Author Topic: Space exploration thread - Unexpected Rapid Disassembly in the launch area.  (Read 313295 times)

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Space exploration thread
« Reply #1720 on: July 9, 2016, 03:53:42 pm »
Almost exactly a year after its Pluto encounter, New Horizons' extended KBO mission has been approved.  :)
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1721 on: July 9, 2016, 06:13:12 pm »
Almost exactly a year after its Pluto encounter, New Horizons' extended KBO mission has been approved.  :)

Oh that's awesome! One interesting quote from an article back when they chose the target:

The spacecraft will perform a series of four rocket firings in October and November to angle its trajectory to pass close by 2014 MU69 in early January 2019. In so doing, New Horizons will become the first flyby craft to pass by a target that was not discovered before the spacecraft launched.

How cool is that?

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1722 on: July 10, 2016, 12:36:25 am »
One of the images my uni group brought back from Tenerife, M57.

My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1723 on: July 10, 2016, 08:26:45 pm »
Oh that's awesome! One interesting quote from an article back when they chose the target:

The spacecraft will perform a series of four rocket firings in October and November to angle its trajectory to pass close by 2014 MU69 in early January 2019. In so doing, New Horizons will become the first flyby craft to pass by a target that was not discovered before the spacecraft launched.

How cool is that?

It's very cool.  ;D

One of the images my uni group brought back from Tenerife, M57.

That's pretty neat too!

Popcorn's Art

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1724 on: July 11, 2016, 08:12:15 am »
Remeber reading once if you travelled in any direction you'd eventually end back at earth. If that is true then couldn't the current expansion of the universe eventually lead to all the matter returning to a singular point from where the original expansion started? Unless space is expanding too, just seems odd that everything will keep expanding to nothingness!

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1725 on: July 11, 2016, 09:49:40 am »
Remeber reading once if you travelled in any direction you'd eventually end back at earth. If that is true then couldn't the current expansion of the universe eventually lead to all the matter returning to a singular point from where the original expansion started? Unless space is expanding too, just seems odd that everything will keep expanding to nothingness!

It depends.

There are three scenerios:

1. There isn't enough matter in the Universe to slow down the expansion and this will lead to a "Heat Death" as everything keeps moving further and further away and the energy over time peters out.

2. There is just enough matter in the Universe to slow down the expansion so that it stops and then remains constant (Which may well eventually lead to "Heat Death" anyway)

3. There is so much matter in the Universe that eventually, the expansion will slow down and then reverse, eventually leading to a "Big Crush" where everything ends up at a single point in space/time.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1726 on: July 11, 2016, 02:00:34 pm »
It depends.

1. There isn't enough matter in the Universe to slow down the expansion and this will lead to a "Heat Death" as everything keeps moving further and further away and the energy over time peters out.

2. There is just enough matter in the Universe to slow down the expansion so that it stops and then remains constant (Which may well eventually lead to "Heat Death" anyway)

3. There is so much matter in the Universe that eventually, the expansion will slow down and then reverse, eventually leading to a "Big Crush" where everything ends up at a single point in space/time.

Just to clarify I meant if everything keeps travelling outwards could it conceivably return back towards its original point in the universe (travelling in any direction bring you back to earth as an example). So rather than the expansion slowing down or reversing it will reach a point where everything has expanded so much it actually starts travelling back toward a singular point in the distance which was the original starting place (so seemingly condensing whilst simultaneously expanding) starting the process over again. Brains melting out my ears now :D

There best be spoilers when we die telling us all this!

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1727 on: July 11, 2016, 11:41:32 pm »
Ah RAWK, a forum dedicated to a football team, wherein one can discuss transfers, formations, Jon Snow's true parentage, and the eventual heat death of the Universe.  ;D

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #1728 on: July 12, 2016, 12:50:07 am »
:D

Amongst the various cool things over the past couple of weeks, Curiosity will get another 2 years of funding to take it until October 2018.

http://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/curiosity-mars-rover-resumes-full-operations

Quite remarkable how knowledge of Mars has shifted from the canals of the Martian civilisation to the barren lifeless waste to 'but once there were oceans which may well have been capable of supporting life'.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1729 on: July 12, 2016, 08:57:42 am »
Just to clarify I meant if everything keeps travelling outwards could it conceivably return back towards its original point in the universe (travelling in any direction bring you back to earth as an example). So rather than the expansion slowing down or reversing it will reach a point where everything has expanded so much it actually starts travelling back toward a singular point in the distance which was the original starting place (so seemingly condensing whilst simultaneously expanding) starting the process over again. Brains melting out my ears now :D

There best be spoilers when we die telling us all this!

Ah, I see what you mean.

Dunno :D

It would be interesting if the entire Universe was actually a mega-game of Asteroids though :D

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline smithng

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "On a stroppy little island of mixed up people"
« Reply #1730 on: July 13, 2016, 10:43:39 am »
Juno probe returns first in-orbit Jupiter photo

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-36780756

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1731 on: July 14, 2016, 12:21:58 pm »
That photo of the Moon in front of the Earth from NASA..?

I can't get my head around how it's real. The Satellite is in a lagrange point (Which is a static point gravitationally between the balances of gravity of the Earth and Moon) and it films the Earth, but the moon crosses across it's view.

This is all fine and good, but when you see the size of the Earth from the Moon on the NASA Moon walks, the Earth is titchy. On this, the moon is there and the Earth is massive behind it.

I can't get the two images to reconcile.. Anyone got any suggestions of why my noggin can't take this in..?

Earth from Moon

Earth fairly titchy looking

-----------------------------------------

Moon comes between Satellite and the Earth

Maybe I'm mad, but if that's real then from the Moon, the Earth would look gigantic and not the titchy thing we see in the first picture..?

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #1732 on: July 14, 2016, 12:37:42 pm »

Maybe I'm mad, but if that's real then from the Moon, the Earth would look gigantic and not the titchy thing we see in the first picture..?

It's to do with a combination of depth of field and also the distance of the near object from the lens.

Here's a simple example from here, note the difference in apparent size of the tree in the background.

If you google depth of field and illusion and such, there's quite a few explanations for that differing size effect.

Maybe I'm mad.

I couldn't possibly comment ;) ;D
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1733 on: July 14, 2016, 01:05:17 pm »
Those cows are far away Dougal :D

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1734 on: July 14, 2016, 03:44:21 pm »

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1735 on: July 14, 2016, 09:04:07 pm »

I can't get the two images to reconcile.. Anyone got any suggestions of why my noggin can't take this in..?

Earth from Moon

Earth fairly titchy looking

-----------------------------------------

Moon comes between Satellite and the Earth

I remember reading Arthur C Clarke's 2010: Odyssey 2 and at a point in the book it says that, from the L1 point both Io an Jupiter look to be the same size.  Given he was a hard SF writer I'm sure this would be correct, but you wouldn't have to move all that far from L1 for the illusion to break down very quickly.

Also, Earth is four times the diameter of the moon, so from the moon Earth WILL appear huge, as compared to the moon as seen from Earth.  (half a degree vs two degrees)   Your top image might be cropped, which may remove some of the sense of scale. 

Try reading up on the "moon illusion" where the moon seems bigger closer to the horizon because there are objects to scale it against.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1736 on: July 16, 2016, 11:13:41 am »
Cheers chaps. Noggin still can't take it - from that piccie the Earth looks like it should look bigger than those Moonwalk shots...

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #1737 on: July 16, 2016, 03:02:33 pm »
Cheers chaps. Noggin still can't take it - from that piccie the Earth looks like it should look bigger than those Moonwalk shots...

Andy, have a read through this.

Extension or wide-angle distortion can be seen in images shot from close using a wide-angle lens (with an angle of view wider than a normal lens). Object close to the lens appears abnormally large relative to more distant objects, and distant objects appear abnormally small and hence more distant – distances are extended. Compression, long-lens, or telephoto distortion can be seen in images shot from a distant using a long focus lens or the more common telephoto sub-type (with an angle of view narrower than a normal lens). Distant objects look approximately the same size – closer objects are abnormally small, and more distant objects are abnormally large, and hence the viewer cannot discern relative distances between distant objects – distances are compressed.

The shot from the Dscovr Satellite of the Earth and Moon was taken with a telephoto (Actually an Epic telescope see here), the shot taken on the Moon wasn't, it would appear was a 60mm.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 03:05:55 pm by The Gulleysucker »
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1738 on: July 16, 2016, 03:44:00 pm »
To add to what Gulleysucker said, here's an example I just did with camerasim.com (a super useful tool for anyone wanting to learn about exposure, etc.):

The first one is zoomed all the way out, but with the camera placed close to the girl. The second is at about twice the distance, but zoomed all the way in (in this case, 55mm, so not even telephoto). Notice that the girl is basically the same size in both, but in the 'telephoto' shot the playground equipment behind her is much bigger (sorry about the framing, that's a limit of the app). This is how people take landscape photos with an enormous-looking moon, and how they shot many of the scenes in LOTR to make the hobbits look small.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1739 on: July 16, 2016, 06:38:38 pm »
Andy, have a read through this.

Extension or wide-angle distortion can be seen in images shot from close using a wide-angle lens (with an angle of view wider than a normal lens). Object close to the lens appears abnormally large relative to more distant objects, and distant objects appear abnormally small and hence more distant – distances are extended. Compression, long-lens, or telephoto distortion can be seen in images shot from a distant using a long focus lens or the more common telephoto sub-type (with an angle of view narrower than a normal lens). Distant objects look approximately the same size – closer objects are abnormally small, and more distant objects are abnormally large, and hence the viewer cannot discern relative distances between distant objects – distances are compressed.

The shot from the Dscovr Satellite of the Earth and Moon was taken with a telephoto (Actually an Epic telescope see here), the shot taken on the Moon wasn't, it would appear was a 60mm.

Nice one - can understand that :)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1740 on: July 16, 2016, 06:39:14 pm »
To add to what Gulleysucker said, here's an example I just did with camerasim.com (a super useful tool for anyone wanting to learn about exposure, etc.):

The first one is zoomed all the way out, but with the camera placed close to the girl. The second is at about twice the distance, but zoomed all the way in (in this case, 55mm, so not even telephoto). Notice that the girl is basically the same size in both, but in the 'telephoto' shot the playground equipment behind her is much bigger (sorry about the framing, that's a limit of the app). This is how people take landscape photos with an enormous-looking moon, and how they shot many of the scenes in LOTR to make the hobbits look small.

Excellent - cheers!

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1741 on: July 16, 2016, 07:40:22 pm »
And today is the anniversary of the launch of Apollo 11 moonshot.  47 years...  :o

Popcorn's Art

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1742 on: August 4, 2016, 08:36:57 pm »
http://www.astronomy.com/news/2016/08/next-stop-the-moon

The first private spaceflight company is cleared for a moon landing

The U.S. government, for the first time ever, is allowing a private spaceflight company the ability to go to the Moon.

A little-known company, Moon Express, announced that it received the “okay” to go to the Moon as confirmed by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).

The company currently has no plans to send humans back to the Moon, but it does want to send a robotic lander by the end of 2017. The spacecraft has yet to be manufactured or tested, as well as the rocket itself has never been flown, but has clearance from the government to send the spacecraft.

All other privately funded spaceflight companies, like SpaceX, also had to gain approval from the government for their activities, but none of the companies have yet attempted to send a spacecraft to the Moon or planet.

Many agencies were needed to sign off on Moon Express’s plan to send a robotic lander. NASA, the State Department, and the FAA all gave their approval after Moon Express requested the government’s approval earlier this year, as reported by Miriam Kramer at Mashable.

"There is no existing regulatory framework for private missions beyond Earth orbit, which is the fundamental reason why Moon Express created a proposed framework out of necessity to fill the regulatory gap for its 2017 lunar mission," says Bob Richards, Moon Express CEO, in an email to Mashable.

Even though Moon Express got permission, the next step is building all the necessary parts to get to the Moon.

They still need to build and test its spacecraft which needs to be able to perform specific tasks to win the $30 million Google Lunar X-Prize competition.

The launch date may be pushed back as the rocket from Rocket Lab Electron, which will be carrying the payload, has not completed a single flight test.

"We have solved the regulatory barrier that was preventing us from launching to the Moon in 2017, so we're back to focusing on the challenges we can solve ourselves: building the Moon Express spacecraft and business," says Richards.

With the government opening up the doors to one private spaceflight industry, it is possible this is the first step in a revolution of companies flying to destinations beyond Earth.

The furthest most companies can launch spacecraft is Earth orbit and with every launch many FAA hurdles are associated with inspections of the payload. These protocols are in place to ensure the spacecraft are safe and it will not violate any international space treaties.

There are many other countries from around the world that are also competing for the $30 million X-Prize, while others -- like SpaceX -- are trying to make it to Mars.

Other companies should in theory be able to use the foundation of Moon Express’s approval for their own purposes of reaching farther into space.

The FAA does caution that even though Moon Express received approval, it is not guaranteed that every company’s idea will be approved in the future.

As Moon Express focused on the safety of its payload as well as outlining the United Nation’s Outer Space Treaty would not be violated, they received approval.

The treaty states that nations cannot claim land as their own such as a celestial body like the Moon. As well as the countries that approved the space activities must supervise all endeavors.

"If an extraterrestrial economy does develop in coming decades and centuries, this action may be looked upon as an initial step in opening the trail to the future," says John Logsdon, professor at George Washington University, in an email to Mashable. "But the rather convoluted process of granting this license also suggests the need for rationalizing the government approach to facilitating private space exploration. Lots of work still to do."

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1743 on: August 12, 2016, 08:55:45 pm »
Perseids tonight if the weather isn't being a dick

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.

Online Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #1746 on: August 29, 2016, 03:42:57 pm »
Ah RAWK, a forum dedicated to a football team, wherein one can discuss transfers, formations, Jon Snow's true parentage, and the eventual heat death of the Universe.  ;D

Is it really? Seems like a forum with a dedicated LFC component.
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1747 on: August 30, 2016, 06:03:26 am »
It depends.

Scenario 2 and 3 are pretty much ruled out at this point. The universe isn't just expanding; its accelerating. There's not enough matter (normal or dark) for gravity to balance the accelerating effects of dark energy.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline smithng

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "On a stroppy little island of mixed up people"
« Reply #1748 on: September 1, 2016, 03:36:02 pm »
SpaceX rocket: Explosion at Cape Canaveral ahead of launch

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37247077

There has been an explosion on the launch pad at Cape Canaveral in Florida, where the aerospace company SpaceX was readying an unmanned rocket for launch.
The cause of the blast is not clear and it is not known if anyone was hurt.
SpaceX was believed to be test-firing a rocket which was due to take a satellite into space this weekend.
Pictures from the scene show a huge plume of smoke rising above the complex.
The force of the blast shook buildings several miles away.
Local emergency officials described the incident as a "catastrophic abort during a static test fire".

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1749 on: September 5, 2016, 06:49:27 pm »
Philae lander found:

Popcorn's Art

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1750 on: September 5, 2016, 11:38:21 pm »
Its always the last place you left it :D

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1751 on: September 6, 2016, 01:27:47 pm »
That large picture of the comet is beautiful
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #1752 on: September 6, 2016, 03:37:28 pm »
Its always the last place you left it :D

Has it got my remote as well?

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #1753 on: September 30, 2016, 06:08:07 am »
Rosetta crashes into the space duck tonight at around 10pm. Livestream for the day, final approach begins at about 8pm, here: http://livestream.com/ESA/rosettagrandfinale

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1754 on: September 30, 2016, 10:28:15 am »
Rosetta crashes into the space duck tonight at around 10pm. Livestream for the day, final approach begins at about 8pm, here: http://livestream.com/ESA/rosettagrandfinale

Yeah exciting stuff. Do you think they'll be able to get the hoped-for glimpses into the craters and work out what those 'building blocks' are?

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #1755 on: September 30, 2016, 10:40:47 am »
Comet from 16 km

Comet from 5.8 km – narrow-angle camera

« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 10:44:05 am by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #1756 on: September 30, 2016, 11:19:58 am »
Yeah exciting stuff. Do you think they'll be able to get the hoped-for glimpses into the craters and work out what those 'building blocks' are?

Judging by my attempt to give times as this, I'm as liable to say 'seeing a couple of Giger-style aliens in those eggs' as add anything meaningful :D

Hopefully it'll give them the images and measurements they want to get by doing this. Listening to one of the ESA guys now, he's saying that the big thing to get is the measurements from within 2km of the comet and figure out what's going on there.

JPL stream with commentary (not sure if ESA is still just showing silent scenes):

http://www.ustream.tv/nasajpl2

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #1757 on: September 30, 2016, 11:43:44 am »
I wonder if it will survive the crash seeing its hitting it at walking pace.

I asked them on Facebook and got my answer.

ESA - European Space Agency No
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 11:59:43 am by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #1758 on: September 30, 2016, 12:35:31 pm »
Wonder when anyone will know what happened to it after it hit. A long time in the future I suspect.

Going to be fun to follow what they come up with from the data, especially on the questions around the origins of life.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1759 on: September 30, 2016, 12:40:47 pm »
Wonder when anyone will know what happened to it after it hit. A long time in the future I suspect.

Going to be fun to follow what they come up with from the data, especially on the questions around the origins of life.

Its been on live now - they got photos from 10 and 5 metres away before it hit!

They are still processing them now.