Author Topic: Manchester United v The Reds: Match Preview 24/10/2021  (Read 38823 times)

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
Manchester United v The Reds: Match Preview 24/10/2021
« on: October 20, 2021, 12:49:19 am »
Manchester United v Liverpool FC at Old Trafford (not the cricket ground, the other one), Sunday 24 October, KO 4.30pm

Referee: Anthony Taylor (Manchester. Yes, Manchester).

This may well be Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s last game in charge of Manchester’s number two team. If it is we will miss him. He’s been a breath of fresh air for anyone wishing Manchester United an ill wind. We cheered stupidly when he was appointed, we marvelled at the pundits who grotesquely hyped up the former Molde and Cardiff City manager, we breathed a sigh of relief each time his side pulled off a victory after a sequence of bad results. And of course we have sniggered at the ineptitude of his team’s performances in the big matches - especially in European competition. Think of all that money he has spent in the transfer market. And ask yourself who, really, he has captured that would make the starting XI at Anfield, or even the bench? Not the old men Ronaldo and Cavani, not the big oil-tanker at the back, not the Dutch bloke who once graced Ajax and who now works part-time at Hallmarks in the Arndale Centre, not the right back who “can tackle” - we are told - but who prefers to spend half of the 90 minutes on his backside. And not Varane who, though decent enough, would only be fifth in line for a centre-back spot at Liverpool.

And then there’s Solskjaer’s coaching which also produces such mirth. Tactics and strategy? Neither seem to exist at Manchester United. How to press? When to press? How to react in the first five seconds after the ball is lost? These are questions which seem never to have floated into Ole’s mind. The greatest thing, possibly the only thing, he brings to his team is enthusiasm. That’s needed of course. Klopp brings his own special kind to Liverpool. But there’s a strong sense watching Solskjaer’s teams that there’s not much else going on. If Man United are on the rack Ole pounds the club crest on his track suit top, heaves his shoulders and pulls up his chest. “Play for the badge lads” he is saying. “Play for Sir Alex.” That might have got Paddy Crerand going in years gone by, it might even fire up the technically challenged Scott McTominay, but it means nothing to Pogba or Matic or Fred (Fred? Really?) I strongly suspect it means nothing to Ronaldo either. He’s there for the money and the pens. And he’s not even taking the pens.

So we should win right? I think so. So do you. Last season we despatched them handsomely at Old Trafford - and with a team that was raw at the back but beginning to acquire confidence and momentum. This season we arrive unbeaten. Indeed we haven’t lost a game since April 6th. Our pressing game is back after a season’s convalescence and goals are plentiful and emanating from all areas of the pitch. In Salah we have not just one of the greatest players in the world over the last 5 years, but the greatest there presently is. These are the games he lives for. Old Trafford will be treated to at least one Salah goal I would think. Hopefully it will be another one “made in Heaven.”

The right flank has been the king’s highway for the Reds this season of course. It’s a sure thing that Luke Shaw will think twice about marauding up the pitch with Salah on his side of the field, especially when Maguire is the backstop. It’s worth considering this too. The vibrations from Mo’s extraordinary goal against Manchester City are still being felt, and will be felt on Sunday too. Indeed the equally extraordinary goal against Watford last week was in large part a by-product of that City goal. Defenders were starting to convince themselves they could show Salah on to his right foot. The thunderbolt against Man City ended that speculation and undoubtedly persuaded two Watford defenders the following week to throw themselves at a right-footed strike which never came. Mo simply swivelled back and curled the ball in with his favoured left. Your turn next Maguire.   

Sunday’s opponents do have good players of course. Mason Greenwood is a seriously talented forward with a pure strike and the ability to carve out space in tight areas of the pitch. He’d do well in a Klopp team. Fernandes is a good player too, though he’s suffering a little bit this season from the new edict allowing referees to let the game flow. He’s also suffering from having to adjust his game to Ronaldo, who now moves as adroitly and as ambitiously as his famous statue on the island of Madeira. And between the pegs de Gea appears to have rediscovered his confidence and his form. But, once again, these are players left to their own devices and they are playing against much better players who are being coached. 

Over the years we have sometimes gone to Old Trafford and administered a lesson. The Boxing Day massacre of ‘78 is a favourite of mine because it was the first time I saw the Reds win there. The John Barnes match in 1990 was another. The 1-4 drubbing under Rafa and the equally imperious 0-3 returned by Brendan Rodgers’s cavaliers were like gourmet meals. Such games live in the memory for ever because (Everton aside) United are our biggest opponents. We are still savouring and digesting them now. Can we lengthen the list on Sunday?

Well, we come off a hard-fought win in Madrid. Manchester are about to play Atalanta and hopefully don't screw it up so badly that Ole is no longer at the wheel on Sunday. 

I never do predictions, which means 1-3 to us.   
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
Re: Manchester United v The Reds: Match Preview 24/10/2021
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2021, 12:55:15 am »
And you could have predicted who would be the Ref:

Referee: Anthony Taylor.
Assistants: Gary Beswick, Lee Betts.
Fourth official: Mike Dean.
VAR: Stuart Attwell.
Assistant VAR: Marc Perry.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Aurrera begiratzen ez duena, atzean dago.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 01:17:54 am »
Over the years, I’ve become apprehensive before games against United simply because of the predictable injustices we have usually suffered, even when the better team on the day.

Not any longer. Since Ali’s glorious assist for Mo’s clincher in early 2020, there’s a real sense the worm has finally turned. Now I’m almost salivating at the thought of the footballing lesson we should by rights hand out to this lot on current respective form. It’s mixed feelings though as if this happens, it will likely spell the end of the servile Solskjær.

Of course, yet again they have their 12th man in the middle to help even out the odds but that’s fair enough. It makes it more sporting I suppose, like a scratch golfer playing against a high handicap. The latter of course, perfectly describing a team comprising the likes of Maguire, Pogba, Lingard, Ronaldo etc.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2021, 01:21:29 am »

So Ref from Greater Manchester and the Fourth Offical from Wirral. why cant they just give Michael Oliver for some of these games

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 01:39:56 am »
I want us to smash them, but at the same time, I want Ole to stay...

0:1 will do.

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2021, 03:06:55 am »
With their tough fixtures coming up and Ole being under a bit of pressure again i can see him reverting back to his tried and tested backs against the wall counter attack football.  The annoying thing is it will probably work for them again.  Hopefully it's just well enough to keep his job and take points off other top teams but not us please.  Ta. 

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2021, 05:01:56 am »
Over the years, I’ve become apprehensive before games against United simply because of the predictable injustices we have usually suffered, even when the better team on the day.

Not any longer. Since Ali’s glorious assist for Mo’s clincher in early 2020, there’s a real sense the worm has finally turned. Now I’m almost salivating at the thought of the footballing lesson we should by rights hand out to this lot on current respective form. It’s mixed feelings though as if this happens, it will likely spell the end of the servile Solskjær.

Of course, yet again they have their 12th man in the middle to help even out the odds but that’s fair enough. It makes it more sporting I suppose, like a scratch golfer playing against a high handicap. The latter of course, perfectly describing a team comprising the likes of Maguire, Pogba, Lingard, Ronaldo etc.
Agree 100%. And I'm Salah-vating too. :)
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2021, 08:13:12 am »
Are you fucking joking they've picked Anthony Taylor for this game.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2021, 08:16:59 am »
Are you fucking joking they've picked Anthony Taylor for this game.

It's incredible isn't it.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2021, 08:18:10 am »
We need to defend a lot better as they are quick up top and will surely counter against us.

Play the team in front of us and not the occasion.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2021, 08:25:38 am »
Lovely this. I’m nervous but I can’t help feel their players want rid of him.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2021, 08:45:44 am »
Great OP as expected.  They'll do what they have against us in the past and sit deep with pace in wide areas to try and get behind our fullbacks.

Get on the ball early, dominate possession and a packed house who already want the manager out will start to get antsy.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2021, 09:12:04 am »
Lovely this. I’m nervous but I can’t help feel their players want rid of him.
Think tonight will prove a much clearer indicator of that if true. Atalanta will smell blood in the water.

As much as we deride Solskjær as a useful idiot, their work shy egotistical players don’t deserve anyone better. Pogba’s comments at the weekend were the worst example of snide hypocrisy I’ve heard in a while. He’s been a complete and utter failure not to mention a massive financial and psychological drain on the whole club the entire 5 years he’s been back there, whilst still dicking them around over his contract. Getting rid of Ole wont solve anything.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 09:13:40 am by rossipersempre »
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2021, 09:13:44 am »
It’s their cup final so despite us being immeasurably better, I’m expecting a very tough game.
Having said that teams no longer go to Old Trafford expecting to lose. I expect us to win 2-0.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2021, 09:23:49 am »
This is now the reverse of when Ferguson had United and used to come to anfield when we were shit… we’d raise our game and they’d play more conservatively and not up to their level

I hope we pick an attacking team and go at them as they won’t be interested in contesting midfield anyway … im sure we won’t but it would be nice to see us play at our level at OT under Klopp one time 

Offline palimpsest

• Kopite
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2021, 09:26:05 am »
Sméagol’s particular brand of counter-attacking football has produced results against teams who dominate possession, plus they’re at home so I’m not expecting a walk in the park. Hope we fucking get him sacked though and Mo bags a hat trick!
We had dreams and songs to sing...

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2021, 09:27:07 am »
Thiago is a massive miss here but they still don't have one player that gets in our team so hopefully we show why on the pitch. Think they'll go back to their "work rate" side, surely no way he picks, Pogba, Ronaldo and co v us. Maybe one of them (Ronaldo) but other than that it'll be yard dogs.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2021, 09:39:03 am »
Thanks Yorky, great stuff. It would be lovely to have an epic Old Trafford result to go with some of those you mention but a terrible 0-1 or 1-2 would of course also be great.

They'll go with Rashford in this I'd imagine, he will be a danger.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2021, 09:44:20 am »
All being well, Man UFC are going to get battered.

As much as I want Ole to stay, I'm frisky at the notion us battering these could spell the end for the Ole era

Green and gold - get back to Molde

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2021, 09:49:01 am »
Agree 100%. And I'm Salah-vating too. :)
Nice pun ;D

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2021, 09:51:36 am »
Nice one Yorky!

As said previously, I’m always nervous going to Old Trafford. Even in the times we’ve clearly been better it doesn’t always show on the pitch.

We’re scoring at will away from home though and there’s no reason to think they’re suddenly going to be the ones who shut down the chances we create. So we will get plenty of chances so just need to finish some of them and try not to get drawn into a crazy end to end kind of game which we have done on occasion this season.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2021, 09:56:15 am »
There's no denying our right hand side of defence has been the target of a fair bit of success this season and I'd expect to see that again. Need Fab in the middle and Hendo helping trent out. As for the other midfield slot, I thought Ox's cameo might have done him enough to deserve a place. And I wouldn't be offended by Tsimikas, Konate or Gomez coming in either.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline Father Ted

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2021, 10:09:24 am »
It’s always a tough game, regardless of league positions or form. We went there flying high having won every game so far in 2019 and still struggled to impose ourselves and had a rely on a late equaliser. The year before half their team was dragged off injured and we still couldn’t force a victory.

I think they’re shit obviously and by all logic we should be going there and winning comfortably but the intensity of the rivalry makes it trickier than it should be on paper. If we were to score early and the feeling around the ground turns from feral hatred of us to frustration with their own side it might become that rarest of things, a comparatively easy visit to Old Trafford.

Obviously, I hope our superiority tells and we stomp all over them.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 10:12:52 am by Father Ted »

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2021, 10:10:16 am »
Don’t like the later kick off either. Would rather play them early when they might be a bit less subdued.

Offline Dr Stu-Pid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2021, 10:11:56 am »
On paper if Utd set up correctly and put 8 men behind the ball and use the pace of Rashford, Sancho, and Greenwood on the break then they could have some success against us.  So the question is whether or not Solskjaer has the bottle to drop Pogba and Ronaldo to get the team that has the best chance of winning onto the pitch, or whether he continues to try and keep all of his big names happy.  If they play like they did against Wolves, Leicester, Villareal, etc then we are going to create a huge number of chances and only wastefulness in front of goal would stop us scoring 3+ goals.  Unfortunately I've seen too many games against Utd that should have been comfortable Liverpool wins turn into nervy affairs to have a huge amount of confidence going into the game, and it only takes one dodgy refereeing decision to turn the game against us.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2021, 10:12:27 am »

As others have mentioned ad nauseum on other threads this is a complete joke.

It is well believed that Anthony Taylor, born 6 miles from Old trafford, has a family who hold season tickets at Manchester United, however he has always insisted he doesn't support them, he promises he supports non-league Altrincham united instead. It's like they are actually laughing at everyone.

As we know the main reason an English ref does not officiate an England game, or Italian and Italian one, is that whether they decide to be bias or not their judgement will always be in question. So even though a shit decision coming our way on the weekend will most likely be down to the underskilled and pig headed nature of the low level of referring we have at the top of our game (just see Peter Walton last night for reference), his bias and judgement will be no doubt raised.

Why the fuck would you want to do that unless you either want controversy, are completely ignorant or actually want some level of bias in United favour. Any one of them is possible with Riley so who the fuck knows. PGMOL have led the level of referring in our league to desperate lows and unless they are questioned more they will only get worse.

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2021, 10:13:57 am »
I'm glad we have five days of rest before this. Expect Fabinho but not sure about Milner playing this many games consecutively, but after last night I'm not sure Keita will be favoured against such a strong counterattacking team. Maybe Jones will be back in the starting line up? Van Dijk's going to have to be at his best too, unless we want to give Gomez or Konate a start.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2021, 10:22:16 am »
Greenwood & Rashford on the counter and Ronaldo/Fernandes from set pieces are their biggest threat. Soft in the middle and brittle at the back.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2021, 10:28:04 am »

It is well believed that Anthony Taylor, born 6 miles from Old trafford, has a family who hold season tickets at Manchester United, however he has always insisted he doesn't support them, he promises he supports non-league Altrincham united instead. It's like they are actually laughing at everyone.

As we know the main reason an English ref does not officiate an England game, or Italian and Italian one, is that whether they decide to be bias or not their judgement will always be in question. So even though a shit decision coming our way on the weekend will most likely be down to the underskilled and pig headed nature of the low level of referring we have at the top of our game (just see Peter Walton last night for reference), his bias and judgement will be no doubt raised.

Why the fuck would you want to do that unless you either want controversy, are completely ignorant or actually want some level of bias in United favour. Any one of them is possible with Riley so who the fuck knows. PGMOL have led the level of referring in our league to desperate lows and unless they are questioned more they will only get worse.

It wouldn't happen in any other walk of life, because of the obvious potential implication of bias, but they really don't care what the perception is.

Stuart Attwell on VAR is a joke too, I am not even sure he knows the rules of the game.

Anyway - nice opening post!

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2021, 10:29:54 am »
Great OP. Feels strange to be looking forward to a visit to OT, but it feels like we're now getting all the luck back that deserted us last season - not always playing well, but finding ways to win. And scoring lots of goals - with their defence in the shape it's in right now, we should be good bets to keep up our run of scoring three away from home.

Sure, we can't underestimate the danger of their forwards, and they can always find a goal out of nothing (the only reason they're still in the top half of the table), but we really should be too good for them. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it ended 3-2 to us.

Getting rid of Ole wont solve anything.

Absolutely. Their problems run deep. Would Pogba really raise his game for a new manager when he has one eye on the exit door? Would Ronaldo suddenly lose 10 years off his age for a new manager? Would Bruno start winning dodgy penalties again for a new manager? And as for their defence, it is beyond redemption - no chance of fixing things there before the transfer window opens again.

So, I hope they get hammered tonight as well.

Unless they have Conte or someone of that calibre literally ready to start work tomorrow, it's going to be too late to make enough of a difference before the weekend anyway.

Offline free_at_last

• Legacy Fan
  • we all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2021, 10:31:53 am »

It's not just that he has been given the manc game - he actually referees us more than any other team. How can a referee who hails from the epicentre of scouse hate in Wythenshaw wangle it so that he referees us more than any other team?

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2021, 10:49:49 am »
Lovely to see their many failures as a team laid out like that. Everything suggests we should go there and give them an absolute drubbing to remember. But still I always hate playing these - and always get the niggly feeling that they´ll pull off some jammy shit to scratch a point (or worse) regardless of the gulf in quality.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2021, 10:59:04 am »
Jones will hopefully be fit
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2021, 11:23:34 am »
I’d rather Thiago for this game if he’s recovered.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2021, 11:44:37 am »
I’d rather Thiago for this game if he’s recovered.
I definitely prefer Jones.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2021, 11:44:41 am »
We really need to shore up in midfield and defense. There's absolutely no doubt that Solskjaer will look to defend and hit us on the counter with Rashford, Greenwood and Ronaldo. Our high line will allow them to float balls over the top for their attackers every single time and it's worked for them before.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2021, 11:47:23 am »
Yeah Jurgen was pretty clear post-match about not dealing with late runners and the disconnect in the middle. Atleti was the perfect preparation for this game in that respect eh? It'll be Fabinho, Henderson and a.n.other.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2021, 11:48:27 am »
Not a great record here but just do not lose.

We should win I mean...have the quality and are better all over the park but its one of them
Looking forward to it!
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Online Mahern

• Kopite
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2021, 11:48:28 am »

Curtis or Phil?

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2021, 11:51:48 am »
We really need to shore up in midfield and defense. There's absolutely no doubt that Solskjaer will look to defend and hit us on the counter with Rashford, Greenwood and Ronaldo. Our high line will allow them to float balls over the top for their attackers every single time and it's worked for them before.

Maybe we adjust our tactics to be more secure