Author Topic: The Attack  (Read 394615 times)

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
Re: The Attack
« Reply #1560 on: December 18, 2014, 03:24:38 pm »
sterling up front helps us cater for our array of midfield talent. Sturridge alongside him when fit.

Keep Markovic and Lallana in the starting XI

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1561 on: December 18, 2014, 03:25:34 pm »
Glad to see people finally realising markovic is a decent player!

He is a good player. As are Lallana, Markovic, Can and Moreno.

We didnt buy shit players in the summer. They have ability. Only issue with the summer signings were that none of the players were big players and leaders and having lost one in Suarez and with only 1 real top level player left in Sturridge, our mix was wrong.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #1562 on: December 18, 2014, 03:41:26 pm »
If the last two games has taught me anything, it has shown how much Raheem Sterling absorbed from watching Luis Suarez.

Allow me to support this thesis.

First, Sterling's mobility at this position is much better than anyone we have had (other than Suarez). IMO it is much better than Sturridge and our ability to press teams higher is a result of this formation change (as Serbian Scouser reminds us on another thread --- agree wholeheartedly with)...

Second, Sterling ability to occupy several defenders has created space, and confidence for both Lallana and Coutinho.  So even more than mobility to press, and taking on players, Sterling's role amplifies our other player's strengths --- increasing both tactical and technical aspects of our ball movement.  We are faster as a team and less predictable.

Third, Rodgers said as much today --- this is not my thesis but his.  One wonders how a Sturridge and Sterling front line might look in a few weeks.

None of this would have been possible (having Raheem play a loose #9 role) without Brendan Rodgers' imagination to recreate new patterns of attack using pace/mobility as a central skill to build around nor would it be possible if Sterling hadn't been paying attention, learning his craft in multiple positions.

While we are not where we want to be, I am really pumped up about where we are headed provided we get some practice time, and we keep fighting through attacking third problems as presented by different squads.....  Raheem versus Mertesacker (1 vs 1) is going to be mouthwatering if we are able to keep current form.....
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #1563 on: December 18, 2014, 03:51:11 pm »
If the last two games has taught me anything, it has shown how much Raheem Sterling absorbed from watching Luis Suarez.

Allow me to support this thesis.

First, Sterling's mobility at this position is much better than anyone we have had (other than Suarez). IMO it is much better than Sturridge and our ability to press teams higher is a result of this formation change (as Serbian Scouser reminds us on another thread --- agree wholeheartedly with)...

Second, Sterling ability to occupy several defenders has created space, and confidence for both Lallana and Coutinho.  So even more than mobility to press, and taking on players, Sterling's role amplifies our other player's strengths --- increasing both tactical and technical aspects of our ball movement.  We are faster as a team and less predictable.

Third, Rodgers said as much today --- this is not my thesis but his.  One wonders how a Sturridge and Sterling front line might look in a few weeks.

None of this would have been possible (having Raheem play a loose #9 role) without Brendan Rodgers' imagination to recreate new patterns of attack using pace/mobility as a central skill to build around nor would it be possible if Sterling hadn't been paying attention, learning his craft in multiple positions.

While we are not where we want to be, I am really pumped up about where we are headed provided we get some practice time, and we keep fighting through attacking third problems as presented by different squads.....  Raheem versus Mertesacker (1 vs 1) is going to be mouthwatering if we are able to keep current form.....

Going off a great post by Daws,

I'm desperate to see a team set up based on the problems we have had with the system rather than individuals Rodgers trust. Some times your best 11 isn't always made up of your 11 most talented players, but the way they interact, understanding and have opposing skill sets to their partners and team mates. Familiarisation is huge as well but we gradually have to build that up given all the new faces.

I'd like to see and aggressive back line consisting of Manquillo, Lovren, Sakho, and Moreno. Splitting the centre halves would be Lucas, with Henderson and Coutinho flanking him and Lallana playing at the tip of he diamond. Sterling and Sturridge to lead the line with Sturridge playing a similar role that he did last season  and Sterling coming deeper and wider, running at defenders much like Suarez did last year.

I wrote this:

Daws' (implicit?) suggestion to make Sterling our "Suarez substitute" is brilliant, to me.

Sterling, I've always thought, would end up as a striker. Not a 'pure', or 'old-fashioned' 'center-forward' but no one would characterize Suarez, or Aguerro or Tevez or Sanchez thus, either.

We now have a squad that can make up for NOT using Sterling on the flank etc.

We played quite a bit of 433 with Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling as, nominally at least, the front-3 last season.

We should be able to play a 433, along the same lines, with Sterling, Sturridge and one of Markovic, Coutinho or Lallana as the nominal 3rd component of the front 3.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 03:59:25 pm by GrkStav »
Ludi Circenses!

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #1564 on: December 18, 2014, 04:06:30 pm »
Going off a great post by Daws,

I wrote this:

Great post.  Thanks for consolidating this for all of us....  Lucas is a pivotal player if we go Skrtel-Sakho then...

This is certainly a hopeful path forward in terms of how we play with the ball, our tactics of getting forward and pressing, and getting on the front foot....
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1565 on: December 18, 2014, 04:21:23 pm »
We all (rightly) joke (self-deprecate, even) about the 'geniuses' that we all are here on RAWK, regarding tactics, player-selection, etc.

On the other hand, it IS true that in the midst of our collective chaff (mine, included of course), there's some seriously good (if rare), prescient "wheat", too.

The challenge is to know which is which before the fact, obviously.  :wave
Ludi Circenses!

Offline Didi_ram

• Legacy Fan
  • Only 9900 kms away
« Reply #1566 on: December 18, 2014, 04:32:34 pm »
Well, Sterling created an awful lot of chances at the weekend and terrorized United without scoring. Yesterday he was clinical. The 2nd goal was very Suarez-esque. I think the key to this thought is how he plays on Sunday. He has the attributes to be a center forward having nimble footwork, pace, dribbling, and power. One more name I can think of-adding to the list of Tevez Aguero etc- is Giuseppi Rossi, another player of this kind.
If Raheem does that on the big stage on Sunday, we can be rest assured that Rodgers will be spending Christmas dreaming about a diamond having Sterling replacing Suarez.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1567 on: December 18, 2014, 04:48:22 pm »

I don't think he's ready for a role that far forward just yet with the expectation of goals that it brings in big games, it is necessary to bring in another forward in Jan- I do think he will be devastating eventually in a free role, but we could do with an Alonso to get the ball to him in good positions quickly or play him in behind defenders. Our build up play is still laboured. 

Offline GrkStav

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1568 on: December 18, 2014, 04:52:25 pm »
Well, Sterling created an awful lot of chances at the weekend and terrorized United without scoring. Yesterday he was clinical. The 2nd goal was very Suarez-esque. I think the key to this thought is how he plays on Sunday. He has the attributes to be a center forward having nimble footwork, pace, dribbling, and power. One more name I can think of-adding to the list of Tevez Aguero etc- is Giuseppi Rossi, another player of this kind.
If Raheem does that on the big stage on Sunday, we can be rest assured that Rodgers will be spending Christmas dreaming about a diamond having Sterling replacing Suarez.

Yes, big time. Plenty of 'sleight-of-stature' top quality center-forwards/strikers around.

Personally, I think what Raheem is missing is shooting-practice (even his good ones look tentative).
Ludi Circenses!

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1569 on: December 18, 2014, 04:58:45 pm »
Noticed Sterling does the same thing Suarez used to when the ball is played forward high, he's always anticipating a mistimed jump from the defender and running in behind, saw Luis get on the end of a loose ball countless times due to this

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1570 on: December 18, 2014, 06:01:44 pm »
Balotelli banned for one game. Guessing this is the relevant place.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1571 on: December 18, 2014, 06:17:16 pm »
Noticed Sterling does the same thing Suarez used to when the ball is played forward high, he's always anticipating a mistimed jump from the defender and running in behind, saw Luis get on the end of a loose ball countless times due to this

Yeah I clocked that as well. He's lucky to have learned alongside Luis last season, must have been educational.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline RedEire

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #1572 on: December 18, 2014, 07:34:15 pm »
Balotelli banned for one game. Guessing this is the relevant place.
hes injured for this weekend so could this weekend count as his one match ban?
Having Welbeck try and mark Pirlo is ridiculous. It's like trying to get a golden retriever to stop a tennis ball machine.Because one is a machine designed for a very specific purpose that it is peerless at, and the other is a fucking dog.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #1573 on: December 18, 2014, 07:34:56 pm »
hes injured for this weekend so could this weekend count as his one match ban?

Yes.

Offline RedEire

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #1574 on: December 18, 2014, 07:44:54 pm »
Having Welbeck try and mark Pirlo is ridiculous. It's like trying to get a golden retriever to stop a tennis ball machine.Because one is a machine designed for a very specific purpose that it is peerless at, and the other is a fucking dog.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1575 on: December 18, 2014, 09:39:59 pm »
Coutinho automatically puts the opposing defense on the back foot.  He's either going to pass in behind you, or take you on and dribble right past 2 or 3.  He's not always finding teammates with his passing in the final third, and his shooting does lack at times, but he's a very, very good player and most composure issues get sorted out with age.

Offline kkhaku

• Kaladze
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter: k_rrar
« Reply #1576 on: December 18, 2014, 09:45:45 pm »

Suarez also had an amazing ability (which I've seen almost no other player do) to back into a defender while the ball was in flight allowing him to chest the ball down rather than head it. He would do this well before the ball was on its way down, tricking the defender into thinking he wanted to compete for a header, and the ball would come down right at Suarez' shoulder level, so the defender either has to barge him or jump over him to get the first touch on the ball.

I'm not really sure why I pointed that out. Withdrawal symptoms I suppose.
"God is dead." - Freidrich Nietzsche, 1882
"Nietzsche is dead." - God, 1900

Offline Obviously

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1577 on: December 18, 2014, 10:39:33 pm »
I'm genuinely excited about the possibility of having Sterling, Sturridge, Markovic, Coutinho, Lallana, Ibe, Origi as attacking options next season. Young, technical, quick, the potential there is really amazing. Just needs maturing and tactical coaching and the attack might be sorted for years.

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1578 on: December 18, 2014, 11:03:44 pm »
I am all over this theory now that you just get 4 top top strikers and a keeper that saves everything

Between that, bring the kids through and save the cash

The academy and some older heads will be fine for the rest, no-one defends anyway, last year proved not that the league rewards offense and only offense, the rest is window dressing
A win for the Liverpool country

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1579 on: December 18, 2014, 11:05:45 pm »
I am all over this theory now that you just get 4 top top strikers and a keeper that saves everything

The academy and some older heads will be fine for the rest, no-one defends anyway, last year proved not that the league rewards offense and only offense, the rest is window dressing

It's nigh on impossible to win things like the CL if you can't defend, plus top strikers tend to cost more than top defenders, and in general CBs are usually more "loyal"
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1580 on: December 18, 2014, 11:15:39 pm »
It's nigh on impossible to win things like the CL if you can't defend, plus top strikers tend to cost more than top defenders, and in general CBs are usually more "loyal"

We've spent on other areas this year and gone massively backwards because we can't score

Barca played midfielders and rejects in Pique at the back, Madrid and Barca spend nowhere else bar attacks

Everyone except arguably Chelsea are just completely offensive now, and they have spent 90% of their resources up front or attacking midfield

We've just missed the boat now - our CBs are loyal because they are onto a good thing, getting paid well to watch goals whistle past them. I'd just as soon pay Kolo and some academy guys to fill the same positions

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1581 on: December 18, 2014, 11:21:41 pm »
We've spent on other areas this year and gone massively backwards because we can't score

Barca played midfielders and rejects in Pique at the back, Madrid and Barca spend nowhere else bar attacks

Everyone except arguably Chelsea are just completely offensive now, and they have spent 90% of their resources up front or attacking midfield

We've just missed the boat now - our CBs are loyal because they are onto a good thing, getting paid well to watch goals whistle past them. I'd just as soon pay Kolo and some academy guys to fill the same positions

Barca had the greatest player of all time up top supported by Xavi and Iniesta, and at their peak Puyol and Pique were hardly bad, especially with Busquets and Mascherano about. Barca won't get near winning the CL this year because somebody like Chelsea or Atletico will deal with them, or Bayern will take them to pieces
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline RichardM

• should be revising rather than whining on here
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1582 on: December 18, 2014, 11:22:24 pm »
Just reading some of the comments in here, isn't it amazing what a win does! Great to see optimism around the boards again and long may it continue!

Sterling should continue to play up front because his mobility (regardless of finishing ability) allows us to play a more fluid and possession based attack, taking some of the pressure of the defence and allowing our creative players (Lallana, Markovic, Coutinho etc.) to dictate play more.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1583 on: December 18, 2014, 11:26:04 pm »
Just reading some of the comments in here, isn't it amazing what a win does! Great to see optimism around the boards again and long may it continue!

Sterling should continue to play up front because his mobility (regardless of finishing ability) allows us to play a more fluid and possession based attack, taking some of the pressure of the defence and allowing our creative players (Lallana, Markovic, Coutinho etc.) to dictate play more.

It needs to continue by beating Arsenal. We have to win that game. A loss would pretty much end our league season.

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1584 on: December 18, 2014, 11:30:09 pm »
Barca had the greatest player of all time up top supported by Xavi and Iniesta, and at their peak Puyol and Pique were hardly bad, especially with Busquets and Mascherano about. Barca won't get near winning the CL this year because somebody like Chelsea or Atletico will deal with them, or Bayern will take them to pieces

Xavi/Iniesta are virtually gone, as are Puyol and just about Pique, they have gone heavy investment in Neymar/Suarez to partner Messi
When they needed defenders, they shifted Masch rather than spend there

Just about everyone else has gone attacking and seen results or at least parity with it

Bayern and Chelsea are very strong up top, and Chelsea has spent nearly everything there to bring goals, our emphasis is just too pragmatic and needs to shift forwards

We just have far too few players that can make things happen

Offline Reeves

• Back from the dead. Bit simples.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "THE DISTANCE BETWEEN INSANITY AND GENIUS.........
    • RAWK
..........IS MEASURED ONLY BY SUCCESS"

RAWK - HJC Champions 2003
Former RAWK Scribe 2002 - 2004

Offline RedPat

• Legacy Fan
  • Kenny Godglish
« Reply #1586 on: December 19, 2014, 07:50:01 pm »
Funny the way most of us when describing Sterlings new role describe him as "playing up top" rather than saying "Sterling as striker" just a useless observation.
Kenny Godglish

Offline QC

• rawks Lionel Hutz, ambulance chaser.Sucks up to the wrong type of Mod.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1587 on: December 19, 2014, 07:50:52 pm »
It needs to continue by beating Arsenal. We have to win that game. A loss would pretty much end our league season.

The league season is already over imo. Beating Arsenal is still fun though.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1588 on: December 19, 2014, 07:55:49 pm »
The league season is already over imo. Beating Arsenal is still fun though.

Not in terms of points and until that happens we have to still hope we get better.

But lose to Arsenal and we are 8 points behind them and at least 10 points, 7 and 5 behind Utd, West Ham and Saints. Top 4 will be gone if that happens.

Offline QC

• rawks Lionel Hutz, ambulance chaser.Sucks up to the wrong type of Mod.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1589 on: December 19, 2014, 08:01:46 pm »
Not in terms of points and until that happens we have to still hope we get better.

But lose to Arsenal and we are 8 points behind them and at least 10 points, 7 and 5 behind Utd, West Ham and Saints. Top 4 will be gone if that happens.

I think because it's still early in the season the table flatters us. Arsenal have Ozil and Wilshere still to come back, and their key striker has just returned from injury so isn't going to burn out anytime soon. Overall their squad is in better shape, and have experience in consistently finishing in the top 4, so i expect them to maintain the trend.

Nonetheless, I guess there is still a distant hope we manage top 4. Mathematically that is.

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
« Reply #1590 on: December 19, 2014, 08:06:50 pm »
Origi arriving in January?

http://www.empireofthekop.com/anfield/2014/12/19/liverpool-set-terminate-divock-origis-loan-spell-early-will-pay-e6m-privilege/

Rumours from France, apparently denied by us. Not ready yet and not worth the extra cash. We need to buy a top striker as well as a keeper next month.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 08:08:21 pm by redprodigal »

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1591 on: December 19, 2014, 08:09:45 pm »
I think because it's still early in the season the table flatters us. Arsenal have Ozil and Wilshere still to come back, and their key striker has just returned from injury so isn't going to burn out anytime soon. Overall their squad is in better shape, and have experience in consistently finishing in the top 4, so i expect them to maintain the trend.

Nonetheless, I guess there is still a distant hope we manage top 4. Mathematically that is.

We can do it, no worries about that.  We just need to get our act together pretty sharpish!!

Offline RichardM

• should be revising rather than whining on here
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1592 on: December 19, 2014, 08:57:03 pm »
The thing is, apart from Lacazette there are no decent mobile, pacy strikers out there. Remy was one but the less said about that the better. I'm still against bringing Origi back early because I don't think it's fair on the lad but I can see why, should it happen.

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1593 on: December 19, 2014, 09:03:52 pm »

You need quality in central midfield, otherwise you are reduced to playing only on the counter attack. But I agree with you about the defensive positions, a team could make do with academy lads and free/cheap signings provided they have a great attack and competent midfield.

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #1594 on: December 19, 2014, 09:08:13 pm »

Thing is, we had an extremely well functioning midfield for most of last season. Gerrard was fantastic, Coutinho was imperious in the big games, Sterling ditto at the tip of the diamond, Henderson was a beast all season...
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Online lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #1595 on: December 19, 2014, 09:08:46 pm »

The thing is, apart from Lacazette there are no decent mobile, pacy strikers out there. Remy was one but the less said about that the better. I'm still against bringing Origi back early because I don't think it's fair on the lad but I can see why, should it happen.

You've issued a challenge to RAWK's all seeing, uber-continental scouting team there. Give it 10 minutes, you'll have 10 names no worries.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline The Infamous_LFC

• Doubting Thommo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1596 on: December 19, 2014, 09:39:03 pm »
If the club couldn't/can't identify a "pacy striker" which is not a very specialised skill its just athletic ability. We are in trouble.
We can do it, no worries about that.  We just need to get our act together pretty sharpish!!
I don't think we should sign another striker bring Origi over early and show faith in Balotelli with a Sturridge or Sterling upfront. Signing another striker smacks of desperation and for as long as the committee is still around I think we should cut back on signings . Maybe a winger or a top CM and of course a keeper.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 09:41:32 pm by The Infamous_LFC »

Offline elpistolero7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1597 on: December 19, 2014, 09:39:37 pm »
You've issued a challenge to RAWK's all seeing, uber-continental scouting team there. Give it 10 minutes, you'll have 10 names no worries.

Well, well, well.

Ciro Immobile and Jackson Martinez would have been my top choices. I've seen the latter play about 1700 times, cause I watch the Portugese league mid-wank on the weekends etc.

oh and a few lads such as Domenico Berardi   , cause I watch Sassuolo, like all the time, cause well, I watch 60 games a weekend, cause I'm just that awesome.

Offline elpistolero7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1598 on: December 19, 2014, 09:40:06 pm »
Wish we'd have gone for Eto'o or Villa on a one year deal instead of Lambert/Balotelli. Would have fit so, so much better.

Offline The Infamous_LFC

• Doubting Thommo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1599 on: December 19, 2014, 09:44:18 pm »
Balotelli needs more support ffs. Hes a top player it just hasn't clicked for him yet AND we are utterly shite at the moment.

Want to see him with Sturridge or Sterling for a few games before I start ignoring he is in our squad.