Author Topic: Liverpool vs Arsenal - 17:30, Saturday November 20  (Read 13916 times)

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
Re: Liverpool vs Arsenal - 17:30, Saturday November 20
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2021, 11:24:48 am »
I saw us beat Arsenal in 87/88, about the 5th game I ever went to and one that featured not one, but two superb goals. The Aldridge tap in, after McMahon had bust a gut to keep the ball in play, and then a classic Beardsley solo goal.

https://youtu.be/dDfPnkB7HrY

Thankfully didn’t go the following season but did go in 89/90 when we got an element of revenge and Barnes curled in a beauty of a free kick.

https://youtu.be/6TSFeyqgd5g

Saw a good win early ish in the Houllier era as well when Robbie smashed one in and did the baby celebration.

Might have to go searching for them on YouTube now!

Thanks for the vids/memories. What a joy it was back than to have just one single commentator with a bit of excitement in the voice, and not some morose double act spouting inane drivel.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Online rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2021, 11:30:21 am »
There on a nice run of form but we should be beating  them regardless.

Home 3-1 win

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2021, 12:47:40 pm »
You have to fear for Liverpool in this one, they're coming up against an Arsenal team that look unbeatable. Cant see the Liverpool attack getting anything out of the immovable object partnership of Gabriel and White. ESR and Saka look unstoppable at the moment , its a really bad time to face us and I feel youll all be gutted this weekend.

Liverpool 4 Arsenal 1

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2021, 12:54:09 pm »
^ that’s what west ham Paul said   :o  :P  ;D

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2021, 01:47:44 pm »
Thanks for the OP Telekon - that was an interesting read.

An international break always seems so much longer after a defeat, especially with the added worry of whether any of our players' legs will fall off on International duty. Hopefully we get enough back fit and firing to bounce back from the West Ham result. There's a feeling that we're 'almost there' this season - loads of goals and some big wins, but also some shaky moments in defence and midfield - not helped by injuries and some questionable refereeing. However, if someone had told me back in March that we'd be 4 points off top in mid-November with only 1 defeat, had won our CL group with 2 games to spare, had all our CB's fit, and a league cup quarter final to look forward to, I'd have bitten their hand off.

As for Arsenal, they're clearly in a mini-revival so hopefully we can take the wind out of their sails. I'm still not fully over that Michael Thomas goal in 1989, so every win over this lot takes me closer to a full recovery.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2021, 02:47:05 pm »

As for Arsenal, they're clearly in a mini-revival so hopefully we can take the wind out of their sails. I'm still not fully over that Michael Thomas goal in 1989, so every win over this lot takes me closer to a full recovery.

I haven’t got over Charlie George’s winner.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2021, 03:19:37 pm »
Robbie and Lee, quietly confident. Starts about 9 minutes in..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMFLfU64Y9Q
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Lfc19ynwa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2021, 03:28:58 pm »
anyone else remember the fa cup semi final 3rd replay at highfield road that we lost 1 - 0
1980 I think - absolute shite night

Remember it well , had a load of windows on our coach put in by some fuckin coventry bellends not Arsenal , was frozen stiff by the time we got back , no replacement coaches in them days
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 03:36:09 pm by Lfc19ynwa »

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2021, 05:45:36 pm »
Robbie and Lee, quietly confident. Starts about 9 minutes in..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMFLfU64Y9Q

I mean anything can happen in 90 minutes but it's just kind of mind boggling how you can look at Arsenal's season so far and think they have a good chance of getting something at Anfield.  11 games played, 13 goals scored and the same conceded.  Even taking away the ManC and Chelsea games they're still playing like a mid table side but got some early goals in games that maybe will mean the difference down the road between 7th and 8th or 10th to 12th in the standings.  They just aren't very good and 5th is flattering to say the least.

You can say this about almost every game we play these days in that if LFC plays to it's level then this is an easy 3 points.  That's clearly true here against Arsenal as well.

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2021, 06:05:19 pm »
Going to be the toughest Arsenal side we’ve faced in 4/5 years I think. Arteta has at the least made them physically competitive all over the pitch. Normally we just steamroller them.

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2021, 06:54:07 pm »
They have had a couple of good wins, but to be fair, we should still be beating them. The two top teams they have played have beat them comfortably (City, Chelsea). I don't want to take away from what they've done, because they are much better than before, but we are still on a different level to this lot. Anything less than a win would be disappointing.

That said, form and injuries are a thing so a draw wouldn't be that surprising. I still fancy us to have too much for them.

3-1 Reds. Salah to run riot.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2021, 07:07:50 pm »
I mean anything can happen in 90 minutes but it's just kind of mind boggling how you can look at Arsenal's season so far and think they have a good chance of getting something at Anfield.  11 games played, 13 goals scored and the same conceded.  Even taking away the ManC and Chelsea games they're still playing like a mid table side but got some early goals in games that maybe will mean the difference down the road between 7th and 8th or 10th to 12th in the standings.  They just aren't very good and 5th is flattering to say the least.

You can say this about almost every game we play these days in that if LFC plays to it's level then this is an easy 3 points.  That's clearly true here against Arsenal as well.

Well if you listened to it, they were pretty complimentary of LFC. They know Arsenal have to play well and Liverpool be off a bit. They're hoping our injuries gives us problems.

They are happy Bobby is out because he torments them and scores. They're hoping Mane is out.

But when it got down to it and they made their predictions, Lee had it 2-1 for Liverpool. Robbie said he was backing his team and said 2-2...lol. Lee called him out on backing the team with 2-2.. ;D
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Dazzer23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2021, 07:35:50 pm »
Reading the injury update from Klopp, if Hendo can make it we can have a strong starting 11 Saturday.

Bench, less so.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2021, 08:46:34 pm »
They have had a couple of good wins, but to be fair, we should still be beating them. The two top teams they have played have beat them comfortably (City, Chelsea). I don't want to take away from what they've done, because they are much better than before, but we are still on a different level to this lot. Anything less than a win would be disappointing.

That said, form and injuries are a thing so a draw wouldn't be that surprising. I still fancy us to have too much for them.

3-1 Reds. Salah to run riot.

not disagreeing, but I said basically the same thing before the West Ham match.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2021, 08:47:55 pm »
We will have a strong back four and front three even with Robbo (potentially) and Bobby out.

Midfield looks in bad shape as Naby, Milner, Elliott and Jones all out.

So midfield will be Thiago, Fab and Ox if Henderson isn’t fit.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline buttersstotch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2021, 11:11:18 pm »
Arsenal are in good form, but it's worth remebering who they have played too in their run so far. We're the first big test since the Chelsea/City games. They got incredibly lucky against Crystal Palace a few games back. Will be interesting to see how they set up, suspect Arteta will set them up to be solid as I can't see them even attempting to dominate the ball.

Offline Huytonian

• Kopite
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2021, 11:30:32 pm »
anyone else remember the fa cup semi final 3rd replay at highfield road that we lost 1 - 0
1980 I think - absolute shite

Walking out of the ground feeling REALLY pissed off as we should beaten them in all four games, past a hotdog seller in a caravan shouting "we fuckin done ye in the end didn't we ye scarce c*nts" sounding like Blakey from On The Buses. Within seconds he was surrounded, and watching the horror on his face while around fifty scousers rocked the caravan until it ended on its side was priceless. As the steam cleared all we could hear was painful screaming as he emerged covered in boiled onions. Funny, he didn't look quite as smug as he had done two minutes earlier.
We’re not English. We’re SCOUSE.

Offline Realgman

• Kopite
  • gerrup the yard
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2021, 09:39:52 am »
 ;D

brilliant

Walking out of the ground feeling REALLY pissed off as we should beaten them in all four games, past a hotdog seller in a caravan shouting "we fuckin done ye in the end didn't we ye scarce c*nts" sounding like Blakey from On The Buses. Within seconds he was surrounded, and watching the horror on his face while around fifty scousers rocked the caravan until it ended on its side was priceless. As the steam cleared all we could hear was painful screaming as he emerged covered in boiled onions. Funny, he didn't look quite as smug as he had done two minutes earlier.
I am not a dreamer. I am a football romantic-Jurgen Klopp

Online Kenny19

• Anny Roader
  • Dreaming our dreams and drifting within
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2021, 09:42:04 am »
Haha what a story. Imagine that happening nowadays

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2021, 10:15:06 am »
if they win, we drop below them to 5th so I'd call it a must win.

and we've had our quota of draws already.

I wouldnt be worried if we dropped below them as we will easily finish above them, we are much the better side.

I dont think its must win for the title either because that will only be clear by the end of the festive fixture period. We will know by then whether games are must win because if we are 7 or more points behind Chelsea or City then it will probably be title over or we will have to go on the sort of run that would mean we win all of the remaining games left in the season.

So not quite must win tomorrow but we need to go on a run of victories soon. Reckon we need around 7 wins from our next 10 league game run, which ends with the Chelsea game. The next two being home games does give us a great chance to start that run off well.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 10:23:23 am by a treeless whopper »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2021, 11:14:21 am »
Not quite sure why, but I've always found Arsenal a very, very boring club.

I must admit that they were good to watch and quite exciting under Wenger (Top man and manager) but before and after - mainly meh.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2021, 11:32:16 am »
Not quite sure why, but I've always found Arsenal a very, very boring club.

I must admit that they were good to watch and quite exciting under Wenger (Top man and manager) but before and after - mainly meh.
Don Howe left a long shadow.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2021, 01:03:36 pm »
Reading the injury update from Klopp, if Hendo can make it we can have a strong starting 11 Saturday.

Bench, less so.

I hate international football so much. I wish our captain would bin it and retire from it before the next world cup. Nobody should be going to it anyway given the backwards sh1thole gay people haters that they are.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2021, 01:12:17 pm »
I hate international football so much. I wish our captain would bin it and retire from it before the next world cup. Nobody should be going to it anyway given the backwards sh1thole gay people haters that they are.

Jurgen Klopp didn't hold back giving his opinion on the international calendar.

"I hate international breaks," he said.

"And it didn't help from an injury point of view. So, put it like this, if we would've played the week after, not again three days later, our players, for sure all the players who did not play, would've had two days off, with the national teams.

"They have trained through all this because coaches want to have their own targets and then they often think they have psychical work with the players.

"No. I don't like it."
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2021, 01:12:44 pm »
The audacity of these reporters never ceases to amaze me.

Asking Klopp what he said in his messages to Gerrard. I knew that he was going to tell them it's none of their business, so how can they not know that?

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2021, 01:27:58 pm »
Before I comment on the game I'd just like to say how much I enjoyed the Opening Post. That was great writing mate.

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2021, 01:37:23 pm »
You have to fear for Liverpool in this one, they're coming up against an Arsenal team that look unbeatable. Cant see the Liverpool attack getting anything out of the immovable object partnership of Gabriel and White. ESR and Saka look unstoppable at the moment , its a really bad time to face us and I feel youll all be gutted this weekend.

Liverpool 4 Arsenal 1

Hah, wouldn't I love it !!! Nice post though !!

Offline King Kenny 7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2021, 03:03:47 pm »

Thats the day I became a Liverpool fan.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2021, 03:09:37 pm »
Thanks for the OP telekon, enjoyed reading that.

We need to get back on track a bit really, with no more international interruptions until next year, now’s the time to build up a head of steam and put a run together. Although Arsenal have been getting better results lately if we play up to our ability for the whole 90 mins (and that seems to have been an issue recently), we should win this.
Keep up the free scoring, get tighter at the back like the first month of the season.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Scouser-Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Allez, Allez, Allez...
« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2021, 03:10:36 pm »
I think Michael Owen more than made up for that.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2021, 04:19:15 pm »
I think Michael Owen more than made up for that.

It was probably more his celebration than the goal (which was pretty good) and I thought we were heading for the end of a six year trophy drought as well with Shankly's remodelled team.

Six years, seemed like a lifetime then.

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2021, 08:27:49 am »
Jurgen Klopp didn't hold back giving his opinion on the international calendar.

"I hate international breaks," he said.

"And it didn't help from an injury point of view. So, put it like this, if we would've played the week after, not again three days later, our players, for sure all the players who did not play, would've had two days off, with the national teams.

"They have trained through all this because coaches want to have their own targets and then they often think they have psychical work with the players.

"No. I don't like it."

Jurgen was restraining himself. Obvious he thinks international coaches are morons who injure our players unnecessarily. He’ll be especially annoyed that Hendo only played because Rice binned it off and you can guarantee Rice will play 90 mins this weekend. I do think we should be more ruthless about letting any players go who have a knock or who are fatigued.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2021, 09:31:24 am »
Quick start is key here. Arsenal will grow in confidence if we don't get a few early goals. We need to nullify Smith Rowe and we should be OK. Midfield has to do a lot better than vs West Ham.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2021, 10:36:45 am »
Was early in the season but City and Chelsea proved what happens when these play the big boys. They're in good form but haven't beaten anyone of note and have been lucky to take points against a couple of teams. Can imagine it'll be Arsenal behind the ball for the best part of it but really you think they'd fancy getting at us with our underwhelming defensive record as of late. As untouchable says below though, a quick start will serve us well and hopefully we can take an early lead and build from there. Mane/Jota/Salah all seem to really fancy themselves against Arsenal usually and I hope that's the case today.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2021, 10:37:52 am »
Not sure a quick start is key.

Just play with control and patience.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #75 on: November 20, 2021, 10:56:33 am »
Hopefully the break has put a line under the fug and lethargy that we've shown since dismantling the Mancs.....intense run of games coming up - need to kick it off with a proper display .....
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2021, 10:58:14 am »
We need a win here after coming back down to earth against West Ham. If Arsenal win they'll pass us and the Mancs could be within two points of us if they win earlier. That would make for a not so good a start to the season really.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: November 20, 2021, 11:28:39 am »
Not sure a quick start is key.

Just play with control and patience.

I think a quick start, with some composure, and just a bit of urgency, coupled with some helter skelter, and then some tranquility and calm is the way to go.

Offline zamagiure

• tujenkins
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: November 20, 2021, 11:32:22 am »
I think a quick start, with some composure, and just a bit of urgency, coupled with some helter skelter, and then some tranquility and calm is the way to go.
Can I have a Goal with that please.
mines a pint

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: November 20, 2021, 02:03:33 pm »
They seem to come flying out from the first whistle at the moment. Would be good to get an early goal against them and force them to have to attack. Need to win this really, not even just in terms of the points but also to get some momentum going. They're very beatable BUT we need to be a lot better than we have been in some games, their defence has looked a bit better recently but their defenders haven't faced a Mane or Salah in full flow