Author Topic: RAWK Round Table MUFC 1-1 LFC (Agg 1-3) Europa League  (Read 9689 times)

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
RAWK Round Table MUFC 1-1 LFC (Agg 1-3) Europa League
« on: March 17, 2016, 10:45:47 pm »
Perhaps one of the few pleasures left to us fans of a nervous disposition, especially when playing Utd, is the knowledge that a European Ref doesn't bother with Fergie time, not that anyone gives Van Gaal time, certainly not the Utd board on display's like last week's. So I could almost finally relax when up came 2 extra minutes and they needed to score 3.
Happy fucking days indeed.

The most lovely thing of the two ties was not our dominance in the first leg, that reminded me of the one face of Klopp's Liverpool, but I'd seen that face before; no, it was tonight's defensive performance, especially from Sahko who though gangly of leg, is becoming a Carragher in his own right, little by little. Sure he has a long way to go and big boots to fill, but blimey the team played with an assured swagger that didn't look like our recent defences. Is slowly but surely Herr Klopp getting the defence strong? Who knows, but tonight we looked like a European team of class and Utd, though they played better, (they couldn't do much worse) they still rarely threatened to alarm.

Fellani is still one of their most important players and shouldn't have been on the pitch in my view but apart from he, Martial and De Gea, they are a side who present no fear, and still have that graceless attitude instilled in them by Sir A of F.

Firmino frustrated me tonight and Coutinho threatened to, too. Witness the two tweets from Jamie Carragher, 15 mins apart, one berating Philip for a terrible choice of ball, then the next, "All is forgiven you little Brazilian f*****r". If that goal had been taken by Messi, social media would've melted.

I'm delighted because the match mattered and I'm delighted because we could've folded a little under their early pressure but we grew in stature and control and I'm delighted because over two legs we fucked 'em. I really still don't like that team and that's why I'm smiling tonight.
Yep.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: RAWK Round Table MUFC 1-1 LFC (Agg 1-3) Europa League
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 10:31:23 pm »
Must confess I feared the worst after they went 1-0 up.  Not through any logic really in relation to the current Utd team, but probably more to do with games gone by when Ferguson was there.  As it was Coutinho magic effectively killed the game.  But even at half time I was hoping we'd either go for them right away as their heads may be down at the start of the second half, or alternatively withstand any pressure for 20 mins or so if they tried to fly at us.

As it turned out neither happened.  The game petered out into one of comfort really from a Liverpool point of view.  And in fact we should have won it on the night when you look at the saves each keeper had to make.  You wonder where Utd would be without De Gea.

Hats off to everyone on the pitch in a Liverpool shirt, but for me Sakho and Can stood out.  Coutinho was frustrating at times but the run in the second half when he zipped past 4 of them was worth the ticket price on its own.  If Sturridge had finished that we'd be raving about that right now.  Only negative was Clyne who had a bit of a nightmare.

It's a poor UTD team of course.  They appear to be drifting nowhere.  But who gives a toss and long may that continue.  Roll on Dortmund.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 11:38:20 pm »
Never thought I'd ever type the words Sakho and Lovren were solid but Sakho and Lovren were solid. They're as shite as I've seen them but still capable of creating a few chances with the likes of Martial and Mata. We kept our cool to a large degree and waited for our chances knowing a goal would finish the tie.

If Firmino had turned up we'd have won the game convincingly.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 11:52:00 pm »
Hendo being ill did not help with our performance in the first half and it went up a couple of notches as soon as he was replaced. Similarly if Lallana and Bobby had put in the sort of performances they have recently we would have had a comfortable win last night.

But enough of the if's because in reality once the little Magician equalised the game was a bit of a formality where we should have scored if we were a bit more clinical, Utd at this stage knew their fate and we're just trying to keep the score respectable.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 11:53:59 pm »
Both legs showed how tactically flexible we've become recently. Having a healthy squad has helped that a great deal for sure but our players also seem to understand several roles much better under a Klopp. We're starting to see how he turned some of the players at Dortmund in to real gems because he seems to have a way of getting his way across to the players.

Having Divock Origi really has been a massive asset to have when we're winning the game. We saw a shorter sample of it in the 1st leg but in the second leg, we saw how he really helps us counteract pressure just by simply holding the ball well, being able to run it well and even if the ball out isn't one he can win, he can apply pressure to stop their defenders having an easy ball back forward. His pace is just awesome to have at the back end of a game. It's the same reason I want to see more of Ojo over the rest of the season even if simply off the bench. Defenders just really hate proper pace, and it's something we've not had enough of over the last few years.

I'm also delighted to see our defensive spine has improved greatly in the last few weeks. Lovren and Can are especially playing the best football they've played in a Liverpool shirt. Both have started using their power very effectively and it has meant teams have stopped just waltzing through the middle like nothing. What especially impressed me with Can in this game more than others is his ability to not only win the ball but he was starting to spring counter attacks quite a lot. Whether that's with a good quick pass forward (his ball forward set Phil away for our goal) or just making well timed runs forward. Before he would get forward a bit too much or just choose the wrong moments. Now it seems he's far more selective when he makes a run forward, often going when there's already plenty of cover behind already.

It's going to be a very interesting time for both Lovren and Sakho from now until the end of the season with Matip arriving in the summer. Both know they'll need a strong finish to the season and if they keep the level of performance we saw in both these legs, there will be no reason for them to lose their place.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 07:22:04 am »
The best team drew.

Milner was superb, for me Lovren edged the mom award and all in all - pretty tucking easy really and I don't know why some of you lot were flapping............
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 08:15:43 am »
Watching that game, I was a bundle of nerves and they played a trick on me. Every time they entered our penalty area and had a shot, it felt like a high quality scoring chance. Watching it back, I think they hardly mustered a couple. Only Rojo's springs to mind, but I know there is one I am forgetting. But that is it really. So as far as an away game in Europe goes, I am very pleased about our performance. In fact, I think we should have won this game by 2 goals. We had more quality chances. Henderson should've scored in the 1st half and Coutinho in the 2nd.

Ah yes, and oh no and ah yes....Coutinho. Such a frustrating player and what a....what an absolute beauty he is. The magic he is capable of. That goal had me gaping in disbelief. My mouth was gaping I mean, not any other bodily orifice. TMI?

That said, I think we almost tripped ourselves over in the first half, in the sense that we created the penalty for them, with some very sloppy passes from Coutinho and I think Firmino outside the box. Then Clyne had a Moreno moment and needlessly tripped him. Lovren was covering inside, so Martial was going nowhere. Clyne really had a stinker of a game, with some Moreno- esque challenges, but in his defence, he's allowed one and tbf I don't think he had much help from Lallana for large parts of the first half.

Bring on yer Dortmunds.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 08:31:24 am »
Overall it was good performance and all the nerves (and there was a fair bit of them) were killed off after the Coutinho goal. United got a lot of Joy down Clyne's side and in truth if they had a decent striker that might have made it more difficult for us as they did have chances. Their finishing was far worse than ours as we actually forced some saves from de gea.

At the end we should have won and that is my only disappointment. We had quite a few opportunities where we countered them in the last 20 minutes and by that point you could see some united players were not even bothering to track back. However our shooting was off or we didn't pick out the right person and just gave easy saves to de gea. Moving forward against better teams in the competition we need to be far more clinical when given opportunities to counter and finish games off or nick a goal. Its pretty much essential playing away in Europe and the top teams normally take their chances, so we definitely need to improve there.

Overall though we knocked them out and there is no better feeling than that.
alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2016, 09:04:46 am »
Due to laziness, I never post on RTs. But then today I was all jazzed up and seeing the scoreline, the individual legs as well as the aggregate. I also didnt want to wake up on a lazy saturday morning, browsing RAWK and sign out without saying something about the games that, over 2 legs, saw us annihilate United.

First leg was a classic of recent times. We were clearly the better team and should have won by more goals than the scoreboard, and any person who disagrees to that, probably needs to get an appointment with a nearby psychiatrist.  Job well done. But talking about the second leg is something that I want to do and put forward my views and opinions on it.

The game started well. I was able to get back home at around the 10 minutes mark. And Liverpool werent exactly stitching a string of passes together. The sort of passes that makes you think that the team was comfortable on the ball. We gave possession cheaply. There was one moment around the 14th minute mark I think. Sakho recieved the ball from Mignolet, passes to Can who turns it to Coutinho. And then Firmino I think it was to receive the ball. Or maybe Sturridge. I am not sure. Coutinho taps the ball from close to the half line left wing position. And Carrick runs forward and intercepts it. These sort of passes. The ones that make you scream at the telly knowing how a 2-0 home advantage would be halved if United managed to score. And it was exactly that happened.

The penalty was as clear as a rock in still water. No doubt. Check out attachment 1.Jpg. The build up was what that pissed me off. I think it was Moreno who taps the ball forward to Coutinho who passes it to the CM area for Henderson to run into. Or Firmino to pass to. He should have been a bit more faster to receive the ball. Carrick I think, intercepts it, passes it on wide to Martial. He was given too much space. And viola, he runs forward, Clyne does his best. And yet a penalty. A clear one. Check out 2.jpg. Lovren should have stayed with his man. Clyne should have stayed a bit more wide. And should have intercepted the pass. Mistakes happen. Its alright.

Coutinho's magic. What can i say. Nothing more to add than what you guys have said. Nothing more to add than what Klopp has told in the post-con. And I think it was a long overdue goal and it has been written up there that something like this should happen. Absolute skinning of Varela right upto the bones. 1-1. Game set. Over. United would have needed to score 4 goals to go through. Not going to happen.

One thing that has to be said is the defence. Klopp has managed to arrest the decline of our defence. I would have shat bricks everytime the opponents get the ball and began a counter or building up play on the wings. It was a never ending issue with our defence. It was not like the lads werent capable of. The tactics that were employed earlier didnt play to their strengths and I can completely understand why Lovren was dubbed the worst defender signed and Sakho was linked elsewhere. I would still say, we are still a long way off from being called defensively reliable. We are still weak at set pieces - offensively and defensively. But kudos to Klopp and his team for arresting a decline what was once dubbed as the only reason why we lost the title by a whisker. Lovren and Sakho need to play together regularly to understand the dynamics of each other in game and play to their and each other's strengths. The arrival of Matip will only provide a challenge to these fellas. Long may it continue.

Fans. Respect. No other words. Especially those 7 lads. But that said, it was an unnecessary distraction singing the Munich chant. It was absolutely uncalled for. The United fans who sang about the S*n need to look at long hard look at themselves and think if what they did was right. But that doesnt justify our set of fans singing about Munich.  It was a tragedy and we helped United in 1958 by sending 4-5 players. Football should be beyond mocking others at their misery. Sure pull a leg about the league position or getting knocked out by a smaller team. But a disaster where fans like you and me were killed, is no mocking matter. And certainly not a chant to be sung out loud in football games. I hope this stops.

Overall a good game marred by small unnecessary off-incidents. A classic in recent times. We needed to tonk them by a score line and it was long overdue. And the fact that it was in Europe, makes it sweeter.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2016, 09:09:40 am »
Well I was never really worried ...

It was evident from the start that we would score.  They didn't look compact at the back, and the movement and creativity of our front four pulled them all over the place.

United of course played better, but they huffed and puffed, and looked disjointed and disorganised.  It goes to show that effort isn't everything in football.

But a moment to discuss the goal for us.  It was poor defending, he backed off into the area, and left himself with little opportunity to tackle Courinho.

From there it was sublime.  DeGea has been criticised for leaving space at the near post.  But, watching it back, Coutinho has fooled him.  Not only are his eyes looking across goal, his entire head is turned that way.  He's scored the goal 'blind' it's just intuition and its brilliant.  Criticism of DeGea has to be tempered by the brilliance of the deception.  Deception at such pace and with such verve.

So the genius was not just in the little chip finish, but in the way he tricked DeGea.

Marvelous.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2016, 09:18:07 am »
Thanks chacha.

I wish I were more eloquent but ...
Moreno initially at fault for their early chance?

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2016, 10:05:04 am »
Thanks chacha.

Moreno initially at fault for their early chance?

Mistake by Moreno leading to a slip by Lucas I think. Skrtel tried to cover but couldn't, which led to Reina needing to make an early save. Luckily Torres equalised just before half time.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2016, 10:10:03 am »
Xabi Alonso spraying 40yard passes at old trafford...

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2016, 10:45:26 am »
During the period of like a two months ago when we were in a situation where all our strikers were injured and the one that was healthy didn`t really fit in with how we want to play and we had like 6 CMs in the team playing as wingers and strikers I found it fascinating that so many people were slagging off the squad and talking about major overhauls and all that when it was clear the squad needed the likes of Coutinho, Sturridge and Origi to come back so we can have a better idea of where we`re at and what do you know we are a much better team now.

I`m so relieved we`re through because I can`t enjoy games against Utd anymore, I practically watch them through my fingers as it hurts so much when we lose to them. I`m so thankful to all of the squad and staff that we prevailed as it would have been horrible to get knocked out by them of all teams.

Ever since these 3 aforementioned players returned Klopp decided to commit to 442-ish kind of formation and what I noticed is that in home games vs City and Utd it worked the treat but the last 4 games away from Anfield I felt we were getting results in spite of that shape rather than because of it. I felt that Can and Henderson desperately needed help in the shape of a 3rd CM because in these 4 games I thought there was a disconnect between Sturridge and Firmino as two up top and our central midfield. For this system to work we need to pair Can up with elite passer who has the wide range of passes and is able to push the ball downfield to our two strikers while opposition defence is not yet set.

Having watched this team a lot my impression is that at OT we haven`t played to our full capacity and I would really love for Klopp to try to make a slight adjustment for these away games just so we can see if we can get Firmino and Sturridge more involved and in better position to be a threat.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2016, 10:57:30 am »
Milner initially at fault for their early chance?

Not really. Atleast the way I see it. Milner and Coutinho did what they best could. If I look at the replay again, there are a couple of United players closing down Milner and Varela closing down Coutinho. And added to this, Coutinho received the ball from Milner having his back facing our goal. So the maximum he could have done is given it back to Milner but it was not to be the case. He instead knocks it to the center area hoping some Liverpool player finds the ball. And thats what anyone would have done.

If you look at the 1.jpg, Carrick is much behind Firmino and our CM (Henderson or Can) is close to the ball. And yet questions arise as to how 2 Liverpool players (Firmino and Henderson/Can) who are closer than ever to the ball than Carrick, blew the chance to continue with the possession. Carrick overtakes Firmino, and drives in a pass to Martial. This was mistake #1. Clyne, in picture#2 is hidden behind Fellaini and Lovren. The line indicates where Clyne is currently positioned. I dont understand why Clyne is taking this position. Dealing with Fellaini, during this buildup, was Lovren's part. And clearly, Martial was left free. If it were me, I would have preferred Clyne to position himself about 3-4 meters towards martial. This would have given Clyne the option to intercept the pass should it have happened. And Martial, wouldnt have been given so much space.  So, the way I see it, it was Firmino, the CM in front of the ball and Clyne's fault for the buildup to the penalty.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 01:37:03 pm by ChaChaMooMoo »

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2016, 10:59:39 am »
Mate, Moreno didn't play, he was injured.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2016, 11:05:05 am »
Are you lot whooshing us all? Moreno was injured and didn't play, Milner was LB
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2016, 11:09:11 am »
Cha Cha. If you edit Milner for Moreno it will be fine.
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2016, 11:19:10 am »
I never got too worried. They had a lot of chances, but so did we and a goal for us felt pretty inevitable. Their defense was poor, and I don't know how many chances Smalling gave us. Sturridge managed to outmuscle their CBs quite a few times, and that's also not a common sight. Our defense forced ManU to create something using quality and tempo, which is lot harder of course.

It's also pretty obvious that our midfield is the key weakness, and I fear that Dortmund will make this even more obvious. ManU could glide past our midfield, centrally and on the flanks. It's a sign of weakness that Klopp feels that an unfit Henderson is the best option. We won this game by being better in the boxes.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2016, 11:38:08 am »
We won it at Anfield of course. There was no way a Klopp team wouldn't score at Old Trafford when a Van Gaal team needed to take risks. Still it was hugely satisfying to see the way Liverpool lorded it in the second half. As the game opened up and space got bigger it was inevitable that our players, who are much better than theirs, would begin to show their credentials. It must have made painful watching for the home fans which is why they either left the stadium 20 minutes into the second half or started with the Hillsborough song around the 60th minute mark. UEFA evidently thinks the latter is ok, just as it thought Fellaini's deliberate stamp and elbow combination on Emre Can in the first leg was ok.

I agree with Chopper that Man of the Match was either Lovren or Milner. Sakho was superb in the second half and delivered a sequence of exquisite passes to his midfield in the last 20 minutes, but Lovren was the more composed in the first half and I thought he held the defence together - especially after Clyne, normally so reliable, had a wobble or two. As for Milner, it was canny defending and a reminder of why the club snapped him up in the first place. He knows things.

The other stand-out performance was Can who is emerging as Liverpool's leader. Quick feet, quick over the ground, strong, brave, completely aware of what's happening around him and a sweet passer with all parts of his boot. It was no wonder that that German reporter plagued Klopp with a series of questions about Can (ineptly disguised as a single question) after the first leg. He is emerging as Liverpool's key player, and may do so soon for Germany as well. A lot of older supporters are seeing parallels with Graeme Souness. Perhaps that's a premature call but you can see what they mean. It's his attitude as much as anything else. There's something indomitable about him. There's also a beautiful balance about him when in possession of the ball - very Souness-like.

A word too on Lallana who covered every blade of grass and whose balance - if possible- is even better than Can's. The pirouettes, the Cruyff turns, the back heels all have a purpose when Lallana does them. They are about creating space and time for himself, or a colleague. They about the most damaging element on a football field in the final third - that of surprise. And right now they are almost always coming off. After the first leg, when Paul Scholes was put on suicide watch, the former Man U player vented his frustrations on the excellent Lallana who had just tormented United's defence with an array of brilliant flicks, turns and roll-overs. "Someone should do him", Scholes told the TV audience, "Someone should kick him." Certainly that's what Paul Scholes would have done. I'm sure the United players tried. But what can you do when you're chasing quicksilver like that?

The return leg ought to have been finished off before Coutinho did his Coutinho impression in the 45th minute. Once again De Gea made an unbelievable save - the save of the tie - to stop Coutinho's perfectly struck shot. And then Henderson did what Henderson often does with a clear sight on goal. He leant back, collapsed his left knee, went for a side foot and blazed the ball high and wide. We were better when Joe Allen came on.

The other disappointment on the night was Sturridge. He's a fabulous player and a precious one for Liverpool. But he looked diminished (again) alongside Coutinho, Lallana and Firmino. Unlike Lallana's, Sturridge's flicks and tricks often seem nothing more than showboating - a fancy way of working yourself into a dead end.  "I like your step-overs Phil, now watch mine". We saw it in the second half after Coutinho did a 'Jinky Johnstone' through the Man U midfield as a prelude to releasing Sturridge who followed with a B-feature step-over before slicing a hopeless effort into the Scoreboard end. That was not the time to stop the ball and do a step-over lad. That was the time to either keep the ball moving with a sharp return pass or smack it first time with your favourite left foot. In the first half Sturridge had also declined to chase Can's gorgeous ball beyond Verala into the left wing channel, preferring to pull up abruptly, turn round and whinge to Can that the ball hadn't gone to feet. It looked doubly disgraceful when Can produced an identical ball to release Coutinho in the 45the minute. Coutinho chased after it.

He was hooked after 65 minutes and sloped off the pitch with a face that screamed "Injustice!" He needs to get his act together. The lad who came on for him showed how it's done. And he's getting better with every outing.

But let's not end on that sour note. We are through; they are out. Anfield is super-sonic and full of pageantry and passion; Old Trafford is a brooding mass of grey and bittereness. We have Klopp; they never will.

On to Dortmund, a real football club, like our own.   
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 11:40:50 am by Yorkykopite »
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2016, 11:44:11 am »
Great post Yorky, agree with everything you wrote.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2016, 12:00:31 pm »
Hm. I thought Sturridge did well in first half, when it was still a match, quite isolated on top.
Lallana and Henderson meanwhile, seemed mostly to enjoy their tickets for the Martial vs Clyne show.
Second half was not a real match.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2016, 01:35:48 pm »
Mate, Moreno didn't play, he was injured.
Are you lot whooshing us all? Moreno was injured and didn't play, Milner was LB
Cha Cha. If you edit Milner for Moreno it will be fine.

Ah of course. I was thinking Flannagan isnt registered in the Europa Squad and hence Moreno should have played.

Apologies for the mistake.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2016, 02:04:40 pm »
We were absolute fucking boss. A proper European performance and we schooled those turdcunts. Yeah, that's a new word, but I'm a bit drunk so fuck it. We missed Moreno's forward impetus, but on the whole, our lads harried and chased, and created chances throughout the game. Coutinho was sublime. I didn't think Coutinho had scored. His goal was one of the best I've seen for a while, because of the keeper it was against and the manner in which it was put in the goal. Magnificent. We were really good throughout the pitch.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2016, 02:58:16 pm »
Thought we were ok at the back but still plenty of dodgy moments in the beginning of the game, Lovrens up in the air clearance that mata should have buried, Can letting Fellaini go and get the ball back to rojo, Mignolet coming and then stopping, Clyne had a poor game but the whole defence tightened up in the 2nd half - however, chances like that will simply be put away by Dortmunds attack

Coutinho for me was MOM - wasnt to be seen then started getting on the ball, trying to make things happen, thought he was aboslutely brilliant, really took the game to them - they didnt have anyone of that class in the their team

We look so much better in attack these days, if Sturridge can get back to his best then we are a force to be reckoned with!

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2016, 03:34:25 pm »
Time sure flies as did not even have a chance to post since the game but just wanted to say well done lads as for a second you put  our asses on the seat's edge as it looked like Utd may sneak a second and next thing Coutinho clinches the tie with a wonder goal. Brillant as the sense of relief when he scored was absolutely brilliant as from there on Utd lost all the wind in their sails. Fair deuce to Sakho as he had his best game in the Liverpool shirt as time after time he put his body on the line...heart on your sleeve display, more of that please Sir. On to bigger and better teams as Dortmund will be some test as they clobbered Spurs so will be really interesting to see where our team stands compared to what Klopp moulded in Germany.

Coutinho....you beauty!!!!
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2016, 07:05:00 pm »
Firstly, that goal. I will come back to Coutinho in more depth later ... but that goal was born straight out of his futsal days in Brazil. I watch a lot of futsal here and you see those moments often with their smaller goals. A good keeper can leave you nothing to aim for. So you need that little bit of deception and an outrageous amount of technique to take advantage of the gap you make with it.

^Coutinho in 2000 owning a bunch of kids, faking the keeper towards the far corner and scoring near post.

Also I haven´t celebrated a goal like that since Suarez was here. I just laughed. Actually I sat there for a few seconds as I didn´t think he had scored. It was too ridiculous. This is the best keeper in the world being done at his near post with a point-blank chip. And the celebration was just as nonchalant as the goal itself. Is he running to take a corner with so little time left? Did De Gea touch it round the post?

So you wait for Coutinho´s usual scream to the heavens to signify a goal. For him to be mobbed. I loved that he jogged right past their fans and looked them all right in the eye holes. I just fucked you out of this competition. With a goal your side is incapable of right now. Shout your abuse now. You have nothing on us.

Now for the bad. There was actually a lot of it. I think all of our attacking players had poor games. It used to be our attackers winning games by outscoring the goals our defence would hand to opponents but tonight it was our defence winning the tie for us. Our best 5 players were (in no particular order) Mignolet, Lovren, Sakho, Milner and Can. And THAT is a relection of how bad this united side is right now. Sturridge, Lallana, Firmino, Coutinho, Henderson all had performances WAY below what I expect of them. But even at their worst, they work their bollocks off so it didn´t hurt us too much. But that United side was setup for a massacre. I have no doubts that had 3 or 4 of that group been on their games we would have humiliated like we haven´t seen at Old Trafford since Torres left Vidic looking like a kid using ice skates for the first time... before reminding Old Trafford how many European Cups we have. Clyne had an absolute mare too. The fact United didn´t take advantage of that aside from the penalty is amusing too. A Giggs, Ronaldo or Kanchelskis in their pomp would have put him to the swords. Those days are but a distant memory now for United though.

And so back to Coutinho who was having, by some distance, his worst performance for us in as long as I can remember. He created 3 of Uniteds best opportunities, including their penalty with bad passes into the middle of the pitch. But I love that he kept trying things.

United, in contrast, are afraid to try things. Every bad pass is met with derision from the stands. Gasps, sighs, moans and sometimes abuse. Fuck that - next time I will just give a simple ball to Carrick. So their possession never goes anywhere this season. It´s just an endless game of pass the buck. As long as you aren´t giving the ball away - you don´t need to be afraid. We´ve seen that before with some of our sides. Not anymore. This side has bravery in spades.

You are effectively 3-0 down at halftime against your most hated enemy. Be brave. Change something. Go at them. An early goal and this tie is still alive. But the bravery has long left Van Gaal too. A series of defensive substitutions which seem designed to make sure that United at least don´t lose this leg gave the message loud and clear to his players. We´re done.

And that is the main difference between us and them these days. We are fight pigs. They are just pigs!

My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline Alf Garnett!

• widely excepted yet secretly cryptic - cower ye before the mighty crusher of yellow walls. Video Embedder Extraordinaire
  • Legacy Fan
  • *Davo*It don't get better than this.
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2016, 07:29:37 pm »
An excellent summary Yorky,i will pick the bones a tad tho!

Lovren has improved tenfold under Klopp & is now putting in regular top notch games which go unnoticed to many,great game indeed.

However..Emre Can is a completely different player to what he was under Rodgers,i thought he was way ahead of others to gain man of the match at OT,fucking immense-the comparisons with Souness are a bit early but he defo has the promise to reach his levels.

Lallana was very good,I didn't rate Milners game as high as some have but he played like the pro he is,very clever & you always get 100% from the lad.

Regarding Sturridge,he wont like me for saying this but he is still way off fitness levels required-it shows.

One of the things that i aint seen mentioned much is how astute Klopp was with his team selection,tactics,subs & the timing of them with the latter really important in both games.

It was joyous to visit some of their forums & read their views & heartache too!
One of the best i read was "Liverpool are getting all gushy but even in the first game I didn't think they were all that, they were just better than us which isn't the badge of honour it should be anymore. Quality wise they're every bit as average as we are
I genuinely wouldn't take any of their players
(I would their manager tho)"
I think most of our team would walk into theirs whilst probably only De Gea would walk into ours.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2016, 07:49:26 pm »
Regarding Sturridge,he wont like me for saying this but he is still way off fitness levels required-it shows.
I strongly disagree with this because Sturridge was never a particularly hard worker and nobody cared about it as his goal scoring record is ridiculous but when he doesn`t score in few games and doesn`t get involved much it shows.

It was only recently that Klopp had all of Coutinho, Firmino, Sturridge and Origi available and he has to experiment to find the right tactical frame within which these players can perform consistently. So far it works in some games and not so much in other. In games where it doesn`t work it`s more about the lack of service than the lack of fitness of Daniel`s part for me.

Like BabuYagu said our attacking players had poor game at Utd but that`s been the case for the 3 previous games away from Anfield as well. It`s gonna take a wee bit of time I imagine for Klopp to find the winning combination which will work consistently every single game performance wise and when we do I think we won`t have these kind of games where Firmino and Sturridge don`t really look busy.

Offline mulfella

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hedgehogs are boss
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2016, 07:57:26 pm »
An excellent summary Yorky,i will pick the bones a tad tho!

Lovren has improved tenfold under Klopp & is now putting in regular top notch games which go unnoticed to many,great game indeed.

However..Emre Can is a completely different player to what he was under Rodgers,i thought he was way ahead of others to gain man of the match at OT,fucking immense-the comparisons with Souness are a bit early but he defo has the promise to reach his levels.

Lallana was very good,I didn't rate Milners game as high as some have but he played like the pro he is,very clever & you always get 100% from the lad.

One of the things that i aint seen mentioned much is how astute Klopp was with his team selection,tactics,subs & the timing of them with the latter really important in both games.

It was joyous to visit some of their forums & read their views & heartache too!
One of the best i read was "Liverpool are getting all gushy but even in the first game I didn't think they were all that, they were just better than us which isn't the badge of honour it should be anymore. Quality wise they're every bit as average as we are
I genuinely wouldn't take any of their players
(I would their manager tho)"
I think most of our team would walk into theirs whilst probably only De Gea would walk into ours.

Martial is terrifying. Ask Clyne, he's still looking for him.

He'd find a place, not sure exactly where, but he would.
A place full of grammer Nazi's?
'Grammar' and no apostrophe in 'nazis'.

Offline Alf Garnett!

• widely excepted yet secretly cryptic - cower ye before the mighty crusher of yellow walls. Video Embedder Extraordinaire
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2016, 08:01:49 pm »
I strongly disagree with this because Sturridge was never a particularly hard worker and nobody cared about it as his goal scoring record is ridiculous but when he doesn`t score in few games and doesn`t get involved much it shows.

Nothing to do with his goal prowess,Origi is getting really rave reviews without being prolific..

Yorky hit the nail on the head,if you say his fitness is ok then you are pretty much saying his commitment is awry.

Sturridge is class no doubt,is there any reason why he shouldn't put a shift in like Origi?

He ain't lazy,but there is a strong case for putting in a better shift than he does.

Martial is terrifying. Ask Clyne, he's still looking for him.

He'd find a place, not sure exactly where, but he would.

Aye he is young & has a good future ahead of him no doubt-right now he wouldn't start ahead of any of ours in my opinion.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 08:04:24 pm by DAVO1 »

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2016, 08:12:35 pm »
I agree that sturridge is well below his best, but I did clock him chasing back to right back to win the ball at one point, he just doesn't do it quite consistently at all - but we'd all be the first to moan if we counter and he's behind the play at fullback. He's probably only a 6/10 at the moment in general, should have shot quicker a few times.

Can, Lovren, Sakho, all very good.

Agree with Yorky that Milner just has something that we need
As for Milner, it was canny defending and a reminder of why the club snapped him up in the first place. He knows things.   

Experience is somethng he has bags of, much as he can be mocked for being boring, or just a try hard, he makes the right decisions in most cases (yes he wobbled a couple of times in a not-too-familiar position) and that is an invaluable skill to have - we've all seen players with bagfuls of talent who just can't make the right choices to save their live,s passing when they should shoot, picking the wrong pass...Milner doesn't do that.

Loved it, was nervous before Magic Phil did his thing, turning a 1-0 worry into a 1-1 certainty.

Oh, and their crowd are a shower of shit, just like their team. They're done, they're not getting out of this hole even with Mourinho. It'll be years if at all before they get back to where they were.

get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2016, 08:16:42 pm »
Nothing to do with his goal prowess,Origi is getting really rave reviews without being prolific..
Yorky hit the nail on the head,if you say his fitness is ok then you are pretty much saying his commitment is awry.
Sturridge is class no doubt,is there any reason why he shouldn't put a shift in like Origi?
He ain't lazy,but there is a strong case for putting in a better shift than he does.
Origi is great as an impact sub running at tired defenders but when he started at Palace there were same issues Sturridge and Firmino had in the last couple of away games where we struggled to connect our midfield with our strikers. That`s the root of the problem for me not anybody`s fitness.

Offline Alf Garnett!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2016, 08:21:37 pm »
Origi is great as an impact sub running at tired defenders but when he started at Palace there were same issues Sturridge and Firmino had in the last couple of away games where we struggled to connect our midfield with our strikers. That`s the root of the problem for me not anybody`s fitness.

The way i see it & i don't expect everyone to agree is that Sturridge is showing levels at around 60 mins that i'd expect from someone at 80-85 mins.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree about it.

Offline jepovic

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2016, 09:19:09 pm »
Yeah, when Origi came on it was not a proper game anymore. Not Origi's fault, but it was much harder for Sturridge who had to deal mainly with long balls from the back, with little support from midfield. Not a fair comparison at all.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2016, 11:55:44 pm »
You somehow knew they'd score first didn't you? I had that one playing round my head the most anyway. I knew we'd score... well, I thought we'd score. We'd score... yeah...more than likely. It was all about when. 'When' was a good time.

Didn't look like it for a bit tho! Fuck me. Thought they were all over us, in a 'not being that all over us' type way.

Hated going into this game wishing we had 3. 2 was bloody superb of course, but 3 would have really lessened it. Definite pen, not sure why Michael Owen was pretending to be on the good side with his bleatings of a dive... it was a pen Mike. Touching tho.

You'd like Rashford if you were Unted. Fuck me tho... put them out of their misery for fucks sake. We had our moments, but no... we'll wait till 45 then. Gave the eyes aswell. Didn't notice that till I watched the hightlights the next day. For a moment I didn't understand how it got in the net. Think Schmeichal would have nodded that away. Good leave David.

And then it was over. Lovely. They're not getting four. Are they fuck.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2016, 12:12:27 am »
and on Daniel Sturridge... sense a bit of critisicm recently. He's been out for nigh on 2 years. Faced a barrage of crap - internally, and externally. He's bound to be at 80%. But he's a quality striker. Got to allow this end of season to do what it has to do with him. 60 minutes... bit of good stuff, bit of duff, but long term... this is good. It's got to be this way with him. Start him alot... keep him going. Occassionally, start with Origi... but keep Sturridge going... going to take a long while to remain faithful to his limbs. Just allow him to ooze the concern out of his head slowly but surely.

Offline McrRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2016, 08:02:26 am »
and on Daniel Sturridge... sense a bit of critisicm recently. He's been out for nigh on 2 years. Faced a barrage of crap - internally, and externally. He's bound to be at 80%. But he's a quality striker. Got to allow this end of season to do what it has to do with him. 60 minutes... bit of good stuff, bit of duff, but long term... this is good. It's got to be this way with him. Start him alot... keep him going. Occassionally, start with Origi... but keep Sturridge going... going to take a long while to remain faithful to his limbs. Just allow him to ooze the concern out of his head slowly but surely.
Spot on Filler.
He's an exceptional talent and clearly out of sorts because he's a 0.5 goals a game striker and his "drought" has lasted ages. For him. For anyone else we wouldn't bat an eyelid  but expectations are high with young Daniel because he's so bloody good.

It's rather unnerving, perhaps a feature of the t'internet age, that the fan base seems to need a scapegoat or fall guy or at least someone to pin the angst on. As they regain form,  or are coached into solidity, we then as a fan base switch targets and find someone new to be upset with or moan about. If you look at our exceptionally bad autumn/winter the blame would swing between players and elements - keeper, fullbacks, CBs, wingers, front three (we were sensible enough not to blame klopp as we knew he was rare world class and we were lucky to have him). Many on here wanted a wholesale clearout and were looking at the three players from the squad that they would keep!

As Klopp has coached the team into form, and managed them into Believing (TM), things have settled down and the shite player, get rid, has now become a good squad option. Even lovren has had shouts for MoTM ffs!

Sturridge is an interesting case because he is questioned, more than anyone, by some, on his  temperament and what might be going on in his head. What's interesting for me is to note the players that have been so disappointing this season and the one thing they seem to share is trying too hard. Sturridge is through the against united and in both games a pass to a team mate probably gets us a goal. Both times he shoots at the skinny wall that is de Gea and the chance is gone. Sure, I'd rather the goal but at least he's showing us that he wants to score and that he's backing himself. So saying, he does look like he's not sure why the magic isn't working so when he's pulled he looks as annoyed and frustrated at himself as the situation or the manager. Good. He cares. We want him to care.

And this is following a tie that we won!

Crouch famously got 19 games to play himself into form. Sturridge won't take that long.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2016, 08:27:41 pm »
If ever two games needed tying together it is todays and this leg/entire tie.

Most important lesson #1 in football: You don't win fuck all - if don't take your chances.

The manc game could of been oh so different, if we had been made to pay for so many guilty edge chances missed, just like today. Fortunately, we weren't, but it is massive amount of food for thought.

Today - we missed chances that let a team back into the game. Unlike Thursday, we were made to pay for those missed chances. This game(the mancs home and away) should be looked upon not as a thing of satisfaction - but as something to be sobered about, an alarm bell should ring and we should be made to realise what can go wrong - IF YOU DON'T TAKE YOUR FUCKIN CHANCES!

A phone is ringing in the background and someone needs to pick it up.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2016, 08:45:14 pm »
The manc game could of been oh so different, if we had been made to pay for so many guilty edge chances missed, just like today. Fortunately, we weren't, but it is massive amount of food for thought.

Guilty edged? Like it.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.