And having a grand total of ZERO negotiators.

Not to mention that out economy is completely intertwined in the EU and extracting it will take years or decades of effort.

But luckily we've got a hugely talented government on the case - May, Johnson, Leadsom, Fox.

It'll be a breeze....

Thanks. It is a complex issue, though the way Davis was talking, he made it sound like it would be more of a relatively simple job.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: June 2, 2017, 09:18:18 am »
Thanks. It is a complex issue, though the way Davis was talking, he made it sound like it would be more of a relatively simple job.

The Brexiteers have always done this, it's far from simple.

Infact, it's the complete opposite from simple, I'd use the words complex and long  :)

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #263 on: June 2, 2017, 09:56:04 am »

And his point about bogus colleges is spot on. I don't think most people realise the scale of the problem.

Well first, he was saying 'you' so I'm not sure how British he actually is

As for the bogus colleges - a lot have been closed but it certainly a problem. I don't think people realise how many people are here illegally from India and Pakistan.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: June 2, 2017, 09:59:07 am »
That Asian guy was crazy.

Hearing an Asian guy say 'This isn't England anymore' is pretty funny.  What does that even mean?

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: June 2, 2017, 10:05:56 am »

I don't think what I said was racist. Personally, I like to see myself as both British and Indian despite being born in the UK, and if someone describes me as Indian, then I wouldn't automatically get offended or think of them as a racist.

Regardless of him being British then, I did find it sad that someone of South Asian descent, indeed someone who likely has emigrated to this country sees it fit to sound like a UKIPper though (heck Suzanne Evans sounded like a moderate when she responded to him), I know people like that who voted for Brexit for those reasons as well as others, such as the £350m that's now going to be spent on the NHS.

This last year/18 months seems to have brought out the worst in humanity, this demonising of immigrants by some sections of society being one part of it.

Please enlighten me.

gqP6w

« Reply #266 on: June 2, 2017, 10:17:15 am »

As for the bogus colleges - a lot have been closed but it certainly a problem. I don't think people realise how many people are here illegally from India and Pakistan.
Which is an area we've had full control over in terms of immigration

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: June 2, 2017, 11:07:45 am »

Please enlighten me.

People from India and Pakistan enrolling in 'colleges' to get a student visa to enter the country, the colleges have no actual classes or teaching and instead the 'students' work here for cash in hand jobs. I know and have met a fair few people doing exactly this.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: June 2, 2017, 11:10:49 am »
That Asian guy was crazy.

Hearing an Asian guy say 'This isn't England anymore' is pretty funny.  What does that even mean?

I know plenty of irony impaired Asians with the same view about immigration, but it tends to be mostly complaints against immigrants from Europe rather then 'our own' in my experience.
Thinking is overrated.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: June 2, 2017, 11:16:12 am »

Yep. even the people who do it are known to the authorities and yet no action has been taken to make them leave.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: June 2, 2017, 11:44:39 am »
People from India and Pakistan enrolling in 'colleges' to get a student visa to enter the country, the colleges have no actual classes or teaching and instead the 'students' work here for cash in hand jobs. I know and have met a fair few people doing exactly this.

Thanks.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: June 2, 2017, 12:25:30 pm »
I know plenty of irony impaired Asians with the same view about immigration, but it tends to be mostly complaints against immigrants from Europe rather then 'our own' in my experience.

Yes the same with me and some Black people I know. They bang on about immigration from Europe as if those who came before from the west indies had some kind of divine right while those pesky eastern Europeans have no place here.  It's all very bizarre.

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Big Exeter fan, pretending to be a gooner, pretending...yawn
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: June 2, 2017, 12:29:16 pm »
People all over the world complain about immigration or immigrants. Why would anyone coming from India or Pakistan to live and bring up a family be any different? If anything its a sign of assimilation as that is one thing British people are great at going on about immigration.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: June 2, 2017, 12:33:55 pm »
People all over the world complain about immigration or immigrants. Why would anyone coming from India or Pakistan to live and bring up a family be any different? If anything its a sign of assimilation as that is one thing British people are great at going on about immigration.

I dunno maybe they would feel people have every right to want to come here to try better themselves and there family just as those complaining's parents and grandparents did.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: June 2, 2017, 04:16:25 pm »

Ah yes, that great British pasttime of sitting down with a nice cup of tea, chatting to your friend about the weather and scapegoating people of different cultures.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: June 2, 2017, 04:20:34 pm »
I dunno maybe they would feel people have every right to want to come here to try better themselves and there family just as those complaining's parents and grandparents did.

One thing I have found about the South Asian community who bang on about immigration is that they have a massive emphasis on class. They seem to equate hard work to success and it seems the Eastern Europeans who tend to do much more modest jobs with very little wealth havent worked as hard as them.

Like I have said before, it never ceases to amaze me how right wing many Indians (and its Indians in particular) are.

There also seems to be a divide growing between 2nd and 3rd generation Indians and those from Pakistani and other nations descent with the young British Asians going towards the Tories.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: June 2, 2017, 05:54:08 pm »
One thing I have found about the South Asian community who bang on about immigration is that they have a massive emphasis on class. They seem to equate hard work to success and it seems the Eastern Europeans who tend to do much more modest jobs with very little wealth havent worked as hard as them.

Like I have said before, it never ceases to amaze me how right wing many Indians (and its Indians in particular) are.

There also seems to be a divide growing between 2nd and 3rd generation Indians and those from Pakistani and other nations descent with the young British Asians going towards the Tories.

I have never heard any Indian be prejudiced about Eastern Europeans on any class basis based or the jobs they do as plenty of Indians did menial jobs when they came over here in the 60's and 70's, we weren't all doctors and accounts, especially those who came straight from India rather then East Africa (who tended to be the more educated Indians who came here). Most Indians of my grandparents generation were illiterate and that refelected the work they did when they came over.

The prejudice comes from in my experience misconceptions that all Eastern Europeans live on benefits (to be fair a lot of Indians think all white people live on benefits!), jealousy that they can come here so easily when they had to struggle to get here, and that they are generally untidy and make the areas they live in less pleasant.

As for the divide between Indians and other Asians, yes too many have forgotten the struggles of their parents and the prejudices of the Tories because they were born here and made themselves a few quid.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: June 2, 2017, 05:56:01 pm »
Ah yes, that great British pasttime of sitting down with a nice cup of tea, chatting to your friend about the weather and scapegoating people of different cultures.

You know what, Cliff isn't a million miles away from the truth sadly.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline stevo7

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Direct Action Now
« Reply #278 on: June 30, 2017, 01:46:03 pm »
Thought Stella Creasy & Zanny Minton Beddoes were very good last night - facts not soudbites.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: June 30, 2017, 01:51:22 pm »
Watched the first ten minutes.

Is it just me or is Liam Fox a bit thick?