Author Topic: Space exploration thread - Unexpected Rapid Disassembly in the launch area.  (Read 310713 times)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Re: Space exploration thread
« Reply #1760 on: September 30, 2016, 12:41:53 pm »
Judging by my attempt to give times as this, I'm as liable to say 'seeing a couple of Giger-style aliens in those eggs' as add anything meaningful :D

Hopefully it'll give them the images and measurements they want to get by doing this. Listening to one of the ESA guys now, he's saying that the big thing to get is the measurements from within 2km of the comet and figure out what's going on there.

JPL stream with commentary (not sure if ESA is still just showing silent scenes):

http://www.ustream.tv/nasajpl2

Cheers mate - just seen this - appreciated :)

I thought it was happening at 22:00 to be honest :(

Ah well. Saw some of it..
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1761 on: September 30, 2016, 12:42:23 pm »

Mosaic of landing images

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #1762 on: September 30, 2016, 02:39:42 pm »
The last picture it took 51m above the ground.

Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Online Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #1763 on: September 30, 2016, 03:34:17 pm »
How long before folk start spotting faces. There's definitely a couple of noses on that last one.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1764 on: September 30, 2016, 03:54:06 pm »
How long before folk start spotting faces. There's definitely a couple of noses on that last one.

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #1765 on: September 30, 2016, 04:20:20 pm »
There was code written into the mission software which would initiate after Rosetta felt the impact and begin a complete shutdown sequence.

Shame they did that, I guess there was a reason it would have been interesting to see if it transmitted a bit of data after the impact like if it bounced.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline tedmus

• Bird Assassin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1766 on: September 30, 2016, 04:32:28 pm »
Shame they did that, I guess there was a reason it would have been interesting to see if it transmitted a bit of data after the impact like if it bounced.
Read this on another forum:

"One of the technicians explained on Radio 4 this morning why they have to shut Rosetta down just before it touches down -

the mission has ended so it is one of the rules of robotic probe space exploration that the transmitters be shut down once there is no more data to transmit. This is because the band of frequencies used by probes is very narrow and they don't want to clog up the airwaves and compromise the effectiveness of future missions

the mission will end automatically once they touch down because it is highly likely that, once Rosetta settles on the surface, it will sit at an angle that will stop its high gain antenna from pointing at the earth - which means that it could not communicate with earth.
This is why they have to send a signal to shut it down before it lands otherwise they will lose contact and miss the opportunity to send the "shut down" signal."

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1767 on: September 30, 2016, 05:20:57 pm »
What an incredible mission, simply incredible.

I don't think the general public have quite understood how difficult this was.

It's such an exciting time in space travel though, it looks as though plans for a manned mission to mars (to orbit it at least) will actually happen.  I had always assumed it was a pipe dream, but it seems to be genuinely achievable now..
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #1768 on: September 30, 2016, 05:29:21 pm »
What an incredible mission, simply incredible.

I don't think the general public have quite understood how difficult this was.

It's such an exciting time in space travel though, it looks as though plans for a manned mission to mars (to orbit it at least) will actually happen.  I had always assumed it was a pipe dream, but it seems to be genuinely achievable now..
And the people involved in this endeavour will go largely unrecognised, whilst the average soap opera actor would expect to notch up award after award.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1769 on: September 30, 2016, 07:11:23 pm »
very exciting times for space geodesy
You'll Never Walk Alone

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1770 on: October 4, 2016, 08:48:08 pm »
http://www.iflscience.com/space/mystery-of-the-megastructure-star-deepens/

Our galaxy’s weirdest star, KIC 8462852, is even weirder than previously thought, showing changes never observed before in a star like this.

To quickly recap, last year it was announced that the object experienced dramatic and rapid changes in brightness, which led to the wild speculation that the object was surrounded by an alien megastructure. New observations have shown that there are no aliens around it but the mystery has deepened further still, as historical data suggests that the star has inexplicably dimmed by 14 percent in just over a century.

Researchers Josh Simon and Ben Montet, using observations by NASA’s Kepler space telescope, discovered that KIC 8462852 faded slowly and then suddenly during the four years it was studied.

“Our highly accurate measurements over four years demonstrate that the star really is getting fainter with time,” said Montet, from Caltech, in a statement. "It is unprecedented for this type of star to slowly fade for years, and we don’t see anything else like it in the Kepler data.”

A pre-print of the research was released in August, and is now published in the Astrophysical Journal. In it, the scientists compared KIC 8462852 to 500 similar stars also observed by Kepler. Although they saw a small fraction getting fainter with time, none had dimming episodes as intense.

KIC 8462852, which is also known as Tabby’s star, faded about 1 percent in the first three years of the study, before suddenly dropping another 2 percent more. It then remained stable for the final six months.

“This star was already completely unique because of its sporadic dimming episodes. But now we see that it has other features that are just as strange, both slowly dimming for almost three years and then suddenly getting fainter much more rapidly,” Simon, from the Carnegie Institute of Science, continued.

The six months of dimming in 2012 could be explained by the breakup of a planet or comets, but the apparent long term fading must be something else. And we still don’t know what caused a dramatic change in brightness reported last year.

“It’s a big challenge to come up with a good explanation for a star doing three different things that have never been seen before,” Montet added. “But these observations will provide an important clue to solving the mystery of KIC 8462852.”
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1771 on: October 5, 2016, 11:09:16 am »
Still think it will be something between us and the star blocking the light rather than something close to the star itself

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1772 on: October 5, 2016, 12:44:06 pm »
Will we ever know in our lifetime?
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1773 on: October 5, 2016, 02:00:14 pm »
I always wonder with Kepler how accurate some of the data might be after it lost two of its four reaction wheels (kind of like gyroscopes).
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1774 on: October 5, 2016, 03:13:47 pm »
Still think it will be something between us and the star blocking the light rather than something close to the star itself

think you're wrong

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #1775 on: October 11, 2016, 01:58:51 am »
I find this report on SpaceX very entertaining. Without passing my own bias, here it is:
http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/30/13114704/spacex-elon-musk-vs-mars-one-nasa-mission-timeline
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1776 on: October 11, 2016, 05:32:04 pm »

:'(

Popcorn's Art

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1777 on: October 16, 2016, 08:44:11 pm »
That's where we need to start looking for life. Why that has taken so long, I have no clue. It's been proposed so many times...
http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20161014-there-is-a-way-to-find-fossils-of-martian-life

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1778 on: October 19, 2016, 03:57:47 pm »
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 04:00:33 pm by Tsar Kastik »
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1779 on: October 20, 2016, 08:11:13 am »
Doesn't look like the lander made it.  Based on the telemetry I'd guess the landing thrusters cut out too soon or failed altogether.

Popcorn's Art

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1780 on: October 21, 2016, 08:48:46 pm »
More evidence to support the existence of Planet Nine: a six degree tilt in the ecliptic plane, relative to the Sun.

Astronomers presented new research on the possibility of a gigantic, unseen planet beyond Neptune on Wednesday, saying the hypothetical world may have set the solar system at a tilt.

Researchers first suggested a massive ninth planet in January, saying that although this putative world would be about 10 times the size of Earth, it could have escaped a telescope’s notice because of its extreme distance from the sun. One year on this planet, according to their calculations, would last 17,000 years on Earth, and it would travel as far away as 93bn miles from the sun, where it would take light a week to arrive.

On Wednesday, astronomers at the California Institute of Technology presented their new evidence in Pasadena, California, at the annual meeting of planetary scientists of the American Astronomical Society.

“The search for planet nine,” Caltech astronomer Mike Brown said, “is as much about understanding the effects of planet nine on the solar system, the physics of planet nine, as it is about understanding where it is.”

Brown said that his team had calculated how a hypothetical planet could be responsible for making the sun appear to tilt at an angle. Though the eight planets orbit in an essentially flat plane around the sun, the plane itself rotates at nearly a six-degree angle, making it look like the sun itself is angled. A giant planet with a strange orbit, about 30 degrees off the other planets’ plane, could account for that wobble, the scientists suggested.

“Because Planet Nine is so massive and has an orbit tilted compared to the other planets,” said Elizabeth Bailey, the study’s author, “the solar system has no choice but to slowly twist out of alignment.

“It’s such a deep-rooted mystery and so difficult to explain that people just don’t talk about it,” said Brown. “If you ask yourself where the sun is tilted in real life there’s where we predict it should be,” he added, noting that the calculations of mass and orbital angle had results of six degrees.

“The amazing thing is for these very standard [observations],” Brown said, “it tilts it nearly exactly correctly.

“At this stage we have so many lines of evidence that there’s a massive planet out there,” he added, “that if there’s not a massive planet out there it has to be that there was one there yesterday and disappeared.”

Brown suggested that scientists may be able to locate the planet, if it exists, in the next few years, and that his team’s work would be published in an upcoming issue of the Astrophysical Journal.

Full article: https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/oct/19/planet-nine-solar-system-tilt-astronomers

Popcorn's Art

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1781 on: October 28, 2016, 02:53:22 am »
Mars is a Bitch (with a capital "B")...  :(

Evidence of the crashed lander
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-37788444

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #1782 on: October 28, 2016, 03:17:06 am »
Mars is a Bitch (with a capital "B")...  :(

Evidence of the crashed lander
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-37788444

Puts NASA/JPL's success into perspective. Hopefully further funding will continue for ExoMars - it's like £1 a person across the EU to finish funding it, I'd like to think we'd be willing to crowdfund it in the old fashioned way.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1783 on: October 28, 2016, 06:11:25 am »
Puts NASA/JPL's success into perspective. Hopefully further funding will continue for ExoMars - it's like £1 a person across the EU to finish funding it, I'd like to think we'd be willing to crowdfund it in the old fashioned way.
Maybe NASA and ESA should try to work more closely together; how many times have the Russians landed on Mars?

By the way, the next NASA/ESA Mars mission, InSight, will most likely succeed. It supposed to launch last March, but a vacuum issue in the seismometer postponed the mission. The window opens on May 5, 2018.

Offline Flaccid Bobby Fowler

• Supports the No To Racism campaign. Good lad.
  • Legacy Fan
  • *****In Istanbul, we won it 5 times*****
« Reply #1784 on: October 28, 2016, 11:11:07 am »
Why such interest in Mars when its totally devoid of water apart from frozen caps and it has no oxygen?

edit: sorry, I aim this question at spacex and the mission to have people living there!

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1785 on: October 28, 2016, 11:14:56 am »
Why such interest in Mars when its totally devoid of water apart from frozen caps and it has no oxygen?

edit: sorry, I aim this question at spacex and the mission to have people living there!
Subsurface water had not been excluded. Plus, making oxygen seems reasonably achievable with modern technologies, and it's close to Earth for a journey to take a reasonable time. People dream of terraforming Mars. Going to any other place is inconceivable at this time.

Offline butchersdog

• Scouse Tiger.....grrrr :)
  • Kopite
« Reply #1786 on: October 28, 2016, 12:47:36 pm »
Any more edcuated types know much about the feasibility of reversing the greenhouse effect on Venus before say, the end of the century?

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1787 on: October 28, 2016, 02:17:37 pm »
Any more edcuated types know much about the feasibility of reversing the greenhouse effect on Venus before say, the end of the century?
I used to think that (and the beginning of a sci-fi novel called Return to Venus where it turns out humans, after causing a runaway greenhouse effect on Earth and Mars somehow being destroyed, find a way to artificially cool Venus to bring it to habitable levels for humanity.  Anyway they find traces of ancient human activity in an old crevice, triggering a massive alarm throughout the planet.  The visitors realise that what had happened on Earth was the same as what we did to Venus millennia ago and now it was too late, the ancient humans booby-trapped the planet in case we ever returned.  Venus self-destructs to stop the plague of humanity spreading further afield for the good of the galaxy.)

Anyway, no.  Though there's some good theories about how it could be terraformed, none are even remotely realistic.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #1788 on: October 29, 2016, 11:40:40 pm »
Maybe NASA and ESA should try to work more closely together; how many times have the Russians landed on Mars?

By the way, the next NASA/ESA Mars mission, InSight, will most likely succeed. It supposed to launch last March, but a vacuum issue in the seismometer postponed the mission. The window opens on May 5, 2018.

I remember it being postponed. Just read up again on the objectives of the mission. Very cool.

I'm still gutted that Space 1999 won't happen so I guess I don't mind the co-operation reaching as far as we can with stuff like the ISS. Obviously politics and all that fun there but does make sense to me that ESA shouldn't be bombarding Mars with exploding metal objects if there's obvious expertise to be shared.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1789 on: November 1, 2016, 09:01:22 pm »
Geoffrey Landis made some interesting proposals about floating habitats on Venus:

Landis has proposed aerostat habitats followed by floating cities, based on the concept that breathable air (21:79 oxygen/nitrogen mixture) is a lifting gas in the dense carbon dioxide atmosphere, with over 60% of the lifting power that helium has on Earth.[5] In effect, a balloon full of human-breathable air would sustain itself and extra weight (such as a colony) in midair. At an altitude of 50 kilometres (31 mi) above Venerian surface, the environment is the most Earth-like in the Solar System – a pressure of approximately 1000 hPa and temperatures in the 0 to 50 °C (273 to 323 K; 32 to 122 °F) range. Protection against cosmic radiation would be provided by the atmosphere above, with shielding mass equivalent to Earth's.[6]

At the top of the clouds the wind speed on Venus reaches up to 95 m/s (340 km/h; 210 mph), circling the planet approximately every four Earth days in a phenomenon known as "super-rotation".[7] Colonies floating in this region could therefore have a much shorter day length by remaining untethered to the ground and moving with the atmosphere, compared to the usual 243 Earth days it takes for the planet to rotate. Allowing a colony to move freely would also reduce structural stress from the wind.

At this moment in time there's no way to even practically get to the surface in anything other than small scale.  It would be easier to build habitats at the bottom of the deepest oceans of Earth.

If there was the technology I suppose you could rig a big enough solar shield to screen the sun from Venus and put it into permanent darkness; I suppose eventually the planet would cool enough for the Co2 to freeze.  If you could then chop it up - literally mine it - and take it off planet someplace else, then you might be able to do something with what was left.  But that technology is at least 500 hundred of years away and such a process would likely take a thousand years in any case.

Popcorn's Art

Offline smithng

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "On a stroppy little island of mixed up people"
« Reply #1790 on: November 8, 2016, 04:10:49 pm »

photograph of Phobos over Mars from @esa Mars Express. https://t.co/q0HItmJ6Pa

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1791 on: November 8, 2016, 08:39:37 pm »
Simply incredible picture....

Stunning...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline smithng

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "On a stroppy little island of mixed up people"
« Reply #1792 on: November 14, 2016, 12:37:22 pm »
Supermoon and Space Station

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap161114.html?utm_content=buffer5bd7d&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

The international space station crossing the moon, or is it a group of Tai Fighters returning to their dark side of the moon base  ;)

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #1793 on: November 21, 2016, 12:37:45 pm »
So I'm guessing the giant blue thing near the sun was just a flare yes? and not an Alien invasion

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1794 on: November 27, 2016, 08:28:31 pm »
Been watching a few of this lass' videos past few days.  This one is well worth a share.  I knew about the Soviet space shuttle but didn't know they actually built five of them.  Her youtube vid includes links to images of the shuttles today - well worth a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1WUk6zmRr8

http://ralphmirebs.livejournal.com/219949.html

Popcorn's Art

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #1795 on: December 4, 2016, 05:32:15 am »
ESA gets its funding for the Mars Rover and more. Asked for around 11bn euros and the ministers have approved 10.3bn of that. 2021 it is then. Hopefully. ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-38183188

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1796 on: December 5, 2016, 09:15:49 pm »
 :o

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ytZ5jxZOMaE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ytZ5jxZOMaE</a>

Popcorn's Art

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1797 on: December 6, 2016, 09:38:33 pm »
I don't suppose anyone uses Starlink when they're analysing images who could help?  I've got about 1200 .fits/.sdf files I need to analyse for a particular variable star so I can create a light curve for it.  All I'm after is a way to process the images so it can track the magnitude of a certain object over all the images so it can be processed in something like Excel.

Not much, I grant you!
My Twitter

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1798 on: December 8, 2016, 08:32:00 pm »
RIP John Glenn.  Passed away aged 95.
My Twitter

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1799 on: December 8, 2016, 08:39:00 pm »
"If I can inspire young people to dedicate themselves to the good of mankind, I've accomplished something"

What a legacy
W