Author Topic: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain  (Read 756787 times)

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Welcome to Liverpool Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
« Reply #3960 on: January 21, 2021, 11:15:28 pm »
To be honest I am in love with his bird.

Offline Naby Lad

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3961 on: January 21, 2021, 11:15:33 pm »
Why? He hasn’t played there much recently, what are you basing your opinion on?
The times he did play there.

Can't control a ball. Can't pass. Can't play in tight spaces. Constantly wanders out of position and just stands wide or next to the bloody striker.

Champions

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3962 on: January 21, 2021, 11:16:11 pm »
The times he did play there.

Can't control a ball. Can't pass. Can't play in tight spaces. Constantly wanders out of position and just stands wide or next to the bloody striker.

When was that though can’t really remember.

Offline Naby Lad

• Kopite
« Reply #3963 on: January 21, 2021, 11:17:40 pm »
When was that though can’t really remember.

I'm not going to list all the times he's played CM.

He's played there just as often as he's played wide. The only decent thing he provides is the odd 30 blam to mask a poor performance.

But if you want to go with the argument he never plays there, then what you basis the idea of playing him there on then?
Champions

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3964 on: January 21, 2021, 11:17:48 pm »
Prior to the last injury; he was ok; not great. New injury and he will never be great; probably on a decent contract/nice guy and klopp likes him.. Still - move on. He's a passenger on big bucks now
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3965 on: January 21, 2021, 11:27:04 pm »
People are being disingenuous to suggest he's always been poor - he looked genuinely excellent for a period of time after he settled in and was in the starting eleven on merit. You can label it a purple patch if you want, the truth is we'll never know what his level would be like now if he didn't suffer a catastrophic near career-ending injury.

He's also no longer at the level we aspire to and is never likely to get the games he needs to play himself into proper form (if it's even possible given the injuries he's had).

Both of those statements can be simultaneously true, it's not an either-or. I feel for him because I like him a lot as a person and it's always gutting to see a player robbed by injuries, but it's spots like his, Origi's and a couple of others that we need to be focusing on in the summer. If we want to carry a small squad then it needs to be a squad with players who can contribute to the required level and for a long while now it's felt a little like he's just making up the numbers.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #3966 on: January 21, 2021, 11:33:20 pm »
When was the last time he finished a game? Must be our more subbed out player by a large margin, which could be an indicator of how ineffective he usually is.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3967 on: January 22, 2021, 02:00:17 am »
Injuries have completely robbed him. He can't play in this team (well when we are playing well).

Offline Simplexity

• Do we need the xity? (apparently not)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3968 on: January 22, 2021, 07:18:06 am »
I would play him at right back and see what happens.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3969 on: January 22, 2021, 07:19:47 am »
I would play him at right back and see what happens.

Possibly, but he is another who has two years left on his deal. I really think we need to be moving him on, he hasnt contributed enough and takes a fair chunk of wages.

Offline SMASHerano

• Provides nothing extra. Average poster.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 6-1 London
« Reply #3970 on: January 22, 2021, 07:19:50 am »
Feel bad for him because prior to that injury against Roma he was our best midfielder. Right now he isn't doing anything to justify his huge wages. I don't know if anyone will be able to match them considering his injury record and his non-existent performances since he got back from that injury. I guess we are stuck with him for the next 2 seasons and he either gets better or not.

Offline Simplexity

• Do we need the xity? (apparently not)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3971 on: January 22, 2021, 07:23:10 am »
Possibly, but he is another who has two years left on his deal. I really think we need to be moving him on, he hasnt contributed enough and takes a fair chunk of wages.

May as well try him there till the end of the season. He cannot possibly be worse than Trent at this point.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3972 on: January 22, 2021, 07:25:17 am »
May as well try him there till the end of the season. He cannot possibly be worse than Trent at this point.

We could but most times we dont even have a centreback on the field so I am sure Klopp would be worried with doing that.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3973 on: January 22, 2021, 07:27:26 am »
We could but most times we dont even have a centreback on the field so I am sure Klopp would be worried with doing that.

Alexander-Arnold was hardly rock solid at RB against Dwight McNeil. Got done up like a kipper twice and just switched off on at least one occasion.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3974 on: January 22, 2021, 07:29:44 am »
Alexander-Arnold was hardly rock solid at RB against Dwight McNeil. Got done up like a kipper twice and just switched off on at least one occasion.

You dont, as a manager, plan for that to happen though do you? You dont think oh Trent was shit defensively last game so i will put a midfielder at fullback despite my reservations and worries around how crap he might be at defending.

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3975 on: January 22, 2021, 07:30:48 am »
Through bad luck with injuries, Chamberlain and Keita have ended up being very little use to us whatsoever. Both were smart signings on paper and have done well for us at times, but Ox is a shadow of what he was with what his body has been through and Keita is never available. Assuming Gini leaves, we'll need at least one, if not two more forward-thinking midfielders in the summer that we can depend on.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 07:37:41 am by decosabute »

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3976 on: January 22, 2021, 07:31:44 am »
You dont, as a manager, plan for that to happen though do you? You dont think oh Trent was shit defensively last game so i will put a midfielder at fullback despite my reservations and worries around how crap he might be at defending.

Well no, but I guess it may reach a point of Alexander-Arnold continues to be pants at both ends of the pitch that Klopp could at least try and get something helpful going one way. Doubt it but Alexander-Arnold is bordering on unplayable and not in the good way.

Online RedKenWah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3977 on: January 22, 2021, 07:32:21 am »
I have sympathy for the lad, he’s had a horrendous injury record which each one has kind of robbed him of momentum when he was pretty much in the form of his life at one stage, but now it’s a little bit like the Adam Lallana situation. What makes it worse for him is that he needs his dynamic pace to do what he did best in midfield and that’s drive forward and add to the attacking part.

He probably needs a run in the team to get some form of level back but even though this is the perfect opportunity for him to grab giving everything going on, he’s not done enough to warrant it unfortunately, but it’s certainly his for the taking.

Playing him at RB would be interesting mind, certainly give TAA competition for sure.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 07:52:46 am by RedKenWah »

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3978 on: January 22, 2021, 07:33:21 am »
Well no, but I guess it may reach a point of Alexander-Arnold continues to be pants at both ends of the pitch that Klopp could at least try and get something helpful going one way. Doubt it but Alexander-Arnold is bordering on unplayable and not in the good way.

Maybe. He does have some of the qualities. To be honest i am thinking of the longer term.

Offline Reeves

• Back from the dead. Bit simples.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "THE DISTANCE BETWEEN INSANITY AND GENIUS.........
    • RAWK
« Reply #3979 on: January 22, 2021, 07:49:56 am »
To be honest I am in love with his bird.

;D
..........IS MEASURED ONLY BY SUCCESS"

RAWK - HJC Champions 2003
Former RAWK Scribe 2002 - 2004

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #3980 on: January 22, 2021, 07:58:53 am »
I don't see what he offers at all now. At least Keita is productive when he actually gets on the pitch.

It's like playing with 10 men. He's a great lad and it's a shame what the injuries have done to his career, but we can't carry him.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3981 on: January 22, 2021, 08:04:17 am »
To be honest even though he perhaps didn't have the greatest impact on the game, I'm glad that he was involved. Before the game I had thought we should freshen things up and bring in some new faces to introduce a little unpredictability and variation in the way we play.

I doubt that he has quite go his rhythm but I think that both he and Shaq bring us a bit of goal threat from outside the box. If they can really go hard at training to get their shooting boots on then it might mean teams will be less keen to let them have the ball on the edge of the area (or even further out). That might just invite a little bit more room for the players.

Up until now, all our goal threat has pretty much just been Mane or Salah getting in the area and other teams have shown that if you just crowd around them and get legs in the way then they don't really score any goals.

Offline ep1987

• Emiliano Insua head coach
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #3982 on: January 22, 2021, 09:28:18 am »
To be honest even though he perhaps didn't have the greatest impact on the game, I'm glad that he was involved. Before the game I had thought we should freshen things up and bring in some new faces to introduce a little unpredictability and variation in the way we play.

If your idea of unpredictability is whether a player will control the ball or not then sure. His poor performance was entirely predictable based on all recent evidence; as others have said he was in flying form before his injury but that was almost three years ago.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3983 on: January 22, 2021, 10:17:17 am »
I'm not sure Ox is ever gonna be the player that I and I'm sure others envisage him to be when looking at his fundamentals, e.g a solid 10+ goal a season player. That doesn't mean he can't still contribute to the team but I guess when you look at our mix in midfield, we are crying out for a reliable scorer and if Klopp and his team also feel this way and want to bring someone in, I think he is at risk

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3984 on: January 22, 2021, 11:36:59 am »
Shame the injury jinx followed him to Liverpool. He had the potential to be incredible, Wilshere was another one, hes now at Bournemouth on a pay as you play!.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #3985 on: January 22, 2021, 11:45:01 am »
Should never ever play as one of the front three, he just can't do it. Great in midfield but God knows why we persist with him up top anywhere, never had a good game for us up there

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #3986 on: January 22, 2021, 12:07:50 pm »
Should never ever play as one of the front three, he just can't do it. Great in midfield but God knows why we persist with him up top anywhere, never had a good game for us up there

A couple of months ago I criticised him for not knowing what to do as a front 3 and it seems like the problem persisted. Maybe he will never have that kind of instinct in a forward role.

But generally he has regressed since coming back at the end of last season. It was a breath of fresh air when he joined us in 17/18 but have been steadily in decline following his injury.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3987 on: January 22, 2021, 12:08:13 pm »
Shame the injury jinx followed him to Liverpool. He had the potential to be incredible, Wilshere was another one, hes now at Bournemouth on a pay as you play!.

Did he have a bad one at Arsenal too?  I know he was regularly injured, but did he have one like he did against Roma for us?

Shame really, he was a cracking player for us that season, in the form of his life!  He offered that drive and shooting from distance that nobody else seems to have.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #3988 on: January 22, 2021, 12:12:28 pm »
When gini made that run in the 2nd half...I could imagine Ox doing this also

I want him to get back to doing things like that, he has it in him
Definitely a confidence player and i think we need to try him centrally more, give him license to get forward and never know...he is dangerous around the box too

he's been back for a bit now and is another one of ours that look a bit jaded, want to see more from him
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Andy-oh-six

• Legacy Fan
  • Mr Susan in 'the world of mirrors'...
« Reply #3989 on: January 22, 2021, 12:16:47 pm »
He looked upset when he came off. I read it as a reflection of him knowing that he was very poor rather being upset because he was coming off. It’s sad to see how little he contributes.
Internet terrorist

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3990 on: January 22, 2021, 12:40:37 pm »
Did he have a bad one at Arsenal too?  I know he was regularly injured, but did he have one like he did against Roma for us?

Shame really, he was a cracking player for us that season, in the form of his life!  He offered that drive and shooting from distance that nobody else seems to have.
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/alex-oxlade-chamberlain/verletzungen/spieler/143424

He had a number of knee injuries at Arsenal which kept him out for a few months at a time but nothing as bad as the one against Roma.

Offline AmSeeker

• ABbitOfAnAttention
  • Main Stander
« Reply #3991 on: January 22, 2021, 12:44:54 pm »
It will take him time, and a number of games to get up to the levels.

The problem is once he reaches those levels, he'll get injured again. The cycle never ends.

Shouldn't be carrying such injury prone players - were warned before signing him.

Offline Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
« Reply #3992 on: January 22, 2021, 12:58:43 pm »
So sorry for him, he seems a really great guy who genuinely cares for the club.

Sadly there's no room for sentiment and he's a very long way from becoming the player he was. Personally I think that his time as a first team player here are over.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #3993 on: January 22, 2021, 01:04:06 pm »

How was he at right back for you NB?...played there a couple of times didn't he?....the all hands to the pump nature of this season means he might have to fill in there in the not too distant!
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3994 on: January 22, 2021, 01:07:56 pm »

I remember this one because I was there, first home game of the season in August, he was on fire, set up Giroud for a goal and was running the game down the wing. Then...

Arsenal's Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain has revealed he could be out of action until November.
The England international, 20, was injured during Saturday's 3-1 Premier League defeat by Aston Villa.
t the player tweeted:"Gutted I'm injured so early in the season. But I'm going to be working hard to hopefully be back playing in three months."
He is likely to miss England's World Cup qualifiers against Moldova and Ukraine next month.
Wenger said Oxlade-Chamberlain may not require surgery but added: "He will be out for at least six weeks. He has a posterior cruciate problem, a ligament which is stretched."

He didn't come back till the new year. His career with us was always like that. Work your way into the team - Get in top physical shape- Become one of our best players- Breakdown- Miss months..... Then do the same again.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3995 on: January 22, 2021, 01:12:00 pm »
How was he at right back for you NB?...played there a couple of times didn't he?....the all hands to the pump nature of this season means he might have to fill in there in the not too distant!

Played as a wing back in a back 5, including in the cup final victory over Chelsea. Very good going forward, when he can run onto the game and see it infront of him, it gives him a chance to get to top speed as runs faster over long distances than short bursts.

Ball over his head was a calamity though, didn't know where he was in relation to the centre backs and the goal, he hasn't got the awareness for it.

I don't expect hed be doing much defending most games at Liverpool so its worth a try. 

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #3996 on: January 22, 2021, 01:26:52 pm »
Played as a wing back in a back 5, including in the cup final victory over Chelsea. Very good going forward, when he can run onto the game and see it infront of him, it gives him a chance to get to top speed as runs faster over long distances than short bursts.

Ball over his head was a calamity though, didn't know where he was in relation to the centre backs and the goal, he hasn't got the awareness for it.

I don't expect hed be doing much defending most games at Liverpool so its worth a try.

Got to be...not expecting a mid-career masterclass renaissance a'la Ray Kennedy...just an assist for one of those things again?...what are they called?...oh yeah, goals, would do at the moment!
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #3997 on: January 22, 2021, 01:39:36 pm »
The problem with Ox isn't just that he had a serious injury, the problem is that particular injury was a big one in a long line of other injuries. I'd happily take the patient approach with him if his general injury record was sound but unfortunately it isn't and as he gets older with more wear and tear and with a seemingly natural tendency to pick up injuries, I don't see how he gets close to previous levels and/or gets a consistent run in the side without breaking down.

I think he's a boss lad and tries hard but it seems that his body isn't there at the minute.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3998 on: January 22, 2021, 01:44:04 pm »
He hasn't played in midfield, he'll go a run of games where he doesn't play then suddenly stuck out on the wing, I think some of you may have unrealistic expectations of players. You want them to come back from injuries not play for a number of games, get played out of position in a team deflated of confidence and still be world beaters?

Offline Naby Lad

• Kopite
« Reply #3999 on: January 22, 2021, 02:20:53 pm »
He hasn't played in midfield, he'll go a run of games where he doesn't play then suddenly stuck out on the wing, I think some of you may have unrealistic expectations of players. You want them to come back from injuries not play for a number of games, get played out of position in a team deflated of confidence and still be world beaters?

He wasn't good when he played midfield for a team posting 99 points last season. Most of his 'good' performances were just the same as his bad ones only masked by him blamming in a shot from 30 yards.

He made 43 appearances last season, are you really saying he didn't play midfield in any of those?
Champions