Author Topic: Liverpool FC - stuff about the less well known men in the suits  (Read 27033 times)

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool FC - stuff about the less well known men in the suits
« Reply #80 on: July 31, 2020, 12:57:22 pm »
By literally no one.

I apologise. It was clearly not your ice cream a man in a suit took from you. I expect it was worse than that, your favourite toy maybe.

The suits they always take from everyone, everything is just a bottom line. Hence for me doesn't matter as long as they sign the checks for the team.
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81 on: July 31, 2020, 12:58:30 pm »
Klopp is the public face of the club. Part of that role is taking the shit when things go wrong, even if it's not your fault. One of the things that makes Klopp great is that he will never publicly call out his players for their fuck-ups or complain about the owners not doing right by him.

Anyway, we already have other threads about how fucking awesome Klopp is, the whole point of this thread is surely to give a bit of credit to those at board level and the great job they're doing behind the scenes running the business side of things. Which is fine by me. They're all part of the club's current success, all have their role to play.

I think we should be pretty grateful that our suits don't really have much of a public profile - that's not what they're there for. Michael Edwards has gained a bit of fame but he's clearly reluctant to embrace it. Compare and contrast with Woodward at Man United, who seems to enjoy the limelight far more than someone in his position should. See also the publicity-loving shower who own West Ham. Parry always seemed a bit too visible for my liking as well.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 01:00:20 pm by smutchin »

Offline Illmatic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: July 31, 2020, 12:59:03 pm »
For the 1st 6 months of 2020 we had over 750 million social media interactions, in 2nd place was Barcelona, United then Real Madrid, Flamengo were 5th.

He did a fantastic, he increased our worldwide exposure to masses using social media and used his know how to tap into attracting new fans worldwide, we are probably the best club in world sports right now in using social media.

With Hogan moving up to CEO, we have the ex United Commercial director in charge of commercial operations now.

In terms of actual number of followers we are still some way behind those clubs. 
Nas is like the Afrocentric Asian, half-man, half-amazin

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #83 on: July 31, 2020, 01:01:26 pm »
The suits they always take from everyone, everything is just a bottom line. Hence for me doesn't matter as long as they sign the checks for the team.

I get the feeling this is a saying you’ve heard but don’t really understand, because the club hasn’t been run to care about the bottom line (profit) beyond being an exceptionally well run club financially.

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #84 on: July 31, 2020, 01:03:01 pm »
Klopp will always give credit and take blame for the mistakes. But, I think even with the greatest achievement in 30 years at this club, he is still less appreciated than what he should be.
No other manager in world football can do what he has done with a transfer budget and sell to buy approach like he has done. The man is once in a generation. The only decision I give credit to the suits is for getting him in. But, then again, it is Liverpool the idea/the challenge which attracted him just as much.

Nobody would disagree that Klopp is a once in a generation-type manager, but you wouldn't give any credit at all to the "suits" for what they've done with the club as well? Expanded Anfield, shifted deadwood for far more money than they were worth, rinsed Barcelona for Coutinho and then went out and splurged on Van Dijk and Alisson?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #85 on: July 31, 2020, 01:03:35 pm »
In terms of actual number of followers we are still some way behind those clubs.

Engagement is where it’s at. Pointless having millions of followers if only 1% actually look and interactive at what you post.

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: July 31, 2020, 01:04:24 pm »

Engagement is a more valuable marketing metric though.

Followers aren't always "real" - they may include any number of bots - so follower numbers alone don't tell you anything useful.

Offline Carra-ton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: July 31, 2020, 01:08:42 pm »
I get the feeling this is a saying you’ve heard but don’t really understand, because the club hasn’t been run to care about the bottom line (profit) beyond being an exceptionally well run club financially.
Understanding is evidence based, and for me the evidence isn't strong enough for the good job you say the club has done. Anyway, as others have said this is a thread to praise the suits deserved or not. All share the success.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: July 31, 2020, 01:08:48 pm »

That’s not important if engagements are higher.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #89 on: July 31, 2020, 01:09:48 pm »
Klopp will always give credit and take blame for the mistakes. But, I think even with the greatest achievement in 30 years at this club, he is still less appreciated than what he should be.
No other manager in world football can do what he has done with a transfer budget and sell to buy approach like he has done. The man is once in a generation. The only decision I give credit to the suits is for getting him in. But, then again, it is Liverpool the idea/the challenge which attracted him just as much.

Klopp less appreciated by who?

Can you give some examples?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #90 on: July 31, 2020, 01:10:03 pm »
Understanding is evidence based, and for me the evidence isn't strong enough for the good job you say the club has done.

The evidence is literally right there in 10 years worth of accounts which show the financial intentions of the “suits”, how much more do you need?

Offline Carra-ton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: July 31, 2020, 01:12:27 pm »
The evidence is literally right there in 10 years worth of accounts which show the financial intentions of the “suits”, how much more do you need?
Fine, don't want to mess the good will at the moment. Praise the suits. Only time will show that only success they have is in Klopp's era when it comes to football.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 01:14:44 pm by Carra-ton »
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: July 31, 2020, 01:14:29 pm »
I'm waiting for Catshit's view on this before coming to a final conclusion.

Peter Moore or Little Miss Dynamite? Maybe we should be looking for a low level academic rather than a professional to run the club, thus regaining the Moral High Ground.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: July 31, 2020, 01:28:47 pm »
Nobody would disagree that Klopp is a once in a generation-type manager, but you wouldn't give any credit at all to the "suits" for what they've done with the club as well? Expanded Anfield, shifted deadwood for far more money than they were worth, rinsed Barcelona for Coutinho and then went out and splurged on Van Dijk and Alisson?

I might be mistaken here, but my memory is that Klopp single-handedly rebuilt the main stand, no?
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #94 on: July 31, 2020, 01:30:02 pm »
I might be mistaken here, but my memory is that Klopp single-handedly rebuilt the main stand, no?

He did. He used to go after training, kept his hard hat and steel toe caps in the car, got changed in the car park and then got to work until the early hours. German build quality too.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: July 31, 2020, 01:31:31 pm »

And then jogged up to Kirkby to extend the the training facilities and Academy.

Klopp's life would have been a lot easier if he'd had nice, generous owners and sponsorship deals like plucky little Manchester City who have worked so hard to build up the squad.

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: July 31, 2020, 01:38:09 pm »
We don’t make these signings with other “suits” here though. We have Parry riding his bike to Russia with Fowler on his shoulders. Or Parry going for the 5th down the list. Or we simply don’t have as much money. Or we don’t risk spending the wages required. Etc. Etc.

So Klopp is left having Aquilani (on the injury table) rather than Alonso on the pitch. Or Adam over Fabinho. Or Coates over VVD. I could go on.

Pennant over Alves is the one that really haunts me.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: July 31, 2020, 01:59:34 pm »
Pennant over Alves is the one that really haunts me.

I know what you mean, and a prime Alves in this current team would be absolutely unreal, but I think if we had signed Alves back then in that team, he would have struggled.

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: July 31, 2020, 02:55:18 pm »
Only time will show that only success they have is in Klopp's era when it comes to football.

Gosh. I really hope you're wrong about this.

It's a pretty bold and definitive statement.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: July 31, 2020, 02:59:50 pm »
World, European and Premier League Champions from the point when they took over where H&G almost had us in liquidation, and Hodgson was saying a 2-0 loss at Goodison was Utopia.

C'mon now Carra-ton. They've engaged with the community, reversed decisions based on feedback from fans groups, developed the stadium and facilities, and put us in the top echelon of the game where we don't need to sell our stars, and not only that, our stars never agitate to leave - they want to stay. Coutinho wanted to leave during Klopp's tenure btw - the club's been propelled on since then. We have the best analytics and recruitment setup in world football. C'mon. Get a grip.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Peter Moore to step down
« Reply #100 on: July 31, 2020, 03:06:49 pm »
I think it’s more a case of him wanting to move back to his family in America than any freshening up of his role.

I’m not sure what his job has entailed but we’ve been a very well run club for many years now and he’s been a part of that. I wish him all the best for the future.

As do I. And yes, I agree he probably wants to be closer to his family.  But he is also the kind of guy who will always be looking for the next challenge, and wont want to stay in one place for very long.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

• Legacy Fan
Re: Peter Moore to step down
« Reply #101 on: July 31, 2020, 03:33:14 pm »
As do I. And yes, I agree he probably wants to be closer to his family.  But he is also the kind of guy who will always be looking for the next challenge, and wont want to stay in one place for very long.

Didn't he come to the end of a three year contract, the club had planned his successor and he's moving on to the next challenge? Or to retire. ;)

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: July 31, 2020, 04:04:05 pm »
World, European and Premier League Champions from the point when they took over where H&G almost had us in liquidation, and Hodgson was saying a 2-0 loss at Goodison was Utopia.

C'mon now Carra-ton. They've engaged with the community, reversed decisions based on feedback from fans groups, developed the stadium and facilities, and put us in the top echelon of the game where we don't need to sell our stars, and not only that, our stars never agitate to leave - they want to stay. Coutinho wanted to leave during Klopp's tenure btw - the club's been propelled on since then. We have the best analytics and recruitment setup in world football. C'mon. Get a grip.

I think what most people seem to miss is that the alternatives out there are most likely worse than what we have. Everyone wants to complain, yet they usually cannot come up with more acceptable alternatives.

It should have already been a good lesson for us to have lived through the Hicks and Gillett era. The Spirit of Shankly should attest to that. Imagine if we have gone from that to someone like a Mike Ashley for example. That would have been the end of LFC as we have known in for the better part of the last 5 decades. Think about other ownership groups out there, just in the PL. Almost every single one with no exceptions have less than scrupulous reputations. Just about the only one at the present moment that I think are universally beloved are the Thais who run Leicester. Even they though are not beyond reproach. Other than that, you will be hard pressed to come up with others who their fans think highly of. They just don’t really exist.

This is a problem with life in general I think, as people just don’t appreciate how lucky they are sometimes. In a lot of ways.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: July 31, 2020, 07:34:35 pm »

What? No idea where that perception has come from! The second coming of Jesus could happen and we’d all say ‘yeah but you’re no Jurgen’.

If you don’t think the men in suits make a difference, take a trip to Old Trafford to see just how much they can fuck it up.

Offline Reeves

• Back from the dead. Bit simples.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "THE DISTANCE BETWEEN INSANITY AND GENIUS.........
    • RAWK
« Reply #104 on: July 31, 2020, 07:53:33 pm »
Is there a Peter Moore thread?
..........IS MEASURED ONLY BY SUCCESS"

RAWK - HJC Champions 2003
Former RAWK Scribe 2002 - 2004

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: July 31, 2020, 08:17:12 pm »
I know what you mean, and a prime Alves in this current team would be absolutely unreal, but I think if we had signed Alves back then in that team, he would have struggled.

I think it’s a fairly safe bet that he’d have been an improvement on Jermaine Pennant.

Offline Illmatic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: July 31, 2020, 08:22:40 pm »
Is there a Peter Moore thread?

There was one but it got deleted. So the discussion moved here.
Nas is like the Afrocentric Asian, half-man, half-amazin

Offline stevo7

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Direct Action Now
« Reply #107 on: July 31, 2020, 08:25:53 pm »
Fuck the Brexit Adverts of LFC TV - its an advertising agency that they should fuck off.Maybe why Peter moved on. I dont want to see pro-tory shit on LFC.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: July 31, 2020, 08:36:51 pm »
Fuck the Brexit Adverts of LFC TV - its an advertising agency that they should fuck off.Maybe why Peter moved on. I dont want to see pro-tory shit on LFC.

My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline stevo7

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Direct Action Now

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: July 31, 2020, 08:40:58 pm »
move on la  :)

Just anywhere but America  ;D
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 08:50:41 pm by WhereAngelsPlay »
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline stevo7

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Direct Action Now
« Reply #111 on: July 31, 2020, 08:49:32 pm »
Buy or but?

was going to apply for greencard. Grandad is America Airforce WW2. He died 2002.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: July 31, 2020, 09:24:17 pm »
Never ceases to amaze me how sometimes the simplest of comments can take bizarre, random turns.

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #113 on: August 1, 2020, 12:35:38 am »
Never ceases to amaze me how sometimes the simplest of comments can take bizarre, random turns.

“all I said to my wife was that piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah.”
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: August 1, 2020, 12:05:01 pm »
“all I said to my wife was that piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah.”

:)

Offline FLRed67

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: August 1, 2020, 12:33:08 pm »
Mike Gordon and Billy Hogan run the club, overseen by Werner. Gordon responsible for money going out, Hogan for money coming in.

Peter Moore brought in to be liaison with the city and fans. A figurehead. A lovely man, who did a fantastic job.

FSG have promoted proven talent, and replaced him with the guy who had United rolling in the dough.

Buckle up.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #116 on: August 1, 2020, 01:24:13 pm »
Mike Gordon and Billy Hogan run the club, overseen by Werner. Gordon responsible for money going out, Hogan for money coming in.

Peter Moore brought in to be liaison with the city and fans. A figurehead. A lovely man, who did a fantastic job.

FSG have promoted proven talent, and replaced him with the guy who had United rolling in the dough.

Buckle up.

A lot of people seem to be ignoring that part
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: August 1, 2020, 03:18:17 pm »

Buckle up.

Well when you put it that way sounds like a bit of a transfer coup appointing Scammell,the commercial generational talent.  :)

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: August 1, 2020, 03:26:09 pm »
Scammell,the commercial generational talent.  :)

He's a top, top commercial director. Very high ceiling. His underlying numbers are elite level.

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: August 1, 2020, 03:33:17 pm »
He's a top, top commercial director. Very high ceiling. His underlying numbers are elite level.

Haha yes,we'll just have to see if he gels well with the others in the boardroom.