Author Topic: North and South Korea Vow to End Hostilities in Historic Accord  (Read 80774 times)

Offline wardides

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • A FUCKING BEACH BALL
Re: North Korea massing 50,000 troops on border
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2010, 04:07:46 pm »
Somebody probably owes them 40 quid.
Bet 1, Lyon v B Munich...No Hat Trick @ 1.03.
Little does he know, he's left the Beatles and joined fucking Razorlight.

Offline Una cerveza, por favor

• As cold as ice... and almost as interesting.™
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡Sí sí sí, la Copa ya está aquí!
    • JFT96
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2010, 07:08:20 pm »
:lmao
C'est la vie.

Offline kopite@m45

• A frightening peek inside the mind of a Tory voter... fuck me its roomy in here
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mo mo mo, Mo Sissoko
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2010, 06:44:10 pm »
Let's not forget this pinhead is in charge of a nuclear arsenal and has close ties with Iran and Pakistan.

Slowly the aid has been drying up as 'the west' gets fed up with their constant threats and it comes to this.
A legendary dickhead, no less.

Offline Mr Mojo Risin'

• No longer counts double
  • Legacy Fan
  • i've been down so god damn long
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2010, 03:05:29 pm »
How close are the two countries to all out war?
DON'T BUY THE  SUN.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2010, 03:09:45 pm »
Who ever goes out of the World Cup first will probably see their arse and kick off. So mid June I reckon.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2010, 03:10:46 pm »

According to an article I read by a professor in Seoul university, the South doesn't really want a war. They know the US military is stretched at the moment and Kim Jong Il has missiles and possibly nukes that could flatten Seoul. Even small measures taken by the government such as cutting off inter-Korean trade and resuming the broadcasting of propaganda along the DMZ have been met with much criticism. As for the North, no one knows. The timing suggests it's the perfect opportunity to attack. Personally, I feel that one of the things holding them back may be the World Cup, maybe they'll wait until their team returns or something.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline rotistgeil

• Unflabbable in the face of lesbian scenes in public park.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2010, 03:32:35 pm »
If the North attacks the South, even China might be tempted to flatten the North.

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2010, 03:57:24 pm »
China and Russia prob hold the key to peace.

Last thing anyone wants is war. South wont have the US backing, who are streched as it is. The world needs to be saving money not pissing it away on bombs

Looks like muscle flexing by Kim Dung. North Korea's military is poorly equipped and would get crushed from an aerial bombardment by the South backed up by the US.

Turkey shoot.

IF and that's IF that happened. What are the chances Russia/China back the north
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 04:01:28 pm by buzzing »
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline jdecker

• Main Stander
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2010, 05:37:04 pm »
China and Russia prob hold the key to peace.

Last thing anyone wants is war. South wont have the US backing, who are streched as it is. The world needs to be saving money not pissing it away on bombs

IF and that's IF that happened. What are the chances Russia/China back the north

I think China's key, definitely, and so far they've managed to say a lot without really saying anything about where they stand. Premier Wen said they wouldn't protect whoever sank the Cheonan, but didn't say explicitly that it was NK.

To be honest, I don't think they would back NK like they did in 1950. They have nothing to gain by supporting/defending one of the most oppressive regimes in the world, plus any conflict on the peninsula would ultimately destroy NK (and a lot of SK), and in some ways I would think Beijing would just be glad to be rid of NK altogether. Crass, I know, but maybe true.

As an aside, next month will mark the 60th anniversary of the outbreak of the Korean War. Maybe important in a propaganda-driven society like NK?

Offline Hyypia headers

• Am I a Real Liverpool Fan...
  • Kopite
  • Impossible?
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2010, 09:17:05 pm »
I agree that China is the most important player in this game, that is the reason I think nothing will happen. And if it does, it will be over very fast. China don't have time for some crazy NK attacks and if they back them they can only lose. So either good old Kim listens tot China and not a shot is fired or the crazy old cogger does go in head first only the find out that he is on his own and if by any means the Chinees are bothered by this, and with them conquering the world economically they probably will be, it will be the last time the world has to bother about the north.

I don't think the Russians will join in as the can only come out losing.
Let me tell you about the times when tackling was allowed

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2010, 11:52:07 pm »
China can end this bullshit at any time by cutting off NK's electricity. That wanker won't even be able to launch his missiles
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2010, 12:53:32 am »
He would be stupid to use nukes. Shifting winds would blow nuclear fallout back into his territory and probably knock off a quarter of the population of North Korea, not to mention spreading into China.

If anything, it will be a conventional war.

This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2010, 01:26:18 am »
He would be stupid to use nukes. Shifting winds would blow nuclear fallout back into his territory and probably knock off a quarter of the population of North Korea, not to mention spreading into China.

Prob too stupid to realise

"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2010, 07:36:22 am »

If anything, it will be a conventional war.

They'd rather let starving children die in their thousands than accept emergency food relief from international aid organisations. I don't think they care if 5 million people die.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2010, 09:14:14 am »
It would be comforting to think that the Chinese would have sway over the situation and calm things down but I'm just not too sure about that anymore.

The thing about NK is just how insular a country it is. The regime really does have a total control of it's subjects, not only in what they are allowed to do, but in what they even think they are not allowed to do, and that carries on into areas like their knowledge of the outside world. They are conditioned so much I honestly doubt for example that the vast majority of NK have even heard of the Internet and probably have scant understanding of the rest of the world except through the fractured prism of Lil' Kim.

It's the land that time forgot, yet that hasn't forgotten, and with a pretty despotic crazy nutter and corresponding system in control and a huge though ill equipped army, but also possibly a few nuclear devices. While debatable that they actually work yet, it's also unlikely that they can reliably toss them as far as the US, I would imagine places like Japan must feel a little uneasy and with Lil' Kim, I'm concerned a justification could be found to attempt to do such a thing if he thinks he's in a corner.

But like Finn, I'm really not sure the NK regime cares about the consequences of its actions, rather like Enver Hoxha and Albania. The sad thing is, if it actually comes to war, technology has moved on since the 50's and their army will probably be slaughtered, like the Mahdi's at Karhtoum, and without them even realising that it was pointless. And when the dust settles, Lil' Kim will be found to have been given asylum in somewhere like Harare....

Theres an interesting angle here on the possible reason for the current Chinese position.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2010, 05:55:02 pm »
Must be a crisis situation within the country. Same old story - problems at home = find an enemy to unite against.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline jdecker

• Main Stander
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2010, 06:28:37 pm »
Must be a crisis situation within the country. Same old story - problems at home = find an enemy to unite against.
Just finished reading The Economist's piece on the situation (http://www.economist.com/displaystory.cfm?story_id=16214349). They point to crackdown on private markets and failed currency reform as the main crises this time, but also the continuing issue of the power transfer when Kim Jong Il bites the dust.

It also emphasizes the need for contingency plans in the event that the regime just implodes, even if the possibility of it seems remote. The prospect of Chinese and US troops face to face in that situation with no concrete plan for who's in charge, who takes control of nuclear weapons, etc. is definitely an anxiety-inducing one.

And I have to agree with others on here, that with NK, you can't expect rationality or reason in what they do and how they react to situations, perceived threats, etc. That's what's scary about it.

Offline Canada Loves Anfield

• Everything you do is a balloon
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
If it acts like a cock and a banner appears on the kop with its name written down the shaft of a cock, it probably is...

Liverpool FC - Toronto Supporters Club: http://lfctoronto.com/

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2010, 07:00:41 pm »
They should fire seals at them, solving two problems in one fell swoop.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2010, 10:35:40 pm »
Quote from: Andy@Allerton on Today at 07:00:41 PM
;D
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline ...

• Better than "Wall's Viennetta". Fact.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2010, 11:21:45 pm »

love it

Offline buchigo!

• Legacy Fan
  • okay javier but i'm only on loan... for sure no?
« Reply #61 on: June 2, 2010, 11:46:31 pm »

pyongyang sporting club hasn't ran out of humans yet.

http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2010/06/01/does_north_korea_have_human_kamikaze_torpedo_units
Finish the job sir. Come back when we deserve you.

Offline koptommy93

• Legacy Fan
  • @tharris113
« Reply #62 on: June 3, 2010, 10:26:55 pm »
worrying stuff this
I for one welcome our new insect overloads

Offline El Campeador

• Capital of Culture's Campaign Manager...Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The shupporters create chances, for sure, djes
« Reply #63 on: June 3, 2010, 10:46:34 pm »
worrying stuff this

Ahh look on the bright side. Maybe we'll have a nuclear winter and football will be canceled.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2010, 01:06:53 pm »
99 Red Balloons...

floating in the summer sky.
Panic bells, it's red alert.
There's something here from somewhere else.
The war machine springs to life.
Opens up one eager eye.
Focusing it on the sky.
Where 99 red balloons go by.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2010, 06:09:21 am »
Ratcheted up slightly this morning...http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-10748148

North Korea says it will use its "nuclear deterrent" in response to joint US-South Korean military exercises this weekend.

Offline rotistgeil

• Unflabbable in the face of lesbian scenes in public park.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2010, 12:30:47 pm »
Ratcheted up slightly this morning...http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-10748148

North Korea says it will use its "nuclear deterrent" in response to joint US-South Korean military exercises this weekend.

Hah, if they dare to use anything nuclear there will not be much NK left to be honest.

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2010, 02:29:49 pm »
The entire country reminds me of a petulant kid screaming for attention. Hope someone beats it up soon.
Twitter - FinnSolomon

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2010, 02:45:35 pm »
Fuck em, the cupboard is bare and believe it or not, there may be more cuts on the way!  it must be time to call on...............
http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/content/images/2007/08/07/itainthalfhotmum_3_396x222.jpg
G'Day Lid - Official Scouse rep of the OCB Down Under.

Offline jdecker

• Main Stander
« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2010, 05:16:20 pm »
Hah, if they dare to use anything nuclear there will not be much NK left to be honest.

There wouldn't be much South Korea left either though.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2010, 05:30:20 pm »
Here's how I imagine it will go down.

Most likely - NK don't nuke anyone
Slightly likely - One of these 3 things happens:

1.America responds by calling on the UN to amass a gigantic invasion force, with North Korea falling within a month, having been abandoned by their Chinese bodyguard, with (theoretically) minimal civilian casualties
2.America sends one nuke over, and NK surrender having realised just who and what they're fucking with
2. America says 'fuck this shit' and nukes the country off the face of the earth, obliterating the vast majority of North Koreans, whether they're involved with the military and government or not.

Note. All of my military knowledge comes from videogames and shitty war films ;D

Offline Suspect Package.

• Legacy Fan
  • Wingers? ....wait, we do have wingers now?
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2010, 05:41:39 pm »
North Korea couldn't nuke anyone if they wanted to as their nuclear weapons aren't integrated with their missile technology.

I.e. currently their only method of delivering them would be to put one on a flatbed truck and drive it over the border. At the moment North Korea's nuclear threat is a paper tiger. And if a shooting war broke out you can bet their nuclear facilities would be first on the target list for the bunker busters. Course that's not to say the North Koreans won't get it sorted into a credible programme given time.

Their real deterrent is that North Korea has thousands of artillery pieces and rockets aimed at South Korea's capital Seoul. They'd eventually lose a conventional war for certain but they'd kill a lot of civilians in their mini-blitz too. Course noone's going to be nuking anyone or going to war with anyone. The average North Korean still thinks it's the 50s and they'll be marching to victory, but their leadership knows the real deal despite their ridiculous press releases about destroying America with their 'armed might'. South Korea and America would end up occupying a basketcase country next to a hostile China. They'd have problems merely feeding the population, and a nightmare over choices for a long term Germany-style reunification. China wants to avoid a war, seeing as they know it'd end up with DRPK's regime collapsing, the Americans setting up shop next door and thousands of North Korean civilians making their way across their border.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 05:56:57 pm by Suspect Package. »
I'm really hoping Sturridge busts out the wacky dip when he scores.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #72 on: August 2, 2010, 01:44:55 am »
North Korea couldn't nuke anyone if they wanted to as their nuclear weapons aren't integrated with their missile technology.

how shit is that!

unbelievable, I mean the Germans were close to it in 1945, are the Korean Rocket scientists shite?

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #73 on: August 4, 2010, 11:07:48 am »
North Korea missing 50,000 troops on border

Don't believe it.  They're masters of camoflage.
Kill the humourless

Offline buchigo!

• Legacy Fan
  • okay javier but i'm only on loan... for sure no?
« Reply #74 on: August 4, 2010, 11:11:07 am »
how shit is that!

unbelievable, I mean the Germans were close to it in 1945, are the Korean Rocket scientists shite?

yes. their last test fizzled out over the sea of japan.
Finish the job sir. Come back when we deserve you.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #75 on: August 5, 2010, 10:56:14 pm »
yes. their last test fizzled out over the sea of japan.

ha ha

Why couldn't they strap a nuke to one of those?

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.
« Reply #76 on: August 6, 2010, 03:54:45 pm »

I.e. currently their only method of delivering them would be to put one on a flatbed truck and drive it over the border. At the moment North Korea's nuclear threat is a paper tiger. And if a shooting war broke out you can bet their nuclear facilities would be first on the target list for the bunker busters. Course that's not to say the North Koreans won't get it sorted into a credible programme given time.

Their real deterrent is that North Korea has thousands of artillery pieces and rockets aimed at South Korea's capital Seoul. They'd eventually lose a conventional war for certain but they'd kill a lot of civilians in their mini-blitz too. Course noone's going to be nuking anyone or going to war with anyone. The average North Korean still thinks it's the 50s and they'll be marching to victory, but their leadership knows the real deal despite their ridiculous press releases about destroying America with their 'armed might'. South Korea and America would end up occupying a basketcase country next to a hostile China. They'd have problems merely feeding the population, and a nightmare over choices for a long term Germany-style reunification. China wants to avoid a war, seeing as they know it'd end up with DRPK's regime collapsing, the Americans setting up shop next door and thousands of North Korean civilians making their way across their border.

Don't know where you are getting your intel but I can assure you, they have missles capable of carrying nuclear warheads.

This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline litliper

• Legacy Fan
  • Does anybody wanna buy a country?
« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2010, 08:10:38 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11818005

Artillery fire on Korean border

Houses on the island are said to be on fire after the artillery exchange

South Korea says it has returned fire after North Korea fired around 200 artillery shells onto one of its border islands, reportedly killing one marine.

The South's military was placed on its highest non-wartime alert after the shells landed on Yeonpyeong island.

North Korea has not yet commented on the incident, in which three marines and two civilians were also injured.

Correspondents say this is one of the most serious since the the Korean War ended without a peace treaty in 1953.

There have been occasional cross-border clashes since, but the latest incident comes at a time of rising regional tension.

North Korea's reclusive leader Kim Jong-il is believed to be ill and trying to engineer the succession of his youngest son. And on Saturday, North Korea showed off what it claimed was a new uranium enrichment facility - potentially giving it a second route to a nuclear weapon.

The move prompted the US special representative for North Korea, Stephen Bosworth, to rule out the resumption of six-party talks on resolving the nuclear issue.

South Korean presidential spokesman Kim Hee-jung also said it was investigating a possible link between the artillery attack and recent maritime exercises near the western sea border earlier on Tuesday.

'Illegal firing'
South Korean officials said artillery rounds landed on Yeonpyeong island, near the disputed inter-Korean maritime border to the west of the Korean Peninsula.

Q&A: Inter-Korean crisis
"A North Korean artillery unit staged an illegal firing provocation at 1434 PM (0534 GMT) and South Korean troops fired back immediately in self-defence," a defence ministry spokesman told AFP.

A resident on the island told the agency that dozens of houses were damaged, while television pictures reportedly showed plumes of smoke rising above the island.

"Houses and mountains are on fire and people are evacuating. You can't see very well because of plumes of smoke," a witness on the island told YTN television station.

"People are frightened to death," the witness added.

South Korea had deployed fighter jets to the island, Yonhap news agency said.

This western maritime border, also known as the Northern Limit Line, has been the scene of numerous clashes between the two Koreas in the past.

In March, a South Korean warship went down near the border with the loss of 46 lives.

International investigators say a North Korean torpedo sank the ship, although Pyongyang has denied any role in the incident.

Since then relations between the two neighbours have remained tense.
"My country is the world, and my religion to do good." (Thomas Paine)

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: November 23, 2010, 09:11:28 am »
oh joy I have to go to korea next week for a few days to do a job

Offline Dixon_Cox

• Gay Porn Star For Hire
  • Anny Roader
  • Stared Cafu in the eyes & he flinched!
« Reply #79 on: November 23, 2010, 09:18:27 am »
oh joy I have to go to korea next week for a few days to do a job

Black Ops I presume.

Better get practising on the PS3.